insigniaproducts.com/pdp/NS-55D510NA19/6172325
youtube.com/watch?v=4ZvE8O7FegA&t=
grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>expensive
Lol
>Chore
Literally one click on a button or one drive to your local techmarket

>Yes goy! Just buy the most expensive one, that's the spirit! It certainly is the best and not at all loaded with unnecessary """technology""" that inflates the price, or proprietary software that will be unusable in a year, or planned obsolescence advertised as features, just buy a new one next year! Make sure it's the most expensive one, don't you see how convenient it is, just one press of a button!

Get a job.

Attached: dfdf.jpg (250x272, 29K)

>phones five years ago
>most are shit but the flagships are good
>phones now
>most are good but the flagships are extra expensive

>TVs five years ago
>most are shit but the high-end models are good
>TVs now
>most are shit but the high-end models are also shit but also extra expensive

>He thinks TVs are expensive in 2018
LCD is fucking dirt cheap compared to CRTs and rear projection TVs back in the day. Fuck off zoomer.

>TVs were more expensive back in the day
So was literally everything else tech-related, except today you can get a great budget option for most things except TVs

The hell are you looking for?

I make 95k a year, I still dont want to buy some meme technology for 2000 fucking dollars. And modern ~500 dollar TVs are generally terrible

Nigger what? You can get a 4k 55 inch plus smart TV for less than $500 bucks these days. The only hard part is researching input lag.

bada bing

Attached: 9111.png (1080x1302, 939K)

You can get a really good non-smart tv model for pretty cheap. My 55" was just over $300. It does very well.
smart tvs are the work of the marketing jew anyways.

Damn, glad I went onto Accounting. Shame you CS monkeys don't make much money.

>he thinks paying the Jew Premium is okay just because he has more money
Ouch!

>smart tvs are the work of the marketing jew anyways.
This. Why the fuck would you pay tons extra for some ultra low tier un-upgradeable garbage built-in? Like nigger just plug a computer in for "smart" features.

Accountants with a CNA make less than a fresh CS grad in the midwest lol
Now if you said finance I would have believed you

I want
>60"
>oled or some variant of it
>no smart TV shit
>low input lag and response time
Is there such a thing? Just want to plug my firestick and consoles into it

do they even sell non-smart TVs?

>no smart TV shit
>2018
No, hope you like outdated proprietary software goy!

>new Samsung TVs literally require you to download an app and sign in with tons of fucking details just to turn the fucking thing on
Where did it all go so wrong.

>European
>look up budget TV recommendations online
>everyone recommends some chink company called TCL
>look into it some more
>turns out they sell great and cheap TVs in the US and absolute garbage TVs at mid-range prices in Europe
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

They do appear to be proving more difficult to find as time goes on. I bought my tv like 1.5 years ago. It was the only non-smart tv that best buy had at the time and they were just trying to get rid of it.
I'm pretty sure this is the tv I bought. Not walking into the other room to check the model tbdesu.
insigniaproducts.com/pdp/NS-55D510NA19/6172325

>owning a TV
>2018 (almost 2019)

Attached: 1542906409640.jpg (240x219, 16K)

Or even a fukken pi.

Might be a brainlet question, but why does my $400 phone have a display better than 99% of modern mid-range TVs which start at $1000, but at the same time also has 200x the features and a higher PPI? Shouldn't smaller screens be more difficult to make and as a consequence more expensive?

It's harder to deal with a defective 85 inch panel than a batch of defective 5 inch panels.

my parents are upgrading to 4k, there are so many ~$3-500 options it's crazy trying to pick one

More difficult to engineer, maybe, but not more difficult to manufacture.

Because there are no good options. All current TVs are garbage or horrendously overpriced garbage. You basically have to settle for something that isn't good, but isn't too awful.

rtings is a good guide

It's worth it for my parents, who would rather have a big fucking 'NETFLIX' button rather than spend hours trying to figure out how to cast from a phone.

I don't super mind it myself since I got tired of running a fifty foot HDMI cable from my computer room to the living room. I know I could use a pi, but I usually just wanna mirror my PC anyway. So while I think the 'smart' shit is useless I like it has a cast api. Fuck I just remember I never ended up connecting my old smart TV to the network at all.

OLED TVs are the first decent displays released since plasmas. On top of that we have HDR and 4K becoming much more affordable. I don't know what you have to complain about.

Because you're stupid. 50" 4K chinkscreen @ $300 MSRP reporting.

Attached: tumblr_o6851eQrnM1uhsz1to1_500.jpg (500x432, 96K)

TVs are cheap as fuck what are you even talking about? I just bought a 50" for $250.

based and 2160pilled

what did you buy?

