I'm falling for the Linux meme. My windows machine has been fucking with me for the past 4 weeks...

I'm falling for the Linux meme. My windows machine has been fucking with me for the past 4 weeks, and now that I'm taking more work that doesn't really work with windows, I feel like it's time to change.

I have basically 0 Linux knowledge/experience, but I work a tiny bit with Unix command line before.

I want to install Arch. I heard Linux users say it's ass rape to install, but how hard can it really be if I give it some time and follow along a tutorial? Am I retarded for wanting to go ahead with this? Will I end up punching a hole through my monitor? Do you have any advice? Thanks.

Attached: 1544474518478.png (1349x695, 13K)

Other urls found in this thread:

xubuntu.org/
linuxmint.com/
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/installation_guide
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

install gentoo fren it's gud

Attached: apu-cat.png (435x318, 103K)

Read the wiki then you're good. It's not hard at all, I've more problems when installing Ubuntu and others with graphical installers.

>I want to install Arch. I heard Linux users say it's ass rape to install, but how hard can it really be if I give it some time and follow along a tutorial?
I want to stab myself in the hand with a fork. I heard it's really painful at first but after a while it stops bleeding and you get used to the pain. But how bad can it be if I watch a howto video on it?

Install Q4OS.

Attached: snapshot5.png (1366x768, 737K)

Arch wiki or Linux wiki?

Man, just install Fedora or Debian, and read the manuals.

Installation isn't really hard if you'r not a complete brainlet. The configuration after installation can be a pain because of all the options you have. If you'r new to Linux and want Arch experience without the hassle install Manjaro. If you wanna fuck around and learn then go with Arch.

Install it in virtualbox and mess around until you're comfortable. It's not that hard once you get the hang of it. You might just want manjaro though.

..but why? KDE3.5 is so antiquated now. It was good back in 2004, but now it's about as useful as XP.

try arch wiki, if you can't grasp it try another tutorials on the internet
arch wiki is meant for linux power user

Linux is fine, and by all means give it a shot, but just a reminder that if "windows is fucking with you" it's probably not the OS that's being retarded.

>but now it's about as useful as XP
Yeah, as useful as Windows XP with a fully modern base OS that's stable and secure that can run modern web browsers and other tools. Tell me exactly what I'm missing out on. Fancy window snapping and animations? I think I'll keep my extra 1GB of RAM for myself. Thanks.

gentoo user here (yeah, no big deal really). i recommend starting with Arch too, ignore everyone else - i’m smarter than all of them anyway

I can't wait for you to make thread complaining about Linux.

>I think I'll keep my extra 1GB of RAM for myself.
>thinking KDE5 is still a ram hog.
pls if chrome wasn't open I'd be running at 750mb idle.

following up to my previous post

Attached: ram.png (1072x782, 235K)

>pls if chrome wasn't open I'd be running at 750mb idle.
Q4OS has a minimum requirement of 128MB of RAM and runs comfortable in 250MB (32-bit) or 512MB (64-bit). Suck shit, bloat nigger.

Attached: 1541711645876.jpg (720x554, 38K)

Install Xubuntu xubuntu.org/ or Linux Mint linuxmint.com/
Do not listen to the Jow Forums autists.
Start with something simple, if you need something autistic then move on later.

Attached: cinnamon.png (1920x1200, 1.09M)

u mad u so mad
Get a job so you can afford a machine that can run something more modern poor boy.

Use TempleOS.

Nice cope, bloatlet. I'm on a machine that can handle any modern desktop OS just fine. I have an X230 with 8GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD.

>third gen intlel processor
>8gb of ram
>256gb drive
Topkek you amuse me. Don't stop being this autistic so people can continue to laugh at you.

Lol butthurt. RAM used for meaningless filler animations is wasted RAM.

>I can't defend my shitty desktop environment so I have to call people butthurt because my keypoints are shit
>being so autistic you have to have a desktop environment that uses minimum resources for "speed" you're not even going to notice.
Keep being autistic please, it's hilarious.

>reeee he doesn't use the newest thing!
NPC mentality. Explain to me why I should use Plasma when KDE 3.5 does the same shit faster and with less resources. I'll wait.

Attached: 1541861257754.png (618x618, 29K)

>i've never installed linux before
don't install arch first. just don't.
make a ubuntu live usb and try it out before installing anything. if you like that, then install from the usb. if you feel like you like linux, and don't want to go back, then install arch and fail at it a few times. everyone does. anyone saying they got everything 100% right on the first time are lying. i guarantee they fucked something up. you don't want to waste work time trying to install your os. there just isn't a good reason to put in the work to install arch without knowing it's what you want, because arch doesn't come with anything installed. nothing. zip.
start with ubuntu which comes with tons of crap you won't want because it also comes with the crap you do.

It is not that hard, but you might find yourself reading up on things you never had to read up on.
I had used Linux for a 8 years before I installed arch and something as simple as formatting the drives stumped me.
I wanted to dualboot arch with my Debian setup which was a trivial thing if I just installed Debian, Ubuntu or fedora. But suddenly I had to read up on the different options that nobody give a shit about.
It took a whole day to get things installed, and I ended wiping it and starting over once I had learned from my mistakes.
>arch wiki is meant for linux power user
No it is not. The arch wiki is very user friendly and everyone should use it, regardless of whether they use arch or not.

>Tell me exactly what I'm missing out on.
Krunner.
For me, that is the main reason to use KDE at all.

