He fell for the NVMeme

>he fell for the NVMeme
Explain your blind consumerism.

Attached: 41061060-DABF-4E2C-A09A-62225CFDACD4.jpg (740x524, 43K)

Other urls found in this thread:

uaudio.com/audio-interfaces/apollo-x16.html
uaudio.com/audio-interfaces/apollo-twin-mkii.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Basically dropped my boot times by about 50%. What’s to meme?

what's wrong with nvm?

Went from a 10 yr old HDD to a NVMe SSD, Not even lying it felt like magic. If your jump is drastic then it's justified.

I wonder if I'd notice the difference. Even if an NVME drive is 4x faster than an older-school SSD I doubt it.

If you compile things you'll see a difference

Out of all the things that are literal meme upgrades you pick the one thing that actually makes a huge fucking impact to a computer.

NVMe brings crazy fast read and write speeds which while not a huge difference to the general running on a system makes a massive difference if you work with large files such as data science and multimedia. Not to mention amazing IOPS which is awesome for things like C++ compilation that rapes the file system for large projects.

I went back to a SATA SSD a couple months ago and working with large files is shit. My workflow slowed down by double as it took literally two to four times as long to duplicate large files.

If you want to pick a meme here are some better ones

* Hexa-core CPUs in a laptop while limited to 45W in a stupidly thin chasis with a single heat pipe and pathetic fans.
* Upgrading from an i5 to an i7 or even worse an i9 CPU in a laptop
* RAM timings
* 4K in a 15" laptop (or smaller!)
* Caring about 100% Adobe RGB coverage on a screen that has 45+ms response rate
* Buying fake HDR panels like in some laptops these days (Lenovo for example)

You have no clue what you're talking about. Stop trying.

well for one. you can literally plug it into your mobo. the other plus side is its a lot faster than your hdd and regular ssd. so what's the problem here other than it being slightly more expensive than your hdd and ssd

>you can literally plug it into your mobo
You can also plug sata cables into your mobo. It's kind of a requisite feature for working i/o devices.

>not compiling on tmpfs

>he paid an extra $100-200+ to save 5 seconds on something he does once a day

>what is -pipe
Imagine being this retarded.

>if i dont benifit, then the product is stupid
Poorfag detected, cope more

Honestly, I would consider a small opteron for a dedicated cache/journaling disk for xfs. That said, most software runs with the expectation that disk access is slow as shit. I'm comfy enough with a large, affordable hdd for storage.

this

i also don't understand bashing on intel for professional applications like (especially) music production, where latency caused by AMD CPUs will make you want to kill yourself when recording audio
>hurr-durr, you should still get a threadripper

Same with thunderbolt. Admitting, most people won't really need it - who would daisy-chain multiple 4k displays? From regular PC users to gamers - probably nobody.
For people working in design it's a different thing, but it's still probably a handful of people with more than 2 displays.(Although i've seen some great workstations, utilizing 4x 4k displays - or even 2x 8K displays from DELL - but those were running over DP i think)

For certain work situations - thunderbolt on windows is awesome.
It really shines for audio production, there are more and more products coming out that use thunderbolt 3.
UAD being one company for example
>uaudio.com/audio-interfaces/apollo-x16.html
>uaudio.com/audio-interfaces/apollo-twin-mkii.html

External TB3 sound cards enabling higher sample rates with lower latency? Daisy chained to multiple audio processors? Oh boy!
I wish there would be more motherboards with onboard thunderbolt (instead of those AIC thunderbolt cards that are most of the time really problematic), i hope it will be more present in the future because of the ease to connect VR headsets.

>"for gamers"

Tell me this isn't stupid and a waste of space for smaller builds

Attached: 180123-120043.jpg (602x401, 98K)

probably less than 1% of people who use computers would benefit from nvme. it is 100% a meme.