To bad they still charge a premium for it over Led. I'm not paying 2x the price for a marginal increase in quality.

Really the only thing that matters on a TV anymore is input lag. All TVs are going to be at least 'good' now that 4k is standard. The only difference is usually build quality and if you want a built in upscaler.

>mfw I was over a friend's house and his $1700 TV was forcing him to see advertisements on its screen
HOLY SHIT WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS I'M NOT PAYING TWO GRAND FOR A DEVICE TO ADVERTISE TO ME

Attached: 1544779954250.webm (1280x544, 1.02M)

Model an mark?

pppssttt... tell him to set up a pi-hole
you can block lots of smart tv ads that way

I've been calling this phenomena the 'convenience fee'.
Want netflix or some other streaming service on your tv without extra components; pay the convenience fee.
Want gps on your phone at the cost of your phone mining all your data; pay the convenience fee.
Want a desktop os like windows because it's common and just works at the cost of data mining and poor performance; convenience fee.
etc.

Have you seen OLEDs? It's by no means a marginal increase in quality.

Nah fuck that guy

>needing a pihole to filter ads on your smart tv
suicide looks like a better option for your friend desu.

>OLED is decent
>Twice as expensive
>Burn in
>Even if you're careful and don't get burn in the display will be worth throwing in the trash after 3 years because the organic material decayed so the picture's garbage meanwhile the LCD lasts 3x as long
Wew lad

It is when it's double the price

Cost x Quality

Anyone else get their reviews from Harry Potter?

youtube.com/watch?v=4ZvE8O7FegA&t=

Can pihole stop YouTube from running ads in the middle of a video? It's making YouTube almost unwatchable

>there's someone on Jow Forums that still sees youtube ads
I haven't seen an ad on youtube since 20-fucking-13, how is this possible you people still exist

Yeah, we usually call that the "Retard tax".

pretty sure he's talking about watching it on his TV retard

Those are only good if you buy in burgerland

>trusting a spectre tv

I'm confident that because you can't do much with a smart tv browser as far as settings etc., a local network-wide blocker like pihole would be your solution.

>guy has glasses
>everyone thinks he looks like Harry Potter
Every time, happens to me as well. Honestly I'm grateful, tells me people don't notice my obviously ugly face if they think I'm in any way comparable to Daniel Radcliffe.

I am, and I had a network wide blocker set up that stopped working a few months ago.

Is it a samsung smart tv?
apparently those are cancer as far as hard coded dns bullshit. aka supa difficult to block with a pi hole or anything else.

That's the TV I had that I never connected to the internet, I knew it was fucked before I bought it but it was on sale. It never saw a network and just had a long as fuck HDMI switcher. The thing broke when I was wiping it down with a bit of 70% alc and a tiny droplet rolled under the bezel and immediately fucked the connector.

The thing about TVs now in general is not only are they fragile because they are flat, they are fragile because they are designed to break at the slightest bump or bit of moisture. They are designed to be night impossible to fix so that you do have to go out and spend 500-800 bucks NOW because you aren't going to wait to buy a new TV if you don't have another option. So the software itself is shit as well, why deal with a slow TV when you can buy a new TV with a slightly better phone processor that costs the manufacturer exactly no more money than the old one.

Right now I have one of those roku TVs that always get sold as an off-brand. It's exactly that, TV with a Roku glued into it. Only thing I care about is the composite video in works and the HDMI with processing off has little to no lag.

>Watching TV in 2018
>Owning a TV in 2018
why?

I sold a 1080p samsung for 300 I bought 5 years ago and bought a new 4k samsung for 400. I still can't believe that little mexican guy gave me 300 cash for a literally 150 dollar tv with no warranty.

>watching movies and shows on a

>watching movies and shows
Why would you do that to yourself?

What do you do all day? What do you say when your friends ask you if you've seen the popular new show?

Big computer monitor with better speakers plugged.

So games, music, movies, projects that require a bigger screen.

Also pretending you don't like things because you're better than them is why you're sad and autistic

Just pick up an old CRT at the dump ffs.

>friends
wheredoyouthinkyouare.gif

well whatever works for you senpai. I just had a spare pi laying around and actually just set up a pihole for my own place in about 30min. Don't know why I hadnt before, but now its done.

50" Insignia. Avoid the Smart TV memes or anything else like that and TVs are insanely cheap.

