Why are CS students so stubborn when it comes to the very basis of STEM: mathematics...

Why are CS students so stubborn when it comes to the very basis of STEM: mathematics. Is it still true that many of them join expecting to make a living out of game development?

Attached: 18956734.png (1127x769, 160K)

I added CS to my dual major because I believe programming is the best way to express mathematics

Any competent CS program will weed these motherfuckers out. CS is a math degree.

>problem does not give enough info
>only gives chance it will break in combat but not chance it will break per hit

Isn't this just 72%?

The probability of both not breaking is equal to: (1 - 0.1) * (1 - 0.2) = 0.9 * 0.8 = 0.72 = 72%
And the probability of AT LEAST ONE not breaking is equal to: 1 - (probability of both not breakking that is, 0.02 or 2%) = 98%

>cs is a math degree
then why is it called cs?

Who fucking knows? It's a math degree though.

Wrong. The basis of STEM is God.

Attached: prophet.jpg (1971x1971, 321K)

Isn't 1 - x the probability of an event NOT happening though?

no, it’s not.. that was my point that you seemed to gloss over - probably because you lack the critical thinking and argument reading abilities of a mathematician

Yes?

Is even right though? Isn't binomial distribution the correct way of solving this?

Not that guy, but cs is an applied math degree wrapped up in some bullshit business courses.

why isn't geometry about the earth and meter sticks?

Not him but how would you solve this through the binomial distribution function anyways?

Not sure desu. I'm planning to study cryptography in the future so I've recently declared a double major in math. I feel like a lot of cs kids confuse a CS degree for a software engineering degree and they don't consider switching until after they've gone through theory classes. (Sorry for pseudo blogpost)

A lot of schools don't even have a "software engineering" degree. It's just computer science. This makes sense because what the fuck does software engineering even teach you? How to make UML diagrams? Lol

>what the fuck does software engineering even teach you? How to make UML diagrams?

Attached: 1469504253765.jpg (262x263, 9K)

They are right with 72%, I'm pretty sure. But if I remember my math right, I get 74% for the 2nd question.
Probability of at least 1 event of 2 happening is I think:
P(A) + P(B) - 2P(A ∩ B) =
.1 + .2 - 2(.1 * .2) = .26
1 - .26 = .74

user, where did you get that extra .02 from??

Attached: 1499160269646.png (1000x1000, 305K)

>whenever both are used

Not
>whenever both are used to strike

So yeah I carry both swords and kick the shit out of my opponents 100%

Oops, thought you were talking about the first part of the riddle. But how the heck did you get a 74% probability for the second part anyways?

Playing games is literally the only place I've seen these kind of statistics. The conditional probabilities of the real world tend to be a little less cookie cutter than "Patch 1.0.5: Shield evasion now stacks multiplicative with Fleet Foot talent rather than additively."

Yeah I'm pretty sure I fucked that up. I don't remember basic statistics.

why did you multiply (A && B) by 2?

Never took stats, but isn't the second question just 98%? I mean think about it, the probability of you breaking only one, but not both, is the same as the inverse of breaking both. So calculate the probability of breaking one:
0.1 * 0.2 = 0.02

and invert it to get
98%

*So calculate the probability of breaking both

applied math with cs to dilute it even more isn’t a pure math degree

so because geometry isn’t about tools to measure the earth, cs is suddenly a math degree? lmao

>t. maths+cd student

>so because geometry isn’t about tools to measure the earth, cs is suddenly a math degree? lmao
I just bunked your argument that the fact that it's called computer science means it's not a math degree.
you wanna back up your position you're gonna need further evidence bud

Honestly games development degrees are a scam that should be outlawed. Doing CS I had classes with those people and as you'd expect with gamers, they were all sheltered, unintelligent and soft people. They need a kick up the arse and not to be sucked into debt

No, I just bunked your argument. Just because geometry doesn't have a more suitable name does NOT mean math is now called cs. There is no connection and no bunking took place on your behalf. your argument only states that computer science doesn't necessarily mean it's about computers, or science. make the connection, I dare you.

