ITT: God Tier Handhelds

Bonus points if it's x86_64

Attached: gameboy.jpg (474x327, 14K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=39NMtbf0L1c
aliexpress.com/item/Universal-USB-External-Combo-Optical-Drive-CD-Player-CD-Burner-for-PC-Laptop-Win-7-8/32957610876.html
liliputing.com/2018/12/gpd-micro-is-a-tiny-299-laptop-aimed-at-it-pros-coming-in-2019.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Unironically the switch. Finally the screen is big enough for fully fledged 3D games. Playing Prime Hunters on a ds was a shit experience

You should hack yours and install a GNU/Linux distribution on it.

Too busy playing Smash

gameboy micro
it's small enough to put in a coat pocket and not notice and feels really nice in hand if you have small to medium sized hands, paired with a flash cart to play older gen games is and it's amazing

Attached: 17040720037.jpg (1600x1070, 250K)

>get one of these for free from a friend
>lose charger
>move
>find charge
>lose micro

I never found the Advance to be a particularly comfortable handheld to hold.

but why? The shield k1 exists, and installing gahnoo+loonix means you have fuck all to play.

recommend me a high quality smartphone gamepad addon

The NGPC was pretty dank, but the library of games was pretty pitiful (with the exception of weak tea fighting games). Plus I looked like a sperg playing puzzle link and that robot trpg in public, so I sold it to some numale basedboy.
I wonder what the mod scene's like

life is suffering

The DS was ahead of its time despite the really shit screen

bump

What if I took a device that exists solely to play games.
And fucking bricked it.

Attached: altoids.jpg (1400x1050, 201K)

bing bing wahoo!

Take your garbage memes and fuck off back to

You can have Linux installed and play games, retard.

PSP

>DS
>ahead of it's time
Come on, look at the PSP. There was no handheld device that could compete in raw power with it, it was basically a portable PS2.

Games Like driv3r for the GBA had devs that knew how to push the GBA to its limits. Just look at it.

Attached: 1522178855666.jpg (1280x720, 89K)

>it doesn't run linux mint

Attached: 800px-NEC-TurboExpress-Upright-FL.jpg (800x1025, 69K)

True, also I liked the thumbstick controller idea better than the D-pad everything else went with.

I miss the days of hardware limitations that required genius creativity to overcome instead of just raising minimum required specs. Shit like fast inverse square root was amazing.

>no backlights
>the sp is a destroyer of hands
>nothing but gimped snes ports and shovelware

idunno mang, I just ended up emulating the few games worth playing

seconded

I hope you meant 3DS, because the DS was just a GBA in a Game&Watch housing.

fucking manlets

fucking eyelets

The Tomorrow Children devs invented Asynchronous Compute on the PS4, and it was later codified as a vulkan feature. And compute based culling from id. It's all for consoles. PC is where software goes to die because hardware companies peddle high end hardware to brute force performance problems. Hell, the reason why Johan Anderrson of EA DICE wrote the proto-Mantle specification was because he wanted PC to have more parity with consoles he was developing Frostbite for.

this is hands down, peak perfomance, peak aesthetics, nifty and clean, ergonomic, great battery, backlight and a charger.

For its time it was the most advanced peace of shit for videogames in the entire world, and to this day remains as my favorite.

Really fucking pissed nintendo then created the DS instead of challenging the PSP. They could've easily lead the touchscreen market if they knew what the fuck they were doing.

Attached: Game_Boy_Advance_SP_Red_Model.png (1465x1152, 1.34M)

>x86_64
>handheld
U r an retard. x86 is a powerhog and should never be used in handheld technology.

That's on the GBA? That's pretty impressive. I've been thinking lately about how one would do a top down shooter where you could go into a first person view for aiming but wouldn't be able to move from the position you're in while aiming. The reason being so that the 3D view minus the enemies and sprites for objects usable as cover could be rendered during the delay between you pressing the button and aiming down the sights as a way to keep the framerate from dropping as it did on the first person shooters that were ported to the GBA. Jow Forums related concerns about gun handling normally falling flat in overhead shooters being the reason for offering first person aiming.

>worst buttons in the entire history of nintendo handhelds

psp

Attached: Dingoo_A320_White.jpg (1920x1289, 122K)

That shit is uncomfortable as fuck, I ended getting a regular GBA and a backlight screen replacement.

A Challenger Appears!

>Emulates everything short of the Dreamcast
>7350mAh battery
>720p
>Essentially an XB360 controller, analogue triggers and all
>Can play PS2 ports for Android

Honestly if they'd just have given it OpenGL ES3 support it would still be the best fucking android game system around.

