5G is a complete disaster of a joke and Ars Technica proves it

arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/12/dont-buy-a-5g-smartphone-at-least-not-for-a-while/

This is so far the best article I've read summing up just how bad the early adoption of 5G meme is going to be.

>5G modem and a single RF module takes up just as much space as the entire rest of the core phone components, minus the storage chip. For now, 4G has a clean, single chip design, while 5G is going to have these massive extra chips to deal with.
>MmWave's penetration is so poor you can easily block the signal with your hand, which is kind of a problem for a device that you constantly hold while you're using it
>5G might usher in the era of plastic-sided phones. I don't see any other way these side antennas can work.
>OnePlus CEO Pete Lau recently told The Verge that 5G would mean phones that are $200 to $300 more expensive. That's a pile of money for a phone that won't have the runtime or more compact size of a 4G phone.

...and more

Attached: 5G-Chip-Collection-2-640x329.jpg (640x329, 28K)

Other urls found in this thread:

networkworld.com/article/3305359/lan-wan/6g-will-achieve-terabits-per-second-speeds.html
anandtech.com/show/13676/moto-5g-mod-at-snapdragon-summit-lots-of-antennas-and-s855-inside
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>A mmWave signal can be blocked by buildings, trees, and even your hand. MmWave doesn't work well in the rain or fog, and the ~60GHz chunk of this spectrum can actually be absorbed by oxygen. That's right—a slice of mmWave spectrum can be blocked by the air.
>Moving to 5G means lots of hardware compromises over a 4G phone, so what do you get in return? The answer in 2019 is only "possibly faster Internet" depending on a whole host of variables, mostly having to do with your location. First, you need to be in a city that actually has 5G, then you need to be in a specific spot where you can actually receive a 5G signal, and then you have to decide if you even care about the speed increase.
>keep in mind you only need about 0.006Gbps to perfectly stream high-quality 1080p, 60fps video. Even something crazy like 4K streaming only takes around 0.025Gbps, so current 4G speeds are more than enough for anyone. I am sure some day when we are all streaming virtual reality data to the heads-up display on our face computers, 5G's faster Internet speed will be useful

I have a feeling that a lot of those chips will get integrated in future chip designs, so that's probably not so much of a problem in the future.

Not OP talking but the other points still stand
The frequencies are just too high and too easy to block and there is no way around it.

4G is just fine, telecoms just need to stop restricting bandwidth and you will have fast speeds. We probably will need to upgrade the modems in phones but this "5G" is a really bad idea as of now, they need to come up with something else that isn't on such a high frequency or else it wont work.

>inb4 antennas making a comeback

Attached: Retro-Style-Big-Brother-Mobile-Phone-Antenna-Good-Signal-Power-Bank-Extroverted-FM-Bluetooth-Flashli (640x640, 78K)

As someone who worked on 5g and wired/wireless chips, the article is bullshit.
If your carrier can squeeze more b/w out of its infrastructure, mobile data are becoming cheaper.
5g is also about new routing algorithms for when the network is saturated
5g is for multiple bands
5g is a whole ecosystem of things about wireless networks from smartphones to low powered iot devices.
That faggot from arse technica only appeals to faggots with no clue.
All carriers are going to adipt 5g as fast as possible because they will get more services for even more people.

>muh thin

who cares?

>future chip designs
But the argument still stands. For the next two years at least, every single phone maker will be shilling 5G so hard down your throats it will make you puke. From every corner, every ad, paid review, billboard they will try to cheat as large swathes of consumers as possible into buying this overpriced snake oil.

This is how LTE was when it first launched, all the phones that had it needed extra hardware that made the phones shittier and more expensive. With time 5G integration will get better. Regardless, I'm perfectly fine with the LTE speeds I get on my phone.

this
just give me a thicc ass phone with no compromises

>For now, 4G has a clean, single chip design, while 5G is going to have these massive extra chips to deal with.

Snapdragon 855 is going to have integrated 5G.

