WINDOWS SANDBOX

IT'S HAPPENING!
techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Windows-Kernel-Internals/Windows-Sandbox/ba-p/301849
also reminder that Windows is a kernel

Attached: Windows Sandbox Screenshot - open.jpg (999x666, 57K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/If5qrmHcw7I
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_POSIX_subsystem
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interix
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Subsystem_for_Linux
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Well, NT is a kernel. But so many Win32isms have worked their way into the top layers of NT since version 4.0, it could be a mission to separate them. I sometimes wonder how much deeper it goes than win32k.sys.

I wonder how well the 3d acceleration works. If it's as slow as a virtual machine then this is as pointless as the WSL.
A shitton more bugs and lacking functionality for a slightly higher amount of practicality.

>VM
This just seems like Hyper-V, it seems to even need a lot of the same dependencies as hyper-v and uses the same shit.

>sandbox on spying OS

Attached: 1506030719478.gif (230x175, 1.94M)

>inb4 people immediately find a way to break out of the sandbox

That's pretty neat

I would expect nothing more from microsoft software.

Where can I get a 18305 ISO? Can you update to 18305 from LTSC 1809 (I have updates disabled)?

/thread

op is from the future

Attached: ltsc2019.png (702x286, 52K)

didnt we have an xp mode vm once? what happened to that

This

Still there (somewhere), just a bit useless, because it runs on a (slightly modified) MSVPC, rather than Hyper-V.

It's an insiders version so you're probably better off just waiting

Neat
Hadn't windows done this internally on the xbox one build since dot tho so that's like 5+ years

That's more like the "hypervisor-based security" that MS has been dropping into Windows lately (of which this is a type, tbch).

Mmmm I imagine their gonna go the whole vm in a vm approach that denvuo and xbox one did as well

Ultimately yes, once the performance hurdles are cleared.

Windows scheduling has been broken for decades performance isn't in their vocabulary

This. It's meant to test exes you don't trust. It doesn't show a list upon closure of what changed, it comes with a clean install each time and can't set up a specific install. The system itself seems very very close to the actual host system, even linking to the hosts' system files. It seems so sketchy and dangerous for a "sandbox."

>not understanding that reads and writes are two different things
The only thing interesting about this is that it leverages Hyper-V. I actually wrote something like this a decade ago, and only gave up when I couldn't get deep enough into LoadLibrary() and friends to do what I wanted (and Sandboxie existed, of course). Apart from that, the process got its own totally convincing shadow file system and registry.

This. It's just the next level of Sandboxie, which proved it could be done completely from user mode. Shoving it inside a hypervisor (theoretically - barring bugs in the hypervisor itself) cuts off any possible unknown "escapes".

Guaranteed it IS just hyperV with new flashy UI on top (that will be abandoned in 12 months)
They've been doing this shit for a while now.

>a lot of the same dependencies as hyper-v
A processor made in the last 10 years?

So it'll always run as a new instance? No way to save any settings or files?

Isn't that kinda the point?

Just a simple (is it even resizable?) window.
>flashy UI

Attached: 1544086004355.gif (360x240, 1.27M)

It's most likely using hyper-v but unlike a full fat VM is uses system files already located on your PC sort've like docker in a way

John Titor is back to save us from Microsoft's tyranny.

Wasn't it Connor, not Titor?

i wouldn't mind a vm without installing 3rd party shit

Hyper-V has been built into Windows AMD64 for years now.

Attached: 1460604631050.jpg (638x638, 31K)

But it only runs on windows, what is the fucking point?

Hyper-V causes everything even your host Windows to run over the hypervisor so there may or may not be some performance loss just with Hyper-V being enabled and not even running VMs

Erm... yeah. But why would you run Hyper-V if you're not running VMs?

What's linux like then?

same

You're thinking of the wrong time traveler.

Ubuntu 39.04 can run Adobe Photoshop 1.0 at 50% speed, and only crashes twice a day*.

* Marking the turning point of Wine becoming more stable than WOW32.

Just use GIMP

GIMP 12.47.103.catfood still can't draw circles.

I was just mentioning that for those who just run VMs causally every once and while.
If you don't have VMs that you use often or every day stick to virtualbox or something as there may be some performance loss in just having Hyper-V enabled when you doing other shit
If you use VMs often but your committed to Windows as a host then Hyper-V is perhaps the best to use

GIMP is ass.

>/thread
Yet people kept talking, faggot.

For that, there's type 2 hypervisors (VMware, vbox, etc). Hyper-V is an industrial-strength thing that filtered down to client Windows because MS saw the benefits of virtualisation-based security extensions, I think.

That doesn't mean shit

youtu.be/If5qrmHcw7I

Photoshop has had 16-bit support since 1992. GIMP still does not. and still only comes with sRGB, and the UI is a fucking mess. It is simply awful to work with.

There are web browser based editors that are far superior to GIMP.

Krita is also far superior to GIMP.

GIMP is trash.

I haven't seen anyone hack the Xbox One yet, while they have hacked the PS4.

>industrial-strength

>GIMP still does not. and still only comes with sRGB
wrong. it has up to 64 bit float and can load any colorspace from a file

I'm no expert, but isn't this a bad idea?

Attached: seems unsafe.png (1298x281, 40K)

>a VM

wow, it's fucking nothing

Did you not read the damn article or something?
Yes it's technically a VM but with almost none of the same burden or resource allocation issues that you would face with running an entire separate instance of Windows

The only benefits over a VM are that it saves some disk space and RAM.
Who gives a shit. GPU performance will still suck dick.

