Why are Chrome and Edge so much snappier and faster than Firefox?

inb4 b-but muh privacy

Attached: chrome-canary.jpg (900x506, 60K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Dashboard:-Settings#disable-pre-fetching
twitter.com/cpeterso/status/1021626510296285185
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I can't pin-point a specific reason, but Firefox is known to have a poor quality codebase. Maybe it does too many unnecessary syscalls or such.

Chrome is only fast on my Samsung phone. Have an old iPad the native Safari beats anything else on it. On the laptop I got Debian stable and use Chromium currently. Firefox is faster sometimes but needs a lot of tweaking and it's not with every site.

Why doesn't firefox preload pages as well

I disable that in Chrome too. I tweak the webrender, memory, gpu acceleration, parallel processes.

Sounds good, can you send me your config file?

Mozilla is busy spending all their money on diversity efforts, not improving their codebase.

I use Iridium to get the chromium speed. It's not even close in comparison.

I've found something like that in :configs, but not sure if it's really that
Anyone knows up-to-date reference for :config entries?

firefox doesnt eat my RAM so I dont care

Chrome uses less RAM than FF

Why do zoomer retards on Jow Forums not understand the problems with a web browser monopoly? I'd suggest we need someone to write another browser, but we all know Jow Forums has no idea what they fuck they're doing there too.

Who would've thought a fortune 500 company that hires the world's elite would produce a better product than amateur chucklefucks?
Google deserve their place, their products just work better.

Chrome is anything but snappy on PC.
On Android however, FF is complete garbage. From the awful scrolling to the interface.

>anything but
Are you running on a C2D

>hires the worlds elite
No they don't.
>produce a better product
No they don't.
>Google deserve their place
No they don't.
>their products just work better
No they don't.

And you're still being a dumb fuckwit regarding web browser monopolies too. How fucking young are you?

>4 x No they don't.
Not an argument, fellar. The facts speak for themselves, Google is one of the hardest to reach work places.

Hardest to reach does not mean they hire the world's elite. They're currently subject to a bunch of lawsuits over this issue even. Discriminating on sex and politics means they aren't hiring on merit and thus aren't hiring the elite.

Their products are bloated as fuck and have inferior web standards support for no good reason. Remember MathML?

And fucking nobody deserves to be a monopoly. Especially when they're already leveraging their monopolies in other areas. If you think it's okay then you are clearly underageb&.

>Hardest to reach does not mean they hire the world's elite.
You've never looked for a job, have you? Google interviews are on algorithms, not """"lean design"""", that's why people like you can't enter.
>bloated as fuck
List 5 bloated features right now and show how they should work instead.
>nobody deserves to be a monopoly
Oops! You don't have the authority to decide such things.
>If you think it's okay
I do think it's okay to be surrounded by professionally written software, not some designed by seething autists.

Browsing experience on firefox is absolute dogshit. Most of the sites are broken (Youtube animated thumbnail preview doesn't work) and some sites are straight up not supported (Google Earth). Also, I have encountered so many captchas on firefox than any other browser. Captchas are sometimes unsolvable too. Never experienced these issues on Chrome/ium, Vivaldi or Brave only in firefox. Maybe the SJW's in Mozilla should better invest all the donation money on browser development instead of Diversity program firefox would've a respectable market share.

Because Google devs are actually competent?
You can hate them but their products usually work very well, especially by freeware standards.

Attached: ce8c3beb5685b2bd7c2f5fcaee04ca36a091d2c741a036254afea8919e723a2a.png (568x619, 214K)

based shotaposter

You must be 18 or over to post on this site you little shit.

SEETHE BITCH

Apple doesnt allow other browser engines but their own, so that might explain it

back to-----------

Youtube uses a shitty code base that pretty much only works on chrominium

Point me to the source code you find smelly

>23 Replies
>Not a single attempt to provide any evidence whatsoever that Chrome is actually faster than Firefox

The absolute STATE of Jow Forums.

>he wants evidence that bloatblob #1 is faster than bloatblob #2
How about we do the sensible thing and avoid both bloatblobs?

It does but if you use uBlock Origin it will be disabled by default.
github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Dashboard:-Settings#disable-pre-fetching

So what's a non-bloat browser? Lynx? No way, that has colored text, waste of VRAM.

>all mentioned broken websites are owned by Google
really makes you think...

test

A good heuristic is javascript. Any browser that supports javascript is bloated garbage.

