/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Stupid question thread. "Non-sperg" edition.
Ask your stupid questions here.

Previous thread
>Read
>GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Programming questions?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>How to activate any version of windows?
>Where can I get Win 7 or LTSB?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Attached: 1543597022986.gif (500x348, 478K)

Other urls found in this thread:

evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-5173-KR
neon.kde.org
ubuntu.com/download/desktop
software.opensuse.org
rocketjumpninja.com/mouse-reviews/
github.com/torvalds
amazon.com/Tontec-Touchscreen-AT070TN90-Raspberry-Screen/dp/B00HI7XQEK/
elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v4.11.12/source/Documentation/input/multi-touch-protocol.txt
askubuntu.com/questions/149242/is-it-possible-to-power-up-ports-on-a-usb-hub-from-ubuntu
chocolatey.org/packages/nvidia-display-driver
twitter.com/AnonBabble

evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-5173-KR

I have this card and I can't find the way to turn on the front panel leds, only the side panel "EVGA GEFORCE GTX1070" work.
I tried EVGA Precision OCX and NVIDIA Led Visualizer but neither helped.
Any ideas?

how do I get a gf?

What's a good volume control software for Win10 that uses hotkeys or mouse controls? Volume2 doesn't work on Win10 and my laptop's volume keys use some alt combination that is annoying to use.

Any suggestions for a gaming mouse? Has anyone used the Steel Series Rival 600 or Logitech G502? Those are the two mouses I've been looking at recently.

There was a "motioninterpolation.py" somewhere that allowed you convert videos in to 60fps with a bash script
I cant find it anywhere on the internet.
Where the fuck is it? i checked a few of the archived threads but its not there.

>mouses

Have started to notice that when the downstairs lights are dimmed my PSU starts to buzz.
I have absolutely no knowledge of electrical engineering but is there a basic explanation for why this happens?
My PSU is plugged directly in to the mains.

I have G502 and it's worked great for years for me. Was able to setup a bunch of macros for everyday use and then gaming macros on a different profile using the logitech software too. I'd recommend it although I can't give a comparison to your other option.

My VMware Workstation 15 stopped working after installing the latest kernel. It tells me it can't find the vmci module. Using modprobe vmw_vmci works, but does not resolve the issue. When I try vmware-modconfig --console --install-all it returns failed to start virtual machine communication interface.

Anybody has an idea how to fix this? I really need VMware to work right now desu

Attached: yotsuba-cry.jpg (377x378, 40K)

What's a good Linux OS should I get? I'm sick of win10 and want to move to Linux but don't know what to get. Any recommendations for a beginner? Also I own a T420 if that helps

Yours truly, A 1st year CS pleb

Mint.

neon.kde.org

Alternatives
ubuntu.com/download/desktop
software.opensuse.org - Choose leap

Don't believe the retards who will recommend you the steaming pile of trash that is Linux Mint

I can second this. G502 is really amazing.

Is there a way to resolve a specific domain via specific DNS server? Cloudflare DNS won't resolve archive.is so I want to use GoogleDNS for archive.is only.
I think it can be done through dnsmasq.conf/server on my router but I'm not sure what the syntax is there.
You can also look here
rocketjumpninja.com/mouse-reviews/

I haven't assembled a PC in a while, and I've forgotten how to do parts of the wiring. My system panel connectors (led+/led-/HDD led/power sw) are on a really short cable (c. 3 inches) and I have no clue where to plug the other end that has six pins sticking out.

Friend wants an ultrabook for engineering, anyone got any suggestions on what's a good choice?

just be yourself

Any ways to use Steam without it spying on all your shit and being a general nag/bloatware?
Can you run it in a sandbox? Or how about using it in a virtual machine and then copy the games into your real machine? Does that work?

Never ever had a Steam account, but it's getting very hard to resist

Attached: 1515835669100.jpg (838x559, 29K)

>Any ways to use Steam without it spying on all your shit and being a general nag/bloatware?
With a mindset like this you're better off using GoG instead.

