Windows 7 vs. Windows 10 LTSB Enterprise

I've been using pic related for about 6 years now. Unfortunately they are ceasing support now. AMD drivers don't get updates anymore, I get "hardware not supported" messages if I forget to enable wufuc and many drivers are not supported.

I know there is a version of Windows 10 without the spying, forced updates and much of the shit it usually contains, but I still don't like it. Is there any real benefit over Windows 7? How is it to use Windows 7 in the current year, can I even install it properly when using NVMe drives?

Please share YOUR experiences (only if you have these systems).
>Inb4 "install Gentoo"

Attached: system.jpg (2259x1143, 219K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/doitsujin/dxvk
youtube.com/watch?v=y332ilSEI7k
youtube.com/watch?v=kYC4Fpb32mQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Use linux with wine.

64 bit dotnet is entirely functional now.

Windows 10 LTSB has a better built-in antivirus than Win7.

Seriously, get LTSB, it's just objectively better than 7 plus you'll get better and longer support. Be advised tho: You can't install Visual Studio on win10 LTSB (well in fact you can install vs 2013 but latest isn't supported).

>I know there is a version of Windows 10 without the spying
There isn't

>you can't install Visual Studio on LTSB
what? why?

>antivirus
windoze is a malware

Wine can still not into DX11 or did anything change?
How is it better, they both use Windows Defender?

What downsides does LTSB have? I don't want telemetry, background processes, forced updates. MS Store seems to be removed too (Which is a plus for me).

I have two systems, my newer 2700X based system also has a weird bug or problem, the bootup is extremly slow, sometimes my network adapter doesn't function or needs ~1m to activate.

So far the only downside of 7 seems to be the need of a driver for NVMe, but I can probably figure it out where to get it. Both systems are relatively new, one has a Pascal GPU, one a Radeon 480. The latest driver is from 2017.

I'm still using Windows 7 with updates disabled. Works fine. CommonSense™ AntiVirus is very strong and protects you from most threats

Attached: 1543226441527.jpg (300x300, 28K)

Things changed big time bro. Wine can into dx11 with roughly no performance penalty, and they're working on getting dx12 there, too.

While you slept the universe has shifted it's entire reality.
Wine has full directX running at 90% of native performance by just shoveling it into Vulkan calls.

github.com/doitsujin/dxvk
youtube.com/watch?v=y332ilSEI7k

Steam now integrates that solution for gaming, calling it Proton, just fire up a windows game and play it is the idea.

Defender? I'm using it for many years and never had problems. Of course I don't download [songname].exe

Any link? I tried out Antergos, but would not put it on my main rig without true DX11 support. Which means I can run things like Vermintide 2 in 4K without any performance penalty like on my current setup.
Thanks, I'll look into it. It would be a dream to run Windows game under Antergos.

If you're interested linux has mandatory access controls such as SElinux that turn it into an unbreakable wall for most potential malware, as everything in linux, even the hardware, counts as a file, you can just restrict access with SElinux and use those profile for adamant tier preventative security.

The days of lol you got infected now let's clean up -after the fact- using this freaky antimalware black box can end as soon as you want them to.

Is there a difference between LTSC and LTSB?

I haven't gotten infected since I used Windows Vista. That was 2013 when I was homeless and this was the only laptop I had.

Use the latest wine 3.21 with dxvk and see how it takes it.
You'll need to install dotnet452 and vcrun2015 with winetricks for that game.

Dotnet being fixed in 3.20 got Space Engineers working for me.

Wouldn't using a VM with W10 be better? Cutting all the internet capabilities of the VM so it doesn't connect to Microsoft and such, just update it every a few months i guess.

The name

I used to roll that way until one fuckup in my VM later and a bunch of files lost in transit to my host's NAS, as the default windows file cut/paste sync is retarded, I had shredded 10GBs of data and realized that I'm still just using windows.

Wine serves in under 200MB and does everything I need with much much safer NFS on the linux client.

Attached: 1513728915447.jpg (544x626, 98K)

I think they only renamed it.
The big question is, will it run ANY game? I also play things from the late 90s, F.E.A.R. and modern 4K games. Most AAA is trash now, but there are still some good titles coming.
But then it could not multiplay. I avoid all the big brand stuff like EA and Ubishit, but there will be still smaller studios releasing things. I pray for Cyberpunk to be a thing.

F.E.A.R. runs stock on Steam Proton.

youtube.com/watch?v=kYC4Fpb32mQ

Just enable steamplay on all titles.
And F.E.A.R. has horrible mouse accel baked into the executable as well... Now that I went back to play it.

Is there a Windows 10 version that doesn't prevent you from uninstalling stuff, and/or doesn't re-install stuff you uninstall? That's really the only thing that really pisses me off about Win10

Last time I used LTSB Visual Studio worked fine.

LTSB/C is what you want. It comes with none of the notorious win10 bloat. It's crazy what a big difference that makes.

It was just one example. For example Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun would not run under Windows 10. Fear has a problem with high refresh rate mice. It will shutter heavily after about 15 minutes.
Isn't that possible normally? I had a copy of it on my test rig two years ago. But I don't want Microshaft to scan my programs and uninstall cracked software.

Kinda the same thing, LTSC has newer drivers/better support and maybe more spyware but use "wpd-app" to disable that.

If you're that paranoid about Windows 10 spying, then you better toss that android phone away. or install lineage OS without any of google's services.

Also Windows 10 uses a lot of RAM, at least friends report that. One downgraded to 8.1 again but now has the driver problem I have too. Its using 10 GB of RAM when idle and then shutters when opening something resource intensive.

I use Android 6 on my Xperia Z2 and run it in airplane mode most of the time. There is no personal data on it beside of my music collection.

no problems with windows 7 SP1, no updates, no av
1080ti
everything runs fine
and 950 nvme as only drive

outofthebox? I read you can't install it easily. I have two 960 EVOs.

you need to slipstream nvme drivers for w7 isos/installers. pretty easy to do and some brands offer support for that

Reminder Windows 10 is eternal and she always wins in the end.

I'm sure your common sense will protect you against worms and hardware backdoors, stupid faggot lmao.

Windows 8.1, besides Windows 7, is still the only OS you can debloat the everliving shit out of. You really maneuvered yourself into a pickle by using AMD.

Attached: cpu.png (660x600, 23K)

There is a pretty big performance penalty if you mean DXVK. I can run Overwatch at max settings 140fps on Windows. On Linux, I get 50 or 60fps on minimum settings. Translating the DX calls is processor heavy even when the game normally isn't.

They just renamed it, ltsb is going to be the non-latest one

I had a 5820K before, but I don't see a reason to use Intel in the current year. Only the X99 have drivers, everything from Kabylake onwards doesn't get support as far as I know.
This is what I expected, therefore its not usable. I only have a 1080 Ti which barely keeps 60 FPS in most titles.

Just use a regular version of Windows 10, like Enterprise or Education, which are both nearly the same thing, and just GP edit out some stuff. You can disable Cortana, the Store, Edge and more. You can defer updates for nearly 2 and a half years before you get forced to upgrade to a newer Windows 10 version, and right now version 1803, which is pretty solid has an EOL in 2020 iirc. There's LTSC, but it's based on 1809 which is buggy for a lot of people.

It's usable for indie games or older games or if your processor is really good or if the game doesn't use newer DX versions. But yeah, you won't be running Witcher 3 on max.

But you can?

Attached: unknown.png (840x333, 48K)