Vim or Emacs?

Linux noob here.
Which do I learn?

Attached: emacs-vs-vim2.jpg (569x400, 82K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/VSCodeVim/Vim.git
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Neither. Kakoune or VSCodium are the newest iteration of each mental illness.

Why are you comparing the two? vim is a good text editor; emacs is an operating system.

Hijacking thread.

A better question would be which has the better logo.

>emacs

Attached: 94fd010.png (282x300, 78K)

Spacemacs. All the benefits of Emacs plugins with built in Vim bindings.

The only thing going for Emacs is its logo.

vim might be better starting point, if I ever log to a server there is a good chance it has vim installed if I need to edit files, so if you are learning it more as a part of linux I'd definitely go there first, but if you are in for the whole editor experience and are looking for an alternative to something you already use emacs is the choice then

As someone who used emacs for years, I would advise you to start using vim for all text editing for a month or so. With all text editing, I mean everything, no exceptions.
If you start to like modal editing afterwards, stick with vim. If you still haven't wrapped your head around the concept or find it counter intuitive, go with emacs.
If you do like modal editing, but dont like the lack of extensibility of vim or simply want a more powerful editior, use some vim plugins with emacs or go with Spacemacs.
If you went with emacs, but still like the quick opening-closing vim mindset more than the do-everything-and-never-close-it emacs, start using an emacs server with clients

we already had this thread yesterday

Depends on whose configs you stole

I put a lot of effort into learning Vim
It's not for me, so I'm switching to Emacs
Try both and see what works best for you

Attached: 1544216753105.jpg (640x360, 22K)

emacs + evil mode

Emacs is way more work than Vim

both

Going God mode in either is going to take a lot of practice.
I'm switching to (graphical) Emacs became constantly switching between modes and navigation within visual lines is driving me mad.
I also just switched to Gentoo, so I'll be drowning out my loneliness this festive season by struggling to use an editor I don't know anything about on an operating system I don't understand.

Attached: 1543868315928.jpg (952x796, 344K)

Vim, but eventually you will realize emacs.

Use nano

This. They aren't even comparable. I already have an operating system so I'm not interested in emacs.

not producing shit code is more important than the editor you're using. you can have riced out emacs with the best configuration in the world but still produce unoptimized, buggy code

vim keybindings in emacs

Emacs user here. Start with Vim, it is simply an editor. Consider emacs when you want a full blown IDE for everything, all the time.

Vim is easier and more rewarding to begin with. Eventually you may find your way to Emacs, if you autism blooms.

Vim first, then emacs if you still aren't satisfied and want a meta-OS for your editor

Micro is the best one

Use whatever man. It really doesn't matter too much.
If you're developing a large application, it might make sense to use a full fledged text editor such as Atom or Sublime instead. (maybe even an IDE)
If you're building small scripts, or editing some config files, or just love being on the command line at all times, then emacs or vim is great.
If you're a system admin or devops learn vim for sure

the vim logo is miles better than emacs, so angular and defined. Bold and unafraid. It is what it is unabashedly, no need for fancy iconography

This is, unironically, the best way to do it. Vi is part of the POSIX standard and present on every Unix-compatible system, so even if you venture over to the Emacs camp later it's good to have at least a basic working knowledge of Vim/vi.

I only wanted a good open source gui code editor. But they are all lacking something. We are still stuck with those console based editors in 2018

youve been memed, its a total myth that vim and emacs have more powerful keybindings than Sublime or VS Code, seriously take the time to look up the hotkeys for Sublime and compare them with vim

kakoune

Ed

/gvim/

This, 90% of the time t b h

The worst part about learning vim is when you open another editor and your muscle memory doesn't work.

nano actually has a ton of hotkeys, not just the few listed at the bottom. if you look at the help page with ctrl-g and then page down with the space bar you will see a lot of hotkeys

Emacs if you spend more than 6 hours a day working in your text editor, otherwise vim.

I find Emacs to be easier to learn as a total noob, because you can use it just like you use any other editor, save for the different keyboard shortcuts. As soon as you learn some basic shortcuts like saving, opening a file, searching and switching buffers you're good to go and can learn from there onward as much as you see fit.

this

Emacs is a pretty cool OS though. Like a Lisp machine.

When you get a job they won't install anything on the servers. But vim is always there. Sets you ahead of the Indians who can't edit files because they can't vim.

cat

nano

If you use emacs you just edit over ssh, which is built in.

Kate is decent

If you stick long enough with Linux you'll end up learning both of them. I learned emacs first then vim second, I appreciate both editors, but tend to use emacs a lot more due to its modes and how it applies text editing principles to seemingly unrelated domains in interesting ways that makes you go `Ah! that's how this should be done'. Batch renaming thousands of files using ido-mode is a prime example. It also shines when doing anything that permits a REPL model of development or exploration like LISP/Python/R/SQL... I prefer vim for lightening fast text editing e.g. config files, throw away scripts...
A perk I have come to especially appreciate is how most software I use will have one or the other's keybindings available out of the box or through plugins and extensions, it is the case for zsh and ranger for example. For vim users the vimium and vimperator browser extensions make for a divine browsing experience.
Give the tutorial in each a go see how you like them.

