Google is working to remove gender bias in its translations

>engadget.com/2018/12/07/google-remove-gender-bias-translations/
>Google has taken a step towards reducing gender bias on the Google Translate website. In the past, when a word could be translated in either a masculine or feminine form, only one translation was provided, and because Google Translate learns from existing examples of translations, biases in those samples can be transferred to Translate's responses. That could sometimes result in words like "strong" or "doctor" leading to masculine translations while words like "nurse" or "beautiful" could produce feminine translations. Now, however, for certain languages, Translate will offer both a masculine and a feminine translation when either might be appropriate.

Attached: Translate.jpg (1000x587, 40K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singular_they
twitter.com/AnonBabble

thats cool, why not just write she/he is a doctor.

also they tend to do subtle things like list the feminine variant first for obvious reasons

what about for languages where it is clear whether or not a female or male is being described (such as spanish)

that is actually useful, not just some SJW shit.

>i provided two translations for this documents: one that assumes every human is female, and one that assumes that every human is male
>hope that you find this useful

The number of versions will grow exponentially with the number of ambiguous (pro)nouns

How does this sentence in this cuck language work in practice then? If I say that sentence, what dictates if it's feminine or masculine

Why couldn't they write "they are a doctor." Or is that an improper translation?

based turkish is gender neutral from the beginning

not an issue, this appears to be just for contextual stuff. (french student here)

he and she? only 2 options? where the fuck is xir and jew

>that person is a doctor
Here I made this possible to understand even for a termite that only peaks English.

What about languages that have clear distinction between masculine, feminine and neutral, such as German?

This is actual Communism in action.

Attached: 1_0iduNkc1Eh5GSgd8eSL4cA.png (1024x1303, 1.9M)

What if I'm multigender and prefer 'they'?

>Translate will offer both a masculine and a feminine translation when either might be appropriate.
nothing wrong with that. just don't tell the 27 gender crowd.

based google

Attached: Screenshot_20181207_060730.png (764x448, 35K)

implied gender in that language, they is gender netrual, ""o"" is contextual apparently. notice its "is a" rather than "are a"

That's not correct grammar.

>they are a doctor
So they are conjoined twins?
Better to just use "it is a doctor".

people are no "it" though.
I agree with this one

>that person is a doctor
that doesnt work because you lose location. that person over here, there, on tv??????

Location was not specified in the first place.

Where's the location in the original sentence?

>people are no "it" though.
'It' is just a genderless pronoun.
And we even use it for living things that have genders when we don't know them. Not using it for people is just being inconsistent and we can solve that much easier than by creating more inconsistent rules.

exactly, it doesnt work because he is already has location implied by context

No, location is not implied by context.

Added to this, when stating the gender of a newborn it's often said "it's a boy/girl", so we already DO use it for people in some cases.

>also they tend to do subtle things like list the feminine variant first for obvious reasons

At least for now it doesen't change based on the word.

Attached: google.png (1299x321, 25K)

Using it in this context is incorrect. You're free to advocate for this change to English language, but not in a translation tool.

"they" could imply a multiple of people.

Wondering if "they're a doctor" isn't the best translation here.
I can imagine they've mislead people in languages like German before.

Yes but singular they is denoted by the adjective and the rest of the sentence being singular oriented.
"They're doctors" is different from "They're a doctor".

He's swimming?

>try to translate a couple of paragraphs from french (or whatever language) to english
>many words get botched and the overall meaning goes to shit
>but hey at least they got he/she right

That's what you get for using a stupid algorithm instead of an intelligent human.

I didn't say it wasn't tricky. In the context of translations it's especially tricky. Other languages are much more consistent than English so obviously we will have situations where the translation suffers in its specificity.
I would opt for "he/she is swimming" in the translation here but that's because I don't know better. Either way not supposed to be writing for you it's supposed to inform the reader on the meaning of the sentence. But singular they is much better where it can be used. And admittedly I'm not a linguistic expert. Maybe you could use they there while retaining the shortness of the sentence and keeping the singular.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singular_they

So they're mistranslated tranny translations. Neat.

Also some languages probably don't have gender non-specific words. He/she will be required there.

Actually it can be perfectly fine in this context, it all depends on what noun (subject) you're converting into a pronoun.

>stupid marketing team putting another spin on feature
i think this is just to cater for languages that have different words for each gender (like in french or italian), or at least thats is what it should have been. giving it an sjw propaganda frontface just makes google look stupid, again

SCREAMS IN RICHARD STALLMAN VOICE

I'd love that for verbs and whole sentences. Writing with my croatian gf is hard af as i know little odf the grammar.

>SCREAMS IN RICHARD STALLMAN VOICE
did you mean "SCREAMS IN RACHEL STALLMAN VOICE"?

Yeah, kinda silly to give it a "WE'RE REMOVING -GENDER-BIAS- FROM OUR TRANSLATIONS" title when it's really more like:
"We're giving multiple translations for when gender is contextual or not implied in a statement, so you can see which might be more correct to the situation."

Only retarded.

lmao, can it do things like "she is a man"? would be 10/10

I actually support this feature. I mean, there's a lot of languages out there that doesn't have gender-specific noun like he/she in english, so for a bit of a better understanding of the language, why not?
I mean, HAHHHAHAHA GOOGLE MAN BAD AMIRITE FELLAS???
fuck their new policies on gmaps api though.

The only thing ambiguous about this is why people have not gotten the rope ready to hang these faggots.
Trans are THE WORST part of LGBT. Prove me wrong.