Did you reinstall vmware?
You have to redo the modules on version bump.
Use dkms packages

I have not reinstalled vmware. I'd prefer not to because it took me ages to actually get it to work the first time. I am not on Ubuntu unfortunately, so I can't use the dkms packages.

I did notice that my linux-headers are out of date, maybe this has something to do with it. I plan on waiting for the updated linux-headers, and if that does not resolve the issue, I'll reinstall.

Even if you did, you wouldnt lose your configuration options or your disk images.It would simply reinstallthe binary and load the modules
You need to add the vmware modules to your new kernel modules folder.

Thanks.

Desk speaker recommendations?

Recently, I've started having problems with connecting to a wifi with my laptop. It uses Wireless-AC 8260 card and every time I try to connect to a wifi network it starts connecting, then resets the card (see pic), connects for 1-2 pings and disconnects.

Using an old wifi driver 18.12.2.2 from 2015 makes it possible to stay connected for longer time, but whenever traffic spikes I get disconnected again.

It only does it on this laptop on this wifi. Connecting to other wifis works without problems. Desktop PC connected via ethernet to the same network works without any issues. Phones connected to the same wifi works without any problems.

Attached: paint.png (1920x983, 162K)

I reinstalled it and it works again! This means I have to reinstall it everytime I update my kernel, right? There is no way to do this without reinstalling?

Thanks for helping me out user

Attached: awwshit.jpg (569x768, 134K)

Correct, you have to reinstall the vmware modules after every kernel update, and anything else, such as nvidia drivers, or wifi driversetc. They have to be added to the new kernels module folder. Because you only installed the kernel,which creates a new versioned folder in the modules folder.
On most distros you have a dkms package for these modules that hooks in to the kernel install and reinstalls, i've never use ubuntu, but i dont see why this same functionality would be prohibited from working in ubuntu

Looking to get an external bluray player for my PC.

Can anyone recommend me something with decent quality? Basic google search is finding me ones in the $80-100 price range but I'm seeing a lot of negative reviews on build quality and driver software issues

maybe set something up with ahk?

Where can I attend a distance course on laser printer maintenance?

Attached: HP_LaserJet_1020_Plus_Printer.jpg (660x330, 21K)

What's the deal with DirectConnect/DC++? Is it like a new usenet?

I have bunch of text files (over 50) where I need to delete lines starting with a specific symbol
is there some one line bash script or something like that to do this

Attached: 1542685485433.png (256x256, 119K)

yes

A good dicking or getting good dicked?

both

can you teach me?

Attached: 1543302102716.jpg (720x720, 91K)

no

thanks anyway

sed '/^#/ d'
This deletes all lines starting with a #. It will only output the result. If you are sure you want to write it to your file, add '-i' after 'sed'.
This took my 5 seconds to Google by the way ...

thank you >

Any other partitions I should be paranoid about? I realize this is mostly futile but it can expose lazy hacks.

Attached: 2018-12-18-225301_3840x2160_scrot.png (1079x1433, 217K)

Sorry, android partitions that is.

Attached: 1540148056482.png (1468x547, 679K)

what does a successful/professional github look like in assisting to get a job?
if anyone has examples or advice on this topic please reply
thank you!

Attached: birb21.gif (250x250, 1.9M)

I fell down some stairs yesterday and fucked up my S7 edge, the screen has a slight green tint and it blinks and flickers like crazy. At the "impact point" there's like a black smudge of what I'm assuming is screenbleed. What component could have gotten fucked up and is it worth to try and repair it myself?

Noob question. I have download some software in the form of tar.bz2 and unarchived it. It's now a folder of 10 files. How do I proceed from here to install the software? Using Lubuntu.

Attached: 1545151895699.png (641x318, 65K)

>8TB external had 80GB left
>Add 40GB data
>Explorer says it now has 140GB left
>Disk check shows no problems

Don't recall having anything in Recycle Bin. What else could have caused the capacity to be recalculated?

github.com/torvalds

I need to heat my apartment for the winter. I am mining Ethereum but my GPU is not producing enough heat enough quickly. Is there something I could strangle my CPU with?

