/dpt/ - Daily Programming Thread

Old thread: What are you working on, Jow Forums?

Attached: 1544847735332.jpg (1280x720, 97K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C18_(C_standard_revision)
open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/abq/c17_updated_proposed_fdis.pdf
open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n2310.pdf
open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n2294.htm
di.ens.fr/~zappa/readings/c11comp.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Lisp is the second most powerful language next to C17.

C++ is to macros as IRS is to Poetry.

What is C17 you mean C++17?

mad lispfag incoming everyone hit the floor

FUCKING BASED AND REDPILLED.

Attached: 0934 - VSlc5Gv.jpg (499x499, 41K)

>he doesn't know about C17
user....

There is literally nothing wrong with C++, java, or python.

based yuno posters

C17 that fag from dragon ball?

Attached: 1479182503834.png (600x655, 673K)

I wonder how it feels to be wrong

He meant C18 (i hope)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C18_(C_standard_revision)

C17 is a minor "bugfix" release for C, to address a few issues in C11. It's sometimes referred to as C18 too.

dumb cat poster.
open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/abq/c17_updated_proposed_fdis.pdf

Just remember going to school.

(when (true) (print 'Wrong.'))

thanks

>when he tries to insult you in common lisp and doesn't even know the basic boolean keywords or the character for string literals.

Judging that you used single quotes, I can only imagine this is a javascript dev trying to pretend to be a lispfag.

Attached: .png (449x401, 490K)

so what I'm getting out of this is that they forgot to bump the version number so C18 is just C17 with the right version number. nice.

they really should have changed more than what they did. I would really REALLY like a rework of this shit here
int *a
should be
int* a

The early proposals were done in 2017, hence C17. It was finalized in 2018 so people refer to it as both C17 and C18. Most of the initial work for compilers were done with c17 and hence you would use it via --std=c17. I don't know if any of them updated to let you choose --std=c18 to mean the same .

Works on my machine I just changed the language :^)

>distingushing between " and '
i love this, never stop doing this
>having strings and not array of chars
this is bad, very bad poojeet

No, you're stupid.

There is a somewhat lengthy ratification process for ISO standardised.
They finished it in 2017, but it was not finalized and released until 2018.

Lisp is the most powerful programming language.

no u

autism.

A string is a string of chars that is terminated with a null.

>ISO standardised
ISO standards*

CL-USER> (type-of "asdf")
(SIMPLE-ARRAY CHARACTER (4))

>Python vs java
Who gives a fuck?

>brings up subject
>who cares
You do, apparently.

Pajeets

If you program at over iso 50 you're a fag

They really should have added improvements to the quality of life of the language.

no, fuck off. You can write it that way if you want, but don't force me to be retarded too.

>but don't force me to be retarded too.
kek

They're both retarded.

It was only a "bugfix" release. The next real standard is C2x, which is likely C21 or C22.

Java is an obsolete legacy language. Python is the most beautiful language and is going to be the most used and in demand very soon.

im sorry did you have an argument

Did you, other than your assertion of opinion?

>open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n2310.pdf
>Major changes from the previous edition include:
> added a one-argument version of _Static_assert

glad to see ISO is fast at work getting C2x ready

>these are the people in charge of the C standard

Attached: file.png (598x932, 196K)

Do you think you could do a better job?

sounds like a bunch of whiny faggots to be honest

This man is rustfag's worst nightmare.

Attached: file.png (593x70, 27K)

Can someone tell me which programming language is best to learn for someone wanting to get into cyber security?

Right now, I'm in the process of beginning to learning Python through a free program on Edx. Any recommendations?

> Currently going to school for Information Systems degree
> Just got a part time job as an IT help desk associate

Attached: 1544582929085.png (1023x991, 1.1M)

python

Really depends where you end up. If you're just going to be on an IT team helping monitor systems then any scripting language will get by.

If you're thinking of finding exploits, vulnerabilities, etc then you best be learning ASM variants, C, C++, etc.

C, ASM, JS
You'll also need to learn:
Databases, reverse engineering, networking, cryptography, and a myriad of other things.

We will never see proper exception handling in C with these people alive.

Attached: file.png (597x1643, 495K)

>ASM variants, C, C++
Thought about C, C++, but I've heard that they are pretty difficult languages to learn.

>Databases, reverse engineering, networking, cryptography, and a myriad of other things.
My Uni has a masters specializing in Cyber Security that I'm planning on attending that specifically hits on a few of these points. I'm sure I'll self teach anything they won't cover too.

> ASM
Hmm, never heard of this language either. An user above you mentioned it too. I'll look into it.

>python
Luckily I'm already learning it, lol.

i couldnt find an answer online so im going to ask you guys
basically im using the numpy module to numpy.append to a numpy array
only issue is im having issues with the "axis" value
im following it just as the documentation says but it keeps saying invalid syntax
any ideas?

>Hmm, never heard of this language either.
it's a common abbreviation of assembly, newfriend. And implicitly referring to the x64 variant most of the time.

C is dead simple.
C++ is another beast just because there is so much to it now at this point.
ASM refers to Assembly and it's specific to the architecture. Ie: x86, MIPS, ARM, etc

Does C have a functioning memory model yet?

All programming languages are just Lisps with varying degrees of acceptability.

Yes, there is sbrk().

Attached: 1525891708311.png (229x220, 6K)

I'm so glad you asked. C2x is revising the C memory model and you can read all about it here:
open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n2294.htm
:3

>it's a common abbreviation of assembly
>ASM refers to Assembly and it's specific to the architecture

Thank you two for answering my question. I also see a lot of suggestions for learning Linux and Unix. Can either of you tell me why it would be important to learn either of those OS's? I'm aware of them, but not familiar with either to be honest.