Come join me for some fun.

>my language has no pronouns or any any gendered grammar except for professions

Checkmate google

Attached: supreme.jpg (235x195, 13K)

My nation is one step ahead, gender studies are banned in unis altogether here

Szerintem ugyan arrol az orszagrol beszelunk user

Ejj, a kurva istenit Béla, te meg mit csinálsz itt?

good, you shouldn't need to go to school to figure out what the two genders are

using they for a single person is subhuman and wrong

Szarposztolas /dpt/-ben es sok egyeb

Es te?

Attached: 1523199601988.jpg (419x610, 39K)

if they give both he and she that's 100% fine. But if they start pushing the singular "they" it's gonna be confusing as fuck for people just picking up the language

They is incorrect either way.

>also they tend to do subtle things like list the feminine variant first for obvious reasons
or because technically, all humans are born female first until the Y chromosomes trigger developmental changes.

Matek javító zh-ra készülve nézek fel Jow Forums-re egy párszor. Mindenből megvan a rövid vizsga csak a szaros matekból nem.

>They were a bunch of faggots
Seems perfectly fine to me.

just put default female for everything (except when in conjunction with a bad word) and that's it.

Hutesa most kene majd eldontenem hova megyek de nagyon fosok a matektol. Az obudait akarom megcelozni

>Szarposztolas
does this translate to shitposting? Google translate ain't giving me shit on this word

I'm more surprised they didn't add xe/ze/zir/fir/thum/zu/xir

Deriválás, integrálás meg differenciálegyenlet mindenhol lesz, úgyhogy közel tökmindegy hol szopod meg.

>They were being a faggot.

>she is a doctor

For like 4 months then she gets married, knocked up, and never returns to practicing medicine. Money well spent on medical school.

Exactly. Szar is means shit. Posztolas means posting

Just tried it in google and what the fuck

mar erzem hogy imadni fogom. Ohh es hogy mennyit fogom majd munka kozbe hasznalni!

Attached: Screenshot_2018-12-07-15-02-27.png (1440x2560, 169K)

kekus maximus

>implying there are only two genders
triggered

A) Makes copy/pasting more difficult if you don't want a "he/she"
B) You can't distinguish if the original text literally had a "he/she" equivalent, so it's no longer a proper translation
C) It might not flow properly or make sense in context of the translation

They have 'bisexual' in LGBT. Pretty much admitting it.

This depends entirely on the language, but more often than not this is going to further reduce the accuracy of their translation even more than it is now, which it's current state is fucking pitiful.

Many developed languages have very strict words for feminine and masculine nouns adverbs and subject markers. I hope they're taking extra care.

Isn't there an entire book and theology behind the reduction of language as a means to control population think? I'm pretty sure Orwell's 1984 touches on this as well.

Ha gazdasági irányba mozogsz akkor sokat fogod használni, videó játékok irányába úgyszintén, statisztika főleg. A lényeg, hogy mire kikerülsz egyetemről papíron tudjad, a többi le van szarva.
Én pl gazdinfón vagyok most, de inkább infó irányba fogok majd mozogni, mert faszom fog bajlódni ezzel a matek szarral fejből. Később ha kell úgyis ki lehet lesni valami könyvből vagy netről.

ah magyar cygany

Hi Jow Forums!
Technically the left is incorrect since you could have it translated to either gender. It has nothing to do with gender equality, but it has to do with giving correct translations, since the word could either be he or she in English. Now fuck off back to Jow Forums, there's a reason we split off from you retard faggots.

Anyád cigány, te 56%-os geciputtony.

Some languages may have gender take form in adjectives and verbs, other than just pronouns. Getting results split into two for gender-specific variations is preferable.

oh the irony

From what I understand of French translating "he or she is a doctor" is pretty straight forward and has only one translation.

I cant think of too many translations where it would need both or get confused other than if you say "they are a doctors" because it could be "ils" or "elles" depending on the genders of the doctors. "ils" would be fine to use for the situation anyway.

It's been a while since I took french. Which pronoun do you use in the general case of they, like when referring to a group of both men/women? "ils" right?

Can we just have one neutral pronoun for everybody and get this dumb shit over with please

correct.

"elles" if its purely women but im pretty sure you can still use "ils" for a group of women and its accepted but not preferred.

it.

Protip, most male pronouns can also be use as a generic pronoun when refering to a person of an unknown gender.

Because that would be a intentional mistranslation. What google did is fine.

>...all humans are born female...
Troll or extremely dumb?

You don't know how biology works.

>i have never seen a baby

probably because even though the sentence is grammatically correct, in a colloquial sense the word 'they' is more commonly used to refer to multiple people, and this might confuse someone who isn't fluent in the english language (like someone looking for a translation to from their native language to english)

he means that all humans begin as female as a zygote before they receive "the androgen bath" that differentiates men from women, which is ultimately correct.

No, I'm a robot and I don't want to be lumped together with the fleshbags

>per(son)
that's an offensive term.
that individual is a doctor is the less offensive way to put it.

But French, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, and a bunch of other languages are entirely based on gender.

Attached: 1543730028793.jpg (487x498, 78K)

Communism respects male and female. The Worker and the Kolkhoz.

Wait, how would it work for shit like
>La mela (the apple)
>La donna (the woman)
>il uomo (the man)

Based on the title I thought this was some SJW shit, but I honestly don't see anything wrong with this.

wtf based