Yeah I don't think you need to subtract the .26 from 1 and the probability of one weapon exclusively breaking and not both should just be 26%.
If you want the probability of only 1 event of 2 occurring and not 1 or both events occurring I think you need to multiply by 2 in the formula. Otherwise if you just want any event occurring at all, get rid of the 2.
.02 is the probability of both breaking though not of only one of them breaking. Also though that does sound intuitive, when I took stats and did things intuitively, I would always just learn I was wrong and there would often be a formula to use so I'm just using the formula that I might me remembering incorrectly.

same but in a less gay way

it's just rebranded mathematical concepts like procedural epistemology and lambda calculus. how do you not know this? where are you getting your degree from?

Hahahahaha! What a fucking nerd. I added CS to my dual major because I wanted moneys. The courses taught me absolutely nothing that my math formal logic didn't already teach me in one course, but hey, it looks good on a resume.

You guys think I'll make it through computer engineering?

Attached: 1538700677548.jpg (564x722, 52K)

yeah just b yourself

i never said it involves no math. but compilers neq math, along with many other classes. even if the concepts are embedded in there. it's simply not a math degree, it doesnt prepare u 4 grad studies like a math degree would.

also u dodged my question, nice. if a phys or logic degree isn't math, cs certainly isn't eithre

This guy is perfectly right
1: Both sword (90% = 0.9) and dagger (80% = 0.8) survive, 0.9 * 0.8 = 0.72
2. At least one survive = NOT both break
sword break = 0.1, dagger break = 0.2
NOT thing = 1 - thing
1 - (0.1 * 0.2) = 1 - 0.02 = 0.98
3.If the question was about exactly one weapon breaking, you'd find 1 - P(both break, tl;dr case 2) - P(neither break, tl;dr: case 1)
1 - 0.28 - 0.02 = 1 - 0.3 = 0.7

Don't be me and you have a chance

So if there was a 50% chance of rain on two seperate days, what would be the odds of any rain falling at all over the 2 day period?

Attached: 1527600893488.png (1280x720, 465K)

This thread is a bunch nintendo soi boys try to flex their STEM degrees.

75%

Aquamarine dagger looks cool but it's hot trash.

It's actually 100% because of how those statistics work

50%, it either happens or doesnt

Assuming that the knives break independently of eachother:
>(abreak*bok + bbreak*aok + aok*bok)/() =
(0.10*0.80 + 0.20*0.90 + 0.90*0.80)/(0.10*0.80 + 0.20*0.90 + 0.90*0.80 + 0.10*0.20) = 0.72

call me a brainlet for listing all the outcomes like this but it works c:

you can anwyays juggle around with the numbers to get (1 - 0.1*0.2)
by e.g factorizing or replacing 0.8 with (1-0.2) and stuff like that
which I find to be a sortof interesting thing but that I can not actually explain why is possible
or even whether it is always possible in cases like this

starting with cases where not two breaks:
> 0.1*0.8 + 0.2*0.9 + 0.9*0.8
> (0.1 + 0.9)*0.8 + 0.2*0.9
> 0.8 + 0.2*0.9
> (1 - 0.2) + 0.2*0.9
> 1 + 0.2*(0.9 - 1)
> 1 + 0.2*(-0.1)
> 1 - 0.1*0.2

Attached: 1544453639890.jpg (1000x1000, 185K)

doesn't say whether or not the probabilities are independent so there is no answer

>STEM
>CS
>MATHEMATICS

Attached: Screenshot_55.png (700x652, 561K)

>WELFARE
>THEFT
>RAPE

Attached: images.jpg (275x183, 5K)

Who is telling the truth?

Attached: For_Anon.png (1024x1024, 1.36M)

Well what meant with 100% is that a 50% chance of rain actually means rain, with 50% area coverage. But if it really meant that there was a 50% chance of rain the answer would be 75%

I'm in computer engineering and the calculus classes sucked. I'm doing fine with other math but the average in calc 2 and 3 were like C's so I think a lot of people had trouble.

Let's be real, you usually don't have to apply concepts from those classes, in either different classes or the real world. I understand the math is important but they could easily make easier versions of those classes for comp eng/cs

maybe you should inform a bit on computability theory then you dummy