Why do shindows users talk about their files being in KB? What the fuck is that? Kelvin bytes...

why do shindows users talk about their files being in KB? What the fuck is that? Kelvin bytes? KiB is how it's written properly.
I hear something about "1000MB" and that just seems silly to me, why would you use powers of 10 when talking about file sizes? People don't actually do this, do they?

Attached: 1522632088144.png (256x256, 92K)

1 byte isn't necessarily 1 bit. It really means however many bits you use for encoding a single character. And word sizes differ across hardware too. However, we can still use SI prefixes. Letting 'b' denote byte

1b = 1 byte
1hb = 10^2 bytes
1kb = 10^3 bytes
1mb = 10^6 bytes
1gb = 10^9 bytes

Then there are the faggots who 1024 bytes is one 1kb because it's the nearest power of two. Thats like equating the number of possibilities, i.e. 2^10, with how many bits or bytes you have its complete retardation. That system is nonsense and shows how unscientific computer "science" can be.

b for bit
B for byte
KiB for 1024 bytes
KB for 1000 bytes
Kib for 1024 bits
Kb for 1000 bits

Attached: Irelia-Original-Skin.jpg (1215x717, 259K)

KB =! KiB

No bump or (You).

announcing sages is against the rules

>k
That's a rare sight. Most people ignore the symbol for kilo being lowercase.

Then again you fucked up with m and g (m being especially bad since it stands for milli).

thats true

>1024 bytes = 1 kilobyte
Repeating anything else means you're a literal NPC. Not jokingly, you're a actual NPC.
>1 byte isn't necessarily 1 bit. It really means however many bits you use for encoding a single character.
You're legally retarded.

it doesnt, on several architectures you had 6bit bytes.

On several non-common barely used architectures that aren't relevant to normal or general discussion of computer terminology. Little/big endian is more relevant.

FROSTY CHOCOLATE MILKSHAKES

>KB? What the fuck is that?
It's a kilobyte. As in 1024 bytes.
>b-but kilo in SI is 10^3 and its symbol is lowercase k
Byte is not an SI unit. JEDEC memory standards specify kilo as a multiplier equal to 2^10 and denoted with uppercase K.
>b-but that's confusing
It was universally accepted in computer science, semiconductor industry, consumer electronics and home computing until some HDD manufacturers deliberately decided to shit on the convention in order to jew people out of their shekels.
>b-but we have the IEC kibi/mebi/gibi prefixes now. Why not use them?
Because they sound fucking retarded.

HTH.

Attached: spedepasanen.jpg (600x683, 32K)

>Because they sound fucking retarded.
I was worried this business of using the same prefix (kilo) to refer to two different quantities (1000 & 1024) was a confusing mess, but now I see that the alternative is sounding silly. Thanks for looking after what's important.

>until some HDD manufacturers deliberately decided to shit on the convention
Weren't those binary prefixes first proposed by some chemists?

Promoting falsehoods and being a general idiot?
Do you call HDDs HDD or DASD? Just checking.

announcing your a virgin is gay
reported

Shit bait

Attached: 1460748485962.jpg (552x525, 16K)

Use the proper capitalizations you brainlet.

Attached: 1542215772962.jpg (601x601, 27K)

>not exclusively using niggabytes

Attached: 1505494421339.png (693x448, 252K)

>why would you use powers of 10 when talking about file sizes?

It stems from an old jewish trick everyone used when advertising the capacity of their hard disk products. By using Mega/Giga/Terabytes (base10) instead of Mebi/Gibi/Tebibytes they make it look like the product has more useful capacity then it actually does.

Because they cant transport over 4gb. Yes ntfs is a mistake

Works on my machine.

Attached: w10.png (592x24, 2K)

>Kelvin Bytes
t. uneducated brainlet
different units have a space between them, magnitudes are directly prefixed
kilo should be a lowercase k

Not to mention b instead of B, and the fucking rest of his post.

kilo is an SI prefix and that's what matters. It's equivalent to saying "a dozen bytes is 16 bytes", that's just confusing for everyone. SI units are used because they cancel in equations. Say I have 18 kB I need to store and a storage medium with a (inverse) density of 24µg/B. By multiplying the density by the amount of data I obtain the required mass: 432mg. SI is designed for scientists, so either use it like a scientist or fuck off.

you're an actual retard for saying that.
1024 bytes is a kibibyte (kiB).
1000 bytes is a kilobyte (kB).
you shouldn't chastise people unless you know what you're talking about.

>Because they cant transport over 4gb.
>ntfs
Nah that's Fat32

this bibi byte crap is for autists

>I was worried this business of using the same prefix (kilo) to refer to two different quantities (1000 & 1024) was a confusing mess,
In context, it's not confusing at all, unless you're just flat retarded.

>but now I see that the alternative is sounding silly.
well, if you want a term to be accepted, people have to want to use it
Richard Stallman faces this issue a lot because he picks really fucking shit names for things and no one wants to use them.
no one's particularly against the idea of changing from kilo/mega/giga (which, in a non-memory context, definitively refer to x1000 increases), but their replacements (kibi/mebi/gibi) are sufficiently awful that no one wants to say them
although the replacement binary prefixes have been standardized, they're almost never used in industry

based and repilled

You hear this a lot: "A thread died for this." While accurate, this phrase generally carries no weight. But just this once, if you would do me a favor and hear me out, it would do all of us a lot of good.

A. Thread. Died. For this. You woke up this morning, poured yourself a bowl of Faggot Flakes, moistened them with your impotent Faggot prostate milk (which IS in fact impotent, because you're a fucking faggot) and, within seconds, decided that today of all days would be the time you decide to cut your synapse firing quota by just a little too much.

So you hopped online, carved out this uninspired chicken scratch, probably failed the captcha once for every strand of peach fuzz on your half-empty sack, and clicked Submit.

At that moment, a thread died. A thread that could have been bumped. A thread that could have been resurrected with content, or valuable discourse between its denizens. Hell, it could've even been bumped for absolutely no reason. And that would've been okay. Because, had it survived, a few more seconds could have been spent without having had your abortion of a post been born in this world.

Thanks for the pasta
(saged just so you don't yell at me for bumping)