What caused the RAM race on smartphones?

What caused the RAM race on smartphones?

I don't think a smartphone should need more than 2GB.

Attached: 63936-oneplus-6t-mclaren-edition-twitter.jpg (850x477, 25K)

This needs to be some sort of meme RAM or advertisement trick right? How would phones be able to hold 8 gb of proper ram?

As for question for OP. Every new edition of a product needs bigger numbers, otherwise people won't know how much better it is, but there are a lot less numbers that can be increased these days

10GB of RAM in a smartphone seems ridiculous when my daily driver laptop gets by just fine with under 4GB (it has 4GB of RAM on the board but several hundred MBs are dedicated to the GPU). I'm running Arch Linux with LXQt so it's a fairly lightweight system but RAM hog programs like Firefox, Chrome, Gimp, Blender, streaming HD video, etc. all works just fine. What could you possibly be running on your smartphone that would require more than 4GB of RAM?

the OS design is fucking retarded

Android is aggressively inefficient, on top of loading as much into ram on boot as possible.

Unused RAM is wasted RAM

mine has 2g ram and 2g swap
reeeeee

android is a dogshit OS like windows so engineers just throw resources at the sinkhole and hope it will be enough for the fat brown poor people using them to not cry constantly about their gay sex and fast food delivery apps crashing.

Attached: 2086129_800.png (600x614, 880K)

Agreed. Preloading is fine, but the whole OS is ass.

>How would phones be able to hold 8 gb of proper ram

You realize that the actual RAM chips on desktop / laptop sticks are those tiny black chips right? The rest of it is just a PCB that adapts and connects all the pins from the RAM chips to the interface socket on the MOBO.

Attached: 6gb-smartphone-ram.png (728x380, 219K)

I "blame" the Chinese

Given that smartphones use a handful of different CPU brands and models.

More ram is an easy way to differentiate themselves.

android apps that insist on being installed to internal storage when i've got gigabytes to burn on the SD are the worst fucking performance killers

Retards can't optimize their apps.

Is there a real cell with just a normal Linux distro on it yet?

No android just Arch or some shit

Even a tablet with 4g would be great

Shitty apps hogging memory. But even if most apps weren't shitty, webpages still grow in size daily. Regardless of OS and browser, the RAM required to comfortably browse web grows every year.

Aliexpress have a lot of Windows 10 tablets, some of them have a modem.

A desktop OS on a mobile device sounds awful. What about the drivers, too?

There were ubuntu phones but they flopped

>MORE RAM
>FASTER PERFORMANCE

WOOOW IT PERFORMS WITH BLAZING SPEED
LOOK AT THAT PERFORMANCE RATE
WOOOWWWW

ZOOOM ZOOOOOM
90 PERFORMANCES PER SECOND!!!!

HEY THERES A SPEED LIMIT YOU KNOWW

ZOOOOOOOOM BROM BROM BRROOROOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMM

IEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHH

WHATS THAT OFFICER? WAS I PERFORMING TOO FAST FOR YOU?

*REBOOTS*

BRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOM ZOM ZOM ZOM ZOMOOOOOOMOMOMOMOM

MY GOD THE ACCELERATION PERFORMANCE/(SECOND*SECOND) ON THAT MOBILE DEVICE IS INSANEEEE

Librem 5.
>not released yet
The dev kit is technically a phone.

I laughed

>What caused the RAM race on smartphones?
More and more apps that satay on in the background and keep pumping data about you.
In other words, that was caused by the growth of the botnet into every app

I just get so confused. Who THE HELL needs to increase the elevation of the uncanny valley that exists between the performance of a low end phone, a high end phone, and a laptop?
What the HELL are they doing that's so important, no, so ENTICING that actually benefits from the increased performance specs?
I "" upgraded"" from a Nokia Lumia Icon to a Samsung Galaxy S8 in mid 2017 and have felt like I was mind controlled to do so ever since.
Yeah wowww, I can get a few more apps and everything loads twice as fast, so impressivvve.
Except it fvcking isn't. I can spare a damn second on browser load times, I can wait till I get home to play graphics-centric games that aren't gimped, and I can't see the fidelity of 1440-god damn-p on this tiny screen.
I feel like I've magically shaken the vice of the mind crontolling, menial-shit enticing decide off and I have no idea how to the same for other sheep.
I can't wait for companies like Librem 5 to make a real impact on the industry, cause at this point Poodroid is more annoying than the locked down garbage of iOS
JUST

t. seething doomer who just wants his Sony Experia Play back and has to vent incoherently to compensate for this desire