First off let us start with the shit show of your desktop. You have to use wicid to connect to the internet because KDE 3 is so outdated its network manager doesn't work properly anymore. Secondly, the native compositioning is shit in what is now TDE so if you want anything remotely useable you gotta use Compton. Dare we go into the subject of how TDE terminal fucks up? Or how TDE can break the sound packages? You say your operating system is secure? Why haven't you upgraded your kernel for the latest security patches. You made a wisecrack about "bloat" because I use chrome, but you appear to use it yourself. Do you talk about your precious ram being wasted yet you use chrome? Are you seeing how autistic you are now?

op never used linux, so arch wiki is not for him

>You have to use wicid to connect to the internet because KDE 3 is so outdated its network manager doesn't work properly anymore.
It works. Wicd is my preferred network manager and it's in the post-install script I run to set up Debian systems.
>Secondly, the native compositioning is shit in what is now TDE so if you want anything remotely useable you gotta use Compton.
Don't care.
>Dare we go into the subject of how TDE terminal fucks up?
The terminal just works.
>Or how TDE can break the sound packages?
Doesn't happen.
>You say your operating system is secure? Why haven't you upgraded your kernel for the latest security patches.
Don't care. I'll update whenever I feel like it.
>You made a wisecrack about "bloat" because I use chrome, but you appear to use it yourself.
Bullshit. Show me where I said anything about Chrome in this whole thread.
>Do you talk about your precious ram being wasted yet you use chrome?
No, because that's a proper use of my RAM. My RAM is for running applications, not for my desktop environment to waste on numale frivolities.
>Are you seeing how autistic you are now?
No.

Attached: 99d47450cb50c2b7aad98e7414a7b2bcb0fd9bcce57fe1d38258d6a48f1af010.jpg (695x558, 45K)

Fair enough. Looks like a useful feature for some but I don't use it.

Right here sugar tits.
You're just making yourself look more and more retarded just give up trying to defend a second-rate desktop environment.
>Don't care. I'll update whenever I feel like it.
>Talks about secure desktop but doesn't care about keeping is secure. Instead, bitches about desktop effects
>being this autistic.

Wow, are you just pretending to be retarded or what? Me choosing not to update my system more than once every couple weeks doesn't make it insecure. People can choose to automate updates. I simply choose not to.

Blow it out your ass.

Attached: hodor.jpg (434x339, 70K)

Attached: kek.jpg (273x185, 8K)

>Me choosing not to update my system more than once every couple weeks doesn't make it insecure
but not keeping your kernel updated does idiot

Use Manjaro. It's based on Arch and really easy to install. Don't start with Arch. It took me a week to figure out how to install ubuntu when i was a noob even though it's just as simple. You could end up being retarded like me so start easy. Pick a DE that suits your hardware they each have pros and cons.

>I want to install Arch. I heard Linux users say it's ass rape to install, but how hard can it really be if I give it some time and follow along a tutorial?
It's honestly not that difficult, just takes some time.

>but not keeping your kernel updated does idiot
If this isn't bait you're a mental midget.

Attached: snapshot6.png (668x426, 18K)

>inb4 it's a month old
Misread the 0 as 1. Point still stands.

>still using kernel 4.9 when 4.19.8 is out
Holy dog shit I bet you voted for Hillary too.

Arch is not that hard to install
But since you have 0 unix/gnu/linux knowlage it will take you a while
Going for arch as a first distro is a great introduction to the whole thing, would recommend

It is a severely underrated feature.
It makes everything so efficient, it is like when you have a friend where you can just look at him and he knows what you are thinking helping you out all the time.
It is really great and it has kept me on kde for the past 7 years. I have tried other options, but this is the one application I just can't find a replacement for on other desktops. I haven't tried razorqt/lxqts launcher yet, I really should but this application is easily worth any extra memory usage KDE uses.

Uh huh. Cope harder.

Hey, if that's an actual feature keeping you on Plasma then go for it.

What the fuck is Linux wiki even

is it not the same as using the search bar on the application launcher which is present on most DEs?

It kind of is, but kind of isn't. Krunner can even run terminal commands and allow you to go to websites. For instance I quite often frequent my college's website so I type in "www.user.edu" and it opens the website in my default browser. Saves some time than having to open a web browser and type it.

Neat, I'll have to start using it more

It launches applications.
Switches to running applications.
Runs terminal commands.
Finds files.
Calculations.
Searches the internet.
And it have a very intelligent way to understand what you want, so after a while, the first result is what you want even though you didn't type the whole thing

I went with Arch as my first distro, just install it in a VM a couple times to get familiar with the process.
Make sure to follow the guide and everything will be fine.
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/installation_guide

>install linux on my toaster laptop
>can no longer use wifi
Simply epic. It says that I am in airplane mode and there is no way I can turn it off unless I toogle the hardware switch or something. I tried pressing the button that enables communication in my laptop but nothing happens. Am I fucked? Did my drivers get fucked or something? Am using ubuntu if that helps.

Arch is not hard to install, I did it when I was a complete noob with no linux experience, just read the wiki, watch a couple vids and practice in a virtual machine then you'll be good to go.

>being retarded

Linux Mint / Ubuntu with Cinnamon (same thing but slightly more work to set up)

>windows
>probably not retarded
cant tell if bait or serious and I know about PEBKAC
unused RAM is wasted RAM, but a windows user probably wont understand, I bet you also use "RAM cleaners" on your Android phone