Same. Got the 970 EVO and it boots up in 11 seconds. I could probably get it even faster if I tinkered around with some shit in the BIOS

when i timed it after setting my new system up, it was about 5 seconds, something like 5.1s

>b-but user-kun, speed doesn't matter that much
sure, you can also go back to dial up internet if you don't mind your shit being slow

ugh i want one but it's so expensive
amazon has a 16% discount on the 1TB but it's still too much

when can i expect these things to decrease in price to something better

M.2 format doesnt mean NVME retard

>extra $100-200

The fuck you on about, they are 10% more at best, and give you 50% performance over sata. If you're going to shill the SSD meme, come up with better materiel.

retard

Attached: 1519914462280.jpg (488x463, 24K)

I unknowingly fell for it when buying a new laptop, I appreciate the extra speed though. NVMe drives are way easier to get working with custom kernels, you literally enable the one and only NVMe module and it just werks. Meanwhile SATA has a gorillion different specific modules that you may or may not need. As a bonus you can BTFO all the dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda memesters.

>5.1 seconds.
Nice. I doubt I'll be able to get mine to boot that fast. I could probably cut it down to around 9 seconds but that's it.

my pc boots faster than my router, what do?

>* 4K in a 15" laptop (or smaller!)

that's not a meme upgrade dipshit.

I regularly have to trim several hour long videos that can climb into 100GBs in size and having a faster drive would significantly lower waiting times. Most people don't need this and have bottlenecks elsewhere entirely when their daily activities are concerned.

>tfw went from a 256GB SSD for OS and a 2TB HDD for storage to a 512GB NVMe drive for OS and a 1TB Sata SSD for storage.

Shit's fast

this. jesus fuck do people thing emitting object files and targets is slow? literally wtf and with pipe all the compile steps never touch the fs.

Yeah it's a meme, FHD in 14" is the goat resolution. 100% scaling is still usable and 125% is very nice if you don't want to rape your eyes. Going higher has literally zero advantage.

>but muh retina muH BIG NUMBERS mean its BETTER

That's not an accomplishment at all. Routers boot super slowly.

honestly jealous

I think I notice a different

I run several OSes in VM concurrently on my laptop and you should too

Difference

>Caring about 100% Adobe RGB coverage on a screen that has 45+ms response rate

Uh, what? Why would I care about milliseconds for Lightroom or Illustrator? Conversely, if I care about milliseconds, why would I need Adobe RGB coverage when no game supports it?

>Going higher has literally zero advantage

are you retarded or do you play one on tv?

So what's the advantage besides bigger numbers?

>Got a 1tb nvme for about £15 more than a regualar SSD.
>installed it fairly easily
>go to boot
>my boot drive doesnt exist
>They never said it would be easy.csv

Apparantly having an nvme drive installed cuts off a couple of the SATA ports? Anyway I did some tinkering and I have all drives installed, boot from the nvme now, I have a blank 120gb ssd I dont know what to do with.

what? you mean make with --pipe builds on ram?

If it's a desktop, i guess you're out of pcie lanes, and the bios/uefi will remove lower priority (idk how they make the priority lists) devices to fullfil the beefier and needy nvme/pcie drive. You can enable "Above 4G decoding" if you have such option.

>downgrading from an hdd to an ssd for storage
You fell for a consumerist meme. SSDs leak electrons over time and aren't suitable for archival.

Neither are the hdds, just drop one of then in that one bad angle and all your data is lost. True the hdd doesnt need as much care as an ssd, but now ssds are not as bad as they were.

The real meme here is the QLC ssds, higher density, bigger storage space, lower resilience and reliability, and they still promote it as the hdd replacement. Want to archive things? Go RAID1 or RAID10 on hdds.

RAID is only useful for high availability and performance. Offsite backups are always a good idea for any important data.

maybe having readable text? jesus fuck kid, even phones are pushing above 400ppi displays and macshits are all minimum 200ppi.

I though the sequential R/W speeds would translate over to random R/W.
It was also the only kind of SSD Apple let me choose.

Attached: 1517123602170.jpg (5120x2880, 1.99M)

Raid isn't backup

Not that user but if you're going to archive you'll want both redundancy and backups.

>Wanting a PC that loads software 10-15x faster is a meme
I went from a HDD to SSD and it was night and day. Windows cannot run smoothly on a HDD anymore.

>* RAM timings
Matter for Ryzen

Faster boot times imply that applications launch faster, but tbf it's on him for bringing up something as relatively unimportant as boot times instead of program launch times.

>4K in a 15" laptop (or smaller!)
It's definitely a noticeable upgrade from 1080p, but I guess you could argue that 4K is overkill and 2560p would work just fine (but then you'd have to deal with non-integer scaling)
>Caring about 100% Adobe RGB coverage on a screen that has 45+ms response rate
You mean having a job in a certain field?

