Terry D

youtu.be/25hLohVZdME
Was he a genius?

Attached: TempleOS_logo.png (650x490, 20K)

Other urls found in this thread:

my.mixtape.moe/xezass.mp4
archive.org/download/TerryADavis_TempleOS_Archive/software/SimStructure/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

How many people do you know that made an OS?

a lot fucking smarter than me that's for sure

Terry was a hero, he was chosen by god to defeat the NSA and free the civilization of the blasphemy od proprietary software.

Are geniuses more likely to become crazy? I know he must have learned most of this stuff from his dad who worked on rockets, but there is no way you become this smart unless you live in isolation. I can't imagine being left alone in a room to program 24/7. Language would lose all meaning

He was the smartest programmer on Earth, chosen by God.

terry Deez nuts

yes

He was indeed supremely talented and a genius. His mental illness was a tragedy for us all.

He was an actual proper engineer. That's all. It just happens that actual proper engineers are usually very smart.

yes

every other CS undergrad

unix clones don't count

ok, then barely anyone

Why do the headers in Temple OS have to blink and scroll?

I think this aesthetic aspects proves that God's Programmer was indeed quite mad.

What do you mean was? He could still be alive for all we know.

Terry could not possibly keep himself from streaming on the Internet if he were alive. That is all the proof we need.

Well-tanned men from the CIA are not the problem here.

Temple OS is a Commodore 64 clone written in a C clone. It's easier to make Temple OS than cloning Unix. Any smart CS grad knows temple and Terry are just internet memes. The only impressive thing Terry did was the Holy C compiler. But even that can be a CS grad hobby.

what's it like to be smart, Jow Forums?

Attached: 1506341871947.jpg (645x968, 47K)

Then why don't you write an OS like it you CIA nigger?

Because that's already a requirement for my major. Making a Commodore 64 rip isn't even rocket science. Shits been documented for decades. The only people that follow Terry, are the people that don't know dick about CS.

>there is no way you become this smart unless you live in isolation.
>His mental illness was a tragedy for us all.
maybe the isolation caused the illness so you couldn't get one without the other

does anyone have terry singing country roads take me home?
it always tears me apart listening to it thinking

>Because that's already a requirement for my major
so post a demo of it when youre done

He wasn't a weirdo his whole life. He grew up as a normal person, but then he caught schizophrenia (probably got vaccinated against something :^) ) and that's when he decided he needed to write God's operating system and fill it with Bible quotes, and then lose his mind and ultimately die in the street like any random beggar.

>Any smart CS grad
so not you then

He was already smart user. The isolation just meant he was free to do things that people would otherwise have discouraged him from doing.

Being competent in some way results in other people being bound to place a sense of duty on your to work on the behalf of others. They might let you have a hobby or two but those are almost always regarded by others as meaningless endeavors that only help you pass the time between your actual important work. Without other people placing that pressure on you to perform certain kinds of work, you'll devolve into someone who obsesses over your hobbies more than anything else. Whether or not Terry was just pointlessly building an OS with no practical utility is hard to say.

I have, seen the sun
Huck Finn, had the fun
I'm hit, bb-gun
Go, dogs, go!

>every other CS undergrad
Where? At like a top 5 university? Most CS majors I know didn't write a line of code before entering tertiary education and tend to know less than your average hobbyist.

Attached: fine.gif (259x251, 1.91M)

It drives me crazy too. I'm hunting for the source code so I can change it, it makes the interface kind of repulsive.

What are the honest criticism of this OS that weren't design decisions by Terry in the name of simplicity (vga, no networking, etc). I really enjoy TempleOS, and I'd like to start building a Lisp userspace on top of it.

I interview about 20 upcoming grads a year... about half the ones who wrote some code and got through a resume and phone screen didn't retain or critically think about any of the info. I give 5 options of topics a week ahead of time to discuss- based on their resume. I even let them choose. Beyond reciting facts, half the time the candidate can't participate in a conversation on a subject.

