/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440s - best price/performance ultra portable
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, mini dp, no
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: ThinkHedge.jpg (3024x4032, 625K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-W701DS-17-LED-Laptop-With-Core-i7-1-60GHz-8GB-RAM-Broken-1TB-HD-/302977782843?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137
amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T420-Bluetooth-Professional/dp/B01498VPYI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1544175817&sr=1-1
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

x230-san is best

Attached: 1515301560340.png (598x192, 65K)

Does anyone have the Lenovo perks password/code.

Is there a tutorial to remove the whitelist of a T440p without the need of a programmer?
I remember that someone was shilling the T440p because its whitelist can be removed with a certain BIOS revision.

#GOBBLE I think

dunno i whitelisted mine with a programmer
tweaked the bios myself though, fuck paying a jew for something so simple

I have a programmer already. but I want info in the non programmer mod.
It appears that I misinterpreted the whole thing. I still need to use the shitty programmer.
Oh, well.

Which generation of the X1 Carbon do you guys recommend?

Attached: 1543803736167.jpg (1536x2048, 247K)

I have an Ideapad 110-15IBR.
Any advices on what I should upgrade or something?

Hey bros, where to buy battery replacements for an x230? I thought about Lenovo, but won't anything from there be old stock?

t.thinkpad newbie

I buy them from Aliexpress

x230

Idk, some people on eBay offer year warranties and offer new OEM

Just replaced the single-pipe heatsink in my T420 with a double-pipe one. I don't know why it's such a big difference, I didn't realize that the single pipe was as wide as the two pipes together, but it does. I was previously idling at low to mid 50s, and now I idle in the mid-to-high 40s. Games were previously hitting a thermal cap of 80C and thermal throttling, and now they hover in the high-60s to mid-70s, without throttling. Same IC and everything. I don't know what the secret sauce is that fixed everything, but I'm pretty satisfied with how it turned out, second most effective 10bux I've spent on this Thinkpad since I started modding it.

Attached: 1543664097397.jpg (680x680, 47K)

what is the discord for tpg?

kill.yourself.fgt

I have the following choice:

Refurbished T430 - 200.00 €
i5-3320M 2x2,6 GHz 22 nm
4 GB RAM (1x4GB, 1 free slot)
Intel HD 4000 GPU
500 GB HDD
1600 x 900 Display
5h battery life

Used T530 - 213.90 €
i7 3520M 2x2,9 GHz 22 nm
4 GB RAM (1x4GB, 1 free slot)
nVidia NVS 5400M
500 GB HDD
1600 x 900 Display
"working" battery

Which one should I get?

t430

>buy an x61
>some guy dies so the post office is closed
>it still hasn't shipped

Interesting. I should see what's in my x220 and replace the thermal paste if it's the double.

That is an adorable little hedgehog. What is his or her name?

>he doesn't know

Attached: fucking lol.png (402x420, 169K)

>Which one should I get?
You're missing a crucial requirement to make this decision, namely what you want to do with the fucking thing.

>order socks with free 2day shipping from amazon on tuesday
>they would have been here a day early if not for that old warmonger finally descending into hell
fucking bush is such a fag man

Buying a SSD, a i7 quadcore CPU, upgrade to 8 GB RAM to finally install Qubes with some VMs.

how long would gentoo base + X + openbox + qutebrowser take to compile on an X200?

I will just program on this thing.

Asked in /fglt/, but I figured I'd ask here too. I recently got a new 9 cell for my x230, and the xfce power manager is displaying the battery specs wrong, saying that it's 139% charged. Will this negatively affect anything and if so how do I fix it?

Attached: Screenshot_2018-12-06_21-07-59.png (629x557, 58K)

Would it be possible to put an USB 3.1 Type-C port with Thunderbolt in a X230 using the Expresscard slot? It has a 1x PCI-E lane right?

I have a T-420 running dual-booting Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and Windows 7. My windows 7 mouse does not work at all not even in safe mode. But it works fine in Ubuntu. Any solutions?

Just got mine in a few days ago and i love her so much. Lightweight, compact, and just a joy to use.

I would choose the T430

>you will never be a hedgehog

Attached: help.png (255x250, 89K)

install gentoo

Wew lad

SO x230 user HERE

I replaced the thermal paste, fucking pain in the ass. Then a key somehow got stuck after i put the keyboard back on and then I fixed it. AND THEN MY SSD wouldn't fit in the drive so it took some more time.

