Is Brave finally worth using now that it's essentially ungoogled chromium with some extra stuff?

Is Brave finally worth using now that it's essentially ungoogled chromium with some extra stuff?

Attached: brave.png (583x548, 41K)

Other urls found in this thread:

snapcraft.io/
github.com/brave/browser-laptop/issues/9531
cryptonews.com/exclusives/4-ways-governments-could-misuse-the-blockchain-2409.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Pretty much, unless your an autist who needs something that has no Google whatsoever

Why should I use Brave over Iridium? I'm curious.

oh shiiiiiit. i didn't know the source was open.

>Replacing ads with their own ads
LOL fuck that

>viewing ads ever
wat

It's off and blocks all ads by default. You can opt in to viewing ads which will net you their version of bitcoin.

Mfw you've clearly never used the browser, it's optional to have ads replaced with their ads, an option you should use to support ethical advertising

mfw you have no face.

Attached: tusk.jpg (1600x900, 75K)

Stop shilling this garbage

Fingerprint protection doesn't work at all. It DOES change the WebGL fingerprint to "undetermined" and your canvas fingerprint is spoofed. But, nothing else is done to make your browser non-unique.

Tor tabs lack any additional anti-fingerprint methods. They don't isolate system fonts nor do they spoof your user agent or have a way to force the browser to a specific resolution uniform to all other Brave Tor users. Your desktop resolution is also revealed. This means tor tabs are completely useless as your privacy is trivial to breach.
Brave users are a minority among Tor users, which means even when using a Tor tab you can be uniquely identified. The only thing you're able to mask is what website you visit, and that's only from your ISP. All ad companies and trackers still know which sites you visit in Tor tabs.

The Brave adblocker is trash compared to uBlock Origin. First, it seems to be based on AdBlockPlus which performs significantly worse than uBO. The performance is difference is massive if you enable any additional block lists in Brave's blocker. Which you have to because Brave's adblocker is not only inefficient, but also lacks a ton of filters by default and a lot of ads will still be displayed. Also, uBlock Origin blocks domains instead of just hiding ads, plus it has a script blocker and an element picker.

(((PIA))) partnership.
Has proprietary addons.

Attached: brave.png (1234x669, 45K)

Not who you were responding to, but Brave lets you access the Chrome store now, meaning you can install Ublock Origin. Given you lack of knowledge regarding that, I'm skeptical that your claims are based on the new Chromium based build, and are actually based on Muon.

They're based on the current Linux release, which is 0.25.2 Muon. Until something new gets pushed to snaps it's 100% correct and relevant.

>you can install Ublock Origin
It should come by default instead of (((ABP)))

The current Linux release is based on Chromium. I'm literally testing it right now. Here's proof.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-12-11 04-43-55.png (1366x768, 193K)

It's not the snap version

No idea what the "snap" version is. But this is Chromium.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-12-11 04-49-24.png (1366x768, 92K)

It's getting there
I need sync and they need to fix JS being enabled by default on Tor tabs even when you toggle script blocking in the settings

>don't know what snaps is
snapcraft.io/

Oh, it's a "Terminal is scary!" poster.

Ok. Sorry it's too hard for you to copy-paste some code in terminal.

>Brave
Get back to Jow Forums, (((Eich)))

I did put code in terminal, once "sudo apt install snapd" and then "snap install brave".
I don't want to contaminate my computer with a bunch of random repositories when snaps exist. And the whole point of snaps was to let developers push updates as fast as possible. Apparently the brave team isn't competent enough to do that.
Besides, why the fuck should I have to use the terminal to install software? I see you're on Mint too. You literally have no right to "mock" anyone if you're using a baby distro which comes with an app store itself and tries to avoid terminal usage.

>now that it's essentially ungoogled chromium
it's not, really. it has a few patchsets similar to, but not nearly as exhaustive as UGC's is, nor does it have its sandbox hardening.

though it might be valid for a Windows user to utilize it since building UGC on Windows is pretty fucking gay. you still have to put up with Brave's weird bullshit like their ad system (which you don't have to opt in but is always in your face near the url bar) and their fuckugly new tab page

What?

