Got in Waterloo and Berkeley, what should I do Jow Forums?

got in Waterloo and Berkeley, what should I do Jow Forums?

you're my only friends, please help me out.

Attached: 24dc9f5c-8900-402b-b1c8-b60f19473998.png (800x211, 57K)

Other urls found in this thread:

people.scs.carleton.ca/~mvvelzen/pH/pH.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>university of poo in loo

drop out

install gentoo

>university of waterpoo

>tfw born in Kitchener, picked Berkeley over Waterloo four years ago
I'm 80k in debt and learnt literally nothing, don't fall for the Berkeley meme

I live right infront of UWaterloo user. Its a decent school if all you care about is your education.
>School buildings look like jail buildings
>City is dead, only student bubble has anything interesting in it
>Area is full of nerdy asain/indians who dont know how to have fun other than smoking weed
If you like studying non stop and then going out to play pokemon go once a week with your weeb friends then waterloo might be a decent choice.

Im a poo, born and raised in this area, but UWaterloo isnt in the same league as Berkeley.

>waterpoo

Do a big poo in the waterloo

Attached: IMG_3045.png (656x522, 34K)

Figure out a way to optimize Netflix so that it doesn't stutter on my second monitor, forcing me to watch the same movie stutter-free on Plex

you dont learn anything with a CS degree in any school. Its just for the piece of paper.

Don't go to Waterloo, unless you want to not get laid in the cold

>Berkeley
Is this referring to UC Berkeley or another school? I heard Waterloo isn't as good as it once was ever since RIM went down the drain.

Attached: 1525396366780.gif (478x268, 1.8M)

waterloo has a decent coop setup. Not hard to get a decent job out of it.
Other than that the only reason you would pick waterloo over berkley is if youre poor

I have a bunch of friends with whom I did competitive programming back in high-school (IOI and shit), they have 0 internships (no co-op) and still got jobs at Google etc.

Meanwhile, I'm forced to take a job at some fucking random startup, I know it's my fault but I have never been that angry in my life. I spent the last two weeks in my room, it fucking sucks bro. I actually worked hard. Berkeley isn't easy. I feel stupid. 80K in debt dude. Fuck me.

Everyone is sucking Waterloo's dick in the valley, no point in taking debt if you can avoid it, my $0.02 - maybe you're so smart you will succeed regardless, just think about it

IDK we're still hiring plenty from Waterloo afaik, they're humbler than american graduates

>tfw got rejected from waterloo

Attached: 1490850828925.png (700x700, 270K)

>going to University to party and get laid
That's why Waterloo kids get the jobs faggots

>go to a party school anyway and spend all your time shitposting rather than studying or partying

>not MIT or Stanford
sorry user, you're not gonna get any jobs out of college. just kys now to save yourself the trouble.

I didn't say U Waterloo was bad, just not as good as it was back in the heyday of RIM with their RIM-jobs.

Attached: 1525211429644.jpg (620x348, 62K)

don't listen to the losers in this thread, as far as i'm concerned waterloo is the only canadian university I would consider candidates (maybe including Toronto if it's for a data science opening). I have hired both co-op and non-co-op students and they do very well, much better than the little entitled shit who come out "elite" american schools anyway

t. head of engineering in sf

Attached: unnamed.jpg (900x900, 72K)

not the person your replied to but this makes no sense, if anything since RIM has downsized so much we see a lot more of them in the bay area

Waterloo used to be *the* feeder school for MS and now you see them pretty much everywhere, mostly Google

I advise early YC companies and I'd say easily 1/4 of them have a technical founder or early employee from waterloo, that's significant

lol iv met so many waterloo cs fags who actually think they learn anything useful in school. The reason waterloo kids get the jobs is because of the co-op program.
Real enlighenment is when you use your uni time wisely to gain social skills and network correctly while doing the bare minimum to get that piece of paper

Would you consider candidates from other countries?

Attached: 1529764396768.png (576x467, 323K)

Except I went to a party school and I have a better job than all the waterloo cucks I interned with

t. carleton U grad with big fucking money out the gates

Attached: shitpostan.gif (500x281, 399K)

not the person you replied to but you sound pretty dumb. you should think about it, your mindset is poisonous

yeah, but unless I'm confident you are going to make my quarter amazing I'd rather hire americans or europeans that are "safe" bets (for example: polytechnique paris, TU eindhoven, oxford/cambridge etc.)

tfw only got into UBC

Attached: That Canadian Feell.jpg (572x626, 172K)

Same situation as you @ Western U

You guys party hard.. went to a western U rave and it was nothing like I've ever seen before. Everyone was on drugs. I was rolling with a genius Asian kid in maths and he went on to do a masters in statistics in toronto U.

where do you work/how much out the gates might I ask? I'm in Ottawa working for a large company making 90k. Just graduated 4 months ago

Attached: thinking.jpg (640x359, 43K)

Good for you but I think you are the top 1% of your respective schools and comparing yourselves with the top 30% of Waterloo. I have classmates at Rentech, KPCB, and another one who got at 150K signing bonus to join some obscure stealth Elon Musk startup/

My point being: there are bright people everywhere, I'm not belittling your achievements, it's great... but I'm pretty confident that you are a dime a dozen among my graduating class (and probably better than me since I almost got kicked out kek)

Attached: 6dBt2Oj.jpg (251x242, 15K)

I'm pretty dumb but I got the best job out of all my peers coming out of uni all because I outsourced my school work to friends while I networked and did open source work during my final year. Not poisonous or deceptive tho, everyone involved knew about it and we all still laugh about it.

