/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Stupid question thread. Permanent fuckup edition.
Ask your stupid questions here.

Previous thread
(Cross-thread)

>Read
(Cross-thread) (Cross-thread)

>GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Programming questions?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>How to activate any version of windows?
>Where can I get Win 7 or LTSB?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4 (embed) (embed)
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j (embed) (embed)
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt (embed) (embed)
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7 (embed) (embed)

Attached: 1532354904483.png (500x443, 230K)

Other urls found in this thread:

allneeds.com.au/allneeds-versa-h13-workhorse
ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-formats.html#image2-1
ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-formats.html#image2-2
github.com/JulianChow94/Windows-screenFetch
xarql.com/polr
m.youtube.com/watch?v=gP1ign3ygzw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What are some generally useful Android apps?

Is the Rx 580 really the best card for 1080p?

No, but GTX 1050Ti is.

i need an cheap laptop for android programming, anyone have a clue?

>(Cross-thread)

Attached: 1544801047742.png (500x443, 222K)

(You) (You)
>Putting effort into posts

Attached: 005.jpg (3000x4193, 3.08M)

Why the audio on my windows 10 guest os is completely fucked up

Why CentOS?
Why not ANYTHING ELSE?

do any ereaders still include a SD card slot?

allneeds.com.au/allneeds-versa-h13-workhorse my current piece of shit computer is about to melt down and I need to get something relatively cheap. I'm not expecting to run everything in 1920x1080, would be happy just to be able to run basic bitch games like Civilization 6. How is this for a super budget gaming PC? I'm not building because my hands don't work good with anything that requires any amount of care.

How do I remove lines from a text file which contain a specific string? Tried using sed but it keeps returning an identical file or an empty one. Let's say I have:
>website1 www.Jow Forums.com, some text
>website2 google.com, some text
>website3 kernel.org, some text
And I wanted to remove the "website2 google.com, some text" line by just using "google" as a string.

I just tested my new GPU again after i switched to the older monitor (using a hdmi-vga adapter) and right in the middle of it the sound started looping/whole PC crashed but instead of a bluescreen the monitor just lost the signal. Also the CPU LED on my motherboard started lighting up. GPU LED's were still on though...

What could have caused this, the adapter or monitor? When i tested and played a couple rounds with the newer monitor everything was fine and dandy, no crashed or signal losses. I wanted to return that fucker asap, should i hold off until this is sorted out?

Unfortunately WhoCrashed said no dump had been created either

Oh and the adapter is an active one, it's chink-manufacted but had a ton of good reviews. Should i try switching the adapter or what?

God maybe i should just get a completely new LCD monitor

AdAway - blocks ads globally via hosts file

VPN Hotspot - lets you use your phone as a repeater (have WiFi turned on and share it). Shares your VPN/Orbot/Blokada/AdAway which means you can have all adblocking done on your phone (like a PiHole), or use it to connect another device to Tor, or use it to share WiFi if your other devices can't or shouldn't directly connect to the WiFi network. Supports USB and Bluetooth tethering.

Wifi Key View - views and shares WiFi passwords. Useful since most android ROMs don't have this option (afaik only MIUI does)

andOTP - open source OTP app

EtchDroid - lets you make Linux live USBs on your phone

USB Mountr - use your phone as a live USB

KDE Connect - integrates your phone with your desktop, much better on KDE but it's still useful on other DEs

oandbackup - backs up all app data of an app

other useful shit:
Amaze - non-bloated file manager with useful features and a good/non-bloated UI
ZArchiver - opens most archive formats
Barcode Scanner - scans barcodes
Silence - SMS app with encryption support
Blokada - blocks ads using a virtual DNS, alternative to AdAway if you're not rooted
SkyTube / NewPipe - youtube app without ads, can download videos and music (NP)
tPacketCapture - network monitor similar to wireshark

1. How large of a screen can I go with 1080p before the picture looks stretched and shitty?

2. What's the term for a monitor without an anti-glare screen? If I search for glossy screen, I just get search results for glossy black bezels

Alright so there's definitely something wrong with the active adapter it looks like, it just crashed on me for the second time in a row just as the round was closing for no actual reason. What a fucking shame, i was looking forward to use my old monitor in combination with the new GPU thanks to this thing but it was not meant to be apparently

I will most likely switch back to the newer monitor for now so as to be able to keep playing games and whatnot at least without it crashing on me.

