Ive been having some trouble finding direct info on capture cards that have thier own onboard h...

Ive been having some trouble finding direct info on capture cards that have thier own onboard h.264 encoder and thier compatibility with older gens of PCIe. Capture cards with onboard encoders are mostly what im after like the Elgato HD60

Basically i have an older PC i don't use much that is on the X58 platform with an i7-950 and 12gb of ram in the now discontinued triple channel and would like to use it as a capture PC for my stream. In game though i have great frame rate ill have a stutter here or there that causes me to miss a shot. Id like to start competing in Quake So though this used to be a minor annoyance id like to resolve it for competing. I also never hit 100% cpu usage, temps are more then fine on everything, it only appears while streaming.

The X58 chipset only supports pcie 2.0 and the i7-950 is a bit older then suggested, but if the card is using its own hardware and oboard encoder i imagine it wouldnt have a highloard on CPU regardless? would this be a bad idea?

Alternatively if it has its own onboard encoder and is not just a capture card could i gain a benefit in using it in my current PC for streaming? Specs for that one are i7-6700k OC 4.5ghz, gtx 1080, 16gb ram, everything using multiple 860 evo ssds. Would it just offload any load from video encoding to the capture/encoder card and reduce or stop stutter?

Any help would be awesome thanks.

Attached: hd60.jpg (2222x1100, 179K)

Other urls found in this thread:

help.twitch.tv/customer/en/portal/articles/2420572-guide-to-broadcast-he#SettingsandRequirements
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

nobody wants to watch you play video games

lol that may be true. But id also enjoy announcing matches and spectating both sides and such for comp.

pcie 2.0 is more than enough for an elgato hd60

x4 and x1 speeds though, i forget

Would i gain anything from tossing it into my current stream/game PC? i hear conflicting things on whether itll Off load any encoding to its onboard encoder for streaming. Right now i switch between h.264 on my cpu and nvenc on my gpu. If possible this would be great for some space saving

hmmmmmm

No don't fuck you OP

Stop playing video games

Do shit with your life

i work on motorcycles for a dealer as a job. This is a hobby in my free time. Been playing quake for about 15 years now

Oh nice dude. Do you fix em up and shit?

My B I jumped to conclusions. I'm in college and I see a lot of guys using video games for escapism and shit, avoid talking to girls and getting a job or starting a business

I used to flippem but i just work for a local dealer now. Im really into Dualsports but i work on anything generally. Searching for a dr650 for myself tho these days sold my drz400sm and gsx600f recently so just want something new

> it only appears while streaming.
what are your stream settings?

that i7 950 with a dedicated hardware encoder is enough, PCIe2.0 x1 can do 500MBp/s, the limiting factor here will be the max bit rate on whatever card you buy

there is a hardware encoder on the 6700k it is called QSV, (not on by default if you have a dedicated GPU)
there is a hardware encoder on the 1080, it is called NVENC

I suggest testing them out

Yeah i switch between Nvenc and h.264 currently but other then stream quality with h.264 being better i dont see much difference in stutter and only a slight change in FPS

QSV ive never seen or tried but ill check it out

Stream settings are pretty normal Outputting at 720 downscale filter of 32 at 60fps

CBR rate control with a bit rate of 4000 on the high performance preset within OBS

That x58 build also has a 960 in it that i could use nvenc with in tandem with a capture card.

I guess i just really wonder that if i buy a capture card, with a dedicated hardware encoder onboard and install it into a single PC setup (my 6700k build) would i see a benefit? I cant really find a solid answer on it. The X58 would be a backup

>4000
Non-partners are limited to 3500 on twitch
help.twitch.tv/customer/en/portal/articles/2420572-guide-to-broadcast-he#SettingsandRequirements

As for your stutter i'm not sure, using a different PC will fix this if it truely is the source of your stuttering, but i've used NVENC with steam and it didn't cause stuttering for me so I have my doubts that it is the source.

>NVENC with steam and it didn't cause stuttering for me so I have my doubts that it is the source.

Ive run benchmarks for Doom 2016, Quake and Overwatch and setup a camera with a phone pointing at the "nightmare stats" and Only while streaming am i able to reproduce the stutter. Though also checking reports with timing for Cpu usage and Gpu usage its not when CPU is at 100% or anything. I can say without a doubt that it only happens while streaming but other then that im a bit confused as to why. I do see higher numbers in ms for both GPU and CPU response time as well as full stops but thats it.

>Non-partners are limited to 3500 on twitch
Ive just kept it at that amount since pax east as i talked to someone at twitch and they told me its not a hard barrier tho ive never seen any change between 3500 and higher amounts

>doubts that it is the source
Taking preformance away from a gpu for video encoding can cause that. Nigga what the fuck you streaming if you aint eva seen ppl talk about that

Overwatch with the GTX 970's older version of NVENC is what I was using specificaly, although I was running at 720p not downscaling at all.

