New to linux

hi guys whats the best distro to get into linux with

Attached: 050e35dbdba2dcad763b1ff0f8eacc6e--funny-cats-funny-animals.png (236x184, 85K)

Gentoo with self configured kernel.

LFS obviously.

Android

I bought a copy of redhat, hope this helps main poster

Attached: email-redhat-logo-request-11-08-2015-jpeg.jpg (375x225, 8K)

Fedora or Ubuntu.

I sell Unix consulting that the NSA would love to have but can't get because I am too high class for those communists. Just 90$ per 45min.

Yes I am dead serious.

DON'T GIVE REAL ANSWERS

WSL is what you need, faggot.
Just download a distro off the Microsoft store.

CentOS

I feel from OP's avatar choice CentOS isn't for him.
Get yourself a copy of novell's debian. That should satisfy all your needs.
Then slowly work up to Canonical's Fedora

you just gave him the real answer by saying don't give him the real answer

what kind of idiot are you??

KDE Neon

Attached: F9D9014C-B834-43C8-937B-17A6FD2670D0.png (478x456, 407K)

I AM SO SORRY

Xubuntu

Linux Mint or Ubuntu/Xubuntu.

the chad distro

Jow Forums is probably not the best place to go for advice on getting into Linux. Might want to try a Linux forum instead, since anons in general are not particularly known for being helpful to newbies.

>inb4 moralfag response
I want more people to use Linux, okay? If a newbie follows the typical Jow Forums advice and installs Gentoo, they're going to have a hell of a time using it, and they're going to naively assume that all Linux is like that.

t. autistic retard.

t. lol okay

KDE Neon

I like windows 10.

Linux From Scratch + your own package manager.

i'd take it for $45 for 90 mins

Archlabs then Arch

/thread

All real nigga responses.
Personally I would suggest Lubuntu or unironically Arch with a desktop environement of your choice.
Really you need to consider ease of install and ease of setup & use. Ubuntu is piss easy to install and DEs make set-up and use a nobrainer. The tough part is picking a DE.

what if I give you $1 to fuck off?

Lurk and learn. No rush.

gonna get memed on for saying this, but Solus. Budgie is a great desktop environment and their software repository is really good. It's the only distro of Linux that I've ever fully configured without needing to bust open the terminal to tweak things for hours.

This.
If you're looking for a good distro, go for something that pretty much works out-of-the-box, like Ubuntu or Fedora. Gentoo's alright, but it takes patience.

arch is fine
once you connect to the internet it's just installing pacman packages and copy pasting from the wiki

Yellow Dog Linux

Does Linux play nicely with laptops that have integrated and dedicated graphics? Does it function like Nvidia Optimus where it automatically switches between the two?

mint or ubuntu. In terms of DE the best for newbies are MATE, Cinamon, and xfce

Look into bumblebee

based

This works perfectly fine on my Debian laptop with a GTX 870M and Intel integrated stuff. You need to install a package called bumblebee in addition to Nvidia drivers. Debian distro pages have an excellent walkthrough.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

the one i use

Attached: linus torvalds cosplay.png (603x664, 601K)

manjaro

All of these replies but no definite answer.
As someone coming from windows 10, what is the best distro and DE for me to use to completely replace windows as my daily driver?

Attached: 36267453_158238671710477_6806216935756267520_n.jpg (720x505, 46K)

I installed it on my mother's laptop, because it ran Windows 10 slow as hell and she is able to use it no problem. Would recommend.

It's all user preference.
The best advice I got when I was making the switch was to try out as many Distros/DE as I could. Either in a VM or Live USB.
You can mostly make them them all look how you want so the biggest choice should be what update/software manager you like.

Ubuntu, Suse, Debian, Fedora (even mint) are all great.
xfce and mate have a nice windows-ish feel
unity and gnome are kind of modern vibes.

I came from windows 10 (still use it at work) to fedora default with gnome-classic. I am not sure what you would expect but for me there were no surprises, everything was obvious how to use. But be aware if you need some specific software that might be available on windows only, if it is the case then stay on win10.

>I want more people to use Linux, okay?
No you don't. Becoming more popular will eventually ruin the OS. If you want to escape the botnet by switching to GNU/Linux you either stay on Windows 10 or use the hardcore distros like Arch, Void, Gentoo, Slackware etc. right away instead of falling for shitty memes like Ubuntu. Phht, who still unironically uses that garbage distro? Back in july when i first tried [[Linux]] i was simply embarassed by that disfunctional and buggy trash heap. After that i installed Arch and only then i saw the light and the true power of the GNU/Linux and continued to ascend by installing and using the other hardcore distros since right now i triple boot Arch, Void and Gentoo. If you want Linux, install Arch right away (it takes 10 commands to install) or stay peasant and continue using Winblows 10 along with the rest of your botnets.

Being elitist is the only way to ascend to the greatness and by that you also HAVE to install Gentoo.

Install Gentoo.