Is there a single reason to use a 3.5" Hard Drive in this day and age?

Is there a single reason to use a 3.5" Hard Drive in this day and age?

>need their own AC power source, giving you a higher power bill
>less shock resistant than 2.5", meaning you can't safely move it around while in use
>bigger, heavier
>no advantage in storage capacity
>no advantage in transfer speed
>no advantage in reliability
>maybe slightly cheaper, but that's quickly offset by the higher power cost
Seriously, why would you ever buy a big external hard drive over a smaller, portable one?

Attached: external.jpg (600x532, 20K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B01FXDVSNG/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_e.eiCb4KGMB1T
amazon.com/dp/B0713WPGLL/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_nafiCbJKS7PKP
youtube.com/watch?v=nqwx2XFb1fQ
amazon.com/dp/B00JJEUL5W/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_D-kiCb9WR750G
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Show me a 10 TB portable drive.

My point is there is no reason to buy a 4tb desktop drive over a 4tb portable drive. It baffles me they even sell those big pieces of shit in such capacities.

>>no advantage in storage capacity

If there is no disadvantage to a smaller drive, why do 3.5's not hold more date? Platters have more surface area than a 2.5.

>date

data.

The external drive has a second controller that can go bad

>no advantage in storage capacity
Wat. It's like 2TB vs 15TB.

You can buy 2tb versions of the desktop sized ones. Those are pointless.

Well yes, buying

What should I do, buy a 4tb Desktop Drive for $98 USD, or a 4tb Portable Drive for $112 USD? I'm choosing between these two:

$98: amazon.com/dp/B01FXDVSNG/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_e.eiCb4KGMB1T

$112: amazon.com/dp/B0713WPGLL/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_nafiCbJKS7PKP

Attached: 1545587840697.jpg (254x488, 69K)

>he needs to carry around portable drives

If price and speed are the same (they aren't half the time) then there is no benefit for a 4tb 3.5 vs a 4tb 2.5

The main benefits are: faster, bigger storage sizes

But as I said, if the same size is available there's no benefit.

If the entire crux of your argument relies on comparing drives equal in storage capacity but not equal in physical form factor, than you should have mentioned that in the OP

there absolutely IS a storage capacity advantage to the 3.5" drive format.

when I click those links, the smaller drive is $99 and the desktop drive is $109

I'd buy the "portable" 2.5" drive because it receives power over USB and it looks like you need a portable hard drive and not an internal drive

im guessing if windows shits the bed for whatever reason having external power will save it.

I just posted the links for specs if anyone can notice a difference. I'm not using Amazon, nor do I live in the US.

>and it looks like you need a portable hard drive and not an internal drive
I just want something I can use for a Nvidia Shield's Plex Server & Game roms. Some have told me the bigger 3.5" is better for that, but I'm still unsure.

It's never going to move away from the Shield.

OP I'm concerned you may be retarded mostly for using external drives

Not necessarily

Attached: IMG_20181224_005507_edit.jpg (2638x1484, 838K)

i bet u say dah-ta instead of day-ta

youtube.com/watch?v=nqwx2XFb1fQ

>need their own AC power source
This is why I use it.
Made an extremely cheap hi-fi system with a pair of old, but really good speakers, a self made amplifier, and various connectors, one with usb port.
It's not strong enough to power my external hdd, but with the drives AC adapter it's not a problem.
I connected it to my smart home system, so when I get home it starts playing music

Isn't it always a better idea to just buy an HDD dock/toaster and plug in an internal HDD or two?

Wait. Isn't that what we are talking about? 3"5 external drives

I mean internal drives in an external casis

If you had a tiniest idea about how a market works, you would know that if there is a supply for an item, it means there is a demand for said item. From this point you can safely assume that even if you arent bright enough to understand why would people buy "x" over "y", the fact remains that there indeed IS a reason for it.

Honey, we're talking about these:

amazon.com/dp/B00JJEUL5W/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_D-kiCb9WR750G

Attached: volans.jpg (800x800, 44K)