Attached: 61jofDgyRBL.AC_SL1000_.jpg (908x796, 69K)

This is the power of ray traced graphics.
Yes really.

this fucking thing was a brick i swear. didnt get defeated by rugged wear or water easily.

That thing was shit. It was built great, but mine had a terrible display. Past that, the 720p ruined it. Got their tablet and never looked back. Hell, now I'm using my phone with a telescopic controller because the streaming is lower latency than the tablet.

>Retroarch
>Adrenaline (PSP CFW injected into an official PSP game emulator)
>PSP games can be patched to have dual analog support
>can play PS1 games off discs over network via PS3 and PS4
>can also remote play select PS3 games (all with modded PS3) and iirc all PS4 games

Attached: 1920px-PlayStation-Vita-1101-FL.jpg (1920x1172, 167K)

The Game Boy Micro had a really fucking god D-Pad, but the screen was way too small to be comfortable.
Ironic how Nintendo moved to XL versions of handhelds after this.

Attached: 1515975502920.gif (800x371, 125K)

I don't know when you used a micro but i think the silicon in them must degrade really fast. i've owned 5 and 2 had really good d-pads and 3 were fucking awful

James Bond 007: Nightfire
youtube.com/watch?v=39NMtbf0L1c
How many other GBA games had the ability to have a 3D view and let you look up and down?

Are you kidding?
One of the first games that came with it, the SM64 remake, was technically impressive already, and pretty much impossible on a GBA.

With respect to the PSP, the DS was clearly the better console in terms of games, many of which knew how to use the touchscreen well, but the former was more technologically impressive.

I admit that it's been many years, but I clearly remember it being way better than the original GBA's D-pad and a million times better than the SP's. The DS Lite had a comparable one, but the Micro imho had the better one. To this day, I have yet to find a better D-pad.

> Bonus points if it's x86_64
Here's your x86 handheld user, runs older Steam games like a champ

Attached: file.jpg (5984x3392, 1.14M)

why wouldn't you just run ps1 games locally?
also vita-moonlight for nvidia gamestreaming from a PC.

>why wouldn't you just run ps1 games locally?
Because you have the disc and haven't downloaded an iso yet
>also vita-moonlight for nvidia gamestreaming from a PC
Haven't tried that yet, I forgot about it

if you have the disc you would have ripped it yourself...

>Worse specs than any modern smartphone

I meant to incude or ripped it. Not everyone has an optical drive anymore....

You mean just like literally everything else itt? Also
>better controls than any modern smartphone

Sorry to hear you got a bad unit, but the lack of a good controller dock for the tablet ruined it.

Nvidia to this day made the only mobile SoCs without shit drivers. The future is bleak.

aliexpress.com/item/Universal-USB-External-Combo-Optical-Drive-CD-Player-CD-Burner-for-PC-Laptop-Win-7-8/32957610876.html

Nice Switch senpai

It's basically the GBA plus some very low end ARM9 processor. Most of it's games could be ran on a GBA if it was developed to it, very few were 3D intensive like SM64. And running SM64 was not impressive, just look at what the PSP could do at the time.

I wish the chinks hired a some real designers to design that shit, it has so much potential. I hope the GPD3 doesn't look that bad.

Fuck off with this shit in every handheld thread.
The Switch also has worse hardware than most smartphones, i guess it's also worthless now

That's not what he was concerned about, retard.

>And running SM64 was not impressive, just look at what the PSP could do at the time.
The point wasn't about it being impressive. It was about the DS not being "a GBA in a Game&Watch housing".

I like the 1 better than the 2, just a boring plain black clamshell.

They're doing a new device that's for sys admins that looks like a mini toughbook though if that's more your thing: liliputing.com/2018/12/gpd-micro-is-a-tiny-299-laptop-aimed-at-it-pros-coming-in-2019.html

:^)

Looks pretty good, but let's see if they are going to release a new one with sticks

>ergonomic

on that list remote play of PS4 games seems like only reason you should get a vita.

PSP is superior imo unless you want to remote play PS4. and remote playing ps4 is kinda stupid now because playstationNow already exists.

>PSP is superior imo
Not him but explain why the hell you think that, because I can't find any reason it's superior.

Vita can do almost anything you'd want of a PSP.

I love my sp

Attached: sp.jpg (3024x4032, 1.56M)

and nothing extra other than ps4 remote play. it has like 4 good exclusives games and 3 of them are monster hunter clones and 1 is a shitty FPS no one plays Killzone merc

PSP is better. smaller nicer colors native resolution not stupid 1=4 pixel you get on vita.

remote play to ps4 might be keno thou. depends on codec it uses and lag and stuff i guess over home network.

>Vita can do anything you'd want of a PSP.
Fixed that for you.

what model is that is that the best backlight model?

i think my ideal SP would be crystal clear + nice backlight.

