Are VR setups too invasive?

I was thinking of creating my own VR setup, but I was wondering what the general opinion was on them in their current form. Is setting up all these sensors and having to wear the helmet too much work for people?

Attached: vrsetup.jpg (320x179, 7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vrgamerankings.com/the-top-200
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Invasive
For your privacy, yes. You're literally inviting a high quality listening device into your home and in a lot of cases involving the VR tech you are also inviting a HD camera into you home.
Exchanging liberty for what can be compared to the effects of a masturbation toy ie. it's a fun novelty that doesn't last, is what we were warned about all throughout the ages.
It's happening again. Same day again, we'll be begging to be given a second chance at making things better, yet will swiftly be reminded that we were given hundreds of chances throughout history that we didn't make good on.
We'll all pay the price one day.
Looking for the enemy? It's ALL of us, so stop your hypocritical finger pointing and let's ALL change for the better

This.
I had Rift for a year and all my privacy was stolen. Also my liberty.
Nothing left :(

Setup is something you do once and never bother with again.
Sensors aren't huge, you can leave them in same place for months without being bothered.
Every electronic device need setup, VR is not any more(or less) invasive than lets say a TV

The vive base stations don't process data, they just shoot ir waves that the vive picks up. You can leave the base stations up and running 24/7 and sleep soundly.

Just build your own, anything else you should be posting on /v/

Every household has multiple devices with cameras that could be listening and watching you at any time - PCs, laptops, smartphones, consoles, tablets..
That's all cool, but VR headset is now suddenly a threat to your privacy. Shut the fuck up

Attached: tenor.gif (320x286, 1.33M)

I don't, because I've removed all of the camera drivers. Are you new here?

Setting up the base stations is easy. All you need to do is make a 2x2 meter square where you can move around in and put the base stations just outside that. You can also set it up for standing mode which is just a small circle where you can stand or sit in. Just order some base station stands which you should be able to afford if you have vr. Or you can go the extra mile and put them on the walls/roof. Even a toddler could do it.

They make a high pitched buzzing noise which can be annoying if your hearing is good and your room is quite.

Sensor setup is a one-time thing, wearing the headset isn't really an issue at all. I recommend mounting sensors to your walls or otherwise installing them in some permanent location where they and/or any cables won't get in the way.

If you're paranoid enough to think cameras are secretly spying on you, you really shouldn't believe that "removing" the driver would be an effective way of stopping the spying from happening.

Except for red hot not much is made for VR

Funny thing is that the vive isn't advanced enough to spy on you if you just put some tape over the camera.

Better deal with that microphone too!

>and your room is quite.
unless you have a laptop or fanless desktop then you won't hear them in standby mode.

I honestly don't know how people like their rooms being dead quiet. I can't sleep without some background noise.

Seems like a waste of energy to keep it running 24/7 unless you use it daily.

WMRs don't require setup, they use inside-out tracking. But why would you even create one yourself? VR HDMs are crazy cheap right now, just buy it

You can disable the shit built in microphone through your computer settings. If you're that paranoid then the vr should be the least of your worries.

I can still hear the buzzing sound even with the fan on. Not just that but the vibrations from the base station can resonate through the stands if it's not set up right. Annoying easily fixable.

If you're paranoid enough to think your headset is spying on you, you most certainly shouldn't trust your OS.

>not much is made for VR
vrgamerankings.com/the-top-200

Maybe they're like terry and built their own OS and internet browser, or use an open source OS and inspected every line of code.

>or use an open source OS and inspected every line of code
Can't trust the compiler, it might be inserting backdoors into its output even if the source code is clean.

Picked up a vive second hand barely used, best choice ever. Pavlov VR is so much fucking fun.

>Open Source OS
This is so pointless. It's going to need to rely on third party tools, and most popular tools will be proprietary. Need AMD/Nvidia graphic drivers? Out of luck.

Even if they made their own compiler, their hardware could be backdoored, especially if it came from China.(Which is actually already a thing)

You just can't escape it.

Might as well add that the increased background radiation from wireless internet is giving us cancer. Going full tinfoil mode is our only chance.