Apply for software dev job

>apply for software dev job
>pass all the coding tests
>get sent something called a “video interview” where I’m supposed to answer prerecorded questions while looking at a webcam
>get rejected shortly after

Since when did applying for a fucking software dev job become like Tinder...

Attached: 2DAE8414-A430-49C9-81F4-188E45C82AA6.jpg (406x550, 41K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/8QEK7B9GUhM
youtube.com/watch?v=CQ9_BMshyiw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

thats brogrammer culture at its best

Then just apply to other job and that's it.

Where the fuck do you live or who/what did you attempt to work with? That makes no sense.

At that point I just leave fucking obnoxious.
Interviewed for a company that had a stage where I needed to do a video interview at 7 am in the morning because I had to talk with the EU office.
Not only was the call shit for some reason it was drawn out and not a single technical question was asked.

>degree from a "top university" required

Attached: 1543237798474.jpg (250x241, 8K)

I had to Skype some mofo in U.S when i applied to Mellanox IL, not a single tech question. but for their credit, they timed the interview and call well.

is this a real thing that employers look for? that's autistic

Yup. Financial institutions are well known to also only accept perfect GPAs even if you're otherwise overqualified (e.g. you have a master's and 3.9 GPA? Fuck off, they want a 4.0 undergrad).

>turn up to software dev job interview
>room has 5 other people

>turn up to software dev job interview
>get asked to do cognitive assessment papers

>I've seen several job postings saying "top 10th percentile of class in top university"

Unfortunately, yes.
It upsets me.

Attached: orthodox anchorite.jpg (520x403, 26K)

> Have BA in English and German
> Learning Python and C
> Find it very rewarding
> Curious about monetizing my skills part-time when I'm more capable...

Any insight appreciated.

kill yourself if you don't get the difference between L2 and L3 cache while implementing new type of hash map in C++

>> Have BA in English and German
Not from a top school?
We're not interested, sweetie.
> Learning Python and C
So what. I don't care if you're the most well read, smartest person in the goddam world.
If you don't have 5 years experience, then kiss my ass.
> Find it very rewarding
Uh-oh. Our psychometrics say that people who enjoy learning are incels and are more likely to be problematic employees.
> Curious about monetizing my skills part-time when I'm more capable...
See what I mean? Unreliable employee! This is why you can't hire smart people, they are always trying to go behind your back!
You need to hire top-tier drones, who can't learn on their own and aren't going to question things.

Why would you need to know the difference between the levels of cache going to affect how you program a hash map?

youtu.be/8QEK7B9GUhM

This is what happened to you.

You didn't look like a demented 'happy' corporate slave enough

Since hiring stopped being done by peers and instead it's made by hysterical and attention deprived women.

I never specifically said I wanted employment at a tech company, you cuck. I just said monetize skills. I like my current job fine.

Jesus fucking christ. We need to go back to living in villages without computers as fast as possible.

Attached: Pol_Pot disgusted.png (700x759, 665K)

>HR asks if I plan on getting a bachelor's
>lie and say yes
>get hired
>ask coworkers where they went to school
>"I learned on the job"
HR is so out of touch with the technology sector it's incredible.

damn that's fucked up

What were the requirements for the position to begin with?

It's actually the opposite of this
>HR asks if I plan on getting a bachelor's
Most HRs won't even consider you if you don't already have it.

As far as academical requirements:
>must be pursuing a 4 year degree in Science/Computer Science
This was for an entry level help desk position.

If they rejected you on "genetic" appearance that's fucked up, but there are other aspects of peoples' looks that tell a lot about their work ethics and professionalism.
How well groomed was your hair, what clothes were you wearing and were they wrinkled, how tidy was your room in the background, are you obese, were your teeth white and clean etc. All these little things can tell a lot about someone's personality.

Entry-level positions seem to have dried up. They all want 1-2 years experience or internship with a large company at the very least.

>implying he even got an in-person interview for them to gauge these things.

It was for a intern-like program. But after 6 months they realized I wasn't totally incompetent and now I'm here as long as I want with room to grow.

You can see those through a video though.

>pass all the coding tests
What are the tests like? I always imagine they ask you to make a for loop on the spot or something

>Yo, bro, we'd love to have you here at our tech company, but we just gotta see what your social skills are like before we welcome you to the family, you know?
>No, I fucking don't. Do you need a coder or are you just low-key trying desperately to find new friends?

>be a tradesman
>do engineering
>apply everywhere and everywhere wants me
>ordered an i9-9900k last night
The trick is to be capable to fill every person in the companies job. That means do accounting, supervising, programming, work health and safety etc

I'm a 5th year CS student and I've come to the conclusion that PolPot did nothing wrong.

Certainly not an intrinsically evil man.
Look at this interview of him even.
youtube.com/watch?v=CQ9_BMshyiw
A nice guy.

>show up to software engineering job interview
>breeze through the technical portion
>"Now it's time for the culture fit assessment"
>have to take an online autism spectrum test

>HR poos keep asking me if I'm interested in senior level positions
>graduated a year ago
>barely had 2 IT jobs that ended up laying me off
>still have $19000 in student loans
I guess suicide is painless after all.

Remember to shower next time.

>Since when did applying for a fucking software dev job become like Tinder...

Probably when managers decided to let the Stacies in HR or at a recruitment company do the pre-screening.

I can definitely sympathize as I've been trough the whole recruitment thing in 2016 and this spring after my employer went belly-up. The trick is that you really do need to look your best and understand that fundamentally an interview isn't something where you present the most accurate picture of yourself, it's just a sales pitch where the product being sold is you as an employee.

What this means is that you need to have thought out what you're going to say to the questions about your strengths, skills, weaknesses, etc. BEFORE the interview even starts. Humble brags do work, but you need to be subtle about them.

Also try to remember that you're generally going to need to impress a Stacy before you get to someone who will actually understand the answers to the questions about your skills. These women really don't know how to do anything except look at tech you've listed as knowing matching up with what they're looking for and your years of experience. Basically just conning them and abusing the fact that they're not much beyond glorified secretaries can actually work pretty well if you know what you're doing.

People who go to really high end institutions tend to be pretty elitist in that regard. Some of it has to with the same kind of loyalty as brand loyalty and some has to do with it them trying to justify the expense they went trough in a really roundabout way.

You guys might shit on me for it but I'm glad I stuck to UX design instead of going the dev route, so much easier to build a portfolio, get a job, and get decently paid.

You need to (((culturally fit))) into the normie group, stop being such a weirdo OP

you can align your arrays so that they fit nicely into the CPU caches and you never have to access main memory

Is this actually how interviews are going down now? I don't want to be get beat out by some retard stacy who makes the company look good but doesn't know actual jack shit because I'm "too autistic" or not a cultural fit for the company.

With most companies, unfortunately yes... You do occasionally see some smaller companies who go straight to a person at the company who actually has a clue rather than a glorified secretary. However I've applied to dozens of positions over the last couple of years and I can count those times on the fingers of one hand.

In other words you really do need to hide your powerlevel in most interviews and do your best to pretend to be a normie. Thankfully I can personally pull it off, but I do realize a lot of people with the same kinds of actual work-related skills as I have can't do it or have a way harder time doing it.

Oh and one very good suggestion that I don't follow as much as I should, you really do need to look them in the eyes almost as much as humanly possible when you speak to them.