When is Jow Forums building their next pc and what is your reason for waiting for that specific time?

When is Jow Forums building their next pc and what is your reason for waiting for that specific time?

Attached: pc-buildout-2016-guide.jpg (1500x1000, 287K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6J7qnr0YNH8
youtube.com/watch?v=v5NDtS8za8g
hardwareluxx.de/community/f12/pga-am4-mainboard-vrm-liste-1155146.html
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Whenever my Core2 Quad shitbox dies or isn't fully supported by Linux anymore. So probably 15-20 years from now.

when the newest motherboard comes out for amd, the 570x

Waiting for 7nm GPUs and CPUs.

waiting for Ryzen next gen.

Just upgrade dude

>not waiting until they're out during black friday to save money

No. Fuck off.

Attached: f57.jpg (640x640, 36K)

>When is Jow Forums building their next pc
Late Q1 2019
>and what is your reason for waiting for that specific time?
That's when I'll be able to purchase the motherboard.

Still no configuration that can run 4k@144fps reliably.

>save money
im buying it second hand from some reviewer

enjoy your no warranty *dab

Poverty mostly, there's always something more urgent to spend my money on.

Still happy with my haswel ans ivy bridge shitboxes. I think I'll hold out for a year or two longer, whenever PCIE4, DDR5 and whatever the fuck low latency SSD (like xpoint) becomes standard fare. Or maybe I'll build a mid range Zen2 box to replace my IB.

>muh warranty meme
>in a CPU
I only care about warranty in Mobos bc those shits always come with something fucked. Had lots of CPUs since Pentium 4 and never needed to RMA one

I'll build new PC when:
- DDR 5 RAM becomes a thing
- PCIE 5
- AMD releases high end GPU
I need nothing more.

>When is Jow Forums building their next pc
When my current one dies

>what is your reason for waiting for that specific time?
I'm not a gaymer consumerist brainlet and I actually use my computer as a tool.

>waiting for new AMD chip
>waiting for new AMD mobo
>waiting for proper 4k 144hz gpu, maybe Titan RTX
>waiting for SSDs to reach 5tb capacity for consumers

>using computer as a tool
Redpill me on this

The same this I say every time this question comes up, Pinky.
The next CPU/GPU cycle that doesn't suck.

when i'll have spare money to waste, because i don't have spare money to waste
my i5 4c/4t 3.40Ghz does most of the things i need anyway

>my i5 does most of the things I need anyway
Aren't post-sandy bridge computers boring? They're just so hard to justify a ground-up replacement.

desu my Ivy Bridge box is starting to show its age. 3770k overclocked to 4.5GHz, and while it's not "struggling" to run stuff, some of the tasks I do are more than twice as fast on modern counterparts. It's "ok", not "great".

I have a i5 6600k, 16GB DDR4 and a GTX 1070, I feel no need at all to upgrade right now, even if I'm really curious about the Zen 2 stuff. If they're really as good as (((rumored))), I might upgrade during 2020 black friday.

prbly never desu, just gonna keep updating the one i have.

I might replace my R7 1700 next year or whenever the next process improvement happens. Otherwise I have no reason to upgrade my hardware.

I am running a 1060 and a 2500k@4,8 GHz. I have been planning to upgrade for the last 2 years, but this fucking 8 year old CPU still runs perfectly fine for my needs.

AMD FX4130 (4c 3.8GHz) is already more than I need and so is the AMD 7850 2gb. Not likely to upgrade until this system dies. At most I will replace the power supply.

I get that. My 7700hq laptop is as fast as my 2600k desktop for medium lengths of time. I could probably get double single core performance and even more multi-core performance improvements by upgrading. The only real sticking point is that I literally never do anything that makes me think "if only I had a faster CPU this wouldn't take so long". I have zero performance complaints outside of GPU bottlenecks. I use brand new PC at work, much higher specs outside of GPU, and I certainly don't notice any significant improvements despite being much faster on paper.

September would fit right into my four year cycle, but I'm willing to wait until late next year for 7nm CPUs and GPUs at a decent price.

datamining thread

Zen 2. It won't be building a PC though really. Just swapping out my 2700X and Crosshair VI for a new chip and board. ANUS have basically given up supporting the Crosshair VI and refuse to fix bugs, so I don't want to be stuck with it for another generation. Won't be buying their shit again.

