Lads i bought some new shitty asus laptop and it has this shitty endless OS

lads i bought some new shitty asus laptop and it has this shitty endless OS
i was thinking about installing windows 7 but it's UEFI and i can't be bothered to make a new windows 7 USB, plus i've seen some niggers say that the drivers'll be screwed up
my question is what type of linux should i install that's most similar to windows 7 and isn't some botnet?
please no bully i've never used linux

Attached: 23124124124.jpg (657x527, 24K)

install gentoo

does it have any coding autism?
i just want some windows 7 clone without all the nerd shit

someone please respond

Attached: 24123213.jpg (720x762, 50K)

Ok. Grab the windows 8.1 iso and install it. it's similar to windows 7.

Stay away from linux it breaks so quickly. Your machine is new so probably linux is not a good option.

>Ok. Grab the windows 8.1 iso and install it. it's similar to windows 7.
no
anything past 7 is
a) disgusting looking
b)a jewish botnet meant to steal all your data

Debian with KDE

Honestly just install Ubuntu or Mint.

What you need is KDE neon

is there any guide i can get for picking a linux
because everyone just gave a different answer :^)
i've used ubuntu in school and found it utter garbage

Most linux distros are very similar. Just pick something based on ubuntu and you'll be good.

KDE neon: Looks closest to Windows, tested by it's developers. Most customization possible because it uses KDE

Ubuntu: uses GNOME by default so lacks lots of features and customization. MacOS rip off in a bad way
Lubuntu: Ubuntu for older computers, looks a bit like Windows because it uses LXDE. Lacks some modern features
Kubuntu: same as KDE neon but closer to Ubuntu and not as well tested

Elementary OS: Like ubuntu but without a company backing it. Tries to be a mac OS ripoff but fails hard

Mint: Ubuntu but riced a bit and made by far less trustworthy developers

Red hat, SUSE: Meant for enterprise

Debian: officially only contains free software. Very commonly used on web servers. Ubuntu and a lot of other distros are based on this.

Arch linux: made and used only by ricers, unstable meme distro

Gentoo: the linux distro that can officially do anything you want it to do. Meme in a good way.

Linux from scratch: imagine building a real life sized house out of Legos.

>KDE neon
>Debian
>Gentoo
so i guess these are my best bets?
some other dude told me to get kde with cinnamon
is that good?
also how do i narrow it down from here?
a thousand million thanks for your help user

>KDE neon
Yes, it's good
>Debian
You may get outdated software with the default medium because it's meant to be rock stable for server use. It's okay when you set it to use the testing repo. I'm not sure if there are isos with testing enabled by default
>gentoo
Fine, but not on a laptop, dear god. Do NOT use this on a laptop, you'll compile for days.

Despite the other guy describing mint as "less trustworthy", I'd go with mint if I where in your place. I installed it for a friend when she asked me what to use and she seems happy with it. I get occasional questions about custom shit she wants to do, but it's fine, really. Personal recommendation: Use mint with the cinnamon desktop, it's like the windows 7 desktop, mixed up with the unix idea in a good way.

I wouldn't recommend Gentoo or Debian to a beginner.

Linux has a lot of distributions, aka custom compilations of software. They are called Ubuntu (and it's variants), Gentoo, Debian, Arch, KDE neon etc.

Linux distributions usually include at least one window manager and/or desktop environment like KDE, GNOME, LXDE, Cinnamon and so on. You can install the popular ones on any distro and try out which one you like to use, they are all different in terms of usability and looks. KDE is closest to windows.

Linux distributions use a number of package managers to install and update the programs. Debian and distros based on it like Ubuntu, Mint, KDE neon all use apt and are mostly compatible with each other. In fact, You can install the same software from the package manager on any ubuntu version and KDE neon because they are essentially the same distro but with different stuff already installed.

Ubuntu and it's versions is used by the most people, so it makes sense to use it because you get tutorials on how to install anything on it.

