Book thread

Book thread.

Attached: SICP_cover.jpg (220x318, 14K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2Op3QLzMgSY
lostechies.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/31DaysRefactoring.pdf
htdp.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Attached: download (1).jpg (194x260, 21K)

Unironically better than K&R

Attached: download (2).jpg (1075x1326, 678K)

>next generation proprietary memory allocation techniques.

Attached: YOU_MY_SLAVE.jpg (731x1000, 63K)

Tiggers Jow Forums every time

Attached: g-side.png (498x1480, 260K)

Attached: nand2tetris.png (566x655, 335K)

Based.

This is a good one

I gave up on the project itself after the assembler. Feeling like a real brainlet over it.
Only made it through the first 3 chapters, and only because I skipped the homework. Again, brainletty.

not g related but personal favorite

Attached: bnw.jpg (220x330, 26K)

Attached: a tour of c.jpg (520x648, 80K)

With that attitude. No one is born with knowledge of how computer works. You have to work through things even if it takes time.

Attached: SICM.jpg (550x841, 91K)

Based

Yeah it be like that. And I wouldn't call it an attitude problem if I get my ass beat but keep reading the books. Just finished pic related which was surprisingly comfy.

Attached: ostep.jpg (414x648, 119K)

Looks true bros, at least to me :/

Attached: 1530987682910.jpg (710x1080, 80K)

just started reading it. My professors recommended it to me. Its pretty good so far. Easy to read and "Uncle Bob" keeps it interesting.

Attached: clean_code_cover.jpg (389x499, 33K)

Computer science textbooks tend to age well because of the perennial foundations, but decades-old software engineering books are like a minefield of boomer bullshit.

based and redpilled

if i've already taken university level intoductory programming classes and don't really want to learn LISP, is SICP worth getting? or is it just the basics, but for people who went to MIT?

Attached: cmonnow.jpg (907x718, 53K)

this one seemed pretty respected from what I've seen online. Plus I will say I do probably need it. I've been programming for a while just not professionally so I've pick up some of the bad habits hes talks about.

It is a nice read but that is an opinion.

It's meme status isn't unearned. It's only "introductory" with world-class MIT professors guiding you through it. You can hack your way through the LISP syntax if you're pretty ace at JavaScript but you will still skip the homework.

The chapter on alien bases is based

foobity-barby-foo

Attached: 1238798[1].jpg (318x390, 25K)

youtube.com/watch?v=2Op3QLzMgSY

It is the bible.

I would recommend the book as a seasoned software engineer and actively apply this when you write your own code and also when you conduct code review. However, Uncle Bob's video series on Clean Code is appalling and not worth watching.

Attached: 1532447636293.png (1267x785, 97K)

What are the best AI books? Not just machine learning, but symbolic knowledge representation, behavior, maybe genetic programming, I dunno. Whatever topics are at the cutting edge of general intelligence research.

I'll do you one better

Attached: 295_large_image.jpg (500x650, 72K)

Lecture videos are all in 240p or some VHS garbage, and the 6.00.1 class that replaced it just implemented its core ideas in Python but still it's a based class if you took it in person at MIT.

Attached: 1535071951851.jpg (640x511, 42K)

>cutting edge of general intelligence research.
no such thing exists

Sup Terry

I'm basically reading so that other people wont want to blow their brains out when they look at my code on github/lab

glow in the dark

epic

Gustedt > King

Attached: _collid=books_covers_0&isbn=9780262026659&type=.jpg (550x715, 57K)

Yeah, that's fine. I recommend you read or skim it again every now and then to refresh clean code best practices. However, more than writing clean code, it's important to keep writing code and keep practicing. One thing I learned from taking a computational theory class is that every time you write a computer program, you are actually writing a mathematical proof. That's why it is impossible to automate programming because there is no such (Turing) machine that exists that can automatically write mathematical proofs. That's why programming is difficult, it is both an art and logic.

Attached: 1539790603461.jpg (502x460, 33K)

based

And it's even free as in freedom.

Attached: beginnersre.gif (450x591, 55K)

>didn't start his own religion yet

To quote L. Ron Hubbard, the founder of Scientology, a fucking retarded sect
>You don't get rich writing science fiction. If you want to get rich, you start a religion.

Attached: fuckscientology.png (480x265, 218K)

Last Uncle who kept it interesting was Uncle Ted desu

>That's why it is impossible to automate programming because there is no such (Turing) machine that exists that can automatically write mathematical proofs.
Humans cannot automatically write proofs either, but they can program just fine. Your argument is nonsensical.

I learned C with this what book do you recommend next?

>next generation FUD shitposting

And for the record, this is not a joke pic, the book really exists.