Does it work for YouTube? I've seen conflicting posts about how effective it is, if it does I'll definitely set it up tonight.

it works for anything that isn't being piped in on the same stream as your actual content. make sure to figure out which DNS is right for you grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

What was the last year they made 1080p TV? I want to see if I can find a high-end one used for cheap.

user; you're dealing with panels that are huge in size. They take up a lot of space and are more fragile to transport.

they're still making them. CRT's were made in India up to 2011 you know

They only make garbage low end models, same with phones, last year's flagship will always be better than the new cheap option.

Attached: Screenshot_20181224-174028_Firefox.png (2048x1536, 642K)

Can confirm, I have this one and it's alot better than my old Samsung but ymmv

>1080p HDR TVs literally do not exist
JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWSSSS

Heh, when I bought my current house about 4 yrs ago it came with a 65" 1080 Mitsubishi set (the type that weighed 200lbs). Set worked just fine for 2 yrs. Then it died. Knew that fixing it would cost a fuckton so I bought a 65" samsung at walmart cheap during a after christmas sale. The samsung was cheapest at walmart, wasn't even listed on the site. Everyone was raging that 4k was the "gold standard" Me; don't got anything that outputs/displays 4k, don't got a auditorium for a living room so wtf good would a 4k tv do me? So the samsung was cheaper than the 4k set that also had a smaller screen size to. (65" v.s 40"). 2 yrs later; samsung still kicking, content looks damn good on it. everyone's happy.

I'm not happy, you just wasted ten seconds of my life

Actually a good crt hd set is sanyo. I got a 27" HD sanyo in my basement. It can output/display pretty much anything up to 1080i. (2006 model). Got it at walmart for $400 new in 2006. Comparison a 32" 720p lcd set would run you 1k at the time. A blu-ray basic player would cost you the same amount then (1k).

Fuckers probably expect to mislead Europeans that look for reviews online.

welfare recipients have flatscreens and iphones nigga what?

Attached: 1545416065928.jpg (293x326, 21K)

x900F

TCL's current mid range 617s actually have some serious QC problems despite coming well recommended by review sites that got cherry picked samples. Don't trust chinks. Samsung is overpriced, LG only makes good OLEDs, Sony is the

You're fucking insane if you think $1200 is an okay price for a TV

Why tv? Get a giant monitor instead. Better response times as well. TVs are glorified monitors nowadays

Literally my TV. But after two attempts from Amazon and both having obnoxious dead pixels I finally gave up and just bought it at Walmart for $20 more because I could take it out of the box and check it before I left the store.

It's useless anyway.

Expensive? We've basically never had a better TV market, you can get 50+ inch 4K TVs for like $400 on cheap brands and even under $800 for the higher end brands so long as you aren't going for OLED or some shit.

Always sort of was an expensive chore and back before flat screens (yes I'm a 30s oldfag) CRTS were heavy as fuck all, so be glad you don't have to deal with that shit anymore.

>2018
>TVs are expensive
Maybe if you buy the latest meme technology like curved displays. You can get decent 30-inch HDTVs that "just werk" without all the bells and whistles for like $100, even larger TVs like 50 and 60-inch are only $150 to $300 or so.

>I make 95k a year
way to compensate

That's midrange you tard. The $200 TVs you're buying at walmart are literally defects from manufacturers picked up at wholesale auctions for as cheap as possible to stick into junk to sell at bottom of the rung general retailers

higher end monitors are starting to go for that much, do you even want something that's an upgrade? this isn't 2008 anymore where you just buy a 300 dollar screen and not think about it, people want higher refresh better picture quality and resolution less input lag and response times and they seem to want it at zero extra cost

I don't stream Fortnite so saving nearly $500 and having to sacrifice a few mms response time is very reasonable to me

desu you're better off with just a standard TV with something like Roku or a FireTV hooked up, maybe an Nvidia Shield if you want more options and better hardware.

Those options will run you between $40 and $150 and give you much more OS control and options than the smart TV OS ever will, and since they're android boxes you can set them up with ad blockers (You can do hosts blocking on the Shield for sure, probably the Roku as well)

I like to be comfy in bed and fall asleep to youtube via a stream box. Come on tell me I'm not the only one that does this?

>you can get 50+ inch 4K TVs for like $400
That's the problem, you literally fell for the meme, as manufacturers intended, you cite "4K" as this amazing technology that "you can get for cheap nowadays!!" when in reality PPI is fucking irrelevant at TV distance, and display quality/viewing angles/uniformity are far more important (and garbage on budget options), but those aren't as easy to advertise.

Yes I know, you're so amazing and perfect and you're literally better than everyone in this thread and you're so above marketing and EVERYTHING. We know.

well then recommend me a goddamn TV, since I want a new one

I paid 300 € for my new 4K television from Amazon.

I will get a new one in some years, as soon as OLED TVs are cheaper.