/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% --help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1511288417991.png (417x467, 150K)

Other urls found in this thread:

marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=119766951930728&w=2
github.com/atlas-engineer/next
linuxconfig.org/system-monitoring-on-ubuntu-18-04-linux-with-conky#h7-conclusion
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First for Gentoo.

So I have a pretty weird problem. I’ll be using my HP Elitebook 2540p with debian installed and all of a sudden the screen flickers and pixel by pixel it will go black, with only a couple of green-ish pixels left.
This has happened before some time ago, same laptop same OS. At least I am pretty sure it was debian. I have used arch for quite some time but now I am back at debian.
It could be a hardware problem, but I doubt it since it never happened with arch.

Does anynody know what the frack is going on?

I actually have Debian testing installed on my eltebook 2760p (different to yours but anyway) and it's flawless. Maybe it's your hardware issue? Or maybe try testing because they have quick bug fixes

>create service.service in ~/.config/systemd/user
>systemctl --user start service.service
>service file not found
NANI?

In arch, should I better use pacman or pip for python stuff?
pacman -S python-numpy
or
pip install numpy
Which one is best practice?

pacman, pip will give you existing files in filesystem errors when you update the system

From what I gathered so far, it is a good idea to use pacman for my main install and pip inside virtualenvs. What do you think about it?

>But that still isn't FSF-approved.
marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=119766951930728&w=2

>virtualenvs
I dont like managing a billion env's when you can literally install them with pacman and not have to fuck around with them or worry about it. Arch has a fuck ton of packages and if its missing its easy to take the skel PKGBUILD and add in the package you want

I usually program stuff as a hobby for myself but I read it is best practice to distribute your python stuff with a requirement.txt and and do your work in a virtualenv

>distribute
Setup a chroot environment for your developing.Still use pacman

OK, thanks. I'm going with pacman.

Some additional info; I was using gedit as it happened, and I quickly hit Ctrl+S to save, but when I rebooted the changes had not taken effect.

And I run debian buster/sid

I want to switch from plain text files for notes to something more structured. First I tried markdown but ReText and grip don't handle Github style internal links which I want for a table of contents.

Now I'm using vim help file format because links are easy and I don't mind viewing my documents in vim. I don't really want to learn Latex because it seems like overkill for just a table of contents, some paragraph formatting, and lists here and there.

Attached: linux_under_attack.jpg (555x921, 266K)

What's a decent minimal configurable yet beginner friendly userland setup for somebody wanting to start with a fresh CLI set up of Debian?

I haven't decided between Openbox or i3 yet. Have used i3 for a long time but I think I'd rather have a stacking manager by default with the ability to snap and tile windows by keybind.

I currently use PCmanFM as a file manager with gvfs, unzip, unrar, and xarchiver. I only use it when I need to do more than touch, mv, or cp.

I've always used termite as a terminal emulator.

Mousepad for text editor and use Geany as well.

What are some recommended programmers for somebody starting from a non X install for starters?

Stay calm and use cwm

Actually looks quite comfy.

I've used it on OpenBSD, it's pretty cool... these days I use MATE Desktop Environment on Debian Stable all day long, it's best for me, bbut yeah cwm is a nice little wm

Have you used JWM?

It looks very basic with XML configuration. Could make custom scripts for tiling with xdotool or use one of the popular ones like pytile.

Funny, that's basically a collection of companies who have been angry at GNU/Linux forever. Then again, the Linux Foundation is just a happy merchant, trolling people into paying for nothing, so it isn't even bad making these companies pay.

>windows 2000 VM
>literally stone age "microsoft tools for UNIX" package
>can access the NFS shared of my debian server running stretch
Why do people bother with samba again?

>Linux Foundation
Oh yeah, the LOOOONIX foundation, which is led by a macfag.

If I buy a laptop with nVidia dedicated graphics (930MX), will I have to battle any driver issues with Fedora?

Attached: 1532368867903.jpg (1280x718, 175K)

>nvidia
yes

Has anyone tried out the "next" browser?
github.com/atlas-engineer/next

Seems basically the same as qutebrowser and uses the same engine so I guess that means it would have roughly the same rendering and support for websites. But I wonder if it has any advantages/disadvantages over qutebrowser.
Apparently it's extensible in lisp, which is awesome in my opinion.

Well fuck. I found a device with intel HD that was almost perfect but the display is 1366x768. There's an FHD version that I want but they throw in the video card. What kind of problems can I expect if I buy it? Will the card be ignored and the Intel HD get used instead or will it just used the nVidia card to less than maximum potential?

it depends on webkit2gtk (gtk) while qutebrowser depends on qtwebengine (qt)

I have a script #!/bin/bash
battery_level=`acpi -b | grep -P -o '[0-9]+(?=%)'`
echo $battery_level
if [ $battery_level -lt 100 ]
then
echo $battery_level
notify-send "Battery low" "Battery level is ${battery_level}%!"
fi

and I am running it through cron, it exists in my home directory, but even though cron says it has run ~/batterylow2.sh in the syslog it doesn't output a notification like it should

Always quote your variables.