Earlier this year a friend of mine was streaming over 3500k and it looked great but was choppy, once he lowered it below that it went back to 60fps, that is the main reason I point that out, because i've seen it and twitch has announced no policy change. But I would take the twitch staffs word over mine

Missed the part where I said "I'm not sure" as if implying there is a part of me that does believe him even if it is contradictory to my own experience.

I should remove down scaling and see if that helps with stutter at all, i havent tried that in a while

>I guess i just really wonder that if i buy a capture card, with a dedicated hardware encoder onboard and install it into a single PC setup (my 6700k build) would i see a benefit?
any thoughts on that though?

I do have an old 960,970,750ti,760 that i could toss in thios build and just use it as a dedicated card for video encoding but ive had some problems with that in the past but ive heard its improved greatly.

as I said, it would solve your issue, but the benefit depends on the card you buy, Capture cards are pretty dam expensive, so if you buy a cheap one you might only get 50mbps, 1080p@60fps which is mroe than enough for streaming but might be annoying if you wanna record something at a higher res, or framerate. On the plus side a dedicated streaming PC could have extra storage just for video, such as recording while streaming, although Nvidia said NVENC cards are supposed to support 2 simultaneous jobs so you should be able to do this now, I just never tested it. and you could even have it be a server for other things like a discord server bot.

Eh its only 130-150 for the HD60 internal. Its the only one elgato makes with a onboard encoder. But i guess what im not getting is if i buy one with a dedicated encoder if i could use it in a single PC setup and see benefits. But if not i could always fall back to the X58 build and toss it in that.

The channels growing and i do want to compete so either way i do have to toss some cash i guess unless i use OBS over network capture with another PC but thats a pain in the ass for full setup.

Just finished benching Overwatch. Non streaming i did my benchmark path in the training room 10 times for 3 sessions and was able to hold a steady frame rate between 270-300 with no stutter all low at 1440p 100% res scale

Nvnec on we dropped down between 230-50 (peaks higher but not always) but stutter was introduced . Stutter wast at consistent intervals and didnt correlate with explosions or anything. GPU usage at 99% cpu usage 60-70

I don't know what you mean by "benefits"
You said the game stutters when recording using hardware encoders

If you move the hardware encoder to a different PC then the game will stop stuttering because it wont be running that extra program in the background, what other benefit would you expect? you still have the same resolutions, same connection to twitch server, same non-strictly enforced cap of 3500kbps. If you want a higher quality video you could switch to a software encoder on the 2nd machine or up the bitrate.

>if i could use it in a single PC setup and see benefits. But if not i could always fall back to the X58 build and toss it in that.
I think I misunderstood, are we talking about tossing the PCIe card into
1. your gaming PC
2. "a single pc setup"
3. "x58 build"

scenario 2 and 3 are equivalent, while scenario one is very marginally slightly worse because the CPU has to run the streaming program even if it isn't doing the encode job, but the difference should hardly be noticeable, like it wouldn't(shouldn't) cause these stutters you're getting.

Pretty sure every capture card has an onboard encoder, the non-internal ones have to record consoles somehow

welp that is a rip, I guess you should just go external, or try the QSV route, there are guides online for how to set it up

>You said the game stutters when recording
Nah just streaming, i dont record

>Pretty sure every capture card has an onboard encoder

Many internal ones dont. Such as the 4k60 Pro from elgato. Unlike the HD60 pro Internal that does have its own.

>I think I misunderstood, are we talking about tossing the PCIe card into

If possible toss it into my 6700k gaming pc. The HD60 Pro has an internal hardware encoder as well as just being a capture card. If installed into gaming/pc i stream off of currently will it offload most if not all encoding to HD60pro and reduce performance lost by streaming aka my stutter i assume.

Then i just meant if that is nort a possibility i can toss it in my old X58 for a dual stream setup and call it.

thanks for all the comments BTW my man

>record
right I keep thinking record instead of stream

>many Inteernal ones don't
I forgot the 4k60 from elgato doesn't because it is the only one i've seen that doesn't. Are you sure about this? because i've been looking for just a passthrough device for awhile

>will it offload most if not all encoding to HD60pro and reduce performance lost by streaming aka my stutter i assume.
ah, Yes, that is what will/is supposed to happen, although the NVENC is supposed to do that too, yet for some reason you're taking quite the performance hit, the SIP core is supposed to be different from the regular cuda cores

QSV uses the GPU on your 6700k, since that wont be the primary GPU, the one running the game, it shouldn't cause the game to stutter too

np

gonna cook dinner ill check back on this thread later

Sry im on mobile while im cookin must have both posted at the same time almost. I dont have it up in front of me but i believe many of the Avermedia lineup dont but some do.

And yeah the stutter with nvenc is nuts, just regular h.264 is much worse tho