If i'm *really* darn lucky i'll be able to scoop up a similar comfy LCD monitor somewhere else which has a port that's directly compatible with my new GPU and without the need for any active adaptors and shit

Attached: 1510059605161.jpg (476x474, 27K)

Never mind, whoever sent me the file had some shit formatting. It works now.

anyone know if this gtx 760 oc is a 2gb or 4gb?
a low iq retard is selling it online but he's too dumb to check despite me telling him exactly what to do over the phone

Attached: Capture.png (933x514, 613K)

What's the best method to upscale small anime videos? Is there any tool like waifu2x but for videos?

How can I find the original url of an image with a tumblr filename? So that I can get the highest quality version?

It seems like the urls have 2 hashes and the filename contains only one.

Just use waifu2x on every frame.

Any tips to troubleshoot Micro SD card issues?
>during transfering files from SD card to phone
>screen went sleep
>Now SD card have corrupted files
What do I do?
I can read the rest of the files, didn't try writing to it.
Do I just format it? or so I need to zero it out?

Attached: 1544670406809.jpg (771x1170, 94K)

and exactly how the fuck do you do that

Kinda hard to tell since the 2/4gb look identical.

I accidentally broke up my laptop's power button, is there a way i can turn it on?

Attached: fuck.png (633x758, 16K)

I just started using chrome remote desktop to access my desktop from my laptop, and I was wondering if it's possible to play audio from my desktop without unmuting it, through my laptop.

Attached: sIyH8.jpg (674x800, 123K)

In dire need of a new pair of speakers for my pc, but I only got at most £70 to drop on a pair. Any recommendations? I got a cambridge audio A1 amp as well if that helps

I have an old netbook(eeepc 1005HA 1gb ram), can I install Ubuntu onto an 8gb SD card and boot it from there?
If so, what distro should I use?
Regardless of distro, any USB version will do, or since it's from SD I'd need a different one?

>Inb4 install on hdd
I need to keep the current winxp installation for various reasons

Do RAM sticks need to be the same brand? Also, if I have 8gb RAM installed, can I install 4 more GB to have 12gb RAM?

Hotwire it like a car

>have 2 computers
>computer a has a fully encrypted hdd with a windows 10 installation that wont boot up and give me constant bsods
>computer b has a single ssd with windows 7 on it
>i want to take out the hdd of computer a and decrypt it on computer b and from then on use it as a second disk or at least recover my current files on it
is this possible? if so, how? please i really would like to access those files.

how can i do that without disassembling it?

Put two wires on the motherboard and put the other two ends in a wall outlet.This should give it a nice jumpstart.

Use puppy linux.
Create VM of the WinXP.

Im leaving that to myself bacause i need that laptop working by the end of the day

If you're suggesting to create a VM for XP, I assume you're also suggesting installing puppy linux in the HDD, but as I said, I can't do that.
I dont need XP just in general, I need the current XP installation that is already on the netbook, with all the currently installed programs and files on it.

Is trend micro a good anti virus? Should I get it or just use Windows defender?

>I assume you're also suggesting installing puppy linux in the HDD
You assumed wrong, just burn puppy to USB flash drive/ SD card.
Puppy linux is optimized to be low on resources, nearly the whole OS can be put on RAM, that way it will not affect the lifespan of the SD card/USB flash drive.
You can backup your HDD completely to .IMG or .ISO, and use QEMU to boot it directly.
Or just use QEMU to boot the WinXP on the HDD.
Or simply just unplug the sd card/USB flash drive to boot your windows.

>You assumed wrong, just burn puppy to USB flash drive/ SD card
My bad then, but are you suggesting to run it live from the SD, or to install it full on the SD?

I've got a music library on an external drive with songs organized by album/compilation. Most of these are in mp3, but a lot of them are WMA and WAV. Like, 20k.
How would I go about batch-converting and replacing all the non-mp3 songs into the same folders?

Speed is more of a concern than quality here, as it's not for me.

Attached: 1492739545604.jpg (358x358, 14K)

Where did the topics of Jow Forums's boards come from? Not sure where to post this.

What was the name of the browser addon that sends audio-captchas to Google to read to itself?
I need the Chrome version.