>arsetechnica
kys OP

>Snapdragon 855 is going to have integrated 5G.
Wrong, stop lying, nigger.

>Though the Snapdragon is an integrated chip with a modem, DSP, GPU, and CPU, it does not natively support 5G. A “5G” phone would also need to include the discrete X50 modem chip, Qualcomm executives confirmed

totally not a qualcomm internt

well then a later model will *dabs*

>an asspple shill rag dumps on 5G because applel is a fucking joke and won't have 5G for 2 years because they're too busy trying to copy it
COPE

Attached: 1541130606674.jpg (643x960, 256K)

it's also going to increase the cancer rates as well

I wish

Do you like taking whole every fat dick you're presented with, you consumerist drone?

Irony coming from a brain dead iToddler.

I have never owned an aplel device and I don't care about them. They're just as bad as everyone else.

5G will become mainstream once Apple adopts it. They won't be the first to do so, but their implementation will be the best and most efficient. The only 5G shit we're gonna see with Android is janky fat phones made out of plastic or external solutions like Motorola's moto mods for the time being.

tsk tsk. Again, it's up to an American company to solve this problem for the 3rd world savages.

Except this will be in infancy mode at least for the next 3-4 years.

Some people even say that this whole generation is one big infancy stage of internet of things concept and we'll have to wait for 6G to have it truly working:
networkworld.com/article/3305359/lan-wan/6g-will-achieve-terabits-per-second-speeds.html

There seems to be a lot of articles lately being dismissive over 5G in general, and Qualcomm in particular. I wonder, who can possibly be behind this phenomenon ?

>Regardless, I'm perfectly fine with the LTE speeds I get on my phone.

LTE sucks in my rural area, I rarely even see speeds of 5Mbps down. I wish the cellular companies would focus more on improving the existing 4G infrastructure instead of moving on to rolling out 5G in the major cities where they already have excellent 4G coverage / speeds.

You don't get it, I need 5G. With 4G it takes a whole 55 seconds for me to hit my monthly data limit. With 5G I could use up my data in less than 30 seconds.

Also, not OP

I thought no 5g yet cause Huawei getting BTFO
banned in
Japan
New Zealand
Australia
USA
Canada

Because everyone sees that it's a blatant cash grab? Nigger, some people are actually still on the consumer side.

>1G - infancy of mobile communication
>2G - maturity of mobile communication
>3G - infancy of mobile internet
>4G - maturity of mobile internet
>5G - infancy of internet of things
>6G - maturity of internet of things

If you're buying into odd numbers you're basically fucking stupid.

haha what a dumbo

>ppl in the 80s lmao

Attached: narcos.jpg (960x960, 52K)

>t. someone who wasn't around in the pre-3G era

this thread gave me more cancer than all the Gs combined

|
|>
|
|

Triforce truly has evolved.

You are a dumb nigger, like most in this board.
Your carrier will have the ability to fit 5times more connections on the same slot you occupy to "hit your monthly data", thus your data will become cheaper.
Same shit that happened with dsl.

if fucking only
i'd love if more than two rooms in my house would have reliable reception

Nice... But 4g isn't fully compliant with 3gpp.
Do you mean to tell me that your tech assumptions are based upon marketing bullshit?

Not even, I just pulled them out of my ass!

This whole thread is just a flame of mine and I'm antagonizing by arguing with my own posts. I'm at a horribly boring party and I needed to vent off some. IDGAF about 5G or any of that crap lol

ISP and Phone carrier here are saying that 5G will be better than Fiber optics on of the reasons is...latency...
That's complete BS right?

>once 5G becomes mainstream after chinks miniaturize it and perfect it, then apple will adopt it like the follower sheep they are
yikes

Attached: 1525533679327.png (500x589, 222K)

The antenna is most likely not hooked up to a fiber connection, it's DSL or cable

> most 4G users still don't fully benefit from the fastest speeds possible on that technology
> "hey, let's implement 5G"!

The reasons might be the cost of deployment of fiber to the home (ridiculously high) vs deployment of tens thousands micro cells (quite high).

