What are some good resources to learn SQL? Like an online course, books, assignments and whatnot

What are some good resources to learn SQL? Like an online course, books, assignments and whatnot.

Attached: original.jpg (801x532, 48K)

Other urls found in this thread:

sqlite.org/lang.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Any Open Source SQL database website, e.g. sqlite.org/lang.html

Manga guide to SQL

It's not like programming where you can learn it as you are working on a personal project. With SQL you can learn the basics on your own, but you really need to use it in a real world scenario regularly to get good at it.

SQL is a great choice though, because there is plenty of steady demand and you don't have to relearn everything every few years like programmers when new meme languages come out.

This is actually legit if you're going into it without prior knowledge.

>With SQL you can learn the basics on your own, but you really need to use it in a real world scenario regularly to get good at it.

This.
Had to learn it for my job the past half a year, it is fairly easy to learn this way.

you mean Manga Guide to Dabases?

How is pay for doing SQL? Isn't that like half of maymay 'Data Science'?

I just want an easy jerb that pays decent.

Postgresql docs are stellar. I highly reccomend them.

The basics are all you need in most cases. SQL is fine as a simple CRUD layer, but it's usually better to just pull in a bunch of queries to your app to do any more complicated analyses.

The pay to difficulty ratio for SQL is pretty high. Demand is good too.

SELECT FROM WHERE
Theres 90% of real world use cases

Tom Hall with that numale mouthgape before it was cool.

Nah, you need CREATE TABLE, CREATE INDEX, SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, DROP INDEX, and DROP TABLE.
And EXPLAIN; can't forget EXPLAIN.
Still, $100k starting for learning a dozen words isn't bad.

Are there jobs where people only interact with databases? Do they write any java or c++ or anything? What do they actually do?

Thanks for the input. I do have a real world scenario I need to solve efficiently and correctly.
Basically I need a bunch of conditional WHERE clauses but I'm not quite sure how to do it the right way.
An employee can have several contracts for which he can be scheduled, I need to make sure I'm checking a ton of criteria on the correct contract and then output the results in a certain format.

Shit sign me up.

you learn sql by learning databases, don't you?

but the official name
I haven't found anything named "Manga guide to SQL"
only "Manga Guide to Dabases"

yeah, you're probably right.

>Isn't that like half of maymay 'Data Science'?
No. There's a lot more to Data Science than SQL.

>Being a DBA

People who work on a database team & non-retarded business users.

>I need to make sure I'm checking a ton of criteria

SELECT , , , ,
FROM , ,
WHERE , , , ;

Formating is possible by using TSQL, I guess.

The Manga guide to databases - Mana Takahashi, Shoko Azuma, Trend-pro Co (No Starch Press) 2009 9781593271909

SQL in 10 minutes - Ben Forta
Looks / sounds a bit cheesy at first but it's actually a really good book, teaches you SQL extremely quickly without any fluff.
The idea is that each chapter takes 10 minutes to complete, obviously not the whole book.
Everyone at my workplace learns SQL as part of their induction and it's the book that they give to everyone.
You can work through the whole book in around 10 hours.

Yes, Oracle has a database programming language called PLSQL which adds functions etc. ontop of SQL.
There are people who's jobs consist of writing that all day.

where can i find the pdf ? im not into spending 15$ for old manga

No offense, but SQL is the easiest thing to learn. My advice is to just work on a software project that scrapes some kind of data, transforms that data, stores that data again, and then pulls from that data to deploy for some kind of web application. Write it in C and you will be amazed at how quickly it runs. Write it in python and it will take five seconds per row of data

Learning it wasn't difficult, the bitch at my job is applying what I learned to a real environment.
My organization has thousands of tables with redundant information and unclear names, like most of these beginner books are useless because they spend the first couple chapters preaching about shit beyond my control like database integrity or normalization.

The DBA sent us a spreadsheet from like 2015 outlining the "main" tables we should use but idk man...