My idle temps are 45C after all that work, baka im never opening this shit up again besides the msata install.

x230 owner here, yeah that's probably a good idea if ur not a backpack hoe

i bought this thing on ebay for $600

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-W701DS-17-LED-Laptop-With-Core-i7-1-60GHz-8GB-RAM-Broken-1TB-HD-/302977782843?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137

i replaced the keyboard with the keyboard of my dead R60. now i need to tear it down to see what's wrong with the second screen. xrandr doesn't even detect it. if i can find a wacom palmrest, i'll buy that too as i lurk aliexpress. everything else seems solid aside from that, nice laptop.

- CPU could be upgraded to Core i7-940XM
- supports 32GB ram
- two hard drives
- two thinklights
- eGPU compatible

Attached: 20181206_212421.jpg (4160x3120, 2.62M)

also the bios is like the T60 bios, but it's Core i7

Attached: 20181206_213315.jpg (3120x4160, 2.82M)

Snagged a t440s for 230$, did I do good?

>be sitting in the comfy seat at uni
>some wheelchair asshole rolls up like a fag
>asks me to move
>don't want to
>fuckin bithc goes crying to the professor, prof makes me move
>everyone in class acting like I'm the bad guy
>just wanted the extra space for my thinkpad and second monitor

fucking disableds are insufferable, selfish bastards

he didn't even have to attend class, all the lectures are recorded and posted online anyhow

Attached: 1536041944708.jpg (800x495, 41K)

sliding out your second screen is flexing the #1 chad power move

Seriously though why did the 8 key on my keyboard get stuck? x230 here

i don't even know how i fixed it

Just switched the hdd to ssd. Currently waiting on new keyboard. Still conflicted on whether to swap the case with a new one or just cover it with stickers tho. But overall, loving this thing.

Repostan;
realistically, how much should a britfag pay for a mint uxga t60p? there's one for £250 which is way more than I would pay for a regular t60 but it's the first uxga I've seen in years

Attached: 1495153362202.jpg (1256x819, 709K)

thinking of getting a t420 for some programming on the go and general computing when i’m not at my desktop. what’s the bad points of a t420? and how hard is the quad core mod?

Two weeks into waiting for my X220...

It arrives on Monday, haven't killed myself yet.

max 1600x900 screen
Get a good battery! Then it is fine for on the go.
Quad Core Mod is easy, as long as you stay with Sandy Bridge

Great Keyboard!

How much should I pay for a x201 with 8 gigs of ram and a ssd, The price is 100 eur.

New job is letting me buy any laptop.

t480s for linux vs x1 Gen6. Can't decide. Any thoughts on the t480s?

No.

Ignore the first tard to reply.
Max 1920x1080 IPS display with adapter board that’s plug and play (niggers will try and argue flicker; updated mod and no issues myself along with countless others) but will cost you about $130 said and done. Personally the only real issue I ever had was screen, so if you’re willing to shell out the extra money it’s worth it in my eyes. If I was you I’d entirely skip the T420 and just buy a T430, but you’ll need to buy a classic keyboard extra if that’s what you’re wanting.

is there much quality difference between the 1600x900 displays on the 420 and 430?

No, they’re both equally shit, but better than the 1366x768. If you buy a T420/T430 with the 1366x768 panel, you’ll have to get a cable too when you upgrade to the 1600x900 panel. Just a heads up.

alright, i'll probably get one with a 1600x900 and see how long i can put up with the screen then. thanks for the info

>New job is letting me buy any laptop.
>t480s for linux vs x1 Gen6. Can't decide.
Wtf? How did you manage to get a job, if you arent't capable to decide such questions of minor importance...?

>thinkpads are known for its freetardation, corebootshit among loonix freetards
>discord
I hope you were baiting

Do you guys ever worry that there's some hardware backdoor in your refurbished thinkpad?

True story time.
>Been seeing the /tpg/ threads for a few years
>For some reason, start craving one, fantasizing that I'm clicking away, programming some shit with it
>Finally buy one, refurb T410
>Fucking amazing, boner.gif
>All is well, until about two months of use
>Building full-stack web applications, react, node, etc.
>T410 randomly shuts off
>wtf
>Boot up, try again.
>All is good for about a week or two
>Starts randomly shutting off
>Figure out it's overheating
>Purchase an entire toolkit, thermal paste and get to work
>Repasted 3 times in the hopes to fix
>Got better, but didn't fix
>Finally decide to repaste one last time
>Praying all is well
>It doesn't work
>Massive autism rage ensues
>Stab thinkpad with screwdriver, throw Thinkpad at wall, running towards it, stomping on it a few times
>Smash it into the garbage can
>Mfw my mom was in the next room
>Now on T430, dreading the day this thing starts failing

You sound like a faggot. Keep it up and you’ll go far.

it's just impossible to get rid of botnets completely for 100%

Just bought a x230 bro
feels good

You mean something planted afterwards, not from the original hardware manufacturers? No. It would be a lot of effort for whoever is hiding the backdoor, and not a lot of obvious gain.
If someone wanted a backdoor on my laptop (either mine specifically, or just any laptop) there are easier ways than running a whole laptop refurbishing business.

