Finals

Just had 2 finals. One about GQM and the other one about context-free grammar and turing machine. What was/g/ most difficult subject in college?

Attached: IMG-20181214-WA0002.jpg (1280x720, 140K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uUH5QGRsnQY
explorecourses.stanford.edu/search?view=catalog&filter-coursestatus-Active=on&page=0&q=PHIL151
metacademy.org/roadmaps/rgrosse/stanford_phil151
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Hardest class I took was a 4th level applied linear algebra. I went in an expecting an easy class, but it was like 20-30 pages of theorems/definitions/etc. a week, and 80% proofs. That course alone took at least 20 hours of my time per week. Second hardest was Databases II which focused on implementation details. Course itself wasn't too bad except for the final project where we had to implement another join algorithm in PostgresSQL. That was fucking brutal.

Fucking CFGs/TMs were my worst nightmare in CS.

Math 2
Mostly because I don't like memorizing shit, and most of it is proofs and problems that can only be solved if you remember that one particular formula or theorem or identity. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike math, but I dislike questions which are not central to a concept but outliers, and exceptions to the concept,
Also Laplace transform, beta Gamma function proofs, and Fourier transform were tough

>Fucking CFGs/TMs were my worst nightmare in CS.
>mfw CFG, DFA, NFA were the only reason I passed in automata theory
I do agree turning machines were hard, but CFG wasn't hard at all. Were you smoking pot in the class

Calculus, barely scraped by

Grammar reduction, et al. got annoyingly complex. It doesn't help that my professor is some master chess person who's got a giant fucking hardon for himself who loves throwing the hardest problems possible at us. Our final was 4 questions, one TM related, one was a two page CFG and we had to write a fucking novel about it, and then reduce it. It wasn't fun at all.

Don't fret too much about finals. The only way your GPA will matter is if you apply to post-grad school and your LSAT scores will matter far more. What's important is that you learn the material (or at least the useful parts).

Video related.
youtube.com/watch?v=uUH5QGRsnQY

I found continuous statistics to be the most difficult, mostly because I found it completely boring and the word problems sometimes confusing.

Computabilidade e Complexidade no IST?

Me? I took a grad-level Real Analysis course that was a bit of a back-breaker. But that was mostly just a rude awakening to the amount of explicit rigor they expect at that level. Hardest in a vacuum? Honestly, that'd probably be Stats 2. I'm glad I learned real statistics instead of that preschool they teach to extra-disciplinary students in Stats 1, but let me say, I do not envy the actuary their job.

>It doesn't help that my professor is some master chess person who's got a giant fucking hardon for himself who loves throwing the hardest problems possible at us
That's probably the reason. Most people think that the professor doesn't matter, and only your personal effort does, but that's not entirely true. A good professor can make the learning process a lot easier. My operating system prof was like that, he'd start the concept at the beginning from the shallow end and gradually by the end of the class he'd have explained everything effortlessly.

On the other hand my math professor was a weirdo. He taught the concept first, and then made us solve questions which almost always consisted of boundary cases, or exceptions to the concept. I mean what the fuck man

Electromagnetic field theory, all that fucking vector calc

>then made us solve questions which almost always consisted of boundary cases, or exceptions to the concept. I mean what the fuck man

God I fucking hate that; I also had a math professor that pulled the same shit. How is "teaching by exceptions" a logical method? What the fuck. He was proud his drop rate was 55% for a higher-level mathematics class. This isn't "Becky tries to find if calculus 1 is her thing or not", this is "Fucking masochist that loves math and wants to learn more" class. 55% drop rate at that level is insane.

Countability and decidability. Theory of computer science was pretty interesting but decidability prooving really fucked my ass and failed the exam twice before getting it nailed.

Because it's exception cases that entertained them the most. I'm a CS student in undergraduate, and now studying Master discrete mathematics. We have something like Random Graph, Additive Group Theory, etc. that specially focusing in bound cases, extremalities. After one year of being drilled in their ways, I think I understand that difference between informatics and mathematics now.

>turning machines were hard
lmao

Heh I remember an assignment about minimizing the graph of a definite finite automaton when learning about grammars and having no fucking clue what I was doing but somehow my code worked.
That's when I learned I was to dumb for CS desu

Multi variable calculus

>Electromagnetic field theory, all that fucking vector calc
As someone who changed majors from EE to CS, you have my sincerest sympathies

>but CFG wasn't hard at all

You can prove that the language is context-free by showing a grammar that generates it or the pushdown automaton that recognizes it. Good luck.

Attached: Screenshot_20181215-041100~2.png (1080x202, 21K)

ou = or

I've only been through one semester of uni so far, but the hardest class I took was Discrete Math. I had never been so scared that I would fail a class before this one, and I'm not sure if I even scrapped by.
It really weirded me out because I had heard it was so easy from people who already took it and that the higher level intro to OOP was difficult but I cheesed that class with barely any effort and got over 100%. On the other hand I'm luck if I get a B in discrete.

I remember being afraid of discrete math too. Newton's binomial was kinda hard.

Yeah, I just fret a little cause if I don't pass I'll have to repeat it, and that means another six months of my life stuck at college.

>Newton's binomial
We didn't cover that this semester, but there are two classes in the series so it'll probably show up there.
I mostly struggled with proofs that weren't induction because they all felt so aimless.

explorecourses.stanford.edu/search?view=catalog&filter-coursestatus-Active=on&page=0&q=PHIL151 metacademy.org/roadmaps/rgrosse/stanford_phil151
The proofs were hard as fuck. By the end, we proved the completeness and soundness of mathematics. The last few problem sets had me writing proofs that were each 100 pages long, handwritten. :/ This was for a degree in artificial intelligence.

Here it was divided into two components: discrete math and propositional logic. I also had algorithm, problem solving and intro to science and technology, which was a subject that teaches how to do and publish science, mostly write papers. That was my first semester.

I remember coming here and bitching about induction, haha. Crazy stuff.

Methods of theoretical physics
Finished the exam on Thursday
I just finished my major
Feelsgoodman

If you go by how many times I failed, English 101. If you go by material, Applied Electromagnetics. First or second quiz they wanted us to write down Maxwell's equations for an EM wave traveling in vacuum. There were no hints as to what was on quizzes. Home work was also many hours of work, so many the professor said just copy from your friends.

Being a transfer student and broke, everyone already made their friends and nobody wanted a new one.

Uni wasn't fun.

P.s. some students took the new book (prof made with some other uni colleagues). Some students were going for MS/PhDs and said they had to deal with as much stuff. In one semester they wanted us to learn lasers, vector-based waves in anisotropic magnetic mediums, etc.

P.p.s the quiz was 5+ questions. Maxwell's equations were just one of em.

On the final, one question was the far-field equation or something, for a dipole antenna, in polar coordinates. The book exercise was cartesian. They didn't go over the book question. They never went over any questions.

hue

>failing fucking English 101
Do you even have a brain?

Congratulations!!!

I had to code an http server for networks

Which language did you use?

S -> TC | AU
T -> aTb | aA | bB
U -> bUc | bB | cC
A -> aA | e
B -> bB | e
C -> cC | e