/wdg/ - Web Development General

What's everybody working on?

Previous thread: >COMPLETE BEGINNERS GUIDE
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap

>Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction (independent of your browser choice)
freecodecamp.org
codecademy.com
hackr.io
theodinproject.com/

>Further resources
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap - Frontend+Backend learner-path suggestions
youtube.com/watch?v=Zftx68K-1D4x

jsfiddle.net - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your HTML/CSS/JS
3v4l.org/ - Use this and post a link, if you need help with PHP/HackLang

>PHP resources
pastebin.com/gfBPg24A

Attached: wdg_smug_cat.png (960x540, 781K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/rendora/rendora
lausanonymous.com
warosu.org/g/thread/65029370#p65034692
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craigslist_Inc._v._3Taps_Inc.
github.com/Microsoft/onnxjs
ux.stackexchange.com/a/35847
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I have a phone interview in 10 minutes. Probably gonna fuck it up

Attached: shrug_emoticon_waifu.jpg (820x901, 371K)

What are you applying for?

>What are you applying for?
Google

don't give up,maybe you'll get offered a helpdesk job like me
Most of the time I am doing nothing but posting on Jow Forums (phoneposting).

I am a Google, too.

what's the easiest way to copy a website design?
is there any way to reverse search for wordpress/wix premade themes or something like that?

and before anyone asks, the client was stupid enough to lose his password to his database and wants me to do some modifications to the design anyways. Therefore, I wanna clone the website, modify and reupload on a different server.

>tard question

How do you sum data from two different columns and save it into a third one in Django? I swear this shouldn't be this complicated

>client
>lying on the internet

in pstgres:
select sum(firstcol),sum(secondcol),sum(sum(firstcol)+sum(secondcol))
from tablename
but you might have a problem with sum(sum()), in that case you have a particular way to do it google it

>Mozilla

Attached: nice alpha.png (834x127, 8K)

How would you rate pic related in comfiness? Thinking of switching to it at my job since we're running low on back-end work.

Attached: angular-typescript.png (800x488, 124K)

How do I use Google to find out what company you're applying for?

Typescript is great. Angular is alright but has quite a lot of concepts unique to it.

yes, what a crazy idea that business owners don't know how to deal with tech. Obviously, they save all their passwords securely.

Have you ever talked to a non-tech person?

is this thing the future for ssr?
github.com/rendora/rendora

I am tired of all the react ssr shitshow but this looks innovative and too good to be true

my business saves all passwords in plain text, because hackers don't expect it at all.

based

Who wins the web battle in the next years?

Attached: JSvsWebAssembly.png (932x524, 159K)

again this shit, WA is not meant to replace JS in the first place. It's used for acceleration to improve performance not to write complete high level programs you retard

woah

Ah yes, sure

>Blocks your path

Attached: 241411414412.png (1240x700, 13K)

What book is best for learning JS?

Attached: 2479.gif (480x360, 12K)

Udemy courses

When developing do you use a local database or do you just go straight to a cloud database? What database do you use?

if your familiar with the basics of JS then
eloquent javascript third edition,but be forewarned,it goes from "0-testicle bashing" really quick

local first
then any cloud service like AWS or Azure
depending on the project, Postgresql, MongoDB, MySQL, SQL Server 20XX

Had my tour of different front-end technologies the past couple of years. I'd rate them in terms of comfiness as follows:

Elm > Angular > Vue > Ember > React > Angular.js

There are anons who will say Angular is difficult, tedious, and has a learning cliff.
However having an opinionated framework that forces a consistent structure on your project while providing type safety means development is going to smoother sailing. It's also "batteries-included" so most of the common features you'd need to implement will likely already have a solution built-in. Unlike with other javascript front-ends where you'd need to either implement it yourself or look for a 3rd party-library.
Typescript not that hard to learn too, and you'd probably want to learn it eventually anyways.

Attached: aia.jpg (720x902, 217K)

Web Assembly is for building complex applications on the web
It's a Java applet, and Flash replacement. Not a javascript replacement.

So is firefox just completely incapable of letting me load a local file through an extension now or something? I can't even set my homepage to a local file...

>I can't even set my homepage to a local file...
this ended in previous version. they removed this option.

what's the best free alternative to phpstorm?

hardmode: no netbeans

Quick question. I've currently been a NEET for a few years now because of mental illness issues and depression. I've worked shared economy jobs like Uber and Grubhub part-time just to pay my taxes and contribute to society as much as I can for the past 3 years but I still have huge employment gaps as I'm 31 years old atm.

Over these years I've done a lot of programming on my own, mostly web dev stuff. I wrote an NPM package for a browserify plugin a few years ago and a few other projects like a hacker news clone that has 20+ stars on github.

Right now I'm scraping data with puppeteer from sports betting sites and plan on making a web app that has nice charts and displays how teams have covered spreads during the season and possibly a dashboard for people to follow their favorite teams to see how they perform against the spread. I'll probably use react for the front end and express / postgresql / redis on the back end to scrape and store data. Maybe even use Nginx to reverse proxy and HTTPS.