Attached: 1507774708405.gif (170x196, 919K)

>warp Charge 30
>closed back
Have fun wirlth the battery dying in half a year.

more ram means you can open more tings, not everyone is savy and closes stuff after using it

3-4 seems optimal for me. Switching between a few apps can be an issue on Android with 2.

>What caused the RAM race on smartphones
Android requiring shittons of memory

>Mclaren edition
If its anything like their current F1 team I can't imagine this as anything but an insult.

yes because you can cache MORE apps
unlike lets say apple that after 4 apps they close them down to save space

>loading things into RAM is bad when you're using slow flash storage

web browsing is hardware intensive

Fucking Xiaomi Mi Max 2 uses 1.9~2.1gb ram at idle. Can't even really multitask as there isn't enough ram, not to mention MIUI is shit and keeps aggressively shutting things down in the background.

This except idc about OS, can I write and use my own apps without restrictions or having to ask permission. Download a small SDK and nothing more required.

Maybe you shouldn't be using MIUI then?

BOO
YOU SUCK

Attached: 1417704748686.gif (280x210, 1.41M)

4GB Ram is enough for a phone, user
Idk why more Ram

Attached: ttte-face.jpg (900x900, 37K)

Here is a moral for 2018.

>Sent from my Lineage OS Xiaomi phone.

Based Zoomer

my galaxy s3 ram is basically full before i even do anything these days.
need more RAM just because of bloat-creep from software "updates".

Chinks eternally btfo

All these massive ram numbers seem to mostly be popping up in chinkphones not sold outside of china. I wonder what they in particular need all the RAM for? Social credit?

The use of Java and Objective-C (or worse: Swift with its fuckhuge runtime) as the main languages.

The goal was to stop the inevitable Indian software developers from leaking memory and writing crashing applications, but they ended up managing to do that anyway.
So now we're paying to price for the high abstractions AND shitty apps.

kek'd

Attached: 1532100920260.png (378x357, 81K)

Witnessed

Attached: f7c0c517a2a5ebfc.jpg (1080x1223, 431K)

Games.
Literally.

Pokemon go runs like shit.

Waste of a get

It's probably due to Google's on-device botnet code.

This I'm using a redmi note 4 with 3gb of ram and never had lag or any issue fucking ever.
I want to upgrade to anything with a better screen because muh bezels, but anything with 3gb ram is decent, but I want 4gb to stay safe all next year.

I bought the Mi A1 a year ago and it's still running fine, constant updates have corrected some minor bugs, and the 4GB of RAM are enough for me. Plus, it comes with stock Android, so no worries about MIUI.

never settle nigger cattle

>This needs to be some sort of meme RAM or advertisement trick right? How would phones be able to hold 8 gb of proper ram?

Attached: special boy.jpg (600x600, 29K)

>only six (You)s

>A day's power in 20 minutes
>A day's power
Smartphones were a mistake.

Attached: 1316615104289.png (1000x700, 907K)

Seems like Jow Forums is clever enough not to get into GET meme entirely.

You mean full of lefty no-fun-allowed affirmative action CS degree minorities

Sd cards are slow aa fuck

I'm using a moto e4 plus
its got a decent battery and runs everything i need it to
Only thing i could wish for is being able to load a custom os on it

Android has gotten shittier with every release, aggressively shittier in fact. 4.4.4 was the last release where anything actually got better.

It's not that bad compared to the most of leftist infested internet. And also not as degenerate as some other boards where GETs get dozens of shitty replies.

