Why use SQL if we have Excel? Also is this normal that you have Excel at CS? I study CS at business school...

Why use SQL if we have Excel? Also is this normal that you have Excel at CS? I study CS at business school, i think they have a deal with microsoft because they are constantly shilling non-free software

Attached: excell.png (140x137, 4K)

install gentoo

>Why SQL if we have excel?

Attached: 1536895596057.png (324x362, 45K)

I think you don't understand the performance increase using a SQL database vs a flatfile (Like Excel) database.

Learn about that, and your question will be answered.
>picture unrelated.

Attached: 05.jpg (700x525, 38K)

I actually had even dumber questions like "why database when we have files and folders"

t. eri

I see, we are doing another brainlet thread

Attached: brainlot.jpg (505x567, 30K)

Excel can only handle so much. For instance it maxes out at a million rows. It also gets slower in its calculations far before that. SQL handles all this stuff better, as well as making more complex queries possible without wading through forests of numeric cell references.

>why use freight ships when inflatable yellow ducks exist?

Holy fucking shit, check out this brainlet.

It is not about SQL, it is about the model of computation that lies behind it. You get a mathematical model for dealing with real world data including modeling it. I urge you user to drop your voluntary retardedness and seriously dive into a database course. It should do you tremendous good. Berkeley's was it for me (even though my uni had similar db related courses), CMU's is fine too.

its just basic set theory, excel is more impressive on math side of things

>tfw when no-one even remembers you exist
I used to try telling SMEs n shit, they were doing things in xl they should be doing in access. None of them cared, not one. There is fucking billions to be made from someone conjuring up a user-friendly db program, as opposed to the billions being made from inflicting convoluted shite like Oracle upon the poor unwary masses

Attached: p1ah6hsovfgk11pnansd1jcbkjn3[1].jpg (590x290, 15K)

yes, ms gives away licenses for school/colleges so its easyer to keep people traped in the ecosystem

>Never working with ETL
>Excel has SQL user

Mfw reading this thread

Attached: tenor.gif (298x200, 708K)

The most brainlet part of this question is that SQL is a language and Excel is software. I'm pretty sure Excel even supports SQL.

>Why use SQL if we have Excel?
Imagine being this fucking retarded

Why use Excel when I could use SQLite? If I'm gonna use a flat file database, I might as well use a good one, right?

>why weld steel plates if we have duct tape?

yeah, why? there is no reason to on modern filesystems e.g. not ntfs.

why use CSV if we have paper & pencil?

> nice bait