/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Previous thread
>Read
>GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Programming questions?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>How to activate any version of windows?
>Where can I get Win 7 or LTSB?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Attached: 2362346.jpg (740x555, 50K)

Other urls found in this thread:

imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
support.rackspace.com/how-to/modify-your-hosts-file/
zwischenzugs.com/2018/01/26/how-and-why-i-run-my-own-dns-servers/
amazon.com/dp/B07J59V6PR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_Q4ZiCbBJTABT8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Why /sqt/ stopped having cute anime boys (and girls) in the OP?

Attached: 151766560352.jpg (896x1200, 149K)

Got a pair of wireless headphones for Christmas that connect via USB dongle. Whenever the dongle is plugged in, even if the headphones are powered off, it defaults the sound through that. My speakers aren't used. I've tried setting the speakers as default and that won't work. How do I set them up so the headphones have the sound played through them only when they're powered on?

If I use a stock photo with those watermarks plastered all over it am I breaking any copyright laws?
I know you can get versions without the watermarks if you paid
but I want to use the ones with watermarks over them in a video and it's going to be monetized, but it suddenly got me thinking
is the watermark there to stop people from using it, or is it like "you can use this, but we're gonna advertise ourselves too" kind of deal

What's a good mouse for a laptop? Wired or wireless, cheaper is better but I don't mind spending up to $50

Depends on your local copyright laws.
Jk, I don't think it does, but I'm no lawyer.
I mean, I've seen some videos with watermarked images and I get ads too.

Attached: 1234.png (632x327, 21K)

but I'm talking about these
not viral photos

Attached: young-customer-service-man-with-brace-doing-the-ok-sign-CRJ923.jpg (1300x999, 131K)

My phone absolutely sucks at picking up on WiFi connections. I'm not here for some sort of tech support service, I just want to know: Is there a way or some sort of hardware out there that'll let my phone not suck at picking up on WiFi? I have come to the conclusion that it's just a hardware issue, as it was a cheap phone (Alcatel Tetra, whopping $50 total including tax) and the good ol' turn it off and back on again just doesn't work for this hot garbage.

Is there something legit that I can plug into it? A part that I could replace with a better part?

My C program raises a:
sysmalloc: assertion
when I comment out a call to printf
WTF?

Bump. This shit defeats the whole purpose if I have to disable/enable something every time I want to start/stop using the headphones. That doesn't even include having to charge the damn things.

anyone else unable to receive emails through their cock.li account?

Is there an iso burning tool on windows that isnt malware?

ImgBurn for optical, rufus for usb.

Not quite building a pc, just looking for buying one as I am a complete incompetent, but I'm really having fun learning ue4, and I'm picking out one for boxing day, I was wondering if anyone would help me?

Attached: f0386b6b82657d115e130e9ec9bbf8ba.jpg (720x960, 49K)

>ImgBurn
I checked the download off the site on virus total and it didnt give the all clear.

On my roku, I discovered there's a developer mode where you can load channels right on to the roku by uploading them through WLAN.
My question is, with the staggering number of people who own a Roku, surely there's people who make channels to put on the roku through this? I've been looking all over online and I can't find one person who takes advantage of this.

Just scanned

imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

Only two bupkiss AVs had a problem. Just use ninite.com

I want to create a simple DNS server to redirect a specific url to another website, while letting all other requests pass. What's the simplest way to do that?

What's a lossless image hosting website? imgur compresses theirs iirc.

I want to use excel to track how I spend my time. I want every 30 minutes to be counted as a session but I don't want to only do work for 30 minutes. So what I'd like to do is be able to type in 40 minutes in one box, for example, and the adjacent box to calculate automatically how many session that is.

Unfortunately I am beyond dumb, what formula would I use to get this result?

If it's for yourself then the simplest way is to edit your host file. Add the website and the address you want to use (such as your own computer) and just go with that.

Link:
support.rackspace.com/how-to/modify-your-hosts-file/

If you legit want to make your own DNS server try this
zwischenzugs.com/2018/01/26/how-and-why-i-run-my-own-dns-servers/

Or any other number of resources.

>ninite
never heard of this program before tell me more about it?

Nevermind I just divided 1 by 30 and then will use that to multiply by however minutes I spend doing something.

Thanks

Click the boxes you want, it downloads a tiny installer, pulls the latest versions of those and runs a silent installer with best settings. Excellent way to install multiple programs with the least amount of bullshit possible. Also means you can update your programs with a single click by re-running the installer.

Use PCPartpicker to build your own PC. If not, what are you asking us, to buy you your PC for you? Just buy one dude...

Put it up on a cloud?

Sorry for being so autistic, I just need someone to hold my hand when I spend anything more than $20

What's your budget? Where do you want to buy it from? What do you want to do with it? If videogames, what resolution/refresh rate does your monitor have?

