Why does obsolete technology excite you?

Why does obsolete technology excite you?

Attached: 1529959884175.jpg (838x720, 105K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=g92Zma7dBsg
youtube.com/watch?v=yYWPHkCPhe4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

necrophilia

Attached: download (3).jpg (300x168, 10K)

Because it's simple, well made, and lasts forever. I still have my original desktop machine from 1998 that works just fine. My most recent tablet didn't last two years before the display's backlight went out. And I barely used the thing.

Attached: 1539201593026.jpg (250x241, 25K)

A knife is much simpler than an electronic mixer.

These things aren't even remotely comparable. By the way, spoons and hand power is better for mixing certain ingredients when you're trying gently blend them rather than whip the living fuck out of them.

it reminds me of the time when i could control an entire 64kb pocket universe with nothing more than BASIC code, POKE and PEEK.

CRTs were ingenius
>Shoot electrons with a gun inside a vacuum through a shadow mask to precisely align the light to the correct color subpixel phosphor line by line millions of times per second all using electromagnetism and analog components.
vs contemporary displays
>a grid of leds

>>a grid of leds
An LCD screen is not a grid of LEDs.

Attached: 129.jpg (750x528, 58K)

>you're trying gently blend them rather than whip the living fuck out of them.
Does your mixer not have different settings?

i don't find it terribly exciting. it's just something I know a lot about and have used all my life. it's more comforting that exciting.. if that makes any sense. it's always been there. I find it interesting how even technology produced two or three years ago is being made obsolete in no time at all. times have changed and pace of technological evolution has increased dramatically in the last 20 years.

Because it works great

> Why does obsolete technology excite you?

I don't know, it wasn't all that great when i lived through it, but for some reason i cant stop watching youtube videos about it

Attached: compcron.jpg (480x360, 14K)

ARTIFACTS OF A TIME BEFORE ZOOMERS

Attached: 1537323151813.gif (652x562, 626K)

Because products back then weren't designed to fall apart 24 hours after the warranty expired.

You'll find that the gearbox they use in mixers - just like any gearbox - swaps speed for torque. The beater still hits with the same amount of force, just slower. Kinda like a hatchback hitting you at 100km/h, versus a truck hitting you at 30km/h - you're still rendered as a bunch of red stains all over the road.

no

I know it sounds like a strange thing to say (and this is going to come across utterly insane), but stay with me for a moment.

I like that they could exist by themselves. It seems these days that a computer that is not constantly tethered to the internet is almost half a computer. Not to mention the shift towards consumption of entertainment rather than any kind of productive end. That's why all monitors are now >19" and have such high resolutions. And because of that they dominate the area you have put them in because of the massive (comparitively) screen and unit itself.

Pretty much 90% of what I use a computer for is writing (it's essentually a typewriter for most of its existence), but my computer is almost the same as what a kid would have in their room for netflix and gaming in terms of its impact on surroundings and cost.

I know that I could just use a laptop, but I'd rather have something without shitty screen placement, a bad keyboard (even "good" laptop keyboards are below "bad" PC keyboards), crappy ventilation, etc. .

And don't even get me started on the amount of coping mechanisms we have in modern computers to deal with the swelling demands of power and cooling. I remember my first computer didn't even need a fan at all, now my current case has 4.

*crack*
*sip*
I miss the good old days.

It doesn't, obscure technology does, of any age.

Picture related.

Attached: 1543341655646[1].jpg (936x1436, 211K)

It's reminiscent of a time when it wasn't so mainstream, and therefore was more exciting.

who is this guy and why is what he said so true?

you see it in cars too, used to be many different interesting designs now shit all looks samey because they have to be perfect in the wind tunnel

Isn't it Orson Welles?

Jean Renoir.

It's not a bad thing though, just like computers that are able to play FHD content.
Think how many millions of liters of gasoline streamlined cars have saved since.

It's true everything is more boring though, but luckily we are blessed with access to old hardware/software.

Because life was unironically more comfy back then

>everything is boring and mundane
>but at least i have access to pretty entertainment
The state of you, m8.

Thanks.

Attached: 1544173895213.gif (387x248, 1M)

Mainly aesthetics
I've long since chucked all my old pc shit but I like my old case il never grt rid of it

Some people are just incredibly afraid of the passage of time.

m68k computers, especially amiga and Amstrad make me nostalgic, the amiga demos I watched as a kid were mesmerising. to me it was on the threshold of computers getting too powerful for demos and having to impose constraints like 4k/64k intros

No one wants to go to the past, we just think we chose the wrong future.

I mean, fucking hell, to post this I had to prove to a robot I'm not a robot.

Not that I really disagree, but including inflation you probably paid almost an order of magnitude more for that 1998 desktop. That being said, it seems almost impossible to pay more for a well-built machine today; the expensive options are just for various useless gimmicks.

