/mkg/ - Mechanical Keyboard General

/mkg/ - Jow Forums memeboard edition

>what do you have
>what do you want
>why did you have to buy a keyboard with browns because you couldnt use one with clears since you still live at your basement
>why is this placebo
>why are you poor and you have to chose a keyboard with chink cherry mx knockoffs
>why do you type faster at your rubber dome $5 keyboard
>why did you spent your paycheck on those fancy keycaps
>why did you spent $200 in a keyboard and you aren't able to touchtype
>why haven't you been to gboards.ca

Also, General mechanical keyboard thread.

Attached: 49039904_2324032247827718_7445152617354756096_n.jpg (3264x2448, 889K)

Other urls found in this thread:

aliexpress.com/store/product/Plum-Nano-75-RGB-35g-45g-Bluetooth-Wireless-USB-Double-Module-Realforce-Structure-Capacitive-Keyboard/429151_32738192684.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.4.7f043557X5UvaF
aliexpress.com/store/product/HEXGEARS-Hot-Swappable-Keyboard-Anti-Ghosting-Backlight-104-Keys-Kailh-Box-Switch-Hot-Swappable-PCB-Gaming/4215012_32950328926.html
digikey.ca/product-detail/en/sparkfun-electronics/TOL-14456/1568-1752-ND/7902306
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Recommend me good keyboard for someone who has never used keyboard before (only laptop)
brown switches or red and maybe less than 150$

Attached: bferbwfbewfbe.jpg (604x516, 31K)

Can't say I've ever got a tray of MCUs. This is a little nuts to be honest.

Attached: 48395625_344974356318518_3845897081877168128_n.jpg (3264x2448, 1.01M)

What's the primary use? Do you like small or large? Numpad? Split boards?

Tell us what you want in a board user

Attached: 48426803_793588911033688_3970608183235313664_n.jpg (3264x2448, 836K)

Did mkg die while I was out for two weeks, or is everyone busy with Christmas shit?

Attached: 47392921_2301012783303967_3644111847499497472_n.jpg (2802x1215, 899K)

I think somewhere in the middle, so it would be TKL right? that sounds pretty good size ty ty

Check out the Filco Majestouch 2 it might fit the bill. It's a good entry level board, but if you want something crazy with QMK support that won't be it.

Also holy fuck JLC is taking forever to audit my order. I got gBoards and Gergos to ship fuuuuuuck.

should I get pandas from ass drop? I want to use them for osu

You should try a dedicated Osu board with hotswaps. Train on really heavy switches and swap em out for super light switches when you need it

I got some mx greens on my numbpad and silvers on my main board

Not bad that would do it. What's the deal with the Holy Pandas anyway?

Is there a simple way to swap out switches? This is taking forever.

Attached: maxresdefault[1].jpg (1280x720, 108K)

Anyone ever used one of these? It took my a while to filter through tons of gaymur LED lit trash to find a reasonably priced mechanical keyboard with a nice business aesthetic but here it is, and with pretty good reviews as well. I'm about to pull the trigger, just wanted to know what you all think about it.

Attached: snapshot3.png (930x501, 233K)

Have a Code 104 w/ cherry clears
I want pic related but willing to settle for a 75% keyboard
Really prefer a keyboard that is completely flat so you can see the switches from the side like the Logitech G413
I'm kind of bad at finding what I want because I'm don't know all the terminology and shit

Any help is appreciated

Attached: Dream.png (828x370, 18K)

It's 100$ and you won't look like a goon at work. Give her shit rick.

plum nano/75

aliexpress.com/store/product/Plum-Nano-75-RGB-35g-45g-Bluetooth-Wireless-USB-Double-Module-Realforce-Structure-Capacitive-Keyboard/429151_32738192684.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.4.7f043557X5UvaF

Don't get brown. Red is fine, if you want tactile get black or green.

derp

Drawfag here, looking for a decent mechanical split keyboard and I don't have any idea what to look for. I've seen DIY kits, are those worth considering?
I really want to have a split keyboard so that i can place the left part next to my drawing monitor for easier use of shortcuts. I've looked into those retarded gaming mini keyboards but investing in a proper split keyboard for everything seems like a better investment than cramming up my working space with more shit.

Attached: gecc0l0a6q001.jpg (4048x3036, 1.01M)

Go for it, you can kit together a pretty damn economical keyboard if you skip on the Pro Micro designs and use some el-cheapass switches and keys. I do lots of CAD work and one hand the left board, the flexibility provided by QMK is insane for custom workflows (PS, Kicad, FreeCAD, etc). For the love of god, get into QMK, it will change your life. That's the big value add for DIY kits, you have a completely programmable board that fits exactly what you want. A kit will run you about 45$, el-cheap ass caps another 20$, switches 10$, having a larger keyboard will drive those last two up.

