Why have you not joined the SSD masterrace?

Attached: 1517609058247.png (172x251, 23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

superuser.com/questions/1102184/how-can-i-securely-wipe-an-ssd
extremetech.com/computing/205382-ssds-can-lose-data-in-as-little-as-7-days-without-power
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

But I have user.
My Kindian SSD just arrived.
Hope 120GB is enough for windows.

just replaced the drive on my T420 with a 1TB ssd

Because it doesnt make that much of a difference

Getting a large ssd seems retarded when you can just get a small one for your OS and like twice as much HDD storage

I did. Now SHUT

I have.
Got a 2tb m.2 SSD for $400

From what I've seen 120 GB is enough for Windows itself, its updates and a few small programs.

1TB HDD is like $30
1TB SSD is like $300
that's why

1TB ssd is $100

Because I can't be sure that it will actually wipe the data on the drive.

If your SSD PROPERLY implements secure erase enhanced, you can wipe it clean. You'll have to trust the vendor though.
superuser.com/questions/1102184/how-can-i-securely-wipe-an-ssd

1tb hdd is $50
1tb ssd is $100 and dropping

I can't think of any universe where this is even close to true.

If you're building a pc in 2018 buy a fuckin SSD. I bought a crucial 500GB SSD for $75 bucks just for my server, and a 120GB SSD for $25 for my mom's old laptop to give it more life.

???

Attached: Screenshot_2018-12-09-01-57-43-614_com.brave.browser.png (1080x1920, 348K)

>NVMe PCIe
>Meme speeds

860 Evo 250GB represent

>1TB HDD eats 1 year of your life span
>1TB SSD eats 1 hour

which speeds are you getting?
I'm using one of those and barely get 2xx

>3500MB/s vs 600MB/s
>meme
what

It's a meme for consumers. An incontrovertible fact.

Some old German mate from my laboratory that got addicted to buying chink stuff bought the same from ebay and it started corrupting data in less then 2 weeks of use. So keep on eye on S.M.A.R.T data user. It was probably just bad luck though.

Attached: unnamed.jpg (304x483, 33K)

If there was RAM with 6x the speed, would that also be a meme or nah?

this. i dont notice any speed gain.

If there were aliens on Mars, would you cancel the mission to Mars?

Still waiting for 8TB SSD drives for less than $160 to replace my fleet of 2~8TB drives

Heck I'd probably bite the bullet if 8TB SSDs were only double the price of 8TB HDDs. For now though, I'll just stick with 8TB HDDs for $160

2.5" sata ssd, not m2 you retard

Because HDDs and NVME are all I need.

Hope it doesn't die on me, thanks for the heads up user.
I haven't installed windows yet, though, I saw some spanish reviews of it and it got decent speeds.

yeah, I'm planning to use the ssd only for the os, I have another 500GB HDD for other programs.

I'm waiting for my Crucial SSD, should arrive early next week.

I have this one

Attached: nvme.png (1001x745, 111K)

Or, you can get a large one for your OS and some other shit, then a large HDD as well.

Attached: Best-Exercise-Bikes.jpg (3200x3200, 574K)

Still too expensive, I'll have to stick to my WD Blue 1TB for now.

I have 2x4TB drives for storage as well.

Recently got this bad boy, a ton faster than a 5400RPM drive from 2011.

Attached: file.png (671x481, 45K)

Bought 2 ocz vertex drives in 2007 or 8
Always have OS and gaymes on their own ssd and have a server with tb hdds for media and such
Got an nvme a few years ago, love it too

>another ssd thread
>another thread filled with retards who can't fathom looking past price per GB or can't fathom the notion of having both SSDs and HDDs in there system for the best of both worlds

Cause I'm too lazy to unscrew my laptop

>outlives your ssd
nuthing personnel kid

Attached: Seagate-32761086-barracuda-2tb-right-400x400-zoom.jpg (400x400, 35K)

If you use Windows, CPU is gonna be your biggest bottleneck for random I/O performance, unless if all you do is transfer movies every hour, memeVe is not worth it.

>electronics randomly fail
Tell us something we don't already fucking know

If you posted a HGST or WD drive I would've believed you.

All magnetic storage will last decades in archival. Flash storage like used in SSDs will leak electrons and corrupt data when left unpowered.

Why the fuck are you using an HDD then for archiving and not tape?