Would this app and some of the other little projects I've made be enough to apply for a job?

My employment gap is horrific the past 10 years and I have no college degree. I just don't know what to put on my resume besides these shared economy jobs and my shitty projects I've built.

Any advice would be appreciated anons.

Effective JavaScript was the book that really taught me, but this was before es6. I still recommend it as it's incredibly informative. This is coming from someone who read just about every Zakas, Crockford, and all the classics.

A portfolio of nice projects should be enough, also is scraping from other sites even legal?

Attached: 823121853782513.gif (460x258, 1.64M)

>Sites make non-confidential data publicly available on the internet
>"Is it legal to use this data?"

Attached: 1542192484304.jpg (853x480, 53K)

I made an anonymous streaming chat

lausanonymous.com

I need to see how many simultaneous users it can handle. It’s made with php/js for the lulz and educational reasons

Attached: C1088CC2-2935-4C3D-B8F6-44D522F5DA39.png (1536x1841, 1.62M)

What do you think would be a better field to enter without a degree: web development or IT?

Attached: howhigh.jpg (498x692, 311K)

It depends. IT in general is very broad, so you can get into it quicker. If you just learn Java you can already find a job. For some IT jobs you don't even have to know anything and can just get trained to manage a few applications, while still getting paid pretty well.

Web development takes a bit longer to learn if you just want a job. But the up side is that it's less mind numbing. And you can easier start for yourself if you can't find a job. And it's easier to make your own products if there is something you always wanted to make.

Honestly, I'm mainly looking at it from a perspective of making the most amount of money in this field. Something that worries me is that I've read later on in an IT career, you'll hit a glass ceiling without a degree. Regular programming interests me the most I'd say, especially the idea of working for a game developer (I know it's a rough area to work in), I'm just indecisive when it comes to picking a language, and I've been hearing that you'll face the same problem without a degree. It's hard not feeling hopeless.

No boss is going to make you rich. If you want to make money, you have to make your own money. Preferably by using employees to do your job or creating a product that you can sell a million times.

And you can forget about becoming a game developer. Nobody is going to hire you. Unless you made a game yourself already and have decent art skills.

I don't really care about being rich, I just want to make enough to support my hobbies and potentially start a family. Also, there's more jobs at a game development company than just game development.

pirating phpstorm

> I'm mainly looking at it from a perspective of making the most amount of money in this field.
>Something that worries me is that I've read later on in an IT career, you'll hit a glass ceiling without a degree
>Regular programming interests me the most I'd say, especially the idea of working for a game developer
5 seconds later
>I don't really care about being rich, I just want to make enough to support my hobbies
>Also, there's more jobs at a game development company than just game development
Make up your mind.

Working for a game developer, not being a game developer. Obviously, I'm concerned about money, but anything after $70,000 is just a bonus.

Then web development isn't for you really. Just learn Java. Get a random job as an Android developer or something. Start your own game development project at the side.

There are multiple input forms on the page with the same fields, just different IDs.
I need a single jquery script, that would serialize the inputs and send them to the `/api/ID/` endpoint. I've written the following code, but it does not utilize the endpoint and instead makes a POST request to the current page with rendered forms. What do?

Input Field

Input Field

Input Field

function doAction(id) {
$.ajax({
dataType: "json",
type: "POST",
url: '/api/' + id,
data: $('#form_' + id).serialize(),
success: function(data) {
console.log(data)
}
});
}

Attached: 2018-12-19-162304_790x549_scrot.png (790x549, 83K)

Jquery is front end lmao. Editing APIs is backend dog.

Does you have an retarded?

yeah mane.

Your doAction function should return false.

>It's a Java applet
rly do?

>redis
>Ngnix
2 hot memes I don't know shit about but want into

so uhm i have a bunch of projects in python and C (one of which is a compiler)
but i want to get a webdev job, preferrably full stack
i know js, html, css, have used mysql and all that (just need a brush up on all these, but it shouldn't take long)
can any of you guys give me any tips on what backend i should learn

also any general tips for someone who knows how to program but has very limited webdev knowledge

Looks fucking pretty, I'd take out the centered text though

If it's WordPress and you have access to the db you can add your own user and hash a password using WordPress functions.

Have a submit listener on all of your forms. Prevent default event within the listener callback and fire off the ajax in the callback as well.

node and express or flask if you want to use python

>Right now I'm scraping data with puppeteer from sports betting sites

ive wanted to do this but i have no idea where to even start to learn it

im scouring google now but could you tell a lowly scrub where you learned who to do that?

ill go with node
by node i assume you mean nodejs, the javascript backend

Definitely seems job worthy. Just try not to be an autist during interviews and you should be fine. Don’t give up!

What's the best resource to learn SEO in 2018/2019? Does everything change so rapidly in this field that you need to re-learn it every other year?

>warosu.org/g/thread/65029370#p65034692

Why is Firebase started to get used more and more, many big courses i see use it, aren't the prices insanely high on it?

Attached: 2144124142.png (1600x800, 17K)

What is you guys opinion on Salesforce? Anyone here uses it?

What do you think of the market and prices and growth? Is it worth knowing it?

