Excluding the time compiling, how long did it take you to install Gentoo?

Excluding the time compiling, how long did it take you to install Gentoo?

Attached: 1146px-Gentoo_Linux_logo_matte.svg.png (1146x1200, 174K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/irssi#TLS_Connection
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/CPU_FLAGS_X86
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Full/Installation#Updating_the_.40world_set
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Quick_Installation_Checklist
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Kernel
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel/Configuration
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel/Gentoo_Kernel_Configuration_Guide
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Hardware_detection
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Xorg/Guide
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/HDD
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/USB/Guide
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Intel
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Nouveau
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Radeon
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/AMDGPU
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Wifi
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I did it on a raspberry pi gen 1 back in the day.
It took way too fucking long.

Gentoo is rolling release, so the installing is never over

I was able to use it on the same day.
Hard to say, because I planned a lot on how to set it up, afterwards it's just growing organically.

OP here. I've been using Arch for like 5 months now and I'd say that was my first ever dedicated Linux experience. I've been tripping over the Linux and power user meme ever since and wanted to try installing Gentoo just to autistically spice up my fetch for desktop threads (increasing my Linux knowledge is a plus too). What do you think, Jow Forums? Am I up for the challenge?

No, nobody should install Gentoo. The package manager alone is more complex than most operating systems.

Imagine unironically believing this.

If you can use arch you can use gentoo. If you have enough cores the compiling doesn't even take that long. It's the most powerful distribution.

Install gentoo

I'm 2 days in rn. Drive doesn't show up in bios and I restarted after second day

without configuring and compilation time a fresh install takes maybe 1 minute.

>mfw no one answers the question properly
It took me 40min excluding compile time.

Even better

then you are retarded. excluding configurations dn compilation should take you at most 10 minutes and even then you must be mentally retarded. A linux installation requires literally 5 commands to be executed and that's it your system is installed.

desu downloading the tarball and verifying it and extracting it takes longer than the whole install of the os.

if you've ever gone through the handbook you'd know the install process is almost identical, it's only worth it if you have a gorillion core cpu

First time? How long have you been using Linux and how would you rate your Linux knowledge at the time?

Arch is like gentoo but without the filth

I used Arch from 2010 until 15 as main driver.
Had Gentoo since 2008 but only as main since 2015.

In all of those years Arch did break whether it was my fault or the developers it did break multiple timrs.

Gentoo on the other hand in the last ten years did not break for me one Single time. Dead serious. Contrary even if I fucked something bad I could fix it easily since Portage is a beast of a package manager.

Also Gentoo is the sole distro I ever tried where everything (including all packages) works as expected.

This.

I tried Gentoo this weekend, I can see why people like it (insane configurability and customisability, great documentation, portage is beastly, unparalleled optimisation options) but it just doesn't seem viable on older hardware like my laptop (Dell E6400); even basic stuff like xorg took an insanely long time to compile. I can't imagine how long it would take to get a desktop environment up and running, even with some larger programs like Firefox available pre-compiled.

Attached: 20181210.jpg (3264x2448, 2.52M)

>even basic stuff like xorg

xorg is not basic.

2 days stage1 back in 2003... If I remember correctly it was Gentoo 1.4

Nowadays like 1h without scripts. I use it as a special purpose server os.

"Fundamental", then; still, is Gentoo viable for low end hardware given the compile times?

You can crosscompile for those cases(different architecture). If the hardware is similar enough then you can also use distcc to do most of the heavy shit on your main rig instead. Portage can also dump your compiled packages in your own defined dirs so that you can use them as binhosts for low end machines.
Gentoo is a meta distro.

Excluding compiling? Half an hour. With compiling? An entire day

It took me several hours first time around. The bulk of it was me being retarded and not figuring out how to setup networking (wireless isn't even on by default and if you use WPA for your home you're fucked, at least when I did it), and the rest was figuring out what hardware I had on my generic chinkshit toshiba laptop so I could configure the kernel.