The usual number I see for data retention is 10 years but this was a long time ago. Now that there's TLC and QLC memory, I'm seriously worried how long retention rates are now.

>tape isn't magnetic storage
And HDDs are only faulty for their mechanical parts, while SSDs are faulty for their class of storage.
>10 years
It's unpredictable, depending on existing wear, power-on temperature (higher=better), and power-off temperature (lower=better, so there's no sure ballpark figure. Worst case could be as little as one week. That manufactures don't even advertise it to consumers should be warning enough. Which is why an SSD for anything other than a boot drive/IO-dependent performance is a consumerist meme.

Attached: ssd_data_integrity_by_temperature.png (810x353, 78K)

You hear this guys?
LTO tape isn't magnetic storage so I guess it just works on magic crystals or something

why does Jow Forums love ssd threads?

I used to think ssds were not worth it and costed wayyy too much but then I got a laptop with an ssd. I don't regret it.

Now at days when I reccomend pc builds, I hesitate to even offer a pc build without an ssd.

Windows will only take 30-40gb max, the remaining 80-90gb is plenty of space for programs

It's only not enough if you're getting games and lots of movies

Meanwhile mSATA/m2 NVME SATA SSDs are like $50 for 250GB

Fuck everything, I just want an SSD in my laptop while having a 1TB HDD in the drive bay

Fucking nobody recommends using ssd's for archiving, jackass.

This is a completely pointless comparison.

For regular use you will probably power on an ssd at least more than once a year, resetting the clock for losing data because the chips get re-powered.

I got that exact one for €115.

extremetech.com/computing/205382-ssds-can-lose-data-in-as-little-as-7-days-without-power

Expected data retention is 105 weeks @ 25C, 30C (which the sub tropics regularly hit) drops down to 1 year for consumer drives.

Enterprise SSDs only last 20 weeks @ 25C and as low as 7 days if stored in higher temps.

If you happen to accidentally leave a laptop or external SSD drive in a car on a trip, you just might loose everything on it.

>"goy, buy this 1TB ssd!"
>ssd fills up
>either transfer to HDD/other media, meaning you could have bought an HDD in the first place, or let rot in closet
Show me one manufacturer that advertises its SSDs as being unsuitable for archival. You can't, because they advertise them as direct replacements to HDDs despite the technology not being so.

>m2 NVME SATA
I meant NGFF not NVME

Still why the fuck are the card versions of SSDs so expensive when you can just take a part a 2.5 inch SSD to find it's the same size or fucking smaller??

Attached: main-qimg-0cfdd347430bb856aa96c7108bbeb317-c[1].jpg (620x404, 84K)

Seamengate Barracuda or WD Green is better than even the bestest jewest SSD

>Show me one manufacturer that advertises its SSDs as being unsuitable for archival.
I don't think I've seen any manufacturer advertise them for archiving.
>You can't, because they advertise them as direct replacements to HDDs despite the technology not being so.
They are direct replacements for actual usage. If you're actually accessing them, they will outlast HDDs by far.

HDDs are also shit for backup. The industry uses tape for a reason. HDD controllers boards still have chips on them that will fail over time.

most people dont keep more than 1 tb of mongolian basket weaving instructions on their computer at a time

also, why do you have to replace HDD's when you can just supplement them

I recently read data off of an old IDE laptop HDD. I seriously doubt the data would have been legible would it have been an SSD of the same age.

Wait, why the fuck would Enterprise SSDs have lower retention? Don't they use SLC or some shit? This is baffling

Performance and higher write tolerances probably have something to do with it.

The only major problem with SSDs is writing to them kills them.

Bought a UD Pro 256gb gigabyte 3D TLC/dram cache SSD at 45 dollars for OS/programs, and will be getting a 480gb cheapo SSD for storage, maybe a kingston a400 or sandisk ssd plus, those are at around 65 usd.

For several years now, writing to SSDs kills them much slower than writing to HDDs kills those.

>WD blue 1tb
my nigga

>and will be getting a 480gb cheapo SSD for storage, maybe a kingston a400 or sandisk ssd plus, those are at around 65 usd.
Why?
For storage there's no reason to use an ssd.

And where the fuck are you finding the 480gb ones for $65?