Attached: 1200px-Visual_Studio_Code_1.18_icon.svg.png (1200x1195, 16K)

Kakoune

Vimfag here, curious about the benefits of moving to Emacs. Main thing I want to know, is RSI virtually a guarantee when using this as the main editor for work?
If so, fuck nah, not even slightly worth it.

is this true Jow Forums? have I been lied to?

vim to just enough do copy pasting and shit for simple scripting and editing

then switch to VS code. Don't let vim/emac stockholm syndrome faggots convince you otherwise

You seem nice

I use vim on the command line or vscode if I want an IDE

Honestly I think you should try both. Emacs and Vim are two different approaches to the same problem and it's up to you to decide which way to go. Nowadays I use vim for editing simple files and emacs for programming.

>haha look he uses two editors
it's faster to type "vi file" than "emacs -nw file"

Attached: 41QPnuBw2wL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (329x499, 26K)

Don't be autistic use nano

vim unless you don't care about your left pinky to burn from using ctrl all the time in everything you type for editor commands.

Just use spacemacs ergonimic keybindings.

Vim allows for fast editing. It's pretty neat but imo editing text is only a minor part of what a developper need. Having tools for compiling, searching in a project or auto completion is more important. For all those things, I find emacs more efficient than vim which is why I consider it a better editor.

alias e="emacs -nw"

checkmate, atheists

The one that doesn't need to emulate the other to be good.

Attached: 1449422877474.jpg (732x720, 116K)

SciTE

Attached: f161e3ba33e15a18164fdf5a23dc2d0a.png (150x150, 52K)

dont fall into this rabbit hole you will just keep doing autistic shit in these little things and ricing your config files all day. after a while you will realize you have lost all sight of the object for which you were learning these things. most likely programming. and except scripting and small task actual project development in languages like java is not possible in them. so stop wasting your time and just go learn the actual programming instead of learning a text editor, they are huge time sink.
unless of course you are already a good enough developer and not learning them for ""better productivity and efficiency for programming" then by all means go for it and also pick vim. emacs is shit

Attached: niggayoudontunderstand1468989769785.jpg (300x300, 24K)

is correct
is also correct
yes

dumb memers

I found emacs pretty overwhelming at first. Went to vim, way easier to make the switch from vim to emacs: vim is simpler, but a lot of the logical setups they do have a similar intuition in emacs even if the shortcuts are vastly different.

It depends how often you program. Honestly you can achieve the same productivity that the majority of emacs users have, with vim, in a shorter amount of time. unless you program 8h a day for your job you don't need it. At my job most people use vim, only my supervisor uses emacs and thats because he was a code monkey for the first 10 years of his career. He is undeniably the best of us, but he often said he feels like the amount of muscle memory he has for emacs is a waste of brain space haha.

Attached: résistance9.jpg (630x441, 76K)

Years ago I started learning vim
Then I heard about this fancy thing called Common LISP.
I tried setting up a REPL on vim but saw it was incredibly clunky
So I took a shot at SLIME on Emacs.
Eventually while configuring Emacs to be nice I got good at managing Emacs packages, started applying my newfound CL skills to ELISP, and trying to learn the keycombos to be more efficient
Years later I'm hooked. Often I don't even bother writing Common LISP when I feel like playing with it, I just write the code in ELISP
While I'm still not terribly efficient (I'm a lazy learner), I like its key combo idiom more than vim's modal editing.
Modal editing is probably more efficient, but Emacs style is way more extendable.
That's one of the biggest things about Emacs I like.
You can just keep adding packages, parts, and custom code and it never starts creaking under all the weight.
Also, it's fun to just keep little files of Emacs code littered around my filesystem. This is going to sound stupid, and it is, but whenever I run into one of them it kind of feels like getting a new gun in Super Metroid

none

Attached: harsh reality.png (1920x1080, 412K)

Do you want to help niggers in Uganda or use a decent program for editing text?

The second one!

do you value your pinky?
if yes, then use vim.
if no, then use emacs.

Can nano run org mode?

I literally installed spacemacs in ten minutes and can write in it using the mouse for navigation. Why should i use nano instead?

Both

Then decide which mode of editing text you prefer and master it

Vim. Vi is nearly ubiquitous across Linux, so your vim skills will be very portable. Vim offers additional conveniences to help you be productive, too. Just remember that Vim is very functional out of the box; you don't need tons of options in your vimrc, or tons of addons installed. Over time, you'll realize that most of these things are crutches that you will discard once you understand Vim anyway.

>supervisor uses emacs
Has he mentioned RSI? I knew one autismoid developer who used it at one place I worked at but he never mentioned RSI and I forgot to ask him.

Emacs tricked many with its nive looking logo.
To bad there's nothing good about it (despite LISP and OCD-mode), its quite bad.

don't use nano

Vim
I tried emacs once, it was obviously not designed for human fingers

but user it is already aliaced to emerge

>learning text editors
is this what linuxfags spend time on since they can't play no games?

>fucked pinky cause of emacs
>fucked thumb cause of hook grip from Jow Forums
what other hobbies to destroy my 3 other fingers?

SPACEMACS, christ

spacemacs is bloated as fuck. just make a nice config + evilmode. tired of spacemacs shilling when its honestly such a shit preset

>hurr durr get a girlfriend
imagine falling for this normalfag image

Well my laptop only has the left ctrl so I can't use emacs. I prefered vim anyway, I don't want to get carpal tunnel syndrome

I personally use Vim but then again I haven't even tried Emacs in 10 years so it may have improved somewhat since then.

>vim might be better starting point, if I ever log to a server there is a good chance it has vim installed if I need to edit files
But you know you are useless withour your .vimrc

VSCode + github.com/VSCodeVim/Vim.git

i think its definitely a risk if you dont use evil or another modification. vanilla emacs keybindings are really uncomfortable

Linux is the second best platform for video games you dumb manchild.