I AM ANGRY, ANGRY ABOUT SOFTWARE
whatever I use it gives me aids and cancer and Im not smart enough to run archlinux.
recommend what OS to use, and keep in mind I want to play some videogames.
it was all practical jokes by moot.
except /a/ ofcourse.

That's the beauty of puppy, puppy saves your changes to SFS file, that way each new boot is a live session until you mount the SFS, which can be done automatically at boot.
So no real difference.
I recommended puppy because it's the most optimized for the low spec hardwares, running from RAM, and better handling of USB flash drive/sd card booting, and comes with different DEs like xfces and KDE.
There are other distro like SLAX as well.

when you ctrl-f in firefox is there any hotkey to go to next matched phrase or do i have to drag my mouse to the arrow?

Enter will work.

i have an i5 6500 and a gtx 460. would i experience cpu bound playing games?

this is the worst general on all of Jow Forums. i'll go find out myself

What would I need to run on my powershell in order to get pic related output.

Attached: Crop from Desktop thread.png (735x397, 279K)

To extract all frames from a video
ffmpeg -i input.video %05d.png

%05d.png -> 00001.png, 00002.png, ...
%03d.png -> 001.png, 002.png, ...
%d.png -> 1.png, 2.png, ...

You can also use the fps filter (e.g. -vf fps=24) if you want to extract a lesser frame rate.
Then run waifu2x on all those images.
To reassemble the video (on Linux)
ffmpeg -framerate -pattern_type glob -i "*.png" [...] output.video
-pattern_type glob isn't available on Windows, so you have to use
ffmpeg -framerate -pattern_type sequence -i %05d.png [...] output.video
instead. In your case this shouldn't be a problem, but be sure the sequence doesn't get interrupted at any point (e.g. 01144.png, 01145.png, 01147.png, ...). ffmpeg will stop encoding when this happens.

For more information see the image2 (de)muxer documentation.
ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-formats.html#image2-1
ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-formats.html#image2-2

github.com/JulianChow94/Windows-screenFetch

FFmpeg or LAME directly. Use a script to loop through and convert all WMAs/WAVs. Audio encoding is already pretty fast and therefore doesn't offer multithreading capabilities, but if you want the extra edge you could let several instances of the script run on different parts of the library.

You're more likely to be GPU bound.

is there a light utility to set a gif as the wallpaper on linux? this shouldn't be hard; but i can't seem to find something i can use.

rm - r
a dir while inside
still displays me in it
cd ..
out and its gone
is this philosophy?

Where can I get win 10 enterprise ISOs? Is this actually different from LTSC ISOs?

What kind of [spoiler]games[/spoiler] can I run on a pentium 4 laptop with integrated graphics?

how did you even get that combination?

>used laptop from amazon emits strong smell of cigarette smoke
>disassemble and clean
>still smells bad

Only going factory refurbished from now on.

2d games are better than 3d anyway
step one should be to emulate symphony of the night

how much power does a modern desktop (skylake i5, gtx 970) consume in idle? i have a full fanless setup and i usually just leave it on all the time.

Might not be the right place to ask, but has anyone used the Delivery Manager for FedEx? I ordered my kid a switch for christmas and immediately realized the package would be waiting outside in plain sight (and his sight) before I get back from work. I updated my (global) delivery notes to request that the deliverer hide packages under my steps (there doesn't seem to be a way to make notes on a per-package basis), but since the package already started shipping, I'm not sure if they'll have the correct instructions. Based on how I think the system would work, I'm 95% sure that everything will be fine, but I really don't want to be the one to kill the christmas spirit.

Attached: package.jpg (970x546, 120K)

Use GPU-Z and check the info it spits out. As long as nobody fucked with the bios to screw you, it'll tell you exactly what it's got.

Where did you order it from? If it's Amazon, it should just be a generic box that could be anything. Unless your kid is just allowed to open whatever, you should be fine.

Thank you. I'm out of practice with ffmpeg but I'll be sure to try it next time I have to do this.
Cowardice won out, and I ended up using the dbpoweramp trial for now.
Estimated completion time: 18 hours. I'm sorry.

Attached: 1502045024980.jpg (480x542, 37K)

Speaking of audio encoding: is there a way to multi-thread metaflac's replaygain calculation (including album mode), or is there an alternative multithreaded solution that will give identical results to it? Working with varying bit-depths and samplerates in a single album is a bonus.