I just know a lot of guys who are really smart but messed up their plan / didn't network and now are sitting at home with no job.

that's true, carleton guy here. Most people get kicked out and half my graduating class didn't have a job lined up. It was embarassing

what said. It's all about networking and playing the game right. I got my job through referrals. Aka if I didn't go to this one party I wouldn't have gotten this opportunity

I get 120k CAD in waterloo.

what do you do

Attached: anger.jpg (600x532, 42K)

Western fag here, I agree with you. Most of my class got terrible jobs (imo) out of uni

"Cyber security research"
I'm one of the only guys at my lab who doesn't have his PhD. I'm also the guy preaching networking in this thread

NCC?

like pentesting? Or data analysis of systems - something along the lines of this people.scs.carleton.ca/~mvvelzen/pH/pH.html

All of the above. Its a general research position, I jump from project to project every month.

>carleton U
Based Raven. Where do you work dude. I need muh connections

IBM, though that's not saying much since it's fuckhuge with a lot of different teams under different jurisdictions.
cool user, good luck. I'm a general software developer. I can pump out features fast. I've recently got clearance for our user analyitcs so I'm going to start working on the system that supports it and doing analysis on it for PMs

90k is still pretty decent. In my opinion if you got over 80k immediately after uni in Canada you're doing alright. I got friends working at the 50-65k level and that shit is just bad

desu I just see my value as being more. I am extremely productive - just as fast as the seniors. Im already looking for other jobs kek

Attached: zuckerberg.jpg (290x174, 9K)

>ibm
Shit dude whose dick do i have to suck to get a job there?
I'm going to look for internships next semester for the summer. I got kicked out of co-op for shit grades. Got any tips?

Waterloo has good co-op connections to Nvidia, if that matters to you.

>50-65k
>tfw Google Waterloo, office is shiny af
feels good man

Attached: Just+finished+watching+the+made+in+abyss+anime+holy++_2ea30937233a238d0d3de408c35dc770.jpg (480x454, 32K)

Thanks bro you too
IBM right out of uni in Canada?
So you got the 74k + 5k signing they give every new hire?
I actually used that IBM offer to leverage my current salary.
Anyway just a word of warning IBM (especially Markham lab) will drain the life out of your career and next thing you know you'll be there for 30 years. Aim to leave after 3yrs max to keep that momentum going

Im sure I lost many job offers when I told I can't accept less than 100. Knowing your worth is always good

Look at the IBM job posting page, there's literally a million internship/coop jobs. Markham lab specifically has a crazy amount of coop turn over.
Its not a very good coop tho, youre most likely gonna get pulled into testing/support. Its good to have on your resume tho.

Wait google waterloo is giving you 50-65?? Iv been to that office , its nice. Based on the housing market around that office I thought you guys were rich.

I got kicked out of coop too. Too many parties. I just applied for internships - like 50 of them and finally got one. I knew my shit because I learned what I saw often on job requirements. I kicked ass at my internship and as a result they gave me lots of responsibilities. Just snowballed after that.

checklist:
>make sure your school is good - you wanna graduate with honors at carleton if you can.
>grades aren't end all be all - just min max the woes away
>do well in the classes that matter
>apply to 3 jobs a day, get into fswep, anything to have some job experience before you graduate

Getting into IBM as a coop, just make sure your shit smells nice. Aka know some javascript, have some dummy apps up on your github. 90% of getting an internship is luck so just keep on rolling the dice till you get it

general tips
>dont be a pussy, use linux
>program as a hobby, make something that you would like

Attached: me.png (577x387, 62K)

i got 85 + 5 bonus, which is why I was saying 90. I have a 1 on 1 on monday and I'm going to ask for more, because I demolished every metric they had on me. Also, I've been applying to other jobs, had an interview recently

I met one person at my old coop that used to work at IBM and he told me his one regret was working there for 2 years instead of 1 lmao

>Its not a very good coop tho, youre most likely gonna get pulled into testing/support. Its good to have on your resume tho.
This

Attached: contempt.jpg (261x260, 13K)

>Wait google waterloo is giving you 50-65?? Iv been to that office , its nice. Based on the housing market around that office I thought you guys were rich.
kek no, I make 160k + RSUs in USD

Youre on a good track man, best of luck

Thanks to you too research bro, hopefully these canadian dinars do a little better against trump coins or we might end up in the US

Nice bait. Google doesn't have an office in Waterloo.

Ahhh I see. That's based.
I got a plan setup to get into that office in a year. Hopefully it works out lol

Not him but its in kitchener, same shit

lots of canadians on Jow Forums

>hurr durr it's google KITCHENER
No one calls it Google Kitchener, even it's internal ref is "Waterloo office" so..

its*
It's sweet, do it. Pretty good teams, I'd say second only to MTV. Gl pal

I'm sure the local tax authorities will agree with yu.

okay

Attached: per_8758-842.jpg (1305x747, 99K)

Thx
So you get 160USD while working in Canada?

I'm from California and went with Waterloo. About to start my 4th year in CS. No regrets

Attached: 1543339367315.jpg (20x20, 1K)

>tfw going to start at Waterloo as a transfer from Harvey Mudd
feels comfy as fuck brother

Long way to travel brother. I did a road trip with a roommate from SF back to Waterloo this summer because we were both doing internships in the bay area.

Are you coming for grad school or undergrad?