>you still have to put up with Brave's weird bullshit like their ad system (which you don't have to opt in but is always in your face near the url bar)
I don't see it as that big of a deal. It's not like you're forced to click on it.

>brave is a thinly veiled botnet & a security risk
brave is deeply rooted in the blockchain-botnet and sports an ponzi redistribution scheme designed to benefit advertisement agencies.

also all brave features are either things you can do yourself and deprecated extensions, hardcoded into the browser itself (it doesn't matter that you can disable it).

advertising is ruing the internet and should be fought not embraced. everybody that claims otherwise are bad content creators or blackhat seo's.

Have you bothered reading Life after Google, by chance? Look it up, and look at the author's credentials. Blockchain is the future, and pretty much the only way to decentralize the internet.

blockchain is a cancer, created to kill off regular money and replaced it with digital fiat currency (worse than our current physical fiat money) and centralize internet through a control grid that disallow all forms of financial transactions that aren't blockchain supported.

add government bureaucracy, biometrics & digital id's to that mixture and you get everything else but a free de-centralized internet

It's better than current fiat currency because it's quantity is limited and it is infinitely divisible. No more debasing the currency by flooding it with more. The key is figuring out a way around government regulation.

You can change the new tab page.

ewwwww mint.

No integration with KeepassXC, it's shit. Also no Vimium, it's unusable shit.

Now that it's chromium-based, you can get those things.
God damn the FUD in Brave threads is strong

Fuck off, you can install the extension but it doesn't connect to the database. Know your shit shill.

Same shit with vimium, you can install it but it doesn't work, look at the issues.
github.com/brave/browser-laptop/issues/9531
Here they say it works in dev, didn't look. Anyways it doesn't work in stable. And no vimium-c.

I don't use KeepassXC, so I can't speak on that, but i'm browsing using vimium right now. working fine ;^)
Are you on the Muon version and doing the weird recompile trick to install the extension, or are you getting it straight from the chrome web store on the new version?

>Get paid imaginary currency to view ads for products that won't accept your imaginary currency

Using brave-bin, it's chromium based. Just installing from the webstore.
>aur/brave-bin 0.57.18-1 (+129 7.84%) (Installed)
>Version 0.57.18 Chromium: 71.0.3578.80 (Official Build) unknown (64-bit)

You forgot
>verify your creator account to get paid in virtual shekels
>don't get paid if you don't make an account

Chromium and by extension Brave have unusable UI so no.

Attached: yikes.png (719x462, 62K)

All currency is imaginary tho.

Nice. Still needs an account to use no? If not gib info pls.

>electron: the browser
>ever worth it

This.

digital currencies are worse than regular money, because it doesn't actually exist. and the blockchain is an integral part of the governments future plans of centralizing internet and tracking people.

Regular money doesn't exist either. The paper it's made of is useless for anything but starting fire. 90% of any "standard" currency is in a digital form anyways. What's worse is more than 15% of money are loans. This "loan money" doesn't exist and is created out of thin air, out of nothing. This is why every currency is fucking worthless and why the world is getting into more debt every year.
>blockchain
>centralizing
You're retarded.

For phones? Yes
Computer? No

damn brave threads really trigger some people haha i wonder why :^)

Thread auto updating is broken under the latest release.

>not using 4chanx

cryptonews.com/exclusives/4-ways-governments-could-misuse-the-blockchain-2409.htm

>blocks ads
>inserts own ads
why.jpg

The first two points are basically same shit, and the whole idea of blockchain IS to have transparent transactions.
>Create an immutable social credit scoring system
Retarded. This is viable without blockchain.
>falsified data
You'd need to control 51% of the market to do this. And you don't need blockchain to falsify data.
The whole article is absurdly retarded and FUD. There's no reason to even centralize anything, which is the whole point.

>doesn't happen unless you go out of your way to enable this because its entirely opt in
>shitpost about it every chance anyway
why.webp

Yep. It's the best choice for mobile but not for your desktop

>update brave on android
>blinding white bubble gay design
I need a new browser