Attached: RG_Equal_loudness_all[1].gif (560x420, 8K)

(I'm writing a script so manual parallelization and such is fine)

Did you go to community college? If so, did you pursue a field of study or did you just do the core curriculum?
I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it to go to a cc farther away from home/work to complete the official field of study before transferring.

Anonymous Forum : xarql.com/polr

shit wrong thread

Hey Jow Forums, rsq (Really Stupid Question) over here.
I want to freelance but i dont want to feed botnets with my data.
What choices do i have?

I had to reinstall my OS because I replaced my OS drive. My last Windows had multimedia content including codecs and such from 2016 november.

Now that I installed current ones, regardless of the player software whenever I click on my seek bar, the picture just falls apart and becomes this pixelated hot mess, until all parts of the picture switch to a completely different color, so basically until a full redraw is necessary.

How do I make this go away? I haven't had this issue in like 10 years.

Interacting with people in real life

In order, I have:
>ubuntu install
>free space
>data partition
Is there a way to resize/extend the data partition "to the left" quickly/easily without backing up?
gparted live?

What's the best video editing software for linux?

Avidemux or FFmpeg for simple, Blender for complicated tasks. Script based video editing might also be an option.
Everything else based on the MLT framework is usually very unstable and buggy.

DaVinci Resolve, but only on Fedora.

This is a great idea, I wonder how long it would take with GPU-accelerated waifu2x.

Thanks for the suggestions
I heard that Resolve was the high-end video editing software they use in Hollywood. Any reason why you say only on fedora?

Because it was built to work on CentOS/Fedora/SUSE. It's very unstable on debian and arch distributions.

GENTLEMEN

NEED SERIOUS HELP

Got an ipad air form my highly secure work place a year or 2 ago.
i just opened it for the first time in years and have mobile data and wifi off.

i have just done a factory reset..

is there any way they will they be able to know that i opened and did all of this once i connect to wifi?

Where should I put my speaker wires if I am just using a left and right speaker?

Attached: IMG_20181214_180604424.jpg (4032x3024, 3.93M)

quick question what do linuxmen use as an alternative to mpc-hc?

>iPad
Lol theyre obviously not that secure, are they?

I need to delivery power to this proprietary as fuck motherboard. I am armed only with a multimeter that I dont know how to use. Help

Attached: image.jpg (4032x3024, 3.48M)

can ya help me bud?

can they track a wiped ipad?

Is it normal for maggots to inhabit an open wound that i've had for a few months now

How did you wipe it?

first row

How about showing us the point where it receives power first retard

That board looks to be from a blade server. It pulls system signals and some clocks from the enclosure. You're not going to be able to boot it just by feeding power to it, it needs the enclosure.

well, I was worried id have to log into their system to access the ipad.
Turns out the ipad itself has its own password, so I logged in without mobile data or wifi on.

then went straight to settings and factory reset

also make sure polarity is equal for each speaker

Somewhere around here
What if I have the power supply it uses? Ive seen videos of people booting this exact blade outside of the enclosure, so I know its possible

Attached: image.jpg (4032x3024, 2.39M)

Do post the videos, genuinely interested.
Also. there's no way those dinky-ass wires are going to feed such a power hungry device. The losses are going to be colossal.
>What if I have the power supply it uses?
Why haven't you powered it up if you have the supply required to do so?

m.youtube.com/watch?v=gP1ign3ygzw
Those wires were all I had lying around, frankly I figured they would probably catch fire
The power supply cant hook directly up to the blade, I dont think
Those pads have to be shorted for it to turn on, please forgive the piss poor soldering job

Attached: image.jpg (4032x3024, 3.17M)

Like this? Polarity should be right. I guess my confusion is what the C is for. I thought it might be center but I don't understand why it wouldn't be color coded. And if L is left I'm supposed to wire the two ls vertically why wouldn't that be color coded

Attached: IMG_20181214_183300412.jpg (4032x3024, 3.35M)

does it make a difference if i install my os in a hd or ssd? which is the better option and why?
how about when it comes to games?

No idea what C stands for, but it says A and B on the right, so basically the thing seems to support two pairs of speakers and no centers.
Model?