Firefox Quantum is good, actually.

t. switched back from Chrome a week ago after years away from FF

You are aware that even microsoft called google out on hindering non-chromium browsers by implementing experimental shit on their sites that only works on chrome, right? I be they will get slapped with a hefty fine by market regulators for that in the future but the damage is already done so the execs at alphabet will slap themselves on the shoulder get a raise.
There is a reason why microsoft dropped edge and uses chromium now.

I want to agree with you, but you haven't presented a single argument. You just said "No, you" I think you've won because, for you, it's so self evident. And it pisses me off retards like you that don't understand the word "Monopoly". If Chromium is a "monopoly" because consumers willingly are choosing this, forking their privacy for convenience, then who the fuck are you to say they're wrong?

Why, because 15% of web devs overuse visual effects because their clients wanted them to? There's nothing wrong with javascript.

>inb4 b-but muh privacy
Use UnGoogled Chromium you retarded nigger.

I'm not going to manually add and update extensions like some moron, nor cope with outdated browser releases, nor build the entire browser myself.

This, chrome is best on mobile devices and Firefox is best for PC

I never said Chrome is a monopoly right now. It's just headed in that direction fast. The reasons why that is bad are self evident to anyone who has been around long enough to remember the browser wars of the IE5 and IE6 era. And the "consumers willingly choose this" argument falls the fuck down because a) that has nothing to do with the bad effects of monopolies and b) Google is leveraging their monopolies in other areas (eg youtube) to make Chrome seem better than it otherwise would be and encourage people to use it.

Having turing complete client side scripting is the root of all the security issues, sandbox issues, intrusive advertising issues, and slow bloat that plagues browsers today. There's also plenty wrong with Javascript specifically, but the complaint is the functionality and not the particular instance of it. Someone could replace Javascript tomorrow with another turing complete browser scripting language and everything would still be equally shit.

> Doesn't want to manually update extensions
> Thinks a browser needs to be always up to date
> Can't compile the entire browser from source
What are you even doing on Jow Forums?? Gtfo

t. never used Firefox more recent than 52

>Having turing complete client side scripting is the root of all the security issues, sandbox issues, intrusive advertising issues, and slow bloat that plagues browsers today.
I've never experienced any of the listed issues. On the other hand, security issues caused by javascript are a myth, browsers are constantly updated.
However, the internet is mostly unusable without javascript, so that's another win. Even rasp pi's are powerful enough to run modern browsers. Seems like you're just suffering from autism.
That's completely idiotic.

>security issues caused by javascript are a myth
top kek, uneducated plebanon

>security issues caused by javascript are a myth

Attached: satanloli.gif (500x500, 256K)

For the third time in the thread, point me to source code that is insecure.

Saying
>self evident to anyone who has been around long enough to remember the browser wars of the IE5 and IE6 era
Is not an argument. Actually, you haven't made a single argument against chrome or chromium, only against browsers in general. For someone who's arguing AGAINST chrome, you'd think there would be an alternative. Saying "something is bad and you should know it" implies that the person you're talking to already agrees with you. If that were the case, why would we be talking? Surely you know what an argument is?

Jesus christ just fucking websearch it. Articles on javascript security problems are common as dirt.

Quantum was a mistake

I want active security holes, 0 days. You know - actual threats.

Are you blitheringly retarded? (Probably, but let's assume you're only pretending.) I have been explicitly arguing against browser monopolies. So of fucking COURSE there aren't going to be many/any viable alternatives. Were you even out of primary school during the first browser war?

[all me btw]

It literally uses more RAM and is more crash prone lmao

It`s not a monopoly you god damn retard. The original definition of monopoly meant: a government grant permission to operate without challenge. If we use the legal definition of monopoly, or the assumed modern definition of their consequences IT HAS NEVER HAPPENED. I fucking challenge you to find me a single monopoly WITHOUT THE STATE INVOLVEMENT where the assumed EFFECTS of monopoly actually happened (increased price and worsening of the service). You have been throwing your old faggotry as if it mean something, the only thing that I'm getting at is that you're huge faggot.

Libertarian retard detected

>The original definition of monopoly meant: a government grant permission to operate without challenge
bender_laughing_even_harder.gif
You weren't even fucking BORN when Microsoft was on trial for monopolistic practices with embedding IE into Windows. I'm almost certain of that now.

twitter.com/cpeterso/status/1021626510296285185

Works fine in Chrome, not an issue.

Your kitchen knife works fine in your lung too. No problems detected. You should try it out real quick. Go on, just slide it right in there between the ribs.