If you use code BLANKBOIS, it'll get you 25% off at gboards.ca :)

Attached: 49094822_692469054501666_4969337432748064768_n.jpg (2448x3264, 450K)

What do you think about this? Can I put in gateron or cherry as well?
aliexpress.com/store/product/HEXGEARS-Hot-Swappable-Keyboard-Anti-Ghosting-Backlight-104-Keys-Kailh-Box-Switch-Hot-Swappable-PCB-Gaming/4215012_32950328926.html

>hot swap life: 100 times

Attached: 1515361530440.jpg (474x474, 16K)

well you could put keycaps like that on any board, and turn off LEDs if a board has them. I wouldn't go out of my way to get a board that already looks like what I want, as it might mean spending more money or getting worse quality

Do you want to change every day? I think its ok for finding out what switch is for you. For me, clicky and linear is not an option. I think 100 times is enough to find the ideal tactile switch.

>black
isn't that one hard linear like the red series?

I use brown btw

The VE.A clone you posted is a good choice. They are still expensive and can be found on taobao for 1/3 the price of the original VE.A

Attached: Ve.A_carbon.jpg (1024x575, 151K)

>kbdfans finally actually shipped my keyboard kit
can't fuckin wait.
in the mean time, can any user here lend me a soldering iron? mine's shit.

just buy a TS100 from china

>buy
i'm done with buying shit for a while, my dude. keyboards ain't cheap.

its low energy month

keyboards are cheap tho, unless you fall for the "premium" ABS meme. Thanks to the chinks you can get keyboards with EnjoyPBT dye-sub keycaps and QMK support for under 60 bucks

I swear by this janky POS
digikey.ca/product-detail/en/sparkfun-electronics/TOL-14456/1568-1752-ND/7902306

i finished my handwired build yesterday with a ts100 and its super duper comfy, just take in account that you have to buy a power supply for it, and don't use one that will undervolt it because it will blow your mosfet.

RSI makes normal keyboards hard, the only one I use are Kinesis Advantages bc the contours. Anyone here have experience with the Dactyl?

Also, as a piece of content to give to you all at mkg, I have the kinesis advantage in both red and brown w/ 0.4mm orings. The red one is quieter and easier to type on for the fact that kinesis-like boards off load all your weight to your whole palm, "misclicks" I've heard some people struggle with on reds don't happen (never owned a linear in my life so idk if they're autistic or not). If any user is in the boat to pickup a kinesis and is in a sound sensitive environment like school, the red is the right options, sounds quieter than those 2000's dell membranes so its good enough, where as browns are about as loud.

>just buy shit and it'll be cheap
thanks, user. i'll go buy a cheap soldering iron too then. and refund my good keyboard because i already have a cheap membrane.

i know everything about ts100, it's on my wish list. it's just hard to justify at the moment when i already dropped quite a coin on the kit.

sounds like you bought the wrong kit

I recon that this is your shop, looks nice m8.
Would it be possible to ''flip'' the boards so I could use the Trackball on the left side? I've unironically looking for something like a trackpoint or joystick for the left hand so I can rotate 3D objects or zoom in and out of pictures while using my graphic display.

Attached: 61w9ZwBq3WL._SX425_.jpg (425x397, 19K)

Festive season kills my budget and will to live, might have something to do with that.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-12-24 at 15.55.49.png (697x1049, 1.18M)

Right now the trackball unit is actually a special footprint that's also MX compatible. That being said, I have a series of devices that mount where switches do (LED Matrix in a 2u, Segment displays, tamagotchi-key, trackpad, etc) in the works. On that list is a i2c version of the trackball unit.

So at the very least, soon! The Gerbers were just submitted for the matrix and segment, so we'll get those cast into XDA caps and see where it goes.

One thing I've seen done is wireless finger mice that were cut up and zap strapped to a keyboard housing. Janky but awesome

I wished for my self and for all of you some programming socks, Santa will deliver cute socks!

Attached: crop-santardy.jpg (2074x3110, 812K)

yea brown is shit, that's why they are poo colored

Ordered a cable from them and they were loose and DOA

I've read a fair share of stories about their products before purchasing, so I know they get shit wrong quite often.
Hopefully they go easy on my order, but you just made me realize I might not even need the soldering iron for a while, because there's a good chance I'll get some DOA part that would render immediate assembly pointless.

This is awesome, where can I get this stuff?

ergodox

>gboards.ca

what does the g stand for? gay?

Gay is a given with any ''.ca'' URL

i thought that was dog fucker

Why are brown switches bad?

>gboards.ca
pcbs don't cost that much if you buy them in groups of 5 from a pcb manufacturer.
You buy them with a friend and both can then build two ego for about the same price.

Are there switches which are light to press, have a good clicky feel and are quiet?

>Kira comes with a carrying case
Neat.

Attached: kira carrying case.jpg (2239x1259, 670K)

Attached: 1523204273635.jpg (538x396, 71K)

Blackberry trackball?

>clicky
>quiet
Pick one. If you want a clicky switch it's always gonna be loud as fuck, maybe look for something more in the tactile category instead.

>>clicky
>>quiet
maybe he meant to dapper the up and bottom sounds while having the click

Scouring the net for new news or updated shipping dates, tracking numbers. Some fag got his 30 days early.