Icons only missing on desktop, how do i fix this?

Attached: Screenshot_iconsmissing.png (1366x768, 788K)

What's more effective, selling my 1070 and buying a 1080 or buying a second 1070?

Any tips of physical hardware protection?
Theres been a string of burglaries, theft and even robberies in my area and I want to protect my stuff

Googling only gives me dumb advice like lock your doors and puut a password on your PC.

encryption is a given but ideally, Id like to make my compturer be very hard to remove from the desk.

Hello, I was wondering if any of you know of any touch screen panels(no LCD, just the touch) that are multi touch and can measure applied pressure to the point(pressure sensitive)
I've stumbled upon stuff like AD7879, but I'm not sure if it would somehow work with Raspberry Pi
I've found this amazon.com/Tontec-Touchscreen-AT070TN90-Raspberry-Screen/dp/B00HI7XQEK/ but there's nothing said about it being to read pressure, although as I understand from elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v4.11.12/source/Documentation/input/multi-touch-protocol.txt there's a chance that it might have that?
I'm sorry if this is confusing, I'm not that bright

Just got to unlock the damn bootloader for the P20 PRO and I am going to install a custom ROM on it, but I have no idea what type since it's been years since I've done it.

Running android 8.1.0 with build number CTL-L29 8.1.0.152(C432) so which of the zip/rar file do I need to flash?

Attached: 1521019412612.png (2112x1102, 109K)

Fuck I am stupid, it's "P20_P20P_152_3_Kangvip.zip" no?

Attached: 1530025269665.jpg (540x516, 21K)

WDC, Toshiba, or Seagate for HDD, Jow Forums?

Attached: 1544544854043.png (779x309, 239K)

WDC

A quicky
Need to install a torrent client on a friend's laptop, catch is he only uses utorrent and I havent touched it since forever, what was the last sane release, 2.2.1?

Why, if I may ask? I thought Toshiba is famous for its long-lasting devices? Or is it not the case with their HDD? Their prices are about the same.

Bolt it the fuck down. Straight through the motherboard.

Any recommended font manager for windows?? I need it to:
*Be Gratis.
*Check multiple folders for fonts.
*Check and delete duplicates & errors.
*Be able to handle 15000+ fonts.
*Preferably be able to classify fonts by character set/lang.

need your help, Jow Forums.
I'm going to buy a new laptop, and saw several shit that I don't understand like that Intel Optane meme.
So, which one is a better deal:
>12 gb of ram and 1 TB
>4 gb of ram + 16 gb of intel optane and 1 TB
There's another more expensive option of 8 gb of ram + 16 of intel optane and 1 TB
>8gb of ram, 1 TB +128 SSD
I only use my computer for normie shit like Microsoft Office, watching films, youtube, downloading torrents, etc. so i don't care about streaming and all that shit
Also, which brand is better between
>Asus
>Acer
>Lenovo
Pls respond

Why do you ask something you already know the answer for?? Look at me, don't you realize how ridiculous that is??
Any other sq??

techPulse120 produces good Blu-Ray players. Don't know if they ship outside the EU though.

What brand of SSD is the hot shit right now? On Amazon there are half a dozen brands offering 1TB SSDs in the $120-150 price range.

ADATA for budget, Samsung for high end.

Pretty please?

The difference is literally $20. I'll just go with this one, I guess.

Attached: samsumg ssd.png (797x449, 83K)

Solid choice.