Whoever put latency as one of the reasons though is a brain-dead liar.

5g is actually the first protocol that they put thought into uunifying wireless communications and make it fit for low to high freq bands.
Ofc people are going to get scummed if they buy a product with a 5g sticker on it. You have to know the device's capabilities before buying it.
5g will be ready for purchase when embedded devices with 5g appear on the market.
It took15 years to happen that with wifi? Yeah... When wifi appeared on very low powered devices, you knew prety much that the protocol finished developing.

that's what I figured, they are feeding bullshit to people so they can slow down on fiber deployment

>5G might usher in the era of plastic-sided phones.
Yes please! The premium metal meme sucks. Of course I'd like superior plastics back.

Makes sense.

I admittedly normally indulge in a bit of Apple bashing, especially with shill cunts like yourself - however, in all srs. IF 5G does get its shit together and speeds are as promised, and Apple still refuse to pay ball with QC ? - being 2 years or so behind the development curve, with everyone else enjoying x-Applel speeds - thats gonna be a hard sell for Apple to keep market share, even granted their Kool-Aid slurping base

>Yeah... When wifi appeared on very low powered devices, you knew prety much that the protocol finished developing.
That's actually interesting point. So what do you make of 802.11ax, the local/home counterpart to 5G. On paper it seemed quite revolutionary to me when I first read the specs (that technology comparison table from wiki). Am I in the wrong here?

other base station companies will be able to sell in those areas

Attached: https _s3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com_psh-ex-ftnikkei-3937bb4_images__aliases_articleimage_7_9_2_6_ (770x433, 16K)

>chinks
>innovate

>Apple still refuse to pay ball with QC ? - being 2 years or so behind the development curve
Patent leveraging (trolling) and the subsequent lawsuit onslaught is a much bigger obstacle in the consumer tech world than actual tech advancement.

Data already costs nothing for the cellular companies to provide, they just charge whatever they want for it because they can.

I'd rather stay on 4G, English councils are banning 5G transmission units due to making people feel sick

literal boomer rage

this thing is a bit more reasonable now no?

Attached: .jpg (1690x1227, 135K)

>Funny thing, we went through the same deal not that long ago with Bluetooth 5.0. It was being touted with 4x speed, 4x range, blah blah blah, but you just can't bend physics like that. It's like, yes, 4x the speed if devices are less than a meter apart, and 4x the range provided that at half to max range speeds are so freaking slow that they become useless for even the most basic tasks.

>5G is the same crap. It's faster, yes, but for good coverage we're looking at multiple antennas per block, specially in dense urban centers with tons of concrete buildings which signal won't pass through. It's gonna consume a whole ton of power, it will take potentially a decade or more for reasonable implementation, and it still depends on how mobile networks will play ball on this.
Rural broadband? Dude, if ISPs can't be bothered with passing simple cables down to rural cities, what makes people think carriers will bother installing multiple expensive and hard to maintain antennas there?

ac was a test of the new phy layer on 5ghz,
Ax introduces fixes on current wifi problems with protocol overhead, medium sharing and multiple channels.

Same happened with pcie, when it reached 3.0 version
Same with ddr3
All the next generations are going to be small fixes on protocol overhead, consumption, compatibility etc.

Ironic that those piece of shit Motorola phones are likely going to be the only option for tryhard early adopters for 5G for at least a year

Is that a battery integrated with a modem? That's neat.

In real life use we only fucking see like 10% of the theoretical capacity of 4G. Why are we moving on already? How about the carriers actually stop overselling their towers and give me my promised speed before we reach the actual technical limits and have to move on? Did the NSA embed tracking in 5G so that's why they want everyone to move on so bad?

So I did good in getting a oneplus 6t today. I was worried it would be outdated next year when 5g is out

Better have been McClaren edition

I did better getting OnePlus 6 in June, because it's exactly the same phone as yours, but it still has a jack :^)

>AUX input
Those images are always retarded but goddamn.