I did
I got a 500 gig nvme for $100

Attached: 1531028464948.png (800x894, 41K)

I've had a cheap ass Crucial 480GB since 2014 and it has been fantastic

Write-cycle memes a shit

there is a diminish return that you can notice, like if you have a 10000MB/s vs the 3500 you will not notice shit

I was an early adopter back in ~2010. Not having to put up with a HDD making those irritating grinding sounds while the system is working at a snails pace is a godsend. I don't get how people put up with this shit.

nice trips
also you probably could get an m.2 ssd for $100 but the retard picked the most expensive 1tb ssd he could find

It's 2018. Even cheap SSDs have high enough workload ratings for desktops. Don't put that shit in a server tho.
This is true. SATA to NVMe is a nice upgrade but not nearly the crucial upgrade that is HDD to SSD

I recently pushed a m.2 SATA SSD (WD Blue m.2) onto a real estate client, for their receptionist's thinkcentre minipc, to replace a wd black HDD that wore out since they use it to share on a network some files and shit.
Did I fuck up? Should I have pushed something else on them? It only has room for 2.5" SATA or m.2. I think I made the best choice anyways.
Thinking about Samsung 970 Pro or WD Black 1TB for myself for my E580, to replace the 256GB Lenovo NVMe.

Because I'm a patient guy

Not quiete. Best prices on 1TB SSDs are like $130 from what I'm seeing.

>compare cheapest HDD to most expensive SSD

>Header crashes and disaster recovery is nearly impossible on current HDDs

Unless they are hammering that drive and rewriting it multiple times a day, they will throw away that PC before the SSD NAND fails
For some reason there is this weird misconception that SSD will fail prematurely because of limited writes but it takes daily abuse for an SSD to fail in only a few years
Worst case normal scenario is database work or scratch disk work for video editing and rendering for literally everyone else an SSD can last a century

Because literally every single long term database and enterprise study has shown that HDDs are superior when it comes to data retention and reliability.

HDDs fail suddenly, usually with a warning that they are going to fail sometime in the near future. But the data is basically pernamently locked in place on the platters until it is read, or you melt the drive down.

SDDs have way more insidious of a failure mode: they slowly and quietly corrupt data without warning. This starts in around 3-5 years of use. No smart warning. No mechanical sounds warning the impending demise. Just silent, growing corruption.

It is why spinning rust is still used in enterprise database settings.

I keep nothing mission critical on flash media. If you do, you are an idiot.

Attached: FB_IMG_1465665059802.jpg (372x372, 38K)

The Google studies say it starts dying after 3-5 years, even when powered on constantly and not really accessed.

I have a 100% failure rate on my 8 Seagate HDDs after 2 years

What is the average life expectancy for some of the older SSDS, anyway? I know the newer 120GB ones are supposedly around 100TB of writes, but what about some of the older like 2010ish) msata ones? They all seem to just list expectancy in hours.

I've had mixed success with Seagate. They either fail immediately, 2 years later, or never.

Then again, I have a huge stack of dead HGST, Hitachi, and WD drives behind me too. YMMV.

Something like the Crucial MX100 all the way to I think MX300 are only rated for 75TBW

Confidence=restored

>what is microsoft office

how does it feel losing 50% in 6 months?

Samsungs, so the only worth SSDs, are constantly cheap AF, 250gb for $50, 500gb for $70, 1tb at $150, no excuse not to buy

>HDDs fail suddenly, usually with a warning that they are going to fail sometime in the near future. But the data is basically pernamently locked in place on the platters until it is read, or you melt the drive down.
>what are bad sectors

A 2.7gb program

Still not $100. Anything worth using is at least $150.

>that stupid console front and center on every exercise bike
Why is it so hard to make an exercise bike with a flat surface there? Let me shitpost and play gaymes and I can ride that thing all day long. Make me stare at some cheapo clock and I'll just want to kill myself.

Need a 2tb m.2 drive for my laptop

I did in 2011. No regrets, never had an issue besides quickly filling them with gaymes. My mind was blown when I first booted Windows and loaded various programs way faster than I had ever imagined possible.

Why not just use a laptop connected to a TV to watch YouTube videos?

Who the hell do you buy from? One of those will be garbage that dies in a month and the other is a Jew's dream sale.

You did better than me. I had a pair of Seagate drives hit almost exactly 1 year. They've been Shitgate to me ever since.

>magnetic archives
Holy kek!

look up Sata SSD's you stupid fucking nigger.