Whenever hardware arrives that allows Rainbow 6 at 4K 144.

i was a loyal asus shill until i tried their ryzen mobos

fuck asus

Honestly might order some parts today if I can find a deal (whether new or probably used on eBay) for ryzen because I've been wanting to check it out since it came out. No clue on specifics, have xeon 1231v3 with 32 gb of ram, which is more than I need so not looking at replacing my main, just wanna replace a i3-4170 build that I don't use for anything. Haven't used AMD for years and wanna see how linux compat is.

I feel the same way about Gigabyte. I had a GA-990FXA-UD3 and it was fucking GOAT, but their modern boards are absolute trash.

What models did you guys try?

I am waiting for the next standardized output resolution. Right now 1080 is standard and it's not clear what resolution will be the next step.

I helped a friend and he had a GA-AX370-GAMING K5. The UEFI was shit, the board was covered in gay ass LED shit, their VRMs are some of the worst available at the high end (although their mid range is about equivalent to everyone else's mid range), and to top it all off it died after a few months of use.

After that shitshow I ended up buying a MSI X370 GAMING PRO CARBON for myself and I have no complaints.

There's no point in anything higher than 1080p

No such thing. DP 1.4 only support compression and there is no gpus with hdmi 2.1.

I actually have no idea. My r5 1600 werks perfectly for my needs and my old r9 380 good enough for 1080p@60fps at mid settings since i don't give a shit about graphics. Maybe i'll replace 1600 with 3700x and 380 with navi.

When I want my computer to do something and it can't do it.
Hoping there's a decent alternative to W10 by that time. I'd have made the move to Linux already if I didn't play a handful of games, some with friends.

install gentoo and qemu/kvm

What problems do you have with Gigabyte's modern boards? They have objectively the best VRM cooling on their high end X470 and Z390 boards and their BIOS has all the functionality you need, even if it is ugly.

When I'm not a NEET and could save up to buy newest gen of computer.

The UEFI was ugly and the location of most of the settings is non-obvious. Their VRM cooling may be good but the VRMs themselves suck, and the gay LEDs between the DIMMs just make me cringe.

>Their VRM cooling may be good but the VRMs themselves suck
That's complete bullshit though. Their VRMs are great on their X470 and Z390 boards. Gigabyte were all over Buildzoid's breakdown of the best VRMs you can possibly get on Z390, with the Aorus Xtreme being hands down THE best VRM available.

youtube.com/watch?v=6J7qnr0YNH8

Your information is out of date, dude. Also a friendly reminder that aesthetics are NOT a valid reason for disliking a board. If you have a windowed case, you are the exact gaymer trash that should be buying gaudy, LED-ridden boards (and keeping them on, rather than quitting your bitching and just turning it all off with two clicks in the BIOS).

>Their VRM cooling may be good but the VRMs themselves suck
That's complete bullshit though. Their VRMs are great on their X470 and Z390 boards. Gigabyte were all over Buildzoid's breakdown of the best VRMs you can possibly get on Z390, with the Aorus Xtreme being hands down THE best VRM available.

youtube.com/watch?v=v5NDtS8za8g

Your information is out of date, dude. Also a friendly reminder that aesthetics are NOT a valid reason for disliking a board. If you have a windowed case, you are the exact gaymer trash that should be buying gaudy, LED-ridden boards (and keeping them on, rather than quitting your bitching and just turning it all off with two clicks in the BIOS).

>rows of LEDs between DIMMs is NOT a valid complaint
Yeah, fuck you too buddy

Gigabyte used the exact same VRMs on every B350 and X370 board they produced except their $200 top-tier K7 board, which actually had decent VRMs, and they did the same with the X470 boards. Gigabyte will only give you good VRMs if you're willing to shell out $180-200 for the all-out overclocker's board, whereas you can get excellent VRMs from other brands in the $120-140 range.