Not only did Terry write an os, but he also wrote a compiler which supported jit compiling. His whole operating system aside from some bootstrap code was aot compiled. You could edit it in real time, reboot, and see your changes in action. Also, who else do you know that can write a decent performing 3d graphics library with no gpu acceleration? This wasn't some little faggot booter demo that used bios character display routines. This was 640x480 16 color bitmaps as god intended. Any glow in the dark nigger who shrugs off this feat of engineering deserves to be run over.

Attached: 113598dd4ba91c36c2648b8352b7df7723d2fec7d36d7a156031759e21f44441.jpg (2184x1692, 992K)

Nah he's just a autist

He studied rocket science.
my.mixtape.moe/xezass.mp4

rot13(snoevpr oryyneq)

The trivial solution in math is the simple, obvious answer. TempleOS has many examples of using trivial solutions.

* Everything runs in kernel, ring 0, mode.

* One memory map for all tasks on all cores with virtual addresses set equal to physical.

* One platform -- x86_64 PC's, no 32-bit support.

* No security.

* No networking.

* Least (greatest) common denominator hardware support. Mostly, one driver for each device class. I can't be in the business of different drivers. Compatibility is the greatest challenge for PC operating systems. Disk code
does not use interrupts, avoiding compatibility risks. PS/2 keyboard/mouse is used instead of USB, also more compatible.

* 640x480 16 colors. Updates whole screen at 60 fps, optimized for full screen games where "invalid rectangles" are counter-productive.

* One font, 8x8. Text and graphic layers done in software with text normally on an 8x8 grid. It can run in Text mode if graphic initialization fails.

* Compiler extends all values to 64-bit when fetched and does only 64-bit computations intermediately. Assembler has minimal 16-bit support, good enough for compiling boot loaders.

* No object files. Linking can be done at Load() time for AOT modules, if you insist on not using JIT. Modules have imports and exports.

* Whole files are processed almost exclusively, allowing compression.

* One language and compiler for command-line, scripts, and code.

* One editor/word processor/browser for the command-line window, source code, documentation browser, dialog forms.

* No child windows. One window per task. Buttons are widgets, not child windows. There are child tasks, however.

* No distinction between "thread", "process" or "task".

* The Scheduler is mostly for home systems, not servers or mainframes. The focus task is all important. Disk requests are not broken-up, so sharing is bad, however.

* MultiCore is done master/slave, instead of SMP. Core zero explicitly assigns jobs. Locks are present allowing multicore file, heap, and hardware access, though.

* Music is done with an elegant one-voice notation.

* All tasks have a heap and a sym table. Scope is that of environment vars in other operating systems. As text is typed at the command line or you run programs by #includeing them, the syms go in the table. If a sym is not found, the parent task's table is checked. The father of all tasks has the API syms you'll need waiting in it's table. No need to #include headers.

* No need for namespaces -- scoping occurs automatically based on task symbol table hierarchy with the Adam task's symbol system-wide global.

* Sometimes, I cut corners in the interest of keeping the code beautiful.

where can i get this awesome program. I want to make rockets and shit

Attached: 1532595163361.jpg (962x539, 31K)

TempleOS is superior to those hipster MIT lisp machines

terry please stream a video again
i knew you where alive
you are the closest person in my life

It's in the archive user,
archive.org/download/TerryADavis_TempleOS_Archive/software/SimStructure/

>tfw can't even make a simple bejeweled game
why am I such a fucking brainlet

Attached: 1462712604016.jpg (1280x720, 116K)

Yes

Attached: tosmiku.png (640x480, 52K)

>implying there's a difference

you don't know anything about templeOS
go back to rddit

is it? i’ve been thinking about working on a holy lisp user space for templeos

how does it compare to forth machines?

WE NEED TempleOS CPU
SIMPLIFIED 86X64 DURTY CHEEP
OR
WE NEED TempleOS FOR DURTY CHEEP ARM CHINESE SHIT

Attached: KIDDY_SECRETS.jpg (1500x1069, 199K)

COMPARE FORTH/LIST - SHIT LEVEL "LANGIAGES" WITHOUE EVEN FIRMULAS PARSER
WITH GLORIOUS HolyC

this