Python Alternatives

What's the best Python alternative? I'd to find something easier to debug on a larger scale.

Attached: 1_vHUiXvBE0p0fLRwFHZuAYw.gif (500x500, 250K)

If you want something easy to debug on a large scale you don't want a scripting lang, since they're usually weak dynamic typing. Try something with strong static typing instead like Ada.

JavaScript, not even kidding

Ruby. It's like Python except better

Julia is pretty nice to work with, but if you want better debugging then go for a compiled lang. Perhaps try Go?

Other option is ES6 javascript with ESLint. ESLint is a hardass and wont let you run anything unless it gives you the ok.

>like python
>easier to debug
Something statically typed but designed for retards (like Python).
Maybe Go or Kotlin.

Ruby is basically Python but for people who wear penis locks
>Julia
this if you're a mathfag although their plotting libraries are not as strong as Pythons. you can call python libraries directly though so I guess that doesn't really matter.

Lua is an option, so is Ruby. Or even Java/Scala/Kotlin/..

Unironically Haskell

This. JavaScript is the worst scripting language, except for all the others.
Please use a language with real types whenever feasible though.

Haskell has a tendency to be an absolute arsepain to debug.

Perl

Javascript with nodejs

Wow. I like Haskell but it's really difficult to debug Haskell programs because of lazy evaluation.

and if you need types you can use typescript

lisp, duh

Lua

can confirm: the first person i met who used ruby was a trap no joke

typescript

- Ruby (everything is an object), a better Python;
- Lua (everything is a table), an interpreted C;
- Perl (everything is a mess), a regex machine.

Honest question, do you use print statements everywhere or do you use a debugger (i.e. any variant of gdb). I used to spend forever debugging when I didn't understand my ass from a hole in the ground using print statements everywhere.

Now I spend way less time debugging since I started doing more TDD style and got good at gdb (or language specific variants)

It's the best we got but it's not a real type system.

Not OP, but for me, the best language for debugging appeared to be Forth, you can decompose every step on another terminal on the fly to be sure. On the second pass everything is correct.

you answered the question in the image. go is fast (and static typed) python without the forced indent meme

>ruby is better than python

Attached: 1544128869004.png (606x357, 42K)

Julia - a streamlined version of Javascript
Dart - Java with Javascript features added
Go - Even though its compiled it can be used for scripting

Hm? Is he a Ruby dev?

Common Lisp.

Use Swift for scripting.

I think Swift actually runs interpreted in the playground, Id be curious if it could do actual scripting

go

It has a REPL so it totally can

Use type annotations in all your function declarations and it becomes 10 times easier to work with.
And I'd unironically recommend C#, now that .NET Core exists and works everywhere, but sadly Visual Studio works only on Windows, so you'd have to settle for Rider or be an autistic with a text editor if you use Linux. And the greatest ever GUI framework, WPF, will never be ported.
C# has lots of great new features (like pattern matching, language level tuples, type inference, ?. operator etc.), also the older stuff like LINQ is nice, and it's a mature platform. And best of all, you can easily combine it with F#, which is a great FP language, but not as autistic about purity as Haskell.

Do you guys think Go will become bigger and become used in more shit seeing as its pretty fast like embedded software, hardware, games etc. or will it stay webshit and Google will drop it in 2 years?

Attached: 1541793058250.gif (680x502, 179K)

Nim

He a java one

it'll stay webshit because that's what it's the best for, high level and hard to break. if you want fast, use Rust, Go struggled to get even Java performance which it fails to match a lot of the time.

google will replace Java with Go

screenshot this

I think this too, the balance in performance and abstraction seems to be what they're going for with Go.

Google and only google, Go just cant catch momentum

Python also has mypy which can enforce the same rules.

this

>Go just cant catch momentum
The number of Go developers doubled in the past year.

I can't believe this is real.

So there are 6 now?

>Alternative
Don't bother. Python is good at what it does, which isn't scaling. When you move past the proof of concept phase, switch over to something actually maintainable like C++. +/-

About a million.

Can confirm. I write python and my penis is huuge

Just add type hints to your code and validate with mypy

I'm glad I gave this guy $16 or whatever it was all those years ago.

VS Code exists now. You can use that for C# development on Linux.

VS Code has nothing to do with Visual Studio and is a garbage text editor which shouldn't be used by anyone but fizzbuzzers and webshits. And maybe for languages with no decent tools like Haskell.

No shit, asshole. VS isn't everywhere so C# development on Linux literally falls into your category of "languages with no decent tools" on that platform. I'd say VS Code is fine though. It's no Visual Studio, but it gets the job done, and it's definitely more than just a text editor.

Flow > typescript

But why use VS Code when you can use Rider?

ruby is a dead
lua is better than python but it's not trying to compete with python as a general purpose language
perl is dead

OCaml

I don’t understand what he’s trying to say.

Just put #!/usr/bin/swift at the top of your .swift file and make it executable. This actually works.

>For web dev
Go/Ruby/Javascript
>For scientific Computing
Julia/R/Memelab
>For general scripting
Go/Javascript

I prefer Mambas

Attached: Mamba_Dendroaspis_angusticeps.jpg (3000x2054, 3.25M)

use typehints + mypy on python3.6 and stop writing long shitty functions

problem solved!

Python is a strongly typed language my friend

>Go for anything
>not Swift

I support u swiftbro

Based and Swiftpilled

What's a good Swift IDE for Linux (besides CLion)?

Could you go in more detail about what you're ultimately trying to write?
What are the issues you're anticipating that make Python a bad choice?

>like Ada

Attached: adamascot.png (1553x1685, 196K)

duck typing is incompatible with strong typing.

>>ruby is better than python
This shouldn't be a controversial point. Ruby's object model is objectively better than Python's.

I personally use the logging lib with two handlers attached. One is responsible for logging everything into a file(debug messages and all) and the other one logs directly to stdout.

Anybody here an actual webdev?

I feel like everyone is a tutorial monkey

how else do you explain constant recommendations for ruby/python/node/go

My day job is systems and automation programming, but when I feel like it I bang on webshit using C#/vanilla js (with a little Vue when needed) for fun.
If feel like if I had to do it as a job I'd kms.

bash

im a weebdev

i weeb

and i dev on the side

also use erlang its the shit and the community has dank memes

Attached: 1453063847108.png (500x500, 416K)

Truly the devil's language.

Based and redpilled

C#

Try html

Same reason you can use geany over clion, depends on the project complexity

D

Depends on what you're using python for. Go is a good general purpose language. Julia is good for math and data science stuff.

duck typing is a sin