>Z390
Fuck outta here with that Intel trash

>I know I'm wrong but I'll keep arguing anyway
Fuck off, retard. Turn the LEDs off, buy a non-windowed case or shut the fuck up. And your comment about VRMs is objectively bullshit once again, including about their X370 boards. The Gaming 5 and the Gaming 7 both had the exact same (decent) VRM setup.
hardwareluxx.de/community/f12/pga-am4-mainboard-vrm-liste-1155146.html
Tired of being BTFO yet, or would you like to talk about your feefees about Gigabyte boards some more, regardless of the facts?
>Fuck outta here with that Intel trash
>N-No!!! Stop mentioning things that prove me wong!!!!!!!
I don't care about Z390 personally, but we're talking about the quality of Gigabyte's motherboards, not platform wars. Their Z390 boards are objectively the best (and the best value for what you get, as proven by Buildzoid), further making you look dumb as fuck for claiming Gigabyte's boards are bad.

Stay rekt, kid. Nice reddit spacing btw.

Attached: smug anime slut.jpg (490x480, 23K)

The Gaming 5 and Gaming K7 boards had the same VRM. The Gaming K5 did not, and both the Gaming 5 and Gaming K7 were $180+ with BCLK generator and all.

>shitty orange LEDs covering half the board
>not a valid complaint
And he says I'm the retard...

>N-No!! Stop mentioning things that prove me wong!!!!!!!
The guy I originally replied to referred to Ryzen boards specifically, and I know nothing about Z390 VRMs because I haven't had any interest in Intel hardware for years.

I've never even been to Reddit. Delete your account, kiddo.

just built it early this year after 8 years of phenom.

Your pc should be use for answering mails, gathering info on the internet or programming if you're a programmer.

1440p is comfy

Probably 5 years or so, I don't think there'll be meaningful benefits if I upgrade earlier, especially when I play less and less vidya

why would he?

I just moved my PC into a rack mount case last week. Does that count?

I might build my current PC into a new case soon.
I want something better looking and with a bit better airflow.

Currently on a Define R5, looking at something like a Meshify C.
Want a bit smaller system.
Currently having to balance between size, airflow and noise.
Don't want my new case to be much noisier.

Think mATX would be great looking, but cant imagine it being as quiet.

8700k aircooled with 1080ti btw

Are you answering mails or gathering information from Jow Forums right now user?
If you only use your PC for very serius imbordandt sduff then you are the tool.

When the next customer comes in and needs a new PC built.

Slowly gathering parts for a zen 2 build once it's available.
Things I already have:
>Case
>4 140mm fans
>gtx 1080 which will carry over
>RAM
Things I need to get or might need to wait for:
>nh-c14s
>suitable mobo for oc
>the cpu itself, probably 3600 unless the 3700 range is as good as the leaks imply
>psu with appropriate wattage after deciding all the rest

Attached: 1544743478875.png (640x480, 330K)

When flagship GPUs get less than £200 I'll upgrade

Probably next month, when my paycheck arrives. It will be a comfy build with a budget Athlon 200ge, and if I need an upgrade for more serious stuff, I'll upgrade to Ryzen, or Ryzen 2 sometime next year.

I haven't built a new PC in years. I just switch parts from my current build when I need to.

Probably when 4th gen ryzen comes along. My current system runs anything comfortably but I could use the extra cores for After Effects and straight up video encoding.

Oy vey

probably zen 3000 series
as to why, that would be because I'm a smart individual

Idk, my GPU died in February and I'm still holding off.

>when
Who knows
>reason
It works

New PC when my current one no longer is performing to the standard I expect.

It was going to be whenever ES6 gets released, but considering Bethesda's massive recent showing of incompetence, it might be never. I honestly think I might be done with vidya.

2077, bannerlord and imperator gives me hope for the future of gaymes

maek it 40 moar

Waiting for Zen 2. Not even sure why I want a new computer but I've always had one around for the occasional game or something

Whichever comes sooner:
a) current one dies, or
b) current one earns retirement rights (2029)
20 years of service is a good run for a PC I'd think.

Before christmas, as soon as I get parts for my threadripper build delivered.

when it dies. Can just change the graphics card if i need something better. Poozen 1600x should last a while

when new cpu it will be 2x faster in single core than my 2500k and under 300usd
never

Im posting from my phone. Oh yeah I'm the tool, I'm the one paying 1200$ to play video games even thought there are thousands of free roms you get get online that will run on a 30$ PC. I'm the one spending my money on a virtual steam library that I dont even own oh yeah I'm clearly the tool here.

Brainlet.