>open spec hardware
>no binary blobs in OS
>not Android/part of Google botnet
>can run Android apps using Anbox if you want
Is this Jow Forums's dream phone?

Attached: IMG_1301.png (261x460, 94K)

Other urls found in this thread:

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Debian-AH-Archive-Removal
puri.sm/posts/purism-collaborates-with-cryptocurrency-monero-to-enable-mobile-payments/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Should i preorder it bros

Do it. This is a good phone and if it succeeds we will get more good phones like this.

>$599 usd
I wish user

>no weboob
DROPPED

Not gonna lie, it looks pretty neat, but it's at least 100 bucks too expensive

I'm gonna preorder next week.

I have a Oneplus 6 and I preordered this.

>phone can run any Debian package
>weboob is a Debian package
Wtf are you talking about?

i have bad news for you
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Debian-AH-Archive-Removal

Attached: Screenshot_20181204_154839.png (1228x782, 682K)

You'll probably end up on some list if you buy one.

>implying you aren't free to install any package you want even if it's not included in the official list of Debian packages
That's the beauty of this phone. You can install whatever the *hug* you want.

>implying you aren't already on a list for browsing 4channel
>implying you aren't already on a list for being born and have your birth registered

I am currently using oneplus 6t but I'm looking forward on these projects. I hope they succeed, but honestly I doubt they'll gonna make it. It will be just for complete nerds, the people who believe in 2019 that lumias are good and unironically use them - very few people.

imagine being this much of a spineless unprincipled brainlet

>3 GB RAM
rip it's dead before it's even out

>>native Matrix.org messaging and Monero cryptocurrency clients
so it comes with crypto miner? lol

that's if you pre-order the phone otherwise probably closer to $750 lol

>implying having a successful enough phone for nerds that they keep making more of them isn't a good enough outcome

>rip it's dead before it's even out
3 GB is what's on the devkit but final specs are unconfirmed other than wanting to include as much RAM as CPU will support

>Is this Jow Forums's dream phone?
Yes, I plan to get one as soon as my OP2 kicks the bucket. The battery has started to not last as long, so we'll see how long it takes.

>so it comes with crypto miner? lol
puri.sm/posts/purism-collaborates-with-cryptocurrency-monero-to-enable-mobile-payments/

>can install Gentoo on it

Attached: G E N T O O.png (988x494, 89K)

Attached: IMG_5869.gif (800x430, 564K)

>no proper keyboard, directional pad, hardware buttons or anything else that provides a sane alternative to capacative touch input and makes the GNU/Linux component actually worthwhile as anything other than a novelty
>implying this shit is actually secure when it's going to spend 100% of its useful life connected to a government/megacorporate cellular network that can triangulate your position and profile your internet usage at all times if they want to
It's shit. Just buy fucking burner phones or, better yet, just leave your Facebook machine at home instead of spending six hundred fucking dollars on this utter relic.

Why is it being shilled so hard suddenly? This is the second blatant advertising thread for it this week.

Attached: 1539418757017.png (200x200, 55K)

What principle is it exactly that you're standing up for?

there is a hardware switch to disable the radios. the point is to only turn it on when it's safe to reveal your location
>no physical keyboard
my biggest gripe about it but it would probably double the price of the phone, wish they had included an OTG port

>wish they had included an OTG port
It has a USB-C OTG port.

Attached: IMG_1302.jpg (768x432, 49K)

oh never mind then, problem solved

Would be cool to have at least the option of a dalvik virtual machine to run regular apps i that sandbox. That way you still can use the vast app ecosystem if needed

>comes with systemd

you probably can install android on it but i don't see why you would

You can install Gentoo.

How would Subgraph work?

You can install Anbox to run Android apps.

You can just install it the way you would on any other computing device.

>there is a hardware switch to disable the radios. the point is to only turn it on when it's safe to reveal your location
When is ever "safe" to let people track and profile you? That's why it's so worthless, even if you turn it off occasionally for whatever reason, if you're actually intending to use it as a phone rather than a nerdy fashion accessory, you're basically going to have to keep it on constantly or at least enough that interested parties would be more than able to profile your daily routine and learn a lot about you without your consent.

Since GNU/Linux on mobile is so under-developed and the Librem's input options are just terrible to totally preclude the use of desktop applications or any dense/featureful interfaces in general, it's not like this device is very useful as a PDA/pocket computer, it's pretty much still an always-online internet terminal like any other smartphone.

It's good to start somewhere, but seriously, why the fuck is anyone content with this garbage? This isn't a dream phone, it's a money grab. A shitty chink phone with a different shitty operating system.

I supported the crowdfunding campaign ages ago.

Attached: Hidamari Sketch - Yuno 03.gif (900x955, 209K)

>This isn't a dream phone
What features would your dream phone have?

Attached: IMG_1323.jpg (640x478, 87K)

>5
what happened to the other 4?

It's a reference to the screen size.

That 100 dollars is for freedom!