It's a sandbox, not a jail

It's pretty much just a VM.
It's no match for something like Sandboxie.

It's not "just a VM", did you even read? It's pretty similar to Sandboxie, in the way that it shares the software side of the system itself too, not running another system in a VM.

GPU performance is going to suck dick on every VM that isn't using pass through
Microsoft is atleast making a conceded effort to make sure DirectX works properly and making your host GPU actually do the work

It's more similar to a regular VM than to any sandbox. Sandboxie has no performance impact, for example. Try to run a game in this MS "sandbox" and you'll see.

It sounds more like a BSD Jail or Solaris Zone.

>every VM that isn't using pass through
What hardware year does this even exclude pre 2010?

NT is a kernel
Windows is a clusterfuck

>This enables the Windows Sandbox VM to benefit from hardware accelerated rendering, with Windows dynamically allocating graphics resources where they are needed across the host and guest. The result is improved performance and responsiveness for apps running in Windows Sandbox, as well as improved battery life for graphics-heavy use cases.

>To take advantage of these benefits, you’ll need a system with a compatible GPU and graphics drivers (WDDM 2.5 or newer). Incompatible systems will render apps in Windows Sandbox with Microsoft’s CPU-based rendering technology.

Learn to read, faggots

If you install the latest WDDM 2.5 or later graphics drivers, you'll get hardware acceleration

>you'll get hardware acceleration
Yeah, just like on any other VM. Still get pretty shit performance, though.

> Hi, Microsoft shill poster here.
> Check it out. Windows running in a Virtual Machine
> We call it.. SANDBOXING
> Revolutionary, isn't it?
welcome to the world of virtual machines, you incompetent fucking M$ faggots.

docker isn't a sandbox though.

Wow, microsoft is attempting to catch up with what KVM could do for years!
Keep me updated, I really love your blog.

NT > LoonX

It uses Windows Containers, the feature that also powers Windows Docker Containers, which you don't need Hyper-V for.
Except now it can spawn a full OS and has graphics output.

At this point, theres no difference, plus this is even runs off a VM and uses hvper-vs FX system to display it.

For DirectX it's going to be native performance.
It's neither Sandboxie or a pure VM.

This. It will be more closer to running a distro from a USB kind of a situation.

Sell me on modern NT.
What do you like about the Windows kernel?

See .

>modern
>reliable
>secure
>performant
>compatible
>drivers everywhere
>the way its designed makes whacking things in, or pulling things out, of the kernel pretty fucking easy
>35 years battle-tested with only small changes
>can run on any arch (MS ported it wholus-bolus to ARM in a few months)
>runs on anything from car computers (CE/Embedded)
>to supercomputers (Windows HPC)
If it were open source (not going to happen, MS makes too much money off it), it would have 100% of the market, not 90%.

(Me)
Hmm, the way I've written this will attract idiots who can't tell the difference between Win32 and NT. Oh well.

>35 years battle-tested with only small changes
This is legitimately impressive.

Just called emacs

Attached: 1.jpg (227x222, 20K)

Also PPC for a while.

To be fair, Linux is of a similar vintage, but had a premade spec to chase. NT was from-scratch, but heavily influenced by VMS.

wrong clipboard lmao

Attached: 3[1].png (410x466, 6K)

Yep. And MIPS, SPARC, Alpha, Itanium (the only one that gave them ANY trouble porting)... it shows how clean it is inside.

I'm not saying Linux is bad. But I can't attribute merit to clone projects in this specific way:
Designing an OS is infinitely harder than say implementing an existing one.
People in schools implement Unix every day but nobody is making operating systems.

>POSIX compliance
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_POSIX_subsystem
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interix
>even ABI
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Subsystem_for_Linux

RIP VMWARE

based

Attached: G9EJDWG.png (1140x1664, 860K)

Yep, an artefact of it's "personality" capabilities (it was a big thing in the early 90s) - remember, NT started life as the next version of OS/2. Until NT 4.0, Win32 was just a personality running on top of NT, and there's still some debate on how far the Win32isms actually work their way down into NT - I'm personally of the opinion it doesn't spread much beyond win32k.sys

holyshit shareware BTFO

>band-aids
patrician

so what? there is no longer anything else to add

>35 years

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Windows, is in fact, Windows/NT, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, Windows. NT is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another component of a fully functioning Windows system made useful by the Win32 DLLs, Explorer shell and vital system services comprising a full OS as defined by Microsoft. Many computer users run an unmodified version of Windows every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of sanity, the version of NT which is widely used today is often called “Windows”, as many of its users are perfectly aware that it is basically Windows, developed by Microsoft. There really is an NT, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. NT is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. NT is normally used in combination with the Windows operating system: the whole system is basically Windows with NT added, or Windows/NT. All the fucking “Windows” editions are really editions of Windows/NT. But we're not turboautists with an ideological axe to grind, so we just call it Windows.

NT project started in 1989, so 29. Fair enough, you're (just) closer to correct than I am.

Everything gets thrown away kind of like using differential disks and deleting them.

so sandboxie + deepfreeze + a vm.
Windows 10 uses a lot of vm under the hood.

wonder if the "sandbox" can access a virtual network adapter ....

in b4 malware *on the hostmachine* uses the vm to mine cryto by launching its own hidden sessions.

>so sandboxie + deepfreeze + a vm.
This is probably the closest description thus far.

>tfw you don't notice the 100% cpu usage by vmwp.exe

Attached: Smoke detector.jpg (620x620, 51K)

NT never ran on SPARC, but at one point it was destined for Intel i860 systems.

Attached: paragon-ornl.jpg (1024x876, 348K)