>(but then you'd have to deal with non-integer scaling)
Not if you use a 720p resolution

I think OP means NVMe SSD vs SATA SSD.

The difference between HDD and SSD is huge, the difference between SATA and NVMe SSDs is barely noticeable in home use scenarios.

Bought a 500GB 960 EVO for scratch space for when I'm working on video editing, ripping, or encoding. Have almost 70TB written to it as is.

Based on my personal experience, 1080p (or equivalent with scaling) is optimal for 15" displays. 720p would make everything retardedly large and the screen space would be frustratingly small.

Having an NVME SSD has allowed me to get work done quicker, probably has already paid for itself already.

Just use 4k then.

SSDs only lose data if you leave them unplugged for months afaik, i.e. if you use them as cold storage. I don't see how that would be relevant use-case for a drive in someone's PC.

You realize those numbers translate to an actual difference in quality right?

I mentioned it a couple of days ago, but I bought a Transcend 256GB NVMe for like 40$. How is that a meme?

I would love some nvme for scratch disk but shit is too expensive.

Poorfags are the worst

I have to reacquire files I haven't touched in two years, on HDDs that are always plugged in and don't drop a single CRC error during regular use, so I don't know why you'd say SSDs are any better. They are not. I keep losing photos to this kind of shit degradation on HDDs that almost never power off. If I don't open them, or don't do anything that would access that file (like defragmenting) it's sitting there and deteriorates.

>i also don't understand bashing on intel for professional applications like (especially) music production, where latency caused by AMD CPUs will make you want to kill yourself when recording audio
You were wrong when you started shilling this garbage weeks ago and you're still wrong now.

CPU """latency""' does not, and hasn't for literally decades, affected music or video production.

I work in the industry. I work with audio and video - you are wrong. Jesus Intel astroturfing shills are so fucking irritating.

Btw AMD beats Intel at every price level from, well... actually at every price level. Stop posting bullshit you fucking retarded shill.

Attached: 1486696484377.png (649x611, 639K)

had the money and felt like trying it
good for small build I installed it in as it effectively takes up no additional space and doesn't require separate cabling

Except you're never loading gigabytes into memory at a time. Editors are only going to be looking at the footage immediately before and after where your cursor/preview is at.

The only way I could see *maybe* an NVMe drive significantly impacting video editing is if you're working with something retarded like 8K 60fps HDR. Otherwise, no.

My board has a slot, so I bought one of those instead of a regular sata, wasnt that much more expensive.
If I was 'upgrading' from another ssd then yeah no real point but I just had an hdd

>he doesn't have 512GB of RAM
>in 2019

Why do some people go batshit insane over NVMe drives vs SATA ones?
They are not nearly as much more expensive as people say, yet they are so much faster
>but I don't need it
Then don't fucking buy it, if people blocked technology advancement because they don't need it we would still be using pentium ones or some shit
Also, a 500gb NVMe drive is like $100 - $130, I'm in a third world shithole and just got one. If you live in a first world country and can't spare 100 bucks for one piece of hardware that absolutely stomps the $80 alternative what the fuck, get your shit together because you must be a dirt poor faggot
For all SATA drive niggers who insist on not buying better hardware, enjoy waiting extra seconds for every single damn action or step you perform on your machine because shit adds up and turns into a considerable time waste.

Works fine for my Hydrus and other databases.

It's not a huge increase in performance over a SATA SSD, but it still saves minutes and it's not a really noteworthy increase in cost for a 256GB "low end" Adata NVMe stick. I think it works out ok for me.

1tb samsung nvme costs almost twice as much on amazon here as 1tb sata.

>muh numbers

Text is plenty readable at FullHD in a 14 inch screens.

>high end consumer product is expensive
BREAKING NEWS

but i didnt and went for an 860 evo instead

>literally say something factually wrong
>LOL I AM SILLY
Off yourself retard. Nvme is also useless for average consumer.

>ITT: sour grapes

you are factually incorrect about this. nvme is only faster than sata for sequential r/w. 99% of typical use does not involve this. truth is your daily use is no faster than a sata except for very specific use cases. unless you had a need for that, you wasted your money.

>when you're soo poor, you hafta jestify $100 or else you can't eat
TOP KEK

Based and redpilled. Me too brother.

