At what level can you consider yourself a truly great programmer? what do you need to archieve...

At what level can you consider yourself a truly great programmer? what do you need to archieve? is it about technical knowledge? or something else? how can i archieve greatness?

Attached: godmack.jpg (938x707, 61K)

The more esoteric and cumbersome and simply confusing your FizzBuzz, the better a programmer you are.

depends on the field. Mack is a good programmer because he can quickly understand abstract linear algebraic concepts and apply them to limited hardware, which is a combination of IQ + studying a lot of advanced seconday-level math and Computer Science.
Linus is a good programmer for the same reason, except he studied computer hardware.
the reality is knowing what you want to do with your programming skills and specializing in them to the greatest extent will make you succesful. if you want to do finance, learn functional programming and economics, if you want to do kernel programming, study computer architecture and engineering.
even if you're low IQ, talent can't beat focus, practice and specialization, you will still be very successful just not as good as the greats.

If you're asking "how" to achieve "greatness" then you're just on an ego trip. If you actually like programming and want to be "great" you just keep learning. Fuck off.

>At what level can you consider yourself a truly great programmer?

When you can program in metaphors.

Attached: grandmasterwoj.jpg (764x551, 137K)

Being a great programmer is more about gut than syntactical prowess. I don’t try to keep the entire stdlib in m head, but I’ve got a good instinct for shit. I can’t recall having bet wrong once in the last 5 years.

You can consider yourself one whenever the hell you feel like considering yourself one. For whatever good that'll do you. Why do you even ask the question "am I great?"? Are you looking for a convenient place to give yourself permission to stop learning anything new? Because you won't stay great for very long in this field like that.

You have to become Terry Davis. Only issue is...you can't and you never will.

when you install gentoo

if you can get paid a lot to program or if you make programs almost no one else can make (which is hard to judge desu)

if you trick someone into paying you a lot of money for little work

Pic related, that's it.

Attached: 1*k5v65hJ2AxMM3gaZ8rxvEQ.jpg (800x800, 150K)

In my spare time I am building a discrete transistor fizzbuzz board. I should really just end it all. The 8 segment display logic needs so many fucking transistors.

He's asking about being a great programmer. Not a programmer literally chosen by God.

you have to reverse the NT kernel from assembly and be able to write books about undocumented system calls

Attached: 0735619174.01.S001.LXXXXXXX.jpg (600x781, 62K)

you must program something great to be considered great.

even if it takes me 40 years and 50 million dollars?

This.

I made a script that randomizes my mac, pulls screenfetch and prints subscribe to tseries

I called it poodik.py

Am I great or what

I want that monitor.

>At what level can you consider yourself a truly great programmer?
when fellow programmers use your software and cant live without it.

This. Floens I love u.

except degenerate weebs

>god
kid

When you program something great that's easy to both use and maintain for brainlets.

SICP is not bad, but incredibly overrated.

The fact you're even mentioning IQ in the post surely shows how intelligent you must be.

I would consider a good programmer to be someone who can program something to do tasks better than themselves. A great programmer? Then your code flows as freely as a brush with paint on a canvas, as long as your intentions are pure. Just keep doing it, decide what you want to learn and be good at it.

>dude iq doesnt matter lmao
sure Jamal

When you can make Wordpress themes.

The best

Attached: 1540357366986.png (600x800, 615K)

Linus has said that he isn't a good programmer, he considers his greatest talent to be able to read code very well and understand it, and it's one of the main reasons he bitches about commits in kernel so much, not that he could outdo the work but because he can see that it isn't what it should be. Carmack is not just great programmer but he can apply his skills in programming to tasks in fields that can't be solved with purely code like what he did with VR and it's physical shortcomings at the time with latency and timing, and what he did with rocketry, so he is basically an engineer who just happens to mainly work in programming.

So basically I'd say that you can consider yourself as a truly great programmer when it becomes just a tool to achieve a goal that might not necessarily be about a programming task, but you can apply it to something where the most crucial part of it is solved by your understanding of programming that couldn't be solved by any other means.