The sad part is that you might be right. But you can't argue to save your life. It's specially sad because that's a field that you clearly knows more than I do, but you can't prove your claims.

>edge
Shill. How would you know how edge compares?
Nobody uses it.

Fucking LOOK IT UP you lazy little shit. I ain't got time to spoonfeed willfully ignorant internet shills.

It does not have knives where it lives. It must be calm and sit on the chair.

Let me guess, you think the Standard Oil was a monopoly?

This thread is a disaster, I literally wanted reasons why firefox is better.

There is none. Or that's what these retards have convinced me.

Google sabotages non chromium based browsers with their embedded scripts.

But it's not, the only advantage is that it's FOSS, and most Chromium alternatives are too.

>Chrome and Edge so much snappier and faster than Firefox
Chrome starts to lag after opening 3 or 4 tabs while Firefox runs perfectly on my low-end potato while also letting me use many more tabs if needed, so I'll call bs on that.

>It literally uses more RAM
Firemin, about:config tweaks or both, whatever floats your boat.

>is more crash prone
You're literally full of bs, just like OP.

That would prevent adblocking

because Edge has the fastest render engine followed by Chrome
Failfox is busy deleting "slave" meanwhile.

you are aware chrome loads content in the background while Firefox stops inactive tabs?

With 300 Tabs in Chrome Chrome uses at least a gig of Ram.

with 2000 Tabs in Firefox it uses 500mb.

I don't see how that's a problem, I just asked why chrome is faster. Thanks for the answer.

Yes that u nigger

tfw people don't unterstand That chrome isn't faster (measure it on equal devices chrome is noticeably slower) but Google simply incorporated psychological design measures that make it feel faster. It is the same thing as with Windows.Vista/7 file copy dialog. One feels way faster than the other but actually there Is no difference a human could ever be able to tell.

Just proves how many zoomers are on Jow Forums. probably all of you use win10

waterfox with little customization and privacy tighten doesn't have this problem

need config or flags screenshoot please

It literally loads pages faster for fucks sake

It's not snappier. That meme died when quantum released

Quantum is botnet. IceCat or nothing.

Icecat is still quantum, my boy.

>Quantum is botnet
Elaborate.

It has Synch and all the other privacy degrading features.
It's ESR

Elaborate on how Quantum itself is botnet. I know Mozilla added shit to the latest versions. Stuff you can disable. Also, you are correct in that Icecat is ESR, but the current ESR (the one icecat is based on) is version 60. Quantum came in version 57.

>It's ESR
Current ESR is firefox 60. So yes, icecat is quantum and if it is not for you then you are using outdated packages. Are you a debian user perhaps?

Dude fuck off You and the guy above just don't understand, It runs Javascript on every website and it has a ton of features
Devuan

>Devuan
Well, you should holler at your package maintainers then. The version you are using is clearly outdated and that needs to be corrected.
Also, quantum is a marketing name for firefox above 57. It has nothing to do with privacy invading features. It got a meme release name to signal that it got faster due to implementing photon and all the other rendering rewrites that were in the works for years.

i'm new here i didn't know there was a reddit subforum

>look mom I am shilling again

Because FF is older, has more legacy code, whereas Chromium is newer. It was built for speed first (when it first started you couldn't even do basic things like modify HTTP headers with extensions, this all contributes to faster code)

firefox is pretty shit too, and is also botnet, but for some reason anything blink-based occasionally just freezes for me, and it makes these weird gray artifact boxes that just stay on top of the screen until i kill the browser. there's nothing good.

weird i would've said the opposite after switching to FF after years of chrome/chromium

That's the nature of hardware accelerated rendering. Different codepaths hit different bottlenecks on different drivers. That's why everything should be open source so that shit can be optimized by people actually using those codepaths or be changed when they can properly debug hardware and realize they poked shit wrong.
We wouldn't have to deal with that mess that is GPU drivers "optimized" for games if that were the case. Now GPU vendors have to carry optimizations for shitty implemented rendering.

>That's why everything should be open source so that shit can be optimized by people actually using those codepaths or be changed when they can properly debug hardware and realize they poked shit wrong.
Lol when does it ever happen that some dude gets pissed off and actually goes to work on a project instead of insulting it and switching?

That’s the 3rd most retarded thing I’ve read today

Links.

Text based, so it avoids image bloat.

user, please. Who you're quoting just said:
>Google simply incorporated psychological design measures that make it feel faster
So is pre-fetching, not really "load faster" as they render/draw about the same speed.