Are there any practical reason for using file packers like .zip in current year

Why yes there is.

How are you going to send 4GB+ files into a FAT32 formatted USB stick?

Simple: you pack them with .zip or .rar or whatever using the option to make package size of your choosing, the file will be cut into pieces suitable for fitting into your USB stick beause FAT32 cannot handle 4GB+ file.

You make the file into 500MB - 2GB or whatever sized chunks. There is no reason to actually have it packed so just take the compression option "no compression" if that is available.

Certainly you dont need maximum compression, it will just take time and you probably save 50MB of space afterwards, hardly worth the effort.

Attached: 9.jpg (894x894, 54K)

Or maybe I just won't format my flash drives in fat32 like a fucking retard.

liked, clapped, upvoted, and subscribed

thanks for your blogpost, upvoted

>Fat32
>not exFAT
You need to go back

Attached: 1544630145415.jpg (320x320, 48K)

thanks for pointing out the obvious, captain fucking obvious.

7z is better. Also kys for this terrible thread.

posting in best thread

Or you just don't use FAT32 because it's dogshit

>exfat
Do you have something against ext4?

The current state of Jow Forums

Who the fuck is still using FAT32 formatted sticks in current year?

Not usable in mobiles or Windows

Hey noggers. You use fat32 for compatibility with default MacOS machines.

Transfering a lot of small files is easier zipped

why the fuck would you use the fat32 usb stick excuse when you could just mention that compression saves bandwidth when downloading stuff

this

i mean if you're going to do that you can just cut it into 4GiB chunks on your own with dd and then stitch them back together

imagine using macOS

Attached: DIYmall-VK-162-GMOUSE-U-blox-7USB-Interface-GPS-Navigation-G28U7FUSB-Support-Google-Earth-For-Arduin (1000x1000, 54K)

I just use ext2 or ntfs. Idiot

Windows natively supports .zip

Why? a 16GB usb stick cost peanuts now. Hell walmart had a 3 pack of sandisk 16GB for $20 last time i looked. Format the sucker as NTFS and be done with it.

So, just don't use FAT32? You just created and solved a problem that wasn't there OP.

Exfat works on macos. There a issue if you format the drive on macos but not otherwise.

Don't forget to hit that bell button.

Only Windows supports NTFS (Linux will fuck it up)

In addition, exFAT just doesnt work, you need to use Windows 98 FAT32 for compatibility.
(with exFAT and 4GB+ files, Linux, MacOS and Windows will fuck it up)

>Linux will fuck it up
Never had any problems with NTFS and Linux.

just use Linux to copy a file which has filename written in Russian to an NTFS drive connected to the Linux computer and you are all set

Can you be more specific? What is supposed to happen, and does it need to be Cyrillic? I handle files with names and contents in Japanese, both in UTF-8 and shift-JIS just fine.

So not having unicode or cryllic fonts somehow fucks up a proprietary MS fs?
If this was true then surely that's an ntfs issue rather than a loonix problem...

Yes it is, it's just not supported by default.

Who the fuck formats a USB stick fat32 in this day and age? That's what exFAT is for. Fuck I've even formatted some USB sticks as NTFS in the past. It's no wonder USB drives had a reputation for failing, the journaling filesystems wrecked their shit. Luckily exFAT exists now.

I've got a 64GB flash drive formatted to FAT32 for my PS2

I'd rather use W10 than FagOS.

Ignorance is bliss

wow you must know everything. how old are you 12?
delet this "tumblr how to" you goddamn infant!

Attached: 32132123.jpg (300x200, 10K)