Is a raspberry pi zero cluster worth it for mining monero?

So a pi zero cluster is very cheap, less than 50 usd. I was wondering if I should make one for monero mining.

Attached: ClusterHAT_Raspberry_Pi_Zero.jpg (1000x750, 208K)

Other urls found in this thread:

arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/03/meet-the-manic-miner-who-wants-to-mint-10-of-all-new-bitcoins/
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MIPS-Open-Source-2019
twitter.com/AnonBabble

no

/thread

no

What are those things even good for?

You could use them for node js bots.

hahahahahaha no

Maybe good for learning about parallel computing without the investment of a many core CPU?

Mine is website host (since i have very low traffic it can handle it just fine) as well as access point to increase wifi coverage in apartment

what is the IO interface between the zero nodes?

>1GHz single-core CPU
might as well get a ryzen 2700 and get 16 threads.

Attached: 550.png (207x243, 7K)

what does that get you, 10 hashes per second on cryptonightv8?

You can simulate parallel computing on a single machine, and it would be way faster than a dozen of these.

O-Droid MC1 cluster is actually worth using

arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/03/meet-the-manic-miner-who-wants-to-mint-10-of-all-new-bitcoins/

this is all pi's are good for in crypto

Even a used $20 laptop these days has multiple cores.

Did you even read the article? The BitFury chips are doing the mining, not the Pis.

Is x worth it for moneroâ„¢?
No

why specifically node

They use them for parallel computing research. It's not about the what's being computed. It's about orchestrating a supercomputer cluster without buying a supercomputer cluster.

Reasonable responses

>Hurr Durr ignoring cost entirely
>Then posts self portrait

When did people grt the idea you can mine crypto with raspberry pis? The compute power of the things is extremely low, even with a 4 high end gpu rig you need over a year to break even.

can a cluster of raspberry pis play games? if not then what's the point of having a cluster?

can it at least play 4k video and youtube videos?

I'm using one to compute timezone/DST from lat/long bc I'm way too lazy to implement that shit in an MCU. It does the boring CS shit I don't want to do in my 100 ns accurate clock.

Let's say I get electricity for free, how much could I make with one pi doing this?

Also for those who want to cream their pants over time precision:
Navspark NS-T is +/- 6 ns
Parallax propeller using the NS-T's GPSDO as a clock source and running at 80 MHz. Pin control is all single cycle so a delay locked loop of +/- 12.5 ns can be used to correct the firing time of the display (using a current sensing amp to feed the DLL).

Years to pay back the purchase price.

no

>Muh games

The absolute state of Jow Forums

>translation: mommy pays for utilities

nah unlike most of Jow Forums I'm actually employed. I'm an IT in the navy and all my utilities are paid for. I have a Pi just sitting in a desk drawer and figured this might be a worthwhile use for it.

"employed" is a funny way to spell "sitting around doing nothing but sucking sailor cock all day"

why are you so upset user, did a sailor pump and dump your mom?

>did a sailor pump and dump your mom?
My mom doesn't have a penis, so no navy sailor would be interested

What's the point in using Zeros if a single 3B will be faster?

then why are you upset buddy?

Probably the $5 part of the zero.

more cores

ill just leave this here

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MIPS-Open-Source-2019

I was worried about MIPS changing hands but it looks like it's a good thing

but both of you are wrong

Could this be used to learn how to do clusters for kubernetes or Docker swarm?

Attached: images.png (260x194, 9K)

It's not 1998 anymore though and the vast majority of real parallel systems aren't just a single computer with a shitload of sockets and cores. There's definitely value in cheap, tiny beowulf clusters.

I'm running 3 instances of ProfitTrailer on a RPi3.
The initial cost of starting a trading bot operation is way higher, but you can easily get 1% returns in a week in a sideways market. You also save on electricity compared to mining, and don't have to worry about fan noise.

Attached: bizinvesting.jpg (271x509, 31K)

No there isn't. If you have a problem worthy of a real render farm, you'll build a real render farm with decent hardware and a 10Gb/s+ backbone. If you have small but highly parallel problems you're best off running them on one or two GPUs. The only place I can see for clusters made of shitty SBCs is an application where isolation is absolutely paramount. Like hosting itty bitty VPSs or providing a service that runs arbitrary code.

How well a cluster of RPi run?
Can it encode HEVC at least?

For educational purposes, dipshit. Who the fuck is dumb enough to use a Pi for anything purely practical?

mining and crypto money is dead

I've seen them in production commerical equipment. Not even the DIMM card ones which are designed for such a use, but literally just normal boards sitting in products. I wish I was joking.
And if you're going after "educational purposes" then you're better off simulating it on a single workstation. Your code should be fully testable using one machine anyway.

Sounds quite boring and unmotivating to me, but I don't think you're wrong.

You can just fire up a few headless Linux VMs on any machine made in the last five years for free.

Or you could use real hardware

I guess if you care more about getting some fancy new toy for learning than actually learning then you can.

Why the fuck would I not spend pocket change on an actual physical beowulf cluster compared to using VMs?

You're obviously a denial-fag. your point is retarded and the answers above are objectively true. stop wasting our time.

Because they offer no advantage in learning and you also have to spend a non-trivial amount of money on SD cards for each node, unless you already have a bunch of them laying around.

What do I have to be in denial of?

>Because they offer no advantage in learning
Physical > virtual, bar none.

>Physical > virtual
proof?
Any difference between installing gentoo on a vm or a real PC?

You actually installed Gentoo on a computer

and learning-wise it means...?

You learn how to set up distcc since compiling Gentoo on a Pi Zero would take forever

And how exactly is it different from making a vm with 500mb of RAM and a 1ghz cpu limit?

You're actually limited

You're literally wasting our tax money with this toy of yours to redistribute wealth towards yourself.

he's fat and lonely, most likely

Yes. There were a few companies that used raspi clusters to demonstrate docker-related tools and software while on the go. It gave them a toy datacenter that didn't need network connectivity, just a power outlet.

Yeah? Just looking at cores and speeds alone the zero has 20% more performance per dollar than the pi3A+. That's ignoring the extra memory bandwidth and memory amount per core on the pi zero. You're right though. I'm sure that startup cost isn't a factor at all.

/thread

You replied to three separate anons, retard.

not him, but Node is noob friendly, core libraries can get you anywhere
tcp, upd, http s

i built mine for redundancy and load balancing

Aren't these shit for tasks like that?
I was looking into making one too for 3D rendering as a dedicated render farm, but its specs are shit and comparably priced big boy hardware is just better.

Dude an rPi is like 5 dollars a year in electricity

That's any language with a half decent standard library.

node is retard tier easy, thats how webdevs have become app devs

I've never seen a node application worth using that wasn't written by a competent team of real programmers, and even those are rare. Maybe it powers a large number of retarded CRUD backends but so does PHP, and that language was similarly a shit generator. The signal to noise ratio of Node is astoundingly poor.

>monero mining
what year is it?

You stand to learn a lot more from a physical, tangible solution than a virtual one, not only are you more invested in actually giving your creation some kind of purpose, you'll also probably have more fun with it and thus retain more information, rather than just regurgitating wiki/man pages onto a simulated, slow VM cluster and then forgetting it all after you're done because there's no actual reason to do anything with it afterwards.

Having a little brick of shit on your desk that needs some kind of purpose is a great motivator compared to some files hidden somewhere in the depths of your home folder that do nothing but make your existing hardware slower and more complicated.