What is the best language for writing a retro 2D platformer that works on modern OS?

What is the best language for writing a retro 2D platformer that works on modern OS?

So far I've considered C, C++, Forth, BASIC, Haskell, Python, Clojure, and of course ASM (x86). Out of these it seems C and C++ have the most libraries and strongest communities when it comes to gamedev.

Attached: 150px-Misty_SM.png (150x375, 67K)

Other urls found in this thread:

stabyourself.net/mari0/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

C++, C# or Lua

Php

Just do it in Lua and save yourself the pain of the others

Just use unity if you want to make a game and not fuck around with APIs all day.

Just use Unity, man. You'll make a 2d platformer in minutes.

lua is painful in its own way

>unity
I dont want to bloat my computer with 24gb when I only need a few mb.

I would do it in C++ just for the wankery to write an engine myself. Otherwise I love what this guy did in lua and löve2d:
stabyourself.net/mari0/

haxe

Love2D or Pygame if you just want to make a game.

SDL2 with C or C++ if you actually want to ship it.

Ignore every answer in this thread. Nobody has put in as much time into this as me.

Good options

Retard

And who are you?

Spent the last 20 years making retro 2d games and exploring new options every few months. I've tried everything out there.

Any proof? you could've made 20 years worth of garbage

love2D is a nice framework

What makes love2d not shippable in your opinion?

Literally anything.

CAPTAIN COMMANDO

Game engines, not languages make games sweety.
>Game maker
For the easiest beginner experience. Makes 2d games easy as fuck, don't have to reinvent the wheel. Better than unity for 2d and the kind of games people make in game maker.
>Unity
Unity is better at 3d, but still good enough for 2d. The whole mobile games industry uses unity. Best to learn for getting a job or participating in game jams.
>Unreal engine
Don't use this for 2d games lol
>Godot
I don't see the point of godot. It just seems like a less featured unity to me. Your time will be better spent learning unity.
>.t Game Developer

Attached: 1536792710683.png (1920x1080, 451K)

Difficult to obfuscate the source code. When you bundle the exe, you can literally unzip it again and just look inside.

Are you retarded or 14?
It's a fucking 2d platformer you can make it in anything. Just use game maker or unity like everyone else you pleb.

Attached: images (13).jpg (296x170, 8K)