Based and redpilled

Attached: starting-strength-basic-barbell-training-mark-rippetoe-goal-body-4219959.png (500x733, 156K)

Found the jidf divide and conquer shill fuck off kike nigger

Attached: 1536712243837.png (635x661, 227K)

>Mark Rippetoe
More like Rippedtoe, amirite?

Rippetoe is a fucking idiot. That guys program is a complete joke. The only reason people make gains is because they're already DYEL and would make gains picking up a box of tissues.

Holy fuck shut the hell up and go be a racist somewhere else

Discrimination has no place here

that's the whole point of it, retard

nigger

>proving his point again
He means the same thing as you dumbass

Any good books for embedded systems programming (for someone who is already familiar with electronics)?

>Discrimination has no place here
You do know this is Jow Forums, right?

How can I make myself read these books?
I'm genuinely interested in the subjects but I always end up doing some instant gratification bullshit like watching youtube.

t. underage newturds

Attached: tanenbaum.jpg (823x1080, 113K)

>coq

haha

"31 days of refactoring":

- short read
- makes you a better coder
- free as in freedom:
lostechies.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/31DaysRefactoring.pdf

Noice.
I'll donate something to this guy, pretty cool book.

>King James Version

lel, I bet you use Windows XP

Attached: 4170mu9qcKL.jpg (360x500, 24K)

Try to find your working hours. Mine are typically very early from 5am to 1pm. After that period im not concentrated and end up doing useless shit

Attached: 51Z5b1PJXaL._SX406_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (408x500, 38K)

Attached: 41LSlra7GOL._SX377_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (379x499, 19K)

>7 yo boomer laughing at le funnieh naymes
wait till you get to hear about HoTT-Coq, later renamed to Coq-HoTT

Attached: whys_poignant_guide.jpg (600x467, 51K)

so you like HoTT-Coq, right?

>the ability to make decisions has no place here
the human brain is a pattern recognition machine, if a pattern exists someone is going to notice.

As a name? Idgaf, i never realised how it sounds until some 7 yo undergrad boomer, like yourself, chuckled and i busted his nuts until he explained what was so funny. Turns out it wasn't funny, just dumb, but that's to be expected when you're teaching in burgeristan.
As a technology? It's awesome, but there are many ways to improve it - both the theory and the implementation. We're getting CuTT-Coq soon, perhaps as part of Coq-HoTT, since it's from the same IAS guys behind HoTT.

Daily reminder that this guy absolutely dropped off of computer programming because of a breakdown after the web framework he dedicated so much time of his life became deprecated.

right, joking about names
that's for teenies
ha ha

It’s pretty high level but good.

>CuTT-Coq

No.
Nononono!

Attached: largepreview.png (850x1202, 17K)

hehe cockshott

gaskammer

bump

sage

sage is not a downvote newnigger

cringe and bluepilled
saged
reported
filtered
hidden
and 404'd

Attached: norvig ai modern approach.jpg (638x688, 116K)

Leaving memes aside, is SICP still relevant nowadays? Please no bully.

Just finished type driven development in idris. Based.

nope
htdp.org/

that book is a fucking joke

>mit press
>joke

is lazy streams, OOP, building computer simulators not relevant anymore?

Based and Ruby Pilled.

Jans book is based as fuck, but not for teh n00bs. Better off reading King first.

Is it worth reading?

underrated

I'd rather new programmers at least keep the rules printed near them when they're learning C from King's book.

First--withour exception--work through every problem in Sedgewick's DSA in C book--its tough to find, but worth it. Make sure it's the second edition. Then, work through Modern C by Gustedt and Interfaces and Implementations by Hanson. Next, Hennesy and Patterson's comparch book, followed by Tannenbaum's OS book. After that, The Linux Programming interface and the OOP w/ ANSI C book. Learn your toolchains along the way and one day you might be a good C programmer.

t. adjunct professor at a college you've never heard of

I didn't notice any egregious violations of the C99 standard that weren't tagged as such in the text or errata. What'd I miss? Regardless, I agree with you 100% on reinforcing the habit of consulting the standards.

>minefield of boomer bullshit.
spoken like a true neet

>one day you might be a good C programmer
in 2019 good C programmer is like a good Fortran or Simula programmer. cool but useless.

It's not that King is bad, he does a pretty good job a teaching C. It's just that Gustedt has many invaluable tips/rules/suggestions that King's book lacks (because it's aimed at beginners).
I do have a bit of an issue with King's chapter on program design, for example pic related - no mention that it is a bad taste to hide pointers in typedefs.

Attached: pls_dont.jpg (1944x2592, 1.85M)

Why is it that computer science books always have really strange, unrelated covers?
Like what does a wizard have to do with computers?

Attached: forth_on_the_atari.jpg (450x722, 62K)

>Humans cannot automatically
What does that even mean

Attached: heenok.jpg (235x207, 10K)