>He is presumably in the US
>Computer Fraud and Abuse Act exists
>Accessing a computer in a way that is unintended qualifies as abuse
Wow man, really makes ya think.

For reference:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craigslist_Inc._v._3Taps_Inc.

Is that supposed to look like the chat from Durarara? (could be that the chat from that show is modeled after something else)

See: World IQ over time

Why are so many normies so keen on React? Is it because

requires reading past a middle school level?

Eloquent JavaScript

Because sometimes you don't need 4MB of garbage to implement some simple functionality. Personally, I just use TS with React/Redux and have found that to cover most of my uses. I find that Angular/Angular.js has far shittier developers on average (jQuery syndrome) because it holds your hand so much and provides so many abstractions that you get plenty of rope to hang yourself with. Same can be said of React in other ways, but I think it is harder to paint yourself into a corner with React.

Nitpicking here...
- HTML IDs should be unique, hence, ur input IDs should not be the same.
- You're not returning a false at the end of the function, hence, it'll post to wherever the form is.
- Your input which has label does not have its respective ID

Maybe your experience differs. Since most people uses React, the chances of meeting someone who aren't as good is higher. And that's true for me. Most of the Angular developers I've met are quite decent and have very strong knowledge and understanding of NGRX, Observables, etc. Nonetheless, there are also good React developers.

I think they're pretty good for very short term development (making prototype and stuff) and its relatively simple to learn how to use Firebase. Hence, that would explain why courses that uses Firebase as a simple backend are becoming more mainstream. But I wouldn't use Firebase for any long term projects.

Google has a good history of deprecating everything very quickly. GCM to Firebase Messaging, etc.

Sure, that assessment is fair. Now that create-react-app is pretty common, I'd say the numbers may've shifted, but initially the barrier of entry into Angular was so low that any scrub typing into a command line could be off and running. For a short time, React (with JSX) required you to at least have a basic grasp of how your build pipeline actually worked. I guess I'm just shaking my fist at clouds, but I find it irritating when developers don't understand the abstractions they are building upon.

Also, not a huge fan of some of the Angular "magic", like how dependency injection is implemented.

muh oss discord clone written in rust/backbonejs

it has "theater" rooms too

Attached: 2018-12-19_11-03.png (1267x628, 173K)

People are doing back-end shit in Rust now too?

What's currently the least cancerous way of getting an imageboard website with feature parity with Jow Forums up and running?
Least amount of dependencies, best potential client-side performance etc.

Attached: desu.png (438x544, 239K)

Vue + Node

I'm using actix-web, which is an actor framework. Once you get over the learning curve of Rust AND Rust's Future implementation, shit is fucking amazing.

For this site, I'm using and HTTP "Actor" to handle message parsing and file uploads, then I send a message to the actor that manages the "rooms", and they send messages to the client actors, routing through the server actor. Rust's compiler is amazing. I can spend 30 minutes refactoring and when it finally compiles it usually works the first time exactly like I wanted.

>least cancerous
>node
Doubt.jpg

Anybody know of a great tutorial series for the MEAN stack?

I have a site made in laravel. It runs ok, but I really want to completly remake the site with a mongodb database and with a frontend like angular.

There are a lot of videos about the MEAN stack. But things are changing so fast that most of them are already outdated.

There is a new course on udemy but I don't really want to pay for a course...

Why do you need MongoDB?

Also, you can have a headless Angular application and keep your Laravel backend. Might require you to make some changes to your Laravel so that it exposes a consumable API.

Nothing wrong with Node.

source?

I don't want to use php again.
I made a little node + express + mongodb project in college and it runs really great. Much better than php

So I thougt a whole node + express + angular + mongodb site (+socket.io) would be great and performant

Why does nobody use TenserFlow for JS but everyone uses the Python one when they are the same?

Attached: 85818158751285.png (849x981, 1.12M)

Underrated post.

Because Python has an "ecosystem for AI". And its the mainstream thing to do, especially in Silicon Valley.

Since we're on the topic of AI and JS. Might want to check out github.com/Microsoft/onnxjs

Regular fucking js + nginx

there is nothing on Jow Forums that warrants slapping on whatever framework happens to be the flavor of the month

Not for small home projects, but it takes a nose dive performance-wise even under moderate loads.

Blazor, yay or nay?

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craigslist_Inc._v._3Taps_Inc.

look up puppeteer, selenium, cheerio

there are plenty of libraries for web scraping in multiple languages

>but it takes a nose dive performance-wise even under moderate loads

Please post some Node websites that do as you write

is it ok using grid and flexbox for layouts everywhere or will the performance crawl to a halt a few levels deep?

Is there a particular reason why most webpages are white or light coloured? I’m making a design portfolio and want to do a dark background colour to emphasise my work but I’ve yet to come across another portfolio with dark colours which makes me think it’s bad choice

Attached: 5CF35014-09B5-4BBC-A0F6-D7A4E63F8394.jpg (562x750, 59K)

ux.stackexchange.com/a/35847

i am in same situation as yours
the idea i have for my portfolio will probably make sense in dark background

Hey that was a nice read, thanks.