Mint has altered and outdated packages compared to Ubuntu, and they were hacked in the past
>Fine, but not on a laptop, dear god. Do NOT use this on a laptop, you'll compile for days.
What kind of craptop do you have?

not him but my new one is pretty shit
i just bought it for web and shit whilst i'm in uni

that cleared a shit ton of things out
thanks a shit ton m8
i was confused when some dude said to get kde with cinnamon because i thought that kde was the base thing but neon was a gui desktop windows manager thing
so i guess kde neon with kde makes sense to me
to double check with you is that good or did i misunderstand something?

Say what you want, they're objectively the most stable beginner distro currently, just because the have mint by default. It doesn't get more comfy than mint for people coming from windows
>What kind of craptop do you have?
I use some gay fujitsu laptop at work, intel i7 and 16 gb ram woth nvme ssd. My home laptop is an x220 with i5 sandy bridge and 16gb ram. Gentoo is unacceptable on both of them. It's taking way too long to compile shit on my amd 8 core machine, too. Gentoo is cool and all, especially because you can write custom patches for software you use, but it's hell for normal people
>have to configure you own kernel
yeah right this is what normalfags want lmao
Just use mint or neon, they both work fine. Use ubuntu if you feel extra funky and want a fresh ux

Just try out kde neon, mint and some other distros by writing it to an USB stick.

Seconding this, boot them up and check them out before wiping everything

thank you again frens
you literally saved my life
also when installing those is it the same shit as installing windows (ie booting from usb)
cause my laptop doesn't recognize my usb whilst booting for some reason
i think it's because it's one of those old ones that isn't recognized by uefi (i think)

Attached: 23541212412.jpg (1200x676, 92K)

Use Rufus to make the bootable stick if you have a windows machine. In it you must select between BIOS-CSM and UEFI, select UEFI

KDE Neon, I thought KDE was a desktop environment, not a flavor of linux???

Or does Ubuntu have a KDE Neon DE version?

The guys who made KDE made their own distro on which KDE runs the best. It's based on ubuntu.

Yes, you put it on a usb drive and boot that. Most distros extend what they did with windows quite a bit, you can basically test the whole thing from you flashdrive before installing anything. It'll be a bit slower for obvious reasons, but it's still pretty neat. Just remember that everything you do in the live mode is lost after a reboot.
Like the other guy said, use rufus. If rufus doesn't work for you I can also recommend "linux live creator", it's my personal fallback for creating live media from windows machines. If you want personal tech support for various distros you can check in our xmpp group
xmpp:[email protected]?join

Oh, huh. It's been a while since I've messed with linuxy things. Thanks, user.

which iso is the correct one lads?

Attached: Capture.png (1524x556, 196K)

They should be the same, the bottom one just is a permalink to the latest iso (the top one in this case)

i literally owe you my life for this fren
seriously i can't chose shit like this by myself
i get overwhelmed with all the input i receive and just want to throw my electronics out the window
also the wiki recommends using some rosa image writer
is rufus okay or should i follow the wiki?

>is rufus okay
Yeah, just make sure to select GPT and UEFI in it

Rufus is fine, the wiki is shit and outdated

I kinda sorta want a follow up where you test distros and tell us what you think now

i have europoor internet so you're gonna have to wait a bit fren
my neon download is done in a couple of minutes
i can tell you right now that i have never used something as disgusting as that endless OS
literally a nigger tech dumpster fire
it's literally a phone OS on a laptop
i can't even find any sort of utility or options menu
literally invented for npcs

sasuga frogposter

Lads i just booted neon from the usb and so far this shit is better than windows
christ the customizability is eons ahead that cuck faggot bill gate's OS
also there are lots of first party programs
i thought that i would have to install shit like notepad or whatever on this
it's basically kept all the good shit windows had whilst adding some custumizability
shame that playing vidya is basically impossible on linux though
all in all i think i'll just stick with neon
also it had mozzila as default instead of jewgle
that's gotta count for something

Attached: 4211312345.png (371x532, 281K)

>the customizability is eons ahead
Ah, yes. Customizability. The sure sign of the faggot who is unable to adapt to something new and wants everything to be exactly the same as the only thing he knows.