>five-row slider with directional/touch pad for easy touchless navigation and handling denser interfaces
>user-customizable hardware buttons similar to what used to be standard on Android devices for easier one-handed operation, or at the very least a WebOS-style gesture area
>fullsize externally accessible SD card slot for quick transfers
>high-quality integrated PIM, and a small device-friendly LibreOffice implementation
Plus some other features that I don't really believe are plausible and I'm perfectly fine with that.
I basically want a device that takes all the good parts of post-iOS smartphones and pre-iOS smartphones/PDAs and blends them together in a modern, professional pocket computer package that is actually still useful when the kill switches are turned off and gives me the ability to actually take advantage of a GNU/Linux operating system as something more than a sticker/buzzword on the shelf talker.

Purism definitely has that pretentious aesthetic/brand image I'm looking for, but to me this thing's just another iClone with some extra switches on the side and no useful advantages from a purely practical standpoint.

Hardware keyboard on the small form factor of a smartphone wastes useful screen real estate while providing a mediocre typing experience (tiny hardware keys are not better than an on screen keyboard). If you need a better typing experience you can always connect a proper wired keyboard via USB-C to the phone or even a wireless Bluetooth keyboard. I'm not sure if the Librem 5 will have an SD slot but I think it's likely that it will, for every other peripheral need you may have, there is the USB-C port and the headphone jack. As for your software requirements, it will run all Linux software properly when plugged into a monitor and Purism is working with GNOME to allow apps built with GTK+ to adapt seamlessly to the small screen. If you don't support this phone, developers will not write software for it and your software concerns will never be addressed.

>Hardware keyboard on the small form factor of a smartphone wastes useful screen real estate
So does a software keyboard. Far more so, in fact, because where a hardware keyboard can partially occupy space that would otherwise be dedicated to an empty bezel, a software keyboard can only live on the screen, where it adds to the bezels as well as the wastefully large display elements often required of applications targeted to capacative touch devices.
Besides, that's why sliders exist and I specifically specified a slider design. You can have the best of both worlds, and I find them preferable.
>while providing a mediocre typing experience
Just like a software keyboard, but with less wasted screen and also more potential to gain competency over time through muscle memory. A keyboard is also more than just typing out tweets and texts, other than allowing the screen to actually be dedicated to displaying information, it's also quite useful as a means of mapping controls, hotkeys and other program functions to a tactile button.
>If you need a better typing experience you can always connect a proper wired keyboard via USB-C to the phone or even a wireless Bluetooth keyboard.
Then I have to carry a bulk-ass keyboard around me and a stand, and then find a flat surface to put it all on. No thanks, I'd rather just keep it all in my pocket. I'm not looking to type at 100 words per minute, I just want a sane method of input on a small computer.
>As for your software requirements, it will run all Linux software properly when plugged into a monitor
This is a stupid gimmick that entirely eliminates the point of having a GNU/Linux phone when a real desktop will do the same job infinitely better. The only reason I would ever see myself doing this would be if I briefly wanted a little more screen real estate to work on some document or project I started on the device, something I'd never, ever do on a Facebook terminal like this thing.
(continues)

(forgot some stuff I must have glossed over)
>I'm not sure if the Librem 5 will have an SD slot but I think it's likely that it will,
But what kind of SD slot? The reason I specified a full-size SD slot was because I can then pull the card out with all of my files and plug it in to practically any machine made in the last 10-15 years and continue working on them there, whereas with a MicroSD slot I would need to carry an adapter.
>for every other peripheral need you may have, there is the USB-C port and the headphone jack.
Great, more dongles. Hold me tight, or I might piss myself with excitement.
(now continuing)
>Purism is working with GNOME to allow apps built with GTK+ to adapt seamlessly to the small screen
This is great, because they're going to need it. But I have no optimistic outlook on it, if anything even comes of it in the first place. You can't just seamlessly adapt a cluttered desktop interface to a phone in a way that actually works well, and any productive application is once again going to be useless when half of the screen area is wasted by a software keyboard that will probably auto-correct you into a frustrated tantrum within a few minutes anyway.
>If you don't support this phone, developers will not write software for it and your software concerns will never be addressed.
That's great, because I really see no point in owning one even if it did have software, and I have no interest in supporting such a mediocre device that seems to pretty much just pay lip service to most of its principles in an effort to dupe gullible crowd funders.

>fullsize sd
>on a phone
yep, a retarded shill indeed

phone looks good on paper, worth $500 if it really delivers half of what it says it will

Handhelds has full-size SD slots for years, often with CF or even PCMCIA on top of it to boot. What exactly is retarded about wanting more versatility in a device, it won’t be thin and fashionable enough for you?
>shill
This is literally a Purism marketing thread. They’ve been spamming this shit all week.

Is this a real phone?

>has
had*

>600 USD
>worst hardware than a 50 USD android phone
>vaporware
It's trash lel.

No it is going to have built in integration with Monero wallet and possibly Kavori. The only crypto coin worth hording.