If you have a thinkpad or desktop (esp. custom), and therefore already know your hardware and have a wired connection, you won't have to deal with those issues. And if it makes you feel better you probably wouldn't look as dumb as brian lunduke did when he installed it. The documentation/installation-guide is quite good if you're not stupid like me and brian.

Once you have your programs that's no longer an issue; at that point the optimized performance kicks in and it's even more viable. That said: if you don't wanna compile, plenty of larger programs come in binaries instead.

>portage
>complex
Get a load of this wintoddler. It's written in python you fucking mong

A graphical user interface is a basic requirement in modern times. You're not doing anything without a GUI

Write a script to do it? It will take up nothing.
Manually? ~10 minutes excluding compilation, if you already know what to do.
First time? At least an hour, depends on how much you have to read up on.
Get everything working manually (sound etc)? More that 1 day if you doing it for the first time.

I just got done installing from scratch and it took me about 2.5days, that includes compiling kernel like ~10 times (I kept breaking stuff because of muh minimalism), compiling QtWebEngine and GCC and other time-consuming programs a bunch of times.
I got X, i3, qutebrowser, pulseaudio working, gcc uses -O3 and PGO, kernel has all of the useless shit removed (e.g. by default it compiles modules for telephone), good looking fonts, mpv with HW rendering.
Still no rice done at all.

It could've been done much faster but I'm retarded and autistic. The biggest reason it took so long is because I set USE="-*" and add all of the USE flags manually, so in the beginning I have to recompile stuff often to add necessary features.

Last time I tried was in either 2012 or 2013. I remember trying to install Firefox first thing after finishing Gentoo's installation, and I waited about five hours before giving up

First try on an ancient laptop: about 3 days if I include X and other stuff and the compiling
Second install on a new thinkpad: about 1 day for everything including KDE

>nobody should buy a Ferrari, just buy a Ford model T or Trabant because muh simplicity

Arch is harder than gentoo because the documentation of it sucks in comparison and because the Arch devs are lazy so you have to do a lot of shit manually that gentoo or any other sane distro does for you.

Arch wiki is better than Gentoo wiki though, I use it all the time.

Nah. It's not 2016 anymore. They purposely overhauled the Arch wiki to make everything harder to find.

Sure, for the more obscure things it's better. But their main docs are a joke

Attached: arch too easy to install.png (3300x6993, 1.54M)

About 15 minutes, but I've been compiling for about 12 hours straight now

don't build gentoo on a celeron kids

Not long

this is my fetish, t b h

I tried putting it on my laptop once, it took so long to compile, I don't even remember how it ended, maybe there was some error and I just gave up after.

I've got a gentoo system without x working on a Pentium 4, then wiped it and threw openbsd in it a week later. I like gentoo but you need decent hardware if you want a pleasant experience

30 minutes to tty
60 minutes to X

>what is distcc

I was getting tempted to try gentoo on it again after all these years, I might give openbsd a spin on it instead, it's been a few years since I last used bsd.

I thought about setting up distcc but I didn't have enough pentium 4s to work together and didn't want to set it up for cross compiling

>didn't want to set it up for cross compiling
What
just replace -march=native with whatever -march you need in your main make.conf and everything should just werk

OpenBSD is nice, but you might like FreeBSD more. Just try both and pick the one that's more comfortable

Pro tip: fbgrab

Took me 3 days to install Gentoo + X + i3. Plus a couple weeks to have a stable and almost-working config. This was my first time installing a linux and I'm a braindead. It was worth it, I love gentoo and I'm enjoying the linux ride so far. I still have some problems, maybe some user could help ?
- How can I transfert files between my phone (android) and my laptop using bluetoothctl only?
- How do I set up irssi ? I get a "warning SSL handshake failed: unknown protocol" when i try to connect to freenode.
- Any good rss feed readers (cli only) out there, beside snownews ?
- When and where do you start compton and redshift (in xinitrc or in i3 config file) ? Because redshift does nothing when I'm starting it when X/i3 starts. Compton works as expected (transparent background in term), except for windows which have been started with i3 layout.

