Is Java still useful?

Or is it useless now?

Ive heard that the modern version of java is unusable in IDE's and takes way too much memory.

Attached: head first.jpg (1664x2100, 489K)

Other urls found in this thread:

harmful.cat-v.org/software/java
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

For all the shit C gets, Java is truly the language of the Boomer.

is wrong. java swing allows you to create rich, user friendly desktop applications by hot-swapping enterprise beans directly from your maven repository. 20 guys - 18 of whom with names that includes "ee" and a "j" or two, brought us 150 years into the future with that stuff. We've got 130 years to go until the others catch up. Java is -130 years old, so it is certainly no boomer language.

Besides android dev/boomer shit/ minecraft modding there doesn't seem to be much of a niche for java. C# has .net and unity game development. Which is why i have always preferred it. I don't know much about the java ecosystem, but it seems to me like minecraft and android have singlehandedly kept it relavent lol.

Aside from android dev, it's useless indeed. C# is a much better language in the same niche.
Oh, and java never was useful... it always was a meme, but it's true that for a decade many people believed it.

its required teaching at universities and community colleges.

Whats a maven repository?

If you properly code your shit you end up with a platform independent .jar solution. Give me one language that can achieve that.

sorry but im a beginner who only knows a bit of SQL, what does what you said mean? whats an independent .jar solution, why is java better than other languages?

you smell like curry

>swing
literally i want to kill my self using it
i don't think javafx is any better

Java is platform independent, that means your java code is running on a java vm called the JRE. What's great about java is its environment really:
*Gigantous standard library ootb
*Painless test writing and code coverage
*Painless debugging
*You can literally take your minecraft.jar and run it on whatever device with a JRE implemented.

Also use eclipse or.IntelliJ, nothing else, only big fucking retards would write java in vim and compile with javac

What's your end game user? You're wanting to learn java? Most companies use Java for shit desktop client. It's relevant. Or .Net. Everyone is MOVING towards Angular, node. Desktop apps are dying in the corp world. Games is another domain

harmful.cat-v.org/software/java

You just forgot enterprise backend development. A niche, really.

It means your code will be compiled to Java even if you program in a different language (like Kotlin - which is basically like Java with Lombok annotation plugin, eg reducing boilerplate).

I would not totally agree with that. There is also the Microsoft .NET/C# world.

And there is Node.JS. People love NodeJS since you can write it in Typescript and have the benefits of statically typed languages with the freedom of srteams and classic functions. I was at Martin Fowler's presentation at Thoughtworks last month and even he would choose Typescript/Javascript for introduction to programming. But unfortunately most enterprise companies would still rather go with Java because their developers have more knowledge in Java/Spring and learning something new costs money. Java will not go away, no matter what college virgins without employment history on Jow Forums try to tell you.

Just learn Kotlin, or maybe Scala if you feel spicy. They have better syntax and can still fully leverage the Java ecosystem.
The JVM isn't going anywhere, but Java is a language which is going to become legacy sooner rather than later.

Kotlin is actually what google suggests android developers use now.

Cobol and Fortran are still around to, but you won' t see anyone recommending them because your opportunities are limited to legacy projects.
The same is going to be the same with Java. If you are ok maintaining old systems as your career then you will be fine. But if you want to work on new things, then a more modern language will serve you better.

I disagree there will always be backend projects. What else would a tech lead approve? C# or Java. Not a script like PHP or JS or Perl that shit gets slow for enterprise tasks. C# or Java is the answer. Nobody wants to mess with the complexity of C++ either.

How bout Rust tho

Go or python
>Complexity of C++
You say that as if Java is any better.

Word. I do backend dev in silicon valley at a top 50 internet conpany and out entire backend is Java. Java is great and my favorite language by far.

>python
Yeah, I too like to set my timeouts to 10s.

>Java is great and my favourite language by far.
You are the first person I have ever heard in life or on the internet say that Java is their favourite language.
Just thought you should know.

Enterprise. Java is my favorite language too.

I chuckled. Great bait user.

Attached: 👌.gif (640x480, 1001K)

Java is a good language for large systems. Spring is still shit, JEE is surprisingly good now fellow OCAcerted dudes.
You can do just about anything with the language and still read it 6 months later. That's a major benefit if you write long lasting systems.
The tooling is amazing, the libraries are good and the frameworks are actually useful outside of Spring. Java will never be your favourite language, but it is an above average one.