>Can either of you tell me why it would be important to learn either of those OS's?
Unix is the most popular kind of os on the planet.

All programming languages are just higher abstractions of machine code.

>no mention of concurrency
Oof.

Because any company who's not trash and cares about security will not be using Windows. And Linux is very prominent in the software world.
You'll probably never see actual Unix in the field, as Linux and BSD have taken over and inherited most of it anyway. But you'll probably run into a BSD* variant as well so it's worth learning too. FreeBSD is most popular, but OpenBSD is also growing.

Why would there be user? malloc and friends are already thread safe.

>C Memory Object Model
I see, so that page isn't about the full memory model. Still, C11's memory model is fundamentally broken when it comes to concurrency.

UNIX is more of a "way of thinking" at this point. If you're going to run into any "UNIX" OSs it's going to be like AIX, HP-UX, etc. Probably very few, rare, nothing to really leanr about them.
Linux is widely used in servers, and that's really where you'd be using python to script out stuff. Most security platforms and tools will need a Linux server to run on.

Windows also plays a huge deal in any big corporate company contrary to what says, but in reality you don't have to know shit about them because any good Security tools will do the vulnerability scanning for you regardless of OS.

Really it comes down to what you want to do for your job. Are you just in it for monitoring systems for a company, suggesting improvements to the architectures, ensuring your company is up to date, and so forth or are you wanting to be some kind of vulnerability finder, etc.

How so friend? Please indulge us so I can accurately reply based off your real complaints.

>arm chair NEET

>Common Compiler Optimisations are Invalid
in the C11 Memory Model
di.ens.fr/~zappa/readings/c11comp.pdf

I fell for the lisp meme and want to start doing real shit on it, any good books for getting gud?

Also,
>cannot assume that a program with no data races actually behaves sequentially
>cannot assume that an aborted speculative execution will have no side effects

Sounds pretty petty to be fair user. I'd imagine by now both GCC and clang also implemented their own fixes, which they are allowed to do since the C standard leaves a lot up to the compiler designers.

>the C standard allows compiler designers to break well defined (by the standard) programs with optimizations

Yes.

If it was a big deal it would have been fixed in C17. Also from your paper this applies to C++ too. In any case, members of GCC sit on the committee and even they don't seem to care about it since it's not even a talking point.

C is worthless without compilers

fucking update C already REEE
fucking whiny faggot cnile committee and their "obsolescence" fucking christ DO SOMETHING ALREADY

>he doesn't know about C18

I think you are missing the point. Do those compiler optimizations break programs in practice? No, because real hardware doesn't allow for the executions that would be affected by them (and probably never will). But the memory model is broken, because according to it, the answer is yes, a correct compiler should not perform these optimizations.

wow, it's like abstracted representations of the hardware have inaccuracies and the hardware isn't 100% perfect, yet neither of these things matter because they have miniscule impact relative to the more pertinent issue of program correctness.
who ever would have guessed.

Your problems will be formally addressed in C2x. The committee members on the Memory Model project have written articles about the issues of it as well and are aware of it. In the meantime, it's not a major issue and was not part of C17.

Fact: A good high quality post has NEVER been paired with a frog image, or a wojak image.
Therefore, I predict 95% hit rate if all frogposters and wojakposters were automatically banned for breaking global rule 6.
Prove me wrong.

I'd rather they move slowly than do whatever the C++ committee is doing. They've released C++11, C++14, and C++17, and soon C++20 in the time it's taken the industry to catch up with C++11. C++14 and C++17 in particular were both haphazard clusterfucks. At least the C standards committee takes the time to refine the standard before releasing it.

take your racism back to Jow Forums

Attached: dumb crow.png (657x527, 51K)

It's funny, since the C11 Memory Model that is upset about is a result of the C committee taking directly from C++11.

C++ ruined C.

Figure 1

That's off-topic, stupid faggot. I hope you get banned, cum guzzling retard.

Learn Lisp.

also, anime posters have the best quality posts on average. This is because they are generally friendly to other anons and post pertinent material alongside their anime images.

did some more work on my compiler today, parsing infix operations still takes fucking forever but at least I don't randomly stack overflow anymore.
Also released the first semi-usable version of my data plotting library for C. It's very primitive but it was fun to make and it spits out pretty pictures.
Yesterday I more-or-less finished my first-ever little webdev project. Did it in Python with Flask. Normally that stuff is really not my realm of expertise but it was a lot of fun to write and I wrote it all as a library decoupled from Flask that I can use what I made for future projects.
did a little maintenance stuff for my OS kernel, just tidying things and a little documentation. I want to get back to working on that project regularly, but I'm planning on completely rewriting it again since I have a better idea for what I want it to be now.
what about you, OP?

Attached: 1462128560034.png (1052x1342, 769K)

what kind of language are you making lad?

Attached: [Coalgirls]_Yuru_Yuri_03_(1280x720_Blu-Ray_FLAC)_[B25D1CAF].mkv_snapshot_04.11_[2018.07.11_06.39.05] (1280x720, 1.33M)

there is a report button to report froposters
report frogposters everytime you see them

Attached: snapshot_21.23.png (1920x1080, 3.13M)

>animeposters
>This is because they are generally friendly

LOL

Announcing reports is against the rules dumb animeposter.

>also, anime posters have the best quality posts on average.
Holy shit, murder yourself, faggot.

Does anyone know any good baremetal raspberry guides?

Attached: 0641 - TBjZ73O.png (398x409, 57K)

I'm trying to read through a txt file that has a bunch of points in (x,y) format using C++. What would be the best way to get the x and y's and make a graph[i][j]. I was thinking regex but I was wondering if there was a better way.

No report was announced, dumbass.

What exactly do you want to do with it, sharkposter?