Why is OpenBSD so damn slow...

Why is OpenBSD so damn slow? I've tried every speed up kernel option I can find online and it's still very slow compared to Arch. Opening a web page in Firefox is 3x slower than in Arch.

If it wasn't so slow I would ditch Arch in a heartbeat.

Attached: Openbsd.png (400x260, 13K)

Other urls found in this thread:

openbsd.org/faq/faq15.html
tedunangst.com/flak/post/firefox-vs-rthreads
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

OpenBSD is a CLI based OS.
That means you use it for a 24/7 appliance, not fucking facebook.

Botnet.

Linux has optimized syscalls and Firefox does just so fucking many of them.

>use server based security research os on desktop
> surprised when it's trash
I hate Jow Forums

>he expects an OpenBSD user to use facebook
lol

Or any other worthless, mindless crap people do on the internet. I thought that was implied.

>has its own fork of X
>ships with several WMs
>used by developers as a desktop OS
>not a desktop OS

Attached: 1475599486481.png (145x103, 24K)

Oh fuck off, it has a barely functioning user interface that's just there for some easy settings change, it's like fucking using RHEL for gaming.

Works on my machine

I was able to get the default windows manager but I can't install Firefox. How do I get Firefox I'm a brainlet

openbsd.org/faq/faq15.html
doas pkg_add firefox

>he somehow expects OpenBSD users to be normies browsing 9gag
I'm not even on OpenBSD, but WEW

you mean like spouting nonsense on 4channel, instead of studying/coding/working? indeed

>studying/coding
Lmao.
>working
I can spout nonsense while working.

Any OS that can only do 5 things? Compile code, produce music, produce graphics, play games and shitpost on Jow Forums? I literally dont need anything else.

If you want BSD that doesn’t suck use MacOS

I just dropped OS X because I wanted BSD that doesn't suck

Because security takes priority over speed for them.

>I can spout nonsense while working.
as evidenced ITT

Attached: 100% SMUG.jpg (250x230, 7K)

>OpenBSD disabled hyper-threading because it is a security vulnerability
Ideally, OpenBSD should be used on a Pentium III to edit text files in ed and SSH into Linux servers.

>ed
>not mg

Pretty much this tedunangst.com/flak/post/firefox-vs-rthreads

Also autism to not fix the OS and blame software

>Some other operating systems use a feature called vDSO to short circuit certain system calls, notably gettimeofday. Support for vDSO has never been popular in OpenBSD because of concerns about negative security implications. And there was the somewhat ideological stand that if a system call is too expensive, maybe you should fix your program to behave better.

>has its own fork of X
Nope their Xorg buildsystem is just called Xenocara

If the "fix" involves a potential security vulnerability it's not going to be implemented in a security-oriented operating system, period. While this may be a fix on performance oriented operating systems, it's a future repair on a security oriented one.

>Why is OpenBSD so damn slow?
because it is retro shit from 80s. pkg add slow as shit.

There is no fix firefox in OpenBSD just switch to Chromium or Iridium and use --enable-unveil. Atleast now your cryptokeys and buttcoins whatnot are safe from browser exploit

I'd rather just use a slower Firefox

I am not firefox is a fucking dumpsterfire. I switched to iridium when I saw it was unveiled. Used firefox since it was called phoenix. RIPS in pieces firefox

I switched back to Firefox just in time for it to seemingly die. I rode Opera's death out for 5 years, I hope I don't have to do that again

Hyperthreading does not necessarily increase performance significally. Other than that some "modern" Celeron don't have hyperthreading

Devs are incompetent. Their filesystem doesn't even have trim because they can't decide what's the best way to implement it.

You realize you can actually use it exactly for that. You can watch jewtube and movies. It's very well capable of being a desktop OS if you are willing to ignore certain things or you theme heavily. It's a pretty great OS in terms of maintainability. Personally i only dislike the package manager. Its verbosity is horrible, etc.