Ironically, paying less for something old would probably net you something of higher quality.

I can't believe this thing is anywhere remotely perfect in a wind tunnel. It's just ugly anyway. I ascribe much of it to modern values. Man killed off God and stopped aiming for the higher, thus everything is now lowly and ugly.

Attached: new-2018-bmw-i3-94ahwrangeextender-8507-17678195-6-1024.jpg (1024x576, 68K)

Reminds us of simpler times.

It generally felt like it was engineered by people who cared about it and wanted to improve the lives of their customers, rather than their own company's bottom line by designing to the lowest common denominator of a given price bracket.
I don't think you could pay me to go back to the past, but it doesn't mean I can't still appreciate certain aspects of those times I feel were lost and didn't need to be.

Attached: rackofcpub.jpg (1280x960, 187K)

Because the software it ran isn't as grossly inefficient as anything that runs on a modern machine with a dozen layers of abstraction and jabbascript.

consumer machines are just facebook appliances
enthusiast systems are just gaming consoles
new releases are more defined by removing features and reducing versatility to cut costs and improve profits than actually making worthwhile progress
everything is the same
everything is boring
everything is inundated with obnoxious trend seeking wannabes with no passion for technology, only the money and attention that can come with it

for people more enthusiastic about hardware especially, rediscovering old technology offers an escape

You could also just build a cheap desktop PC.

because windows 10 is shit

Attached: 1544688564130.jpg (1263x1920, 816K)

>inb4 some tard posts old hardware he/she is unironically still using today

Of course. I can fire up any of my old computer and have fun with them, while still having the benefit of modern computing, under the same roof.
Best of both worlds. The only thing I miss is Web 1.0 and pre-Web internet, but this is not the topic of this thread.

>he doesn't own a Talos II

like this?

Attached: untitled.png (487x408, 16K)

It's not obsolete, it's timeless. If it was actually obsolete we just wouldn't remember it like any other "meh" things that occurred in the past.
That's the thing about past, we remember mostly best extraordinary, timeless things.

It's not that old

thanks

Even Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump were 16 once.

It's not the wind tunnel, it's government regulations.

So true, you can see it in Vidya too

Pretty much this

He's talking about OLED, user.

Nostalgia/ seeing shit before my time excites me, I love history, seeing MS dos become windows is just an cool thing(also vidya

Because you know, at point, someone really believed in that product and what they were making, and genuinely felt it was the next step in technology advancements. I admire that.

DEVO really believed in laserdisc even though it never took off.
youtube.com/watch?v=g92Zma7dBsg

That's one thing I've noticed as well. It seems that even if people defend some current technology they don't Believe (capital-B) in it so much as just enjoy it.

I see you've played knifey spoony before

Trackpads that don't have retarded tap to click and other shitty in bullshit.

Computers haven't had asthetics for 25 years some time just before win95 was when they gave up . and apple doesn't count because its void of asthetic and the clamshell and big colored CRT apples where really ugly on reflection and the transparent one is prison aathetic from years before and not original.

The last comphteres designed with love are from early 90s mid 90s

it's fun to explore

>The last comphteres designed with love
they've always been appliances, you just have a fetish for clunky and beige

Laserdisc took off user, it wasn't betamax, there's still stuff that's only available on the format

It's pretty, simple, elegant, and well-optimized. You can't say that about much modern tech. Plus, a lot of it is nostalgia. Learning about computers is a deeply personal experience, so naturally we latch onto what we experienced in our formative years.

Back when everything wasn't standardized to cater to the lowest common denominator.
Back when function was more important than form.

>Learning about computers is a deeply personal experience, so naturally we latch onto what we experienced in our formative years.
how are people this autistic?

youtube.com/watch?v=yYWPHkCPhe4

It's really fun to look at software made for "normal people" and how complex it all was. The idea of each function key having four levels for different commands seems insane now, but the speed a confident use can navigate with such a system is just not matched by modern software.

because it isn't obsolete and costs 1/10 of a meme tablet pc

When you think people struggle with simple word processors today. Holy shit.

>kids today don't know the heartwarming sound of a 5.25" floppy drive during POST

Attached: guy.gif (250x136, 2.03M)

It wouldve been better if the discs werent the size of records. The machine was huge and bulky

BRRRZ...KRK KRK KRK KRK KRK... BRZZN BRRZN... KRK KRK KRK

>Disk Not Read
Abort, Retry, Fail?

Attached: images (5).jpg (259x194, 4K)

It's just not the same.

Attached: tears in rain.jpg (1280x720, 29K)

RING 0 MOTHERFUCKER

It does show how much less genuine power the average user has when it comes to using a computer.

But there's only so many fucks someone can give, and that word processor was made at a time when it was likely one of the only programs their computer was used for. Now there's a million uses to a computer. I suppose it's the difference between an ocean that's ankle deep and a trench.