Did the temperature sensors actually show it overheating?

A complete Linux newfag here. Is it okay to pick up Debian as my starter distro? I prefer to avoid distro-jumping and just eant a stable and supported os.

Debian is good

i use debian and i like it a lot, never had any issues

#/tpg/ at irc.rizon.net

Looking to buy a new laptop and Thinkpad is at the top of my list. My biggest issue is my inability to find one with a decent graphics card. Not crazy into gaming but I wanna at least be able to play oblivion on medium settings. Link below is pretty much exactly what I’m looking for, but I want a better graphics card and intel turbo boost. Any ideas? Also where else besides Amazon and eBay can I find cheap think pads that aren’t broken?

amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T420-Bluetooth-Professional/dp/B01498VPYI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1544175817&sr=1-1

Where's a reliable place I can get replacement keycaps? The F key on my T431s comes undone at the slightest press of the left side.

I have t480s and it's great, I think it's better than x1c6 because of superior i/o also comes with optional nvidia graphics if light gaming is your thing

The T420s is a decent model right? How much should i expect to pay for it? Found one for sale at ~95$. Looks like it's in very good condition.
Cop or nah?

Attached: t420s.jpg (1600x900, 158K)

Is the build quality really that bad on the w540/1

The 'OEM' 9 cell I bought is 10WH under specs and manufactured by SANYO for Lenovo, wtf. Do I return it? I bought it for $40.

faggot, work on your issues

Yes, the keys can scratch the screen from what I've seen reading the archives and looking on ebay.

Me too bro.
>tfw you finally took the ThinkPill

Anyone else have issues with their x220 fan being loud as all Hell?

I've replaced it once before about four years ago, but I bought my x220 in '11 so it's more than seven years old. Is this thing just getting old?

in awe the size of this lad absolute unit

Attached: 20181207_133304.jpg (3120x4160, 3.51M)

>W701ds
Where did you find it?

ebay

Attached: 20181207_133625_.jpg (4160x3120, 3.17M)

install thinkfan

nice stax

I've been using one for 3 years now and the only "issue" is that the trackpoint can touch the screen if the lid is closed and you press on the lid. It leaves a small circular smudge.

Get a W541 with the K2200M graphics.
My W541 with a K1100M can play Skyrim fine.

hello friends
wanting a refurb thinkpad for qubes can choose any really under $250 or so, i was thinking t450 or t440. is there any advantage to t430, t420? upgradeable cpus? i like 16gb ram

>keyboard scratches screen

i fully realize this is newb question but i have difficulty finding the data indexed in a way that i can review easily

warosu.org

Jow Forums archive, and then search keyboards to view certain Jow Forums posts. I'd recommend the t430 as I just got a x230 and all. I took it apart to replace the thermal paste so I have a decent feel for it, they're built well. Quite retard proof and easily fixable.

thanks mate i'll have a look. i only know the t series from the qubes compatibility page but maybe there is value in looking at W or osmething as well

>idle temps are actually closer to 40C to 35C

W is heavy, I looked into it a bit. Some people had the keyboard scratch the w540 screen, this is shown in the archive and some ebay listings. w530 or w520 probably a good bet but i never owned one

also i expect it is not as cheap as finding somewhere else but newegg / arrow refurbs are on sale right now both price cut and promo code

it seems like the most cost effective way to do this is to do the t440p and then buy a 4800MQ off ebay (burger) ssd and ram are easy enough to come by

Whats the best thinkpad for being a fucking retard

the most expensive one you can find

x230 easily
>portability to transport your rerardation anywhere
>strong max specs to be a retard faster

pulled the trigger $190 out the door probably will drop $40 for one of the procs thanks man

>windows 7 sticker
>not installing windows 7
Herecy

Depends where are you from. RAM, SSD, HDD, also there is two kinds of screen...

Thinkpad thermals are fucked really.
>Like fucking ovens up to 30 series
>Super cool and nice 40 series
> A bit worse 50 series
From there, it has gone to shit. With the recent models being having case temperatures up to 50+ C
It's partly Intel's fault though

Beautyful.