Attached: accessories.jpg (2236x1258, 233K)

shilling is out of control today, wonder why

Attached: dumb ass retard.jpg (520x514, 42K)

I'm an adult!

Attached: 1515857446959.jpg (5184x3456, 1.57M)

when will GMK fucking die already

when the chinks get similar levels of quality control

>UK layout
I just came

it's called ISO. everybody uses it except amerilards

christmas topre.

Attached: 1450968264910.png (256x256, 119K)

that's actually wrong. unlike most things iso is pretty much only used in europe

Most Asains use ANSI tho, with the exception of the Japanese who use their own retarded bastardization of ISO

Should I get a NPKC GH60 A60 for my Pok3r? I can get one for cheap.

Attached: NPKC-High-Profile-CNC-Anodized-Aluminum-Metal-Case-for-60-Mechanical-Keyboard-Fits-GH60-XD60-XD64.jp (640x426, 44K)

>tfw wake up and gf sauces you a cider

I go for groups of 30, keep in mind those are PCB + Everything you need ( minus switches/caps). The other thing that goes into that price is NRE costs, time and overhead for yield/botches. Not trying to jew ya

The g stands for technology. An asshat in mkg told me I couldn’t so I did.

You know it, it’s not going to replace a mouse but it’s workable for small movements. Hoping to get the later run trackpads, Thinkpad clits and others on there and release and mods.

Honestly IRC was slow and I was too tired to actually get anything done.

Attached: 5D67C8F0-45FB-4728-9AED-933FB2FB56AF.jpg (1923x1924, 906K)

>thumb for mouse movement
>4 fingers for typing
>maybe set up the right mouse to a 2nd thumbstick for gaymin and space bar for typing
>led
>multiple mouse buttons

Holyfyckingshit I want that. I want a split keyboard with that setup.

>Everything you need
>but without the post important parts
ye ok what ever floats your ship, diodes,resistors... go for cents so cheap that don't i even bothered to add the cost to keyboards.

pls respond
any and all input is appreciated

isn't the poker in an alu case already
buying another one seems pretty pointless to me

Macropads are just split boards missing half the board, change my mind. But throw in a MX Ergo size trackball on there and that’d Be pretty cozy

Yeah popcorn parts are what they are, most of the cost goes into the MCU & IO expander. Still less then slapping a promicro on lol. Also shipping, import fees and whatnot. Then you throw a discount code in there and you’re pretty much at cost.

Yes, but it's low profile, which I'm not the biggest fan of

what is a entry level topre keyboard? Always wanted to get into it

>entry level
>topre
XD

those niz plum ones. not technically topre but electro capacitive which is essentially the same

Where do I buy autistic pbt dsa keycaps

aliexpress

Taobao or banggood?

Why isn't there an ergodox setup with a trackball incorporated into it? like just off to the left side of the right index finger, couldn't you pop a trackball there?

because staggered layouts are better

Attached: right hand dominance.jpg (749x297, 41K)

You mean columnar stagger. Row stagger a shit.

nah row stagger is better since it allows you to angle the keyboard better

>allows you to angle the keyboard better
The fuck are you talking about? You can angle any split board however you want. Row stagger is still shit regardless if the board is split or not.

it better matches your fingers tho

(You)

Attached: 1545444759374.gif (463x698, 204K)

>he doesn't know

Attached: psg-22.png (300x168, 46K)

t. fucktard

Recently ordered a GMMK TKL as well as kailh box whites, thoughts? Currently have a keyboard with cherry mx poo switches

I was digging around in some computer stuff I inherited from my grandfather and found a Model M!

Attached: IMG_20181221_134403.jpg (2576x1932, 1.09M)

that's... I... what?

Just bought a Volocifire K61WS as a beater and jesus christ you guys are right about browns. Downright nasty to use compared to my Tada 68 with gat blacks. Still better than any chicklet or rubber dome at the same price though and it confirmed that for me, it's heavy smooth lineaer switches.
I wish it had a dipswitch or something to swap ctrl and caps but xmodmap works fine.

The manual makes it sound like I can use it wired and wireless, but I can't seem to get it to do more than charging when I plug it in. Are velocofire wireless boards confirmed only wireless? That's some dumbass design if so.

Attached: 1545564620785.png (419x337, 54K)

where do I get this??

that game is an absolute botnet and you're retarded for playing it.

except it's true. you're probably thinking of standard row staggering which is terrible. But proper row stagger helps align the keycaps with your fingers while talking up less space

some of the older HP keyboards actually looked nice

Attached: hp-keyboard.jpg (1200x800, 118K)

That’s exactly the position of the optional TB on Gergo. The op pic is where it’s mounted.

I want to make a i2c version so you can just jot swap em around or use multiple trackballs.

Attached: 458752ED-E483-43B4-9630-3294F91ECDA2.jpg (700x479, 97K)

Thoughts on Lojewtech's G Pro tenkeyless? Are the Rommel G switches any good? Does it feel like a Cherry MX Brown?