XMPP general

>What is XMPP?
Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP) is a communication protocol for message-oriented middleware.
Unlike most instant messaging protocols, XMPP is defined in an open standard and uses an open systems approach of development and application, by which anyone may implement an XMPP service and interoperate with other organizations' implementations. Because XMPP is an open protocol, implementations can be developed using any software license and many server, client, and library implementations are distributed as free and open-source software.

>What client should I use?
Get Conversations if you are on Android, Gajim or Pidgin on desktop PC.

>How do I join this Jow Forums groupchat?
Here is the link: [email protected]

Attached: xmpp.png (220x226, 14K)

Other urls found in this thread:

compliance.conversations.im/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_XMPP_server_software
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Uhh no thanks I'll stick to discord gramps.

>I will keep sucking dicks grandpa, pussy is so 2017

Conversations cucks you into a paid service. Pix-Art is better.

I've installed it from f-droid and never saw something like that. Donated 100 bucks anyway as it is great software.

>Conversations cucks you into a paid service.
Works fine with my old XMPP server and the new one that got OMEMO. I don't really see a noteworthy issue.

Not that I got anything against Pix-Art either. Forks are good for software health.

"Create an account" button makes an account on their pay to use servers. It's free for 6 months but after that you have to pay. This is retarded, scummy and not user friendly at all. You have to actually click on "use my own provider" to make an account elsewhere, but the button implies (to new users) that you already have an account and doesn't make it clear what the hell is happening. It's extremely retarded and unintuitive. Had I not actually clicked on it AFTER reinstalling the app and MANUALLY trying to see what the hell the button does I wouldn't even know that you can use Conversations or XMPP at all without paying.
Pix-Art just doesn't have this issue.

> "Create an account"
> implies (to new users) that you already have an account
I REALLY parse that differently. It does not imply that you have an account, it implies that you could create an account.

> You have to actually click on "use my own provider" to make an account elsewhere
You do realize this here isn't Facebook, right?
This may not be a congregation of geniuses, but I don't expect people here to be too retarded for something this simple.

Read again, I said that "use my own provider" implies you already have an account. But if you click it you have an option to make an account. But then, you don't at least have a choice for some well known providers. This is what makes conversations unfriendly to new users. Everyone is going to just see "hey you'll have to pay for this in a few months" and uninstall the app and give up on XMPP.
>don't expect people here
>here
If you want XMPP to be used you shouldn't limit yourself to Jow Forums. It's being shilled as a protocol to replace almost all others yet you expect it to not replace facebook messenger/WhatsApp, for example. Muh secret club attitude doesn't make sense especially when XMPP is shilled constantly.
I'm just saying Pix-Art did this MUCH better and is more welcoming to new users. Conversations has the same scummy approach a big corporation like Microsoft/Apple/Adobe would.

>"use my own provider" implies you already have an account
No, it implies that you can use your own provider if you click that. As someone who understands what that means terminology-wise, at worst you'd go and register elsewhere first, missing the oh so important opportunity to do it with some follow-up button there. No big deal.

> If you want XMPP to be used you shouldn't limit yourself to Jow Forums.
If you want to talk to not Jow Forums under the assumption that nobody will understand what "your own provider" means, really better do it there rather than here?

Has anyone created an iOS client that push notifications work properly on yet? I have one iOS person I *must* be able to properly interact with, and last I tried the notifications wouldn't work unless the client was actually running.

It doesn't clearly give you an option to register free (forever) nor does it tell you that there are free options. That's the whole point. Stop defending garbage. Pix-Art is superior, period.

Seriously. It literally says "use my own provider".

Why the fuck would it need to additionally point out that these other providers actually exist or that some of them could be free? Jow Forums is not THAT offensively retarded, I suggest you save that concern for Facebook.

Xmpp is used by criminals mostly so no thanks I'm not getting on the watch list.

http is also used by criminals

What's the best server for xmpp?
Linux server of course

> used by criminals mostly
Wat. No?!

But imagine being on this site with its serial copyright infringement all over the place. Almost nobody got licenses for the images they post. You're surely already on every watch list.

In terms of server software, ejabberd is my favourite but prosody is also good.
If you mean active servers that are being hosted, yourdata.forsale is comfy.

Whoops meant to reply to

ejabberd

Reason is features:
compliance.conversations.im/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_XMPP_server_software

Alright I was reading prosody yesterday but 2 votes for ejabberd I'll have to read their docs as well. Thanks

Yes, unlicensed images are surely at the top of the list of things that would get 4C users put on a watch list.

Attached: 1544732002809.jpg (1482x2048, 213K)

Prosody might be the second best option. Not at all a terrible idea either.

Yes, it's probably worse than insulting god or talking to unmarried women or whatever those criminals do on XMPP.

[Holy shit, imagine being on a watchlist because of XMPP usage... at that point you're probably in a nation that will record you regardless of watchlists or not.]

It doesn't give you an option of selecting the provider like Pix-Art does. It implies you've already made an account elsewhere or at least know that you should.
>Jow Forums is not THAT offensively retarded
This isn't the fucking point. Anyone who doesn't know what XMPP is and just has it as a recommendation as an IM app will not fucking know how to register through Conv. unless they also manually do some research. So you can't just tell your mother "hey install Conv. so we can talk" and expect her to use this.
I had this issue and I'm from Jow Forums. I had no idea why the fuck is Conv. not free of charge nor did I know that there existed free options since XMPP autist always responded "just host it yourself". They deliberately make a shiny button without explaining anything or giving you an option to register to another service listed IN THE APP like Pix-Art does. I had no idea it's basically like email and it doesn't matter who your "provider" is.
If you're going to reply with "hurr it's just you who's dumb" then don't bother replying. It's a fact that Conv. is shit out of the box unless your hand is held.

Yea read through the github docs, ejabberd looks real nice.

Pix Art and conversations are both on F-Droid.
I haven't used either but knowing that, neither can "cuck" you into anything. Conversations looks to get way more updates as well, so that'll be what I will try using first.

> you can't just tell your mother
I think you're not talking to your mom, you're not on Facebook, and you don't need to explain that you can't talk to Instagram and WhatsApp contacts inside Conversations.

Asserting that anyone on Jow Forums is cucked into a paid server because they can't see the extremely obvious button to connect to another server is just retarded.

If it bothers you because you think you can't possibly be retarded if you were confused by that button and that surely everyone is because that's a far more flattering idea, you'd simply be wrong.

> since XMPP autist always responded "just host it yourself"
If you believed that and didn't have the mental presence to somehow check if you could use someone else's server anyhow, you'd simply have hosted your server. No loss either.

>I think you're not talking to your mom
>Jow Forums is cucked
I'm not using this to talk to people on Jow Forums. It's an IM alternative, I'm moving "my mom"/normies to it. If I were to tell them to use Conversations it'd take another step explaining "you have to manually type name@whateverprovider", which is dumb.

>Conversations looks to get way more updates as well, so that'll be what I will try using first.
You then have to manually research what providers exist because, unlike Pix-Art, they don't give you an immediate option to use anything but their paid service.

>XMPP
No thanks, I'll use Matrix

>What is XMPP?
Some bullcrap that on one uses.

>Why is this thread posted every other day?
OP is a faggot.

Great contribution to the thread, faggot.

OI U GOT A LOISCNE FOH AT IMAGE?

Attached: image.jpg (860x483, 73K)