I just switched from vim to emacs and holy shit

I just switched from vim to emacs and holy shit
why would you even use vim over emacs? i feel so dumb for using vim for all this time
thank you based stallman

Attached: 1544181473979.png (483x487, 196K)

AHHHHHH

I just learned how to use VIM today and based geohot uses vim

AHHHHHHHH
USE EMACS

because i like my pinkies?

i tried (spac)emacs (very) briefly once and it seems alright if you get used to the whole framework, but honestly, is it really a big improvement over just using the normal cli? I rather like the normal tools and just barebones filesystem navigation and tools

granted I've never had to work on a really big project

emacs is a botnet

but its fsf certified

how?

Emacs is shit...
*closes door*
sudo port install emacs-app

sudo purge emacs

this
and this, like. Everything on emacs you already can do with bash and terminal windows, vim+terminals chads here.

emacs is bloat. I use vim bc I want a text editor not a web browser, email client, music player, irc client, and a fuckin operating system inside of my "text editor"

yeah i love vim+tmux's version of org mode. O wait

You are correct.

Been using Emacs for the last few months, I haven't had any issue with it.

What's the deal with people complaining about it?

Or you can just run M-x shell or M-x eshell and have your editor AND shell in one place.

Org-mode is Elder God Tier.

You can do most of it with terminal and cli tools
BUT
The whole point of integrating it to the editor (and if you're sanely configured, to have similar keybinds for similar tasks) is to have a unified, consistent, intuitive work environment. It's to make your muscle memory, configurations, and editing skills transferrables between projects languages and environments.
It's just more comfortable to not leave the program you're working in.
Tell me, for example, how you'd grep a function definition in a project, where it can be overloaded in multiple files, and then open the file containing the definition you want, all through a terminal?

>first time using unix-likes is in 1996 with sunOS
>vi is horrible, thankfully pico was installed
>now, in current year
>still type pico whatever.txt out of habit
>aliased to nano, always just werks

You're even dumber for using emacs,
nano > *

Emacs comes in handy on Windows where all the native tools are beyond garbage for text handling.

Nano is good but emacs seems more efficient to me

vim or vi are basically installed by default on any machine I work on, and I almost always work remotely on a development cluster.

I don't need to worry about asking my local neigborhood sysadmin to install emacs with all of my preferred snowflake settings. And I can avoid the plague that is nano.

Just use vanilla vim, with maybe a vimrc scp'd over.

Guile Emacs, get onboard the future train.

isn't guile emacs abandoned? last commit 2015

It’s done, all that needs to happen is speeding it up where it is slow. Everything seems to work.

Exactly.

This thread is full of brainlets that don't understand that any tool is fine as long as it is the tool you're most efficient with.

People still use VIM/EMACS becuase that's what they used 20 years ago. If you're just learning it now, you're a fucking brainlet, becuase there's no way its more efficient than using a modern text editor.

You'd have to burn in so much muscle memory and then realize you have to setup up your environment the same way on every computer you use, and you'll be just another autist in the eyes of sane people.

>not using plain old vi
Have fun with your bloat, faggots.

emacs and tramp mode blow that argument right out of the water.

Attached: 1518983009751.png (703x911, 76K)

another paid thread

can you do org mode in a terminal?

So I'm using spacemacs. A complete beginner, and having to learn the keybindings already.

Spacemacs however seems somewhat bloated. Is it possible to debloat spacemacs? All I really want is org-mode with sane ergonomic keybindings (spacemacs seems incredible in this respect), rather than this pinkie destroying bullshit that emacs comes with by default.

>using anything but vi

I tried both and disliked emacs less. Sam is comfy though. I wish I could figure out how to make it indent with spaces, but the windowing and mouse chording make it worth it.