>tfw GBA SP backlit display with GBA ergonomics never
The flat square SP was awful to hold to be honest.

This was the time when Nintendo was based
There was one little issue
No phone jackts

Are you literally retarded? Vita has a IPS display that's way better than that washed, blurry thing on the PSP. Also it has retroarch that runs at decent speeds, so no more shitty emulators. And the "1=4 pixel" looks exactly like a real PSP since the pixel density is higher. It being bigger is the only real complain you got.

There was only one backlight model.

AGS-001 = Front-lit, original model
AGS-101 = Back-lit, best model

Can't do IR like 1000s, but in 2018...
There's very small compat issues because certain PSP hardware is absent, such as for Daedalus the N64 emu.

Vita emulation is at a wall for HW acceleration.

>OLED option
>literal 2x integer scaling
wat

are y'all telling me the DS Lites aren't primo mobile gaming devices? a fucking pleasure to play.

Attached: edc (2).jpg (1217x788, 264K)

If it's not integrated then it's awful
>PSP is superior imo unless you want to remote play PS4
Vita does practically everything the PSP does and then some. It can even play some PSP games better than the PSP can (back to the dual analog stick mod). The only pros PSPs have over the Vita are the IR blaster, serial port, video out, and UMD drive, and there isn't even a single PSP model that has all of those features.

Vita has the PSTV if you desire video out. They used to be cheap.

Yeah, that's not a handheld though.
>tfw went to buy one the other day expecting them to still be $30
Holy shit

A tragedy to be sure, but it's RetroPie so you should be able to put it atop Mint

emulators are shit you can buy a SP and 3DS and play every Nintendo game perfectly for like 80$ total.

Vita I shit unless you use PS4 remote play just admit it. at this point its basically a controller with a nice screen and nothing els.

The DS Lite is probably one of the most aesthetically pleasing handhelds out there and the stylus/touch screen input definitely beats a joystick for precision. Only issue for me is that I find myself wanting just a d pad and buttons for controls if I'm using something other than a keyboard and mouse these days.

DekaVita :^)

I own a pstv and vita but don't use the tv after I got a steam link

later gay bowser

You might as well just get any bluetooth console controller and get one of those phone mounting brackets so you can put your phone on it. Better screen, better controller, better everything except battery life really.

I want to buy a SP, but I'm not sure whether to try to find an AGS-101 or not. Apparently the AGS-100 has colour reproduction like the original GBA, just with a permanent light in front of the screen, but the AGS-101 and Micro look different, and since they were released at the end of the GBA's life, it's safe to say there were only a handful of games designed with them in mind.

Attached: Dp4sQiZVsAAsrjq.jpg:orig.jpg (1486x1188, 270K)

>he doesnt have gentoo on his switch

you'll literally never notice if you don't have a back lit one already

If it launched with 2 analog sticks, had developer support similar to the app store or play store (or any 3rd party developer support at all, rather than just straight up deleting it) and released the ability to play ps1 games sooner, it would have been goat.

GTA, Lumines, Loco Roco, MGA/MGS, Tekken, and Daxter were all great games. For how premium and nice the psp felt at the time, Im really surprised it wasn't more successful.

Attached: psp-hardware-two-column-01-ps4-eu-18nov15.png (580x250, 193K)

Man, I always say this thing was soooo ahead of it's time.

Until this day I play MHFU.

>breaks hinge randomly
The DSL is probably the best looking handheld I ever had, but fuck Nintendo and that bad designed hinge man. I already owned 2 DSL and both broke in the very same place, same with my 3 friends that owned a DSL. Meanwhile the DSi I bought when it got released shows no sign of breaking.

Works fine on my GPD Win

Yup, it's the 101 model in graphite color
It doesn't hurt my hands at all after long term use, and I can't fit the original gba in my pocket as easily

Attached: IMG_20181215_194741.jpg (1635x1636, 589K)

>this is hands down, peak perfomance, peak aesthetics, nifty and clean, ergonomic, great battery, backlight and a charger.
>For its time it was the most advanced peace of shit for videogames in the entire world, and to this day remains as my favorite.
>Really fucking pissed nintendo then created the DS instead of challenging the PSP. They could've easily lead the touchscreen market if they knew what the fuck they were doing.

as someone who owned a gba, gba sp, and a psp, the gba sp got the most mileage, the recharable battery was super efficient for the time and the library of games, including backwards compatability with older games and the availability of flashcarts made the SP ridiculous., I had multiple pokemon games with 999+ hour saves on them and and the battery still holds a charge to this day and hasnt needed to be replaced. the SP was the last piece of nintendo hardware to contain real nintendium

Can't hold proper time.

is this true

i really want to make a x86_64 in a gameboy form factor