Attached: 1539629686125.jpg (2048x2040, 149K)

They probably were fantasising about the official Jow Forums phone

Attached: 1478217431960.png (500x806, 222K)

that mod actually has everything in the bottom row here integrated. yes, including the 855 SoC.

i got a z3 play for like $230 and it's pretty good with the wireless charging mod. the gamepad is also good other than the fact that many apps don't support it.

Attached: 1438733766574_0.png (219x281, 113K)

5 Jow Forums !? I barely keep up with one version of this board! Hiroshima lost his mind.

Attached: rules-and-regularations.jpg (640x360, 31K)

anandtech.com/show/13676/moto-5g-mod-at-snapdragon-summit-lots-of-antennas-and-s855-inside

Do samsung phones normally come with facebook loaded?

What is the point of even arguing with you? Yo are like extremists, no matter how much evidence and information is out there, you will never admit there are health concerns.

I don't want 5G transmission units every 400 meters, or outside my house or on the outside of my place of work. Long term exposure to RF radiation emitters (transmission towers) causes cancer, and 5G will be worse. The US had to raise the 'acceptable exposure' rating to allow 5G.

No, they come with Zuckerberg
's load

>dat antenna nub

Attached: 1520007079611.png (792x792, 830K)

I wasn't even making an argument. But yeah, cite all the "evidence" you want, I have yet to be convinced. FFS, mmWave doesn't penetrate skin (see ).

Attached: reynolds-foil.jpg (1200x800, 120K)

OP and the main contrarian shitposter of this thread here:

I actually had an idea to start posting as the official UN's insects delegate and sorry out about colony collapse disorder and post proofs how Qualcomm had a deal with Monsanto to activate DDT through RF.

Then I wanted to spiral it out into a political drivel and reveal myself as actually a Chinese cyber army frontman.

But that's too much for me today. Good night fellas, I'm heading home.

I don't think you can integrate antennas to a chip, why does SETI have such massive arrays of dishes if mere technological advancement would miniaturize them to the palm of your hand?

Attached: very large array.jpg (640x480, 71K)

ops pic is so full of shit. many 4g phones have separate application processor and communication processor, for example qcomm apq8060 ap soc and intel's xgold cp.
all phones have a separate antenna module.

also, mmwaves is just a small part of 5g.

the only comment in the whole thread that is even close to a valid point

We all know that ;)

the "antenna module" is probably just an amplification IC
high frequency antennas should actually be smaller.
the actual antenna probably can be done as a copper layer in the pcb sandwich

with all these new botnet parts i wounder what we gonna lose next

speakers? volume buttons? usb port?

can you run 5g on 2.4 ghz or lower? that's literally the only answer that matters

The same thing happened with 4G, along with companies incorrectly claiming to have 4G. Of course they're gonna market shit to you.

Jow Forums is too autistic to fall for that.

>intel xgold cp
where's the .onion?

>Early adopters have to deal with buggy shit
News at 11!

Yet another blow for the blue company's public image!

/x/ might fall for it

Jow Forums falls for all sorts of retarded nonsense

You mean /v/irgins and redditards.

I love the concept of moto mods, specifically the battery part. Phone comes with a 3000mah battery, then you can just slap on a 2000mah+ battery for 5000mah+. You can set it so that the phone battery always stays at an 80% charge so it preserves the battery lifetime a bit more. if you don't want it that thick then just take the mod off. Z3 was slightly shitty since it used last year's SoC but the launch price was $500. Main thing I would change would be the get rid of that ugly logo on the front and add in a 3.5mm jack.

who cares
phoneposters should be cut in half, vertically

It doesn't penetrate skin, it's absorbed by the skin, and the skin will be abosrbing the radiation at amounts far higher than 3 or 4G.

It also means that nerve endings and capillaries may be affected, not only that, but eyes, testes and sweat glands are exposed and will be absorbing mmWave radiation

I don't want to stop 5G, just delay it until we are sure that we can be exposed to it constantly on a daily basis over 10-15 years without increasing cancer rates by 3 to 10 times higher than currently.