>not many people reply to the post with matching digits
>wow this board is full of fuckin no fun allowed lefty minorities

Attached: 1534830033670.jpg (418x475, 25K)

Based. First thing I did was replacing that shit with LineageOS 15.

It's the proliferation and accessibility of shit apps necessitating more RAM. Too many shitty developers writing shitty apps using shitty JS-based cross-platform frameworks. Yet somehow Xamarin--the only one of the lot that's not an affront to things like "peformance" and "correctness--is the tool falling to the wayside.

Webdevs and SJWs are gonna take us back to the stone age, I swear.

fucking luddite, who wants a laggy phone?

brrbrrbbbbbBRBRBBRROOOOOOOOOOOOM

ZzZZZZZZZZzzzzzzoooooooOOOOOOOOOMMMZOMZOMZOMZOM

BRRROMBROMBROMBRRRRROOOOOOOOOM

BROOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmm

IIIIIIIIEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHiiiiiehhhhh
iehiehiehh
ih

*gets out of mobile device*

Oh?

OH its you!

I almost didn't see you there,

it was all going so fast...

You know...

Here at OnePlus, we value performance.

*leans on mobile device*

FASTER performance.

*paces around mobile devices*

But what is performance?

*stops, looks directly into camera*

Performance is nothing...

*taps mobile device*

If it is not quick.

Our teams of engineers work hard to bring you

the fastest,agile,brisk,hot,nimble,quick,rapid,swift,accelerated,active,dashing,electric,flashing,fleet,flying,hurried,racing,ready,snappy,winged,streaking,breaknecking,chop-chopping,double-timing,expedititing,expediticiously,hairtriggering,hasty,hypersonic,in a jiffy,in nothing flat,lickety split,like a bat out of hell,like all get out,likecrazy,like mad,on the double,posthaste,presto,pronto,screamin',speedball,supersonic,velocious,

p e r f o r m a n c e.

*ahem*

*puts on helmet*

*enters mobile device*

Leave the other performances behind you in the dust.

Buy OnePlus.

BRRRR

BbbrrrRRROOOOOOOO

BRRROOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

ZZZOM ZZZOOOOOOOM ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOm

Attached: face2.jpg (487x366, 33K)

>OnePlus: launches phone with 10GB RAM memory
>Lenovo: hold my lassi

Attached: Screenshot_20181220-220815.png (718x1204, 292K)

>What caused the RAM race on smartphones?
Lazy & incompetent developers.
And managers pushing deadlines.

69OS Confirmed

the PCBs are also to spread the chips out further apart inorder to help with cooling at higher frequencies.

>india today
POO

I... didn't know that. Shit. Never even thought about that. Thank you, user.

*I'm not the one you quoted.

Truly over nine thousand opinion. Thank you for your presence, ser.

That's what happens when the majority of your userland is some bloated GC'd Java crap.

do you even know what the uncanny valley is? It's a feature of a specific chart. read a book lol

what a waste

MUI BTFO
Send from my xiamoLOS device :^)

The real reason is because people want to pay for it. The price of the flagship phones have been going up and up. People of ALL classes have been spending more on their phones and it will (or has) overtaken the market for personal computers and laptops already. You can only drive up the costs of a phone using better displays and camera's by so much. better socs and more ram is another way. once apps start using 6-10gb of ram on a phone then it will consolidate this move of your phone from a mobile device to the only device you'll [Normies] use to interact with the tech world.

Where do we get off this train? I dont want to live on this planet anymore

>LOS btfo

Attached: Screenshot_20181221-011525_Settings.png (1080x1920, 108K)

Just like how companies tried locking gaming to consoles so they can easily control the gamers. Companies are trying to lock basic computing to phones, so they can easily control the normies.

Eradicate freedom, eradicate privacy through mainstream brainwashing of the normies.

That's pretty easy, honestly.

Mobile provides have no fucking clue what they're doing.

Anons here are dumb. Android is unoptimized as fuck and so are apps but you still don't need 10 fucking GB. 4GB is fine.

fortnite

Gee how could you get that number user? Checked.