>How can I transfert files between my phone (android) and my laptop using bluetoothctl only?
Use wifi nigger
>How do I set up irssi ? I get a "warning SSL handshake failed: unknown protocol" when i try to connect to freenode.
might be helpful:
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/irssi#TLS_Connection
When and where do you start compton and redshift (in xinitrc or in i3 config file) ? Because redshift does nothing when I'm starting it when X/i3 starts. Compton works as expected (transparent background in term), except for windows which have been started with i3 layout.
install bspwm

how long did it take to compile the kernel and x on that?

>gentoo

kongoulations on your first post user!

Attached: 7462c409ce49f69e87b9029e415a90a9.jpg (1075x1230, 811K)

How's bspwm as opposed to i3, workflow-wise and performance-wise? All I know about it is that it interprets windows as nodes on a binary tree

>Excluding compile time
Maybe 30 minutes after playing around with my flags and setting up the kernel.
Excluding initial setup compile time, it only took me about an hour and a half to get a fully working system, and about an hour of that was video drivers.

Literally why CloverOS works. Precompiled genkernel with a bunch of bindist utilities to get you immediately into a working system.
Everything after that you can just not use the binhost files and compile shit as you go, nothing else really takes much time after the initial few big things.

>docker pull gentoo/stage3-amd64

not so much, very easy indeed

this t b h desu

no compiling? I would say roughly 12 hours. later I could decrease it to 6 hours, including compilation.
DONT ESELECT A DESKTOP PROFILE ITS NOT WORTH IT

With genkernel all: about an hour for the kernel to compile.
For xorg: about ninety minutes.
Had to keep the machine on its side for better airflow so the fan didn't scream.
I had fun with the install process but, at least with my antique hardware, Gentoo's not for me. Back to Debian I go...

Last time around maybe two hours or a bit less, but that wasn't my first install at all and I did not extensively configure the kernel or extra things like nftables on that machine or watch the USE-flags very carefully.

That's actually not too bad at all, considering you can just use the LTS kernel, remove all the bloat etc and only have to emerge @world every couple months or so.
Did you repaste?
Do you still have the install? Mind emerging mednafen and mpd for me? You can just pipe the emerge command through genlop if you don't feel like actually installing them.

>DONT ESELECT A DESKTOP PROFILE ITS NOT WORTH IT
kek
did this the first time I tried to install Gentoo, waited a good 9 hours on i7 before giving up and trying again after reading the install manual more carefully.

After you've set up the kernel (especially genkernel all), xorg, and your drivers, everything else will compile in under 5 minutes. Most things will compile in maybe 30 seconds, which isnt much slower than an apt install for larger packages.

With the exception of LibreOffice you're already past the slow shit.

Yeah those profiles are a trap for new users. The base system doesn't take very long to compile even if you use genkernel.

Damn, I already nuked the install and put Debian on it. If you lads aren't meming I might try again on a spare disk now I've got the installation basics down, maybe this time with a bit of kernel configuration.
I'm waiting to hear back on job applications atm so it's not like I'm doing anything else.

I'm still running it on a >10 year old laptop with very comparable specs.

The compile times are lengthy (also actually very much because of the slow HDD in that), but operating it isn't really a problem. I don't even bother with distcc usually, I generally just update it when I don't use it.

I mean it dude. it's stupid. the Gentoo Handbook should advise that is better to use the simple profile instead of choosing a desktop one. if you chose to give gentoo a chance, it was to keep packages to a minimum, not compile fucking gtk AND qt4/5 "just to be safe"

Once you've installed it once you've installed it a thousand times.
The basic kernel config will also run on most systems, and after youve compiled it once recompiling it is a maybe 1 minute affair unless you're adding a whole shitload of things at once.
I plopped it on my laptop and just periodically would think "oh I havent installed yet" and would google "gentoo " and almost always be brought to a wiki page telling me exactly what kernel options to enable. It's really not a hard distro to use.