Fed identified.

Attached: 1545427314069.jpg (640x583, 44K)

It's in development and is supposed to start shipping in April 2019. You can preorder it now.

This

or replicant

A t9 keyboard.
The touch keyboard experiment was a fun one, but let's be honest, it doesn't work.

>plug in monitor and keyboard/mouse to use as desktop computer
I'll never understand why they picked GNOME of all things, then.
You have Unity 8 which is already ported to mobile and convergent, and Plasma Mobile+Kirigami, which is already used in some mobile distros.
Even Mate, LX(insert framework) and Xfce i've seen used well on some UMPC's.
Gnome is heavy, inexperienced with this stuff and cumbersome af, by comparison.

i actually like this idea.

it’ll be interesting to have an a new-to-the-phone-market chipset on it too. it’s a pity android devices have moved so far from traditional embedded linux devices. lack of mainline support and open device drivers are the biggest issue with modern phones, i feel.

What about GSM support?

>runs Debian

can it install the weboob package?

Tits

Attached: 1449300563191.jpg (553x517, 70K)

The compositor itself is not Mutter, but something custom based on wlroots. Also, Unity is not a Wayland compositor.
The UI elements are GTK3.

But this shit is supposed to customisable; you're not locked into Gnome garbage.

I support it verbally, but my convictions to use my current lg g3 as long as lineageos security updates work, are higher up there than buying a new phone

I would love a linux phone thats slightly less autistic.

?

>600$

>t9 keyboard
I miss this shit

Attached: 1545414010463.png (1920x1080, 1.08M)

Nah they forgot that

> GSM already supported out of the box.

kek, missing out on GSM support would be such a bad move.

>if

Are you implying that it doesn't stand a chance or that it will be a huge success?

Attached: 1542695729181.jpg (600x650, 77K)

would I be able to run whatsapp? i know it's botnet but literally everyone I know exclusively uses it and they will never swap to something better

Does anbox work now?

There have been two delays so far. Who knows?

doesn't aluminum act as a neurotoxin and a carcinogen in the human body?

That's what (((they))) want you to think

I'm going to get one just because of this paragraph alone

Attached: 1535565691702.png (1164x193, 32K)

i'd go full freetard and order something like this, but i won't ever pay more than 400$ for a phone.

If they deliver then I'd 100% put down the money, but I think they are trying to do too much in too few time which will inevitable fizzle out.

A Debian phone with working internet, texts and calls, wifi and bluetooth is all they should be focusing on imo atm. Nail those, then make a better second model.

Anyway would love to be proven wrong.

Meant the DE.
And even so, we already have stuff like Mir, or the compositor used by Sailfish, if you want mature, mobile-ready Wayland implementations.

Maybe he's implying that there's also that pine64 phone and finnish librem 5 clone with a worse processor. Neither of which have the minimum 6GB of ram that's /spg/ acceptable in the current year.

way too expensive no thanks
will keep using my motorola razr until they shut the 3g networks down

>finnish librem5 clone
Never heard of this one, what's it called?

Necuno moble.

>$816 CAD
>$600 USD

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Do people REALLY pay that much for a phone?

Attached: 1522212701875.gif (500x491, 376K)

Stop being poor.

Damn. CAD is basically like monopoly money.

does it have snapchat and blue text bubbles?

It doesn't have a native Snapchat client unless the phone becomes popular enough for Snap Inc. to develop one. However, it can run any Android app using Anbox, so in this sense, it does run Snapchat (although the entire point of the phone is to move away from the Google botnet). As for blue text bubbles, it is highly unlikely that it will ever run iMessage, so it's not going to have iMessage blue chat bubbles. However, the native chat client incorporates SMS and E2E encrypted chat via Matrix, and these two modes of communication will be distinguished in a similar fashion to the green/blue chat bubbles on iMessage.

>gnome
into the trash

i would get one if i wasnt a broke wigger

>Faggot SJW tranny scum and white knight cucks get upset at what is literally "Web OoB", not "We Boob"

Its more than likely to flop, but I'd get one.

>>plug in monitor and keyboard/mouse to use as desktop computer
>>no proper keyboard, directional pad, hardware buttons or anything else that provides a sane alternative to capacative touch input and makes the GNU/Linux component actually worthwhile as anything other than a novelty
?????

This

Do you think the web maps have any chance to work?

He means on the actual phone in phone-mode, like blackberry keyboards and such.

>implying you aren't already on a list for using a computer
>implying you aren't already on a list for using internet

>baseband separated from CPU via USB interface
lol, this is common. baseband is wired via serial to the main soc and the system treats it like a modem. this has been true since the first smartphones came out. it's so funny that they turn this reality into a fucking feature

Do you get spied on if you use Google Maps with Anbox? I just want to be able to find restaurant and bars when I'm traveling. I doubt the native Map apps would be as good.

>muh cant even live without muh gapps
Kill
Your
Self
Niggerfaggot