>``
deprecated, use $()

In bash, use [[ instead of [.
Also, what's your crontab?
Is the script executable?

the script works fine when I run it on its own its just doesn't show a notification when I get cron to run it.

# Edit this file to introduce tasks to be run by cron.
#
# Each task to run has to be defined through a single line
# indicating with different fields when the task will be run
# and what command to run for the task
#
# To define the time you can provide concrete values for
# minute (m), hour (h), day of month (dom), month (mon),
# and day of week (dow) or use '*' in these fields (for 'any').#
# Notice that tasks will be started based on the cron's system
# daemon's notion of time and timezones.
#
# Output of the crontab jobs (including errors) is sent through
# email to the user the crontab file belongs to (unless redirected).
#
# For example, you can run a backup of all your user accounts
# at 5 a.m every week with:
# 0 5 * * 1 tar -zcf /var/backups/home.tgz /home/
#
# For more information see the manual pages of crontab(5) and cron(8)
#
# m h dom mon dow command
*/1 * * * * ~/batterylow2.sh

I did chmod +x and 755 on it as well and it does work, just not through cron, even though cron says it has run it in syslog

>microsoft tools for UNIX
deep lore

Any suggestions on a linux distro for forensics and malware analysis? I’d prefer to be able to install it to a USB so I can turn any computer into a lab, after disconnecting the hard drive of course.

mx linux is good on flash drives

Just use mainline.

i haven't, looks cool tho.. eventually just got to the point where I want the OS to be a means, not an end... rip reinventing the wheel

>install to USB
Does anyone at this board know correct tech terminology?

based

Attached: 1539834083568.png (540x474, 425K)

I'm in the market for a tablet, but they all seem like shit and Huawei is confirmed botnet, so I'm forced toward an IPad.
How well does it integrate with the Linux ecosystem?

After updating Debian from Stable to Buster, I found out I cannot upgrade or dist-upgrade. DPKG throws an error saying:

/var/lib/dpkg/info/passwd.postinst: 21: /var/lib/dpkg/info/passwd.postinst: getent: not found
groupadd: group 'shadow' already exists
Group ID 42 has been allocated for the shadow group. You have either
used 42 yourself or created a shadow group with a different ID.

"Please correct this problem and run dpkg --configure passwd".

When I run the configure command, it tells me the same error.

Any idea how I could fix this issue?

Thanks, guys.

It is inadvisable to describe the free software community, or any human community, as an “ecosystem,” because that word implies the absence of ethical judgment.

The term “ecosystem” implicitly suggests an attitude of nonjudgmental observation: don't ask how what should happen, just study and understand what does happen. In an ecosystem, some organisms consume other organisms. In ecology, we do not ask whether it is right for an owl to eat a mouse or for a mouse to eat a seed, we only observe that they do so. Species' populations grow or shrink according to the conditions; this is neither right nor wrong, merely an ecological phenomenon, even if it goes so far as the extinction of a species.

By contrast, beings that adopt an ethical stance towards their surroundings can decide to preserve things that, without their intervention, might vanish—such as civil society, democracy, human rights, peace, public health, a stable climate, clean air and water, endangered species, traditional arts…and computer users' freedom.

Attached: 1503077702497.jpg (3231x2424, 968K)

How to batch ID3tag from the cli?

> A stop job is running for User Manager for UID 1000 (45s / 2min)

Attached: 862710477.png (300x309, 34K)

Attached: le binary log face.jpg (1204x803, 138K)

install arch

I am on Arch and this has been happening every time I reboot since I pacman -Syu'd two days ago.

Mi Pad 4 (Plus) is a good and affordable Android tablet.

Got two really dumb issues:
1) Ubuntu 18.04 with GNOME. When I've got a VM open (Oracle Virtual Box) and mouse integration is turned off, the mouse inside the guest OS will sometimes be frozen halfway across the guest OS screen and cause the host OS's GNOME overview to appear. This didn't happen in Unity.
2) Back in Ubuntu 16.04, I found a way to disable my laptop's internal speakers at such a deep level that they don't even show up in Pulse Audio, or any other audio programme like it. Now that I've upgraded to Ubuntu 18.04, I can't find any way to un-disable them. Does anyone know of a fix?

Attached: beginning-linux-programming-1-728.jpg (728x922, 113K)

Switch to linux-lts --- the newest non-lts kernel always has dumb shit like this going on.

you're not using gnome, are you?

Non distro-hopper answers, pls. Need one with the proper tools and live boot. No persistence is preferred to prevent malware spreading.