Also this is nice for getting nicely specific CPUFLAGS wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/CPU_FLAGS_X86
Also also, if you want to use KDE or GNOME or something, compile and install a tiny WM first to get a usable system, like dwm or i3 or openbox or something. Let KDE/GNOME compile overnight, they're easily 6-8 hours. Same thing with browsers, just install the -bin version in the emerge tree or be prepared to wait 9 hours.

Would a 4 core/thread cpu(2200g) be worth it for gentoo?

To be fair they do say it
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Full/Installation#Updating_the_.40world_set
>If a full scale desktop environment profile has been selected this process could greatly extend the amount of time necessary for the install process

And it's not like that's a warning like all the others since it doesnt require additional work, its just a "btw lol that'll take forever"

dude I use a celeron with 1.60ghz
go nuts. just don't compile browsers or huge wms

Absolutely no problem on my 2400g. These things are monsters, despite them not being maximum gaymen. I can run the updates quickly in the background while I do other things and barely notice in most instances [only the packages that take up crazy amount of RAM... but even these only when swap is off].

PS: A SSD is still making things compile a lot faster, else even monster CPU have to wait quite a bit on IO.

This.

Thank you anons I might hop to Gentoo now.

Huge WMs shouldn't really be terribly problematic either.

It's mainly the browsers and some other shit that have an insane amount of code that both compiles inefficiently and also would prefer to have terribly much RAM in the process.

(cont'd)
BTW, you can grep for CHECKREQS_MEMORY (if you want, also CHECKREQS_DISK_BUILD, but that's not usually a huge issue with current SSD or HDD) in /usr/portage to figure out what fucks up.

It's browsers, electron, pypy3, rust, tensorflow... and that's about it. The WMs aren't actually particularly terrible on a current CPU.

Installing Gentoo is almost no different than installing Arch. The "installing Gentoo is hard" meme is complete bullshit.
If you've ever installed Arch, it shouldn't take you more than about 30min to install Gentoo for the first time (while skimming through the handbook installation section) if you exclude kernel configuration time and compile time.

Kernel configuration is the only significant difference between the Arch and Gentoo installation (besides waiting for stuff to compile).
It isn't hard per se, it's just that it can take a while to go through all those settings, especially if you're very meticulous and are trying to maximally minimize bloat in the kernel (could take you up to an hour or so maybe, idk) but once you've done it once, you'll always be able to reuse the config on that machine, making only minor changes once in a while if necessary.
You can use genkernel if you don't care to manually configure it though.

The Gentoo handbook at first glance may look long and intimidating, but, in reality, it explains everything in noob terms and holds your hand through the whole installation process as if you were a baby (and besides the installation section, it also includes sections about working with Gentoo, working with Portage and network configuration).
Here's pretty much the installation guide you get when you strip excess information from the handbook: wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Quick_Installation_Checklist
And even that has excess text in the form of example configs and command outputs. Get rid of those and you get something akin to the Arch installation guide.

Attached: 5d0c3269df51085c9f4afc2b172915b7.jpg (727x1024, 101K)

even including compile time, it takes me about 45 minutes. I'm factoring for installing:
>dwm
>dmenu
>rxvt-unicode
>emacs (+configs)
>ranger
>feh
>weechat (+slackpy)
>alsa (+alsamixer)
>mpv
>cmus
>neomutt
>zsh (+configs)
>wireshark
>zathura
>ibus (+mozc)
>Mumble
>screenfetch
>firefox
>ungoogled chromium (need it for remote college)
>ffmpeg
>simplescreenrecorder
>GIMP
>virtualbox
I'm probably missing a few things, but that's pretty much it.

tfw still compiling my desktop atm

Attached: file.png (2560x1410, 3.4M)