Im about to start tearing my fucking hair out here lads

Why does my connection go to 0 every second, then uo to like 10mb, then drop again next second, i habe never seen anything as shit as this before

Attached: Screenshot_20181218-192345.jpg (2190x1080, 1.67M)

when I connect my phone to my computer via USB, my phone gets charged, but there's no data connection (tried it with multiple cables, PCs already and checked the USB settings too)
my phone does get charged tho
so will giving the phone to a repair shop and letting them change the micro USB port to a new one help here or what could be the problem?
thanks in advance

dunno if this is the case for you but I know tracphone used to cut the traces for the data connection to prevent tampering. I don't think they do it anymore but if you're using some sort of prepaid phone that might be the case

Is there a way to switch off an individual USB port easily via only software? I have this backlight for my monitor that I obviously don't want enabled 24/7 (my desktop provides USB power even when the whole thing is off), but it's a real pain reaching and fumbling around for the right cable every single time I want to toggle it. I don't want a physical USB switch because that presents almost exactly the same problem. Windows doesn't give me the ability to disable it in software alone, so I assume I'll need some kind of hardware extension that allows for this. Any recommendations?

Attached: 1620_01[1].jpg (1200x900, 258K)

disable that port in device manager?

new computer
doesnt seem to recognize the gpu
couldnt install drivers because none of the disks did
im downloading nvidia experience atm but it will literally take 5 hours because their website is shit

is there ssomething else i can do?

Can't do that, Windows doesn't give me the option, like I said. It doesn't even recognize that it's plugged in. I think it's because it's not a real device -- it just sucks power from the USB port and doesn't use the data traces at all.

More than likely not. You can do it with a hub though: askubuntu.com/questions/149242/is-it-possible-to-power-up-ports-on-a-usb-hub-from-ubuntu

>couldn't install drivers because none of the disks did
tell me you weren't just relying on autorun

the issue is the backlight being on when the pc is off? if so there should be an option about providing power over usb when the pc is off

>tell me you weren't just relying on autorun
idk im used to amd it just installs automatically
does nvidia really rely on customers going to their website to download updates?

no, what I mean is insert the disk, and there should be an exe to run

If you're gonna use Windows at least use a package manager: chocolatey.org/packages/nvidia-display-driver

Download from the manufacturer (probably not nvidia) website or through windows.

oh no lol i already installed everything on the disks, there was no driver update of any sort
hopefully this will download faster thanks mate

explain the lisp meme, I don't know anything about the language

should i trust a wd green from 2008 with 3 months uptime to back up anything?

so long as it's not your only copy then sure why not

Is there a good app or desktop software to store passwords for my mom who keeps forgetting them constantly? I don't think teaching her any sort of encryption with a notepad will work since she will probably just forget that password too.

keepassx

What's the best way now to activate Windows 10 LTSC?

Will anything happen if i'm uploading a torrent. I know ISP's will sometimes throttle you or send you letters of complaint if you download without a VPN but will anything happens if i just upload torrents without a VPN.

MStoolkit. I wouldn't though. It's still pretty beta-y

what is the best way for automated website is it c# and Selenium I want to log into a website and auto message someone.

I'm sure you checked, but you never know: if it's Android you have to log on to your phone and change the connection type to "Transfer files" or something along those lines

Pretty pretty please?

What is a reliable security program? I have 8.1 if that matters at all. Norton trolls can step off.

I use AVG, it seems p gud.

Because it's only a hearsay I heard when I was still a college student, and I want to confirm it? Besides, what I heard about was Toshiba laptops being resilient, and not specifically their 3.5" internal HDD.

On the offchance someone has encountered this problem:

Everytime I use Jdownloader 2 to download something off Mega, it always halts mere percentages before finishing, and returns the error in pic related.

What am I doing wrong?

Attached: megaupload.png (1206x292, 43K)

I'm trying to customize my Linux But I don't know shit about DEs WMs or SMs only know that gnome3 is preposterously horrible.

I've read the wiki and there seems to be several options to pick from but where do I start?

I tried uninstalling gnome after installing kde but it fucked my system and had to start again

Holy fuck the backlight bleed is really bad on this IPS i just bought, and i JUST fucking rma'd it for some weird discolouration last week. Even that panel had bad backlight bleed but this just is fucking abysmal, you can't tell until you load up a movie and it just slams you right in the face. Is this normal for IPS monitors? I kind of remember it on my old one i had awhile ago.

Attached: IMG_20181218_163045.jpg (1920x1440, 481K)