I am, sadly

so there's your problem, switch to kde or some other DE

Retard

I like gnome and enjoy using it, aside from when systemd makes stuff like this happen.
Is there a way to fix it?

t. coraline ada emhke

i don't know, I just googled your error from the original post, those kinds of stop jobs on shutdown used to happen to me all the time when I used manjaro(i know, i know), and i found that it's a gnome bug
see also , though

kys fag

excellent arguments, reddit

>using google
Retard

>guy has random problem
>lmao switch your DE for max meme points xD
Retard

why are gnome devs so retarded?

samefag

>waiting for the gnome blog link.
*popcorn*

I'm using i3 with dmenu on my laptop and by default dmenu is bound to Win key + d. I really like dmenu, but I don't like the way it's configured out of the box. I know that I can customize dmenu on the go by typing options after dmenu_run, like in the following lines:
dmenu_run -b - l 3 *this displays dmenu at the bottom of the screen on 3 vertical lines instead of the usual horizontal line*

The problem is that once I run dmenu by pressing Win key + d like I usually do, dmenu displays in the default way. Could you tell me how I could make dmenu changes permanent? Thank you

>I'm using i3

Attached: pepelmao.jpg (369x366, 23K)

did you really need to write your reply?

>Win key
GNU key*

Attached: 1543886409227.gif (500x281, 1.58M)

what are the differences between tmpfs and ext4? i've been people using tmpfs for persistent memory on disk drives

>Set up a system, like a web server with a database for example
>Decently understand the core components and underlying system to the point where it works and is maintainable
>There are also thousands of libraries, modules, plugins, files, widgets, gadgets, whatsits, and whosits that are a mystery to me beyond knowing what component they're associated with
Are there people that know and understand every component of a system like this? Can this be expected of anybody? This is leaving hardware and actual source code out of the equation. I'm installing mastodon on ubuntu server and there are currently 291,910 files on the disk. Is there anyone that could be doing this that would know what every file is and does?

Attached: Nl8KjBO_-_Imgur.png (1035x754, 1.62M)

>everyone behaving like dicks today

dmenu_run has to config files you you have do edit your i3config to run it with those arguments

tmpfs is a ramdisk. ext4 is a filesystem for block devices. Two completely different things.

ffmpe/g/ents, can I optimize further?

# Jow Forums limited sound webm.
ffmpeg -i "$1" -c:v libvpx -b:v $((1024 * 8 * 3 / 60))k -auto-alt-ref 1 -lag-in-frames 16 -quality best -slices 8 -c:a libvorbis -b:a 96k -pass 1 -f webm /dev/null
ffmpeg -i "$1" -c:v libvpx -b:v $((1024 * 8 * 3 / 60))k -auto-alt-ref 1 -lag-in-frames 16 -quality best -slices 8 -c:a libvorbis -b:a 96k -pass 2 -f webm "$2"

Thank you.
exec --no-startup-id dmenu_run -b -l 3 [write other options here like colours and font settings]
Would these lines in my i3 config file do the trick?

that would just run dmenu_run once when you start i3wm. you should already have a line with dmenu_run, it's been a while since i used i3 but it should look something like
bind $mod+d dmenu_run
add your options to that

Oh right! Thank you for reminding me about that, how couldn't I think about it earlier?

there's little advantage to using slow settings on the first pass, the first pass is just to figure out distribution, the actual video result is discarded

So Im trying to get this look of conky, but after I modificate config file following these steps: linuxconfig.org/system-monitoring-on-ubuntu-18-04-linux-with-conky#h7-conclusion , conky just disappears from desktop and no matter what i do i cant get it back... Did I miss something or am I just retarded? (I checked for this issue on stackoverflow, nothing helped so far)

Attached: 04-system-monitoring-ubuntu-18.04-with-conky.png (1045x784, 239K)

So it's good practice to keep /home on a different partition, but on the user side I assume there's no practical difference with /home in the same partition as the installation?
As in, pictures/documents etc links in the file manager points correctly, as is application dot files too?

Is there any shop where I can buy decent Tux plush?

Why would you want to do this?

the point of having separate partition is for convenience backup

>aurman dev threw another fit and is now done with public deving
wew

the only difference backup-wise is whether you use your tools "one filesystem" option or "include/exclude" option, that's all
it's not really a good reason by itself

I installed Ubuntu onto my laptop and for some reason i can't connect to wi-fi, it always asks me to enter the password, after i do so it says that it's connecting and after a little while it asks for the password again, i didn't make any mistakes while writing the password i tried to do this over 20 times now, i then installed mint thinking that installing another distro would help but it seems to change nothing

Try changing the wifi channel for your wireless router.

maybe you are doing something wrong during booting new system into your laptop... I would check stackoverflow, 95% of your problems are solved there for years

I want to put something on desk, I find Tux cute, so why not. Its small footprint will go nice there. I am also considering a horse or zebra plush, but can't really find a decent and not creepy looking one for cheap.

Whats a nice GTK theme that matches this pape?

Attached: 1541437397561.png (2560x1440, 556K)

debian 9 gnome

how can i remove this bottom right panel with apps running in background? and move them to top bar where they belong.

Attached: 0.jpg (682x546, 141K)

why do you use gnome

adwaita

Plano

why on earth would you want a white background you monster

shut the fuck up, no one asked you to judge him