Here's pretty much the whole installation process:
>boot into a live GNU/Linux system
>partition your disk and mount partitions
>connect to the internet
>download the stage3 tarball (which contains your base system w/o the kernel)
>unpack it onto what will be your root partition
>chroot
>set hostname, locale, timezone, root passwd, write fstab
>pick profile, `emerge -uND @world`
>compile kernel, install grub
>exit chroot, reboot

If you're going to be configuring the kernel manually, I'll save you some trouble:
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Kernel
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel/Configuration
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel/Gentoo_Kernel_Configuration_Guide
Tools for hardwate detection:
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Hardware_detection
Look at the parts related to kernel configuration on these pages and make sure the options that need to be enabled are enabled:
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Xorg/Guide
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/HDD
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/USB/Guide
Same here, depending on your GPU:
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Intel
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Nouveau
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Radeon
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/AMDGPU
Wifi:
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Wifi
If you have more devices that require non generic drivers like a printer or wacom or something, look up the related page and enable the required kernel options as instructed.

Attached: [Doki] New Game! - 01v2 (1280x720 Hi10P BD AAC) [10CB48D4].mkv-0073.jpg (249x519, 25K)

can alsa change volume for different programs seperately?
does it just werk like pulse does?

post genlop -t firefox
and genlop -t gcc
please

You can just set the portage niceness to max and you woldnt even notice the update in the backgroung if not for the heat/fan noise.

you can also downscale the cpu frequency if it gets too hot

I installed Gentoo months before I installed Arch. It's not much of a challenge if you've installed gentoo.

20 mins.
80% of which is spent configuring the kernel.

the compile times are the only potential down side to gentoo compared to other distros tbqh desu, although it's not really much of an issue really
most packages don't take more than a minute or two to compile on current hardware
if you're installing a larger package with quite a few dependencies, just let it do it's thing and do something else while it installs, whatever it is, you almost definitely don't need to run it immediately, and if you do, it's your fault for not installing it earlier
like, if you're at uni and you need to turn in a pdf presentation in the next 30min and you don't have libreoffice on your thinkpad, that's your fault for being dumb (although you can get lo in binary form, but that's besides the point)
as for updates, just make sure to update once a week or two and it shouldn't take more than like 5-30min or so on average on an average machine (unless there's a lo update or something)
surely you can allocate like 30min on sundays or something for those updates (you can do them while you sleep, especially if it takes longer cause of older hardware)
the compile times shouldn't get in your way unless you're an idiot who can't manage his time in most basic ways or something
so I consider compile times to be a non issue basically
therefore I'd say gentoo only has advantages compared to other distros, so why would you use any other distro is beyond me

tl;dr: compile times are a non issue; stop making excuses and install gentoo faggot

Ford Model T is infinitely more complex to drive than any modern car.

>rxvt-unicode
why not st?
>feh
bloat and crap
sxiv does everything feh does better, and more, while being less bloat

I just have firefox-bin on my desktop, since I was just trying out something different. I'll post it this weekend, I should have time to rebuild. It's 12 seconds to get the binary, if you're curious. As for gcc, it wasn't showing up so I recompiled it.
Wed Dec 12 00:50:58 2018 >>> sys-devel/gcc-7.3.0-r3
merge time: 42 minutes and 6 seconds

That doesn't seem right. That's about the time it takes to build everything.
>rxvt-unicode
I'm just used to it, I haven't tried st yet.
>sxiv
I haven't heard of this. I'll check it out. I'm planning to recompile my t420. Although, I'm probably going to use Wayland so I'll try `imv` instead.

I'm considering getting a 2400g but was wondering if compiling utilises it's multithreading well. How long would firefox or other large programs take to compile with that beast of a CPU?

I get full utilization on 16 threads a lot of the time.

Just like Arch, which pretends to be simple but requires the most user intervention

Doesn't sixv use GTK? And it doesn't set backgrounds...

How long do updates take on it?

No, sxiv is one of those autistic suckless style apps. pqiv uses GTK.

From a current perspective, a graphical system is one of the "basics".

Simple doesn't equal easy to use, man.

USE flags put me off.

I am too much of an autist to decide what I need and don't.