Other than that it's pretty ok. Just not something for the average Joe for sure.

Windows 7

Attached: sips.jpg (268x188, 9K)

OpenBSD: security > performance. Admittedly, it's comparatively slower than Linux such as when watching videos and browsing. If you do not like it then whatever.

Posting this for the anti-bsd user who doesn't appear to be around tonight:
Reminder that OpenBSD is lacking the following things:
>A robust filesystem such as ZFS, btrfs, or HAMMER2
>Any kind of journaling FS
>SSD TRIM
>NFSv4
>Support for more than one core on various parts of the OS. The firewall, pf, is confirmed to be one of these parts, although there may be more.
>802.11ac networking
>Nvidia graphics from this decade
>AMD Vega graphics
>Certain Intel graphics, at least judging from comparing the manpage to the wikipedia article
>Broadcom wireless
>Bluetooth
>WINE
>LUKS/dm-crypt
>Linux compatibility layer
>Mounting ext filesystems
>free(1)
>lsblk(8)
>Proper virtualization (vmd/vmm is awful compared to KVM+QEMU or even Virtualbox)
>and probably more

Attached: 1544571193984.png (1000x1000, 168K)

The less you do, the more secure you are.

That's a shame. I guess I'll have to live with it.

Yeah but they don't prioritize it because nobody needs TRIM. Modern SSDs handle wear leveling in the firmware.

I think you're in the wrong place

>doas
No newb will have doas set up, dummy.

su -
pkg_add firefox
exit

my negro

1. works on my machine (it's a _mobile_ core2 ffs)
2. install it gentoo-style to gain some extra speed (at least build the kernel this way)

I'm not quite certain the FPU is available at boot time however: I accidentally compiled the second-stage loader with FPU instructions, caused it to hang

>lacking SSD TRIM
blame the leaders
netbsd and openbsd are still at each others throats to this day
>IDE and SCSI TRIM/UNMAP appeared upstream in 2012
>no ATI Vega
AMDGPU is imported from linux, and usually lags slightly. they're using the driver from Linux 4.9 iirc
>bluetooth
do you even USB, most are detected as ugen, the USB Composite Device driver (for the winfags)
>wine
yeah no isn't the NULL page trap _already_ in use
>linux call marshalling
unless you're tied to critical kernel interfaces, nearly everything compiles cleanly on not-Linux
>extended filesystem
should be a FUSE/PUFFS extension for that

Bump

>do you even USB, most are detected as ugen
Are you saying that Bluetooth devices detected as ugen will still work without the Bluetooth stack?

Get off my board.

Attached: 1543978169126.gif (208x160, 207K)

Why haven't you killed yourself yet?

$ su
# echo 'permit persist :wheel' > /etc/doas.conf

I love this simple newb filter so much

I wish persist worked on the Linux version of doas. Not having it makes it essentialy useless and I find myself doing doas su all the time.

I agree this is annoying but I think sudo is doing some kind of daemon/cron magic in order to persist privileges, and obviously openbsd has its own solution for doas that won't work on linux.

just use 'doas bash' or 'su -' if you want to run more than a few commands as root.

Attached: 4E940B3E82E04AB6B19224D934911F6E.jpg (2048x1415, 516K)

Performance usually comes at the cost of security. OpenBSD prioritizes the latter.

iirc even if you enable hyperthreading it actually hurts performance on openbsd

hyperthreading has unnoticeable performance impact
it's those full-flush syscalls mostly

kek
>report issue with cli character encoding
>official "fix" is to use x window server

>doing doas su

Attached: lunduke.jpg (213x237, 6K)

OpenBSD is based af.

Attached: abort_trap.png (598x114, 11K)

>pkg_info htop
>yell at guy listed at the bottom of the listing
non-Linux support has a few splinters

>protects you from UB
now that's based

was it with any additional allocator flags or default settings?

Not him but it crashes here and there with default settings for me

as it should since program does double free()