It doesn't. However emulating it accurately and without latency does.

some technologies hit it's limit and there just is no and never will be any improvement.
Calculators, toasters, vacuum cleaners, refrigerators and I'd even say recently - laptops. Why would I need a quad core and a touch screen on my calculator, or a toaster, or a refrigerator ? Items like these can only become obsolete by over-engineering.

And I no longer need a faster laptop - ever. My T450 will probably last me for 10 years, everything works and I can't think of any improvement to be made that wouldn't be over-engineering

Picrelated is the most advanced calculator that is actually useful (isn't too complicated to make your calculations actually harder than they are) and it was made in 1996

Attached: jd5bb6oleb3sfj8zfxwu.jpg (620x400, 16K)

My argument against 60fps movies summed up. It's just too real to feel like art and not just another event being videoed.

Reminds me of a simpler innocent time in my life

>Now there's a million uses to a computer
True but outside of specific applications, main programs are standardized.
How many programs does your average user uses every day?

>How many programs does your average user uses every day?
Technically hundreds when you think of the complexity of a modern web browser and social media platform.

this, I use my laptop for
>internet
>light pdf writing
>light programming
>circuit analysis
>movies

How can new laptops improve on my experience if my consumer experience is already satisfied and was for the last 5-6 years?

>How can new laptops improve on my experience if my consumer experience is already satisfied and was for the last 5-6 years?
Bloat shit up so that you can't use that laptop comfortably any more.

exactly, all of my software already works perfectly on years old updates. The only time I need to update something is due to security related issues - but not performance. The only time I'll need to upgrade my laptop is when it dies - considering it's a thinkpad it never will

Attached: aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubGFwdG9wbWFnLmNvbS9pbWFnZXMvdXBsb2Fkcy8yMTIxL2cvbGVub3ZvdGhpbmtwYWR4MjAxdF8yMGcuanBn (775x500, 47K)

It doesn't have to feel like art, it just has to feel like a fantasy worth experiencing.

why would I? what’s actually novel or exciting about it? once you hide the processor under a heat sink and install it in an off the shelf case it’s just another PC that runs the exact same free software (and nothing else) as literally any other PC while looking exactly like any other PC other than a sticker on the front of you bothered to get one, even the fully pre-built systems directly from Raptor are just generic Supermicro chassis with a different board in them.

it doesn’t offer anything different or particularly interesting, it’s just a somewhat more secure way of doing the same shit you’ve always done, if anything it’s a symbol of how fucking bland and boring modern computing is even in niche use cases

Well you'd be wrong. The drag coefficient of that car is the same as a 2005 Corvette. It's not as aerodynamic as a Tesla but it is aerodynamic.

becouse feel like home.

Computers always had a million uses, turing-completeness isn’t a recent innovation y’know.

But consumers generally understood computers less and they and software packages were more expensive, so you’d see them used for fewer tasks. But that said, most people today still only use a small set of standardized applications as others have mentioned. That hasn’t really changed.

> botnet doesn't exits.

what form? everything looks the same and feature reduction continues even if the form can accommodate it.

I hate chunky cars with a passion.

Because it makes me feel like it's something special again. Computers today are great and all, but they're just convenient everyday work tools instead of some imposing, expensive apparatus from the future.

I'm sure it has been optimized, but it's obviously not "best in class". They had leeway for choices in the design on top of the aerodynamics.

Call me old fashioned but this topic reminds me how I made the resolution to stop upgrading my PCs since the unneeded and unwanted apocaliptic replacement of BIOS for UEFI... that was just a red line for me and if my hardware breaks I will try to buy pre-UEFI material or stop using computers at all... As a customer I have spent thounsands and thousands on technology along the years but even then I just dont have the willpower to deal with such kind of crap like UEFI something that would never have happened with the sane old computers market

Attached: file.gif (300x169, 1.94M)

For me is old SGI.

>Why does obsolete technology excite you?
Because it harkens back to better times.

>indexed color
>8bit registers, 16bit addressing
>tiled backgrounds
>hardware sprites
>pc speaker or some limited channels midi synth oscillator stuff
>assembly
>tiny memory and storage
>great games
Because it was comfy as fuck

Its a reminder of better simpler times. Mostly due to the unchecked freedom of the internet, since most of the world was too dumb at the time to know how to work a computer. Businesses and governments were all much too stupid to exploit the internet to the fullest at the time, so ads snd popups, despite annoying, were no real threat to you.

Attached: Hex.jpg (1448x2048, 274K)

Kind of a strange thing to think about eh? Whenever im in that hypothetical scenario of meeting someone who becomes an asshole later. In a lot of cases, at that age they're still perfectly innocent. Maybe they have big ideas, but their future isn't made yet, and they can't be held accountable.