Please, tell me this squared-monitor thing is a meme and you don't really think is actually functional

Please, tell me this squared-monitor thing is a meme and you don't really think is actually functional

Attached: image_search_1545722675993.jpg (350x350, 14K)

squarer ratios are more space efficient and nicer for viewing documents but I see literally no reason to buy a modern meme 1:1 display over a nice older 4:3 or 5:4 professional display where the little extra width makes no impact on the space requirements but makes for even nicer document processing in portrait mode

>squarer ratios are more space efficient

Just buy a 32:9 super ultrawide

Attached: CHG90.png (955x509, 558K)

More like ultra short.
You do understand it's just a cut down 16:9?
It's literally a half of a 16:9 monitor.

How dumb have you to be to but a monitor literally twice as small as a 16:9?`

these ultra wide monitors are retarded

if I purchased a modern monitor ever again I'd probably go 21:9
but then I lose portrait and I don't think my older workstations sharing a KVM switch with my main desktop would like the resolution, plus I would also lose desk real estate
window management with multiple 4:3/5:4 displays is also somewhat nicer compared to relying on window manager tiling features to me, having two separate dedicated workspaces as opposed to one monolithic and more cluttered-feeling one

>its half of a 16:9

Attached: 1535536323296.png (679x769, 58K)

A 4K panel has unironically more vertical and horisontal space though.

might not agree with the guy you're quoting but your post is pretty dumb as well, ultrawide isn't about maximizing pixels, it's simply like having a dual 16:9 setup but in one single, seamless panel which I can definitely see the appeal of for some use cases, even if I don't prefer it myself.

>be samsung
>make a 4k TV
>it came out with a significant defect
>cut it in half
>sell the non-defective slice of it to the gaming retards
>gaymers love trash lol they buy the refuse and praise it
>gaymers are dumb enogh to praise it.

>it's simply like having a dual 16:9 setup but in one single, seamless panel which I can definitely see the appeal of for some use cases, even if I don't prefer it myself.

If you consider 1080p a monitor, then It's like having 2 1080p monitors.

while 4k is like having 4 of them in a seamless array

you do understand it literally is a TV panel sliced in two? A literal fucking half of a proper panel.

I would never really want a setup like that, though. I'd much rather have the "shorter" and wider arrangement since scanning from side to side is more comfortable than also needing to scan up and down, assuming the two panels are the same width.

And your point is?

Its two 1080p monitors stuck together w/o the seam. That's the entire point.

to add to this, if I had such an "equivalent" 4-panel setup I'd still want the upper monitors to be independent so I could point them down towards me for more optimal viewing angles, something a giant 4K panel wouldn't do for me.

Had one at my old government job, hated the damn thing

/thread

Attached: Monitors.jpg (1877x1826, 741K)

when you realize you have no substantial argument but you still must have the last word

Attached: 1544912868528.png (429x367, 244K)

I love it on my phone, I could see it being nice for desktop use.

Depends on how you look at it. I see it as two ~5:4 monitors with no bezels in the way. Also,
>3:2 = 16:9

web-pages, spreadsheets and a lot of things like that needs vertical space. if you're going to watch a 16:9 movie then you'll probably want to have a 16:9 monitor.

it doesn't matter as much to me for desktop use, a 16:9 27" is preferable to say 4:3 24". I would like 4:3 on my laptop instead of bars above and below the screen. You can't just buy a bigger laptop montior..

i love my monitors.
they're old multisyncLCD2070vx's.
i've tried other monitor shapes, but i like them the best.

>>sell the non-defective slice

And that's bad how.

I'm using two 5:4 monitors right now. They're great for programming and Jow Forums browsing and they cost $5 a piece at the thrift store. Why would I ever pay hundreds of dollars for 16:9 stretched out garbage? I'd rather spend my money on firearms and bacon cheeseburgers like a proper American man. Fuck off to /v/

Be gone, homosexual.

Attached: 1540641387423.jpg (1200x1200, 116K)

3:2 is the perfect aspect ratio and should become the new standard, 16:9 is for children who only use their computers as a glorified video game console