This

Have buy the 1TB model for VMs
And it's work fuckin great

h-he's fast

Attached: nvme.jpg (706x255, 39K)

>I went back to a SATA SSD a couple months ago and working with large files is shit. My workflow slowed down by double as it took literally two to four times as long to duplicate large files.

Hey, NVMe drives CAN be a meme, if the SSD itself or the port is x2 instead of x4. Unfortunately, only the very expensive Thinkpads(e.g. X1C) comes with an x4 port for example.

>Upgrading from an i5 to an i7 or even worse an i9 CPU in a laptop
If it's a good deal, why not. The 8550U does perform better than a 8250U especially after an undervolt. A power-limited 8550U(e.g. on a T480 or L480) can hit the performance of an unlimited 8250U(on a T480s), so you don't need to buy the most premium device to enjoy similar performance. i9 is universally a meme though.

>Hexa-core CPUs in a laptop while limited to 45W in a stupidly thin chasis with a single heat pipe and pathetic fans.
Buying a thicker 6 core laptop solves the problem. Still more portable than a desktop. Even a Lenovo Legion Y530 can handle the heat no problem. Not sure if it has a lower Power Limit, in other words lower performance set by Lenovo though.

>RAM timings
Relevant to a certain extent on Integrated Graphics and Infinity Fabric. However, I would pick Quad-Channel instead on desktops. If Tech YES City is right, 1600MHz DDR3 Quad Channel has higher throughput than 2400MHz DDR4 Dual Channel. Anyway, to the devices which needs it most (e.g. laptops with IGP), the RAM speed limit is usually limited to 2400MHz anyway.

I get the same/faster boot time on a SATA SSD on an old desktop. Ironically, my better desktops takes forever to boot due to the insanely long POST times (They are Asus boards meant for overclocking). Swapping to NVMe does not help much because 50% of the boot time is on the POST screen.

Are you using a laptop, or a lower-end motherboard?

t. person who switches off his router when he switches off his PC

Why not?
Fast enough for my swap.

>FHD in 14" is the goat resolution. 100% scaling is still usable

No it's not. Everything is too small. 125% is usable and 150% is optimal. Most laptops shipped with FHD 14" are at 150% upscaling.

What SSD do I get for the best endurance?

>Neither are the hdds,
Neither are TAPE DRIVES! YOU CAN JUST CUT THE TAPE!

If they were the same price per TB or even +10-15% I'd get it for cable management and case placement convenience.

What drawbacks besides price is there for nvme?

Here in Aus, the 500gb 970 Evo (nvme) is $139 compared to $99-109 for 500GB 860 Evo (sata).

Laptop stuff isn't really an upgrade unless you mean "buy a new laptop for x features"

>RAM timings
Can mean up to a 10% difference with Ryzen for same frequency

Can you be more fucking obvious you little shill

It's worth it for those who want a smaller form factor and don't wanna deal with cables
aka the real rich ones.

owo how do I speed up my boot time

>where latency caused by AMD CPUs
[citation needed]

I sure hope it's not the CCX latency you're talking about, because if you think a few nanoseconds affects your audio recording, then you're probably quite literally retarded.

I went with SATA SSD because I don't think my mobo supports NVME and I don't want to tinker with PCI adapter. Also because NVME was more expensive when I bought SATA SSD

Bitrot is fucking scary. The last year Ive obsessively run SMART tests, checksums and btrfs scrubs on my data. Yet to catch anything. I did have a flash drive randomly fry itself though.

Since this issue I've gotten into the habit of running a non-destructive surface scan on my drives every year. That reads all data off of the drive and basically "refreshes" it.

Because resolution is a bullshit number they can crank up to justify the obscene price of high end phones and shit. The average person would not notice if their resolution dropped. I intentionally reduce it to get an exta hour of battery. Text can be rendered readably at pretty low resolutions if you do proper antialiasing (though few OSes do that.)

>GTAV

Considering it loaded in under an hour I am going to assume that's not GTAV Online

I paid 100 dollars for my boot nvme, insane instant speed and good sustain, freed up my SSD for installing programs and shit on and now my spinning rust is purely for archival.

AFAIK the older the better, You want single cell. Salvage SSDs from old ultrabooks that probably got little use.