I have a budget of max 2k, including a mouse and keyboard, I'm looking for something that can run ue4 as smoothly as possible to build games, my monitor is freesync

No, that doesn't help.

2k what, USD, CAD, EUR?
And from where? You don't want to build a computer you will have to take what's available, so we need to know which shops you can go for. Telling you parts you'll have lower chances of a configuration like this actually being available.

Which resolution and refresh rate does the monitor have? This is important to know what kind of GPU you require.
Do you require it to be freesync compatible? That would limit the choice to AMD GPUs only.

neat, thanks user.
Think you can help me with another problem?

Trying to burn an iso but i\I'm getting this error for every cd ive tried;
E 01:59:17 Failed to Erase Disc! - Reason: Cannot Format Medium - Incompatible Medium

Are you using blank discs or CD-RWs?

I'm probably buying from amazon, and my monitor is 4k. I'm looking to build a game at the speed of original doom and dusk. I could just buy something right away, but I just want to make sure that I have another opinion that could warn/help me with making my decision

What do you want to know from us?
What's the question?

It's response time is 5ms

I'm using CAD

Freesync and is not necessary

Thank you for helping

CD-R and DVD-R is all that I seem to have. Why the crap do I only have readable discs. Is there a way to write to them or am I boned?

Is iBuyPower a brand I can spend money on with only getting reasonably fucked?

Sure.

4k is massive, you will need something like a 2070 or 2070TI to get 50+ FPS in modern games.
So depending on how complex yours will be go with one of them.
This will be way over your budget though.

If it's just a 2D game or you will never run it at 4k anyway then you can get away with a 1070/1070TI/Vega 56. But you will not hit 30+ FPS on these at other games on 4k.

Errgh, I ment a 2080 and 2080TI, sorry.

My friend is upgrading from an iPhone 8 Plus to a refurbished iPhone X. I was thinking about temporarily switching from my Nexus 5X to his 8 Plus for maybe a month or so just as an "experiment" of sorts. How hard is it to do things like transfer pictures, audio files, regular files, videos, etc. using iOS? I pirate a lot of apps on Android, and I use stuff like YouTube Vanced. How hard is it to do that sort of stuff on iOS without jailbreaking?

Seriously, thank you :)

I'm looking at this simply because it's on the edge of my price point, something that would really be great is a prebuilt computer that I could have the option of upgrading in a few years
amazon.com/dp/B07J59V6PR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_Q4ZiCbBJTABT8

If they've already had any kind of writing done, then they're probably screwed. You need completely untouched disks.

Try finding something with a 2080 and a 9700k instead to stay under budget.
No hyper threading, so compile time will increase but the 2080 will run 4k better.

If compile time is more important to you stay with the 9900k.

Attached: 1521990782173.png (1600x1061, 214K)

Compile time is waaaayyyy more fucking important, my old computer took literally five fucking minutes to compile one changed line of code, I'm fine with sticking at lower res for most games

Is there a command in Windows to do something like "copy all .png files of 2560 x 1440 resolution newer than Dec 1 2018 into this folder"?

I can do stuff like "Width: 2560" into the search bar and it will eventually narrow it down that way and copy using the GUI but it takes a long time for the search to run

I know some thinkpad t400s are librebootable but is the t400 with t9400 cpu librebootable

Do you think getting the 2070 and i7 is fine enough, meaning I'll actually be able to afford headphones, keyboard, mouse etc.?

I'm running an RTX 2070, and despite only playing in 1080p, my performance in FFXV is largely shit and drops down to 40 with these settings.
Am I wrong in assuming the card would manage 120fps (or at least a stable 60) at 1080p? Any Idea how to get a more stable framerate?

Attached: 20181226103325_1.jpg (1920x1080, 294K)

Is the GPU or the CPU on 100%?

CPU is on 70%, GPU is indeed on 100%, which is confusing to me as like I said, from what I heard about the card it should be able to handle 1080p.

Any websites that can let you compile your bookmarks on one single page? I don't want to use the toolbar for my bookmarks

I recently got a copy or RE4 UHD which I would like to mod but I've encountered a snag I can't find a fix for.
The mod in question is the HD project which re-does most of the textures in the game. In order to use it, you need to patch the game's exe to use 4gb of memory otherwise you'll crash like a bastard. It's simple enough to do - download another exe, run the program and patch the game's exe. However when I do it I can't launch the game afterwards. I get error code 0xc0000142. I've looked online and according to the help pages it makes cracked copies of the game not work. Is there a fix for this problem? Is there a version of the patch which does work with cracked copies? Or is there a pre-patched version available?

Attached: Bugs BUUUUUUUGS.jpg (642x513, 112K)

hdmi audio driver install option is missing. How to fix that senpai? I already used DDU but no luck.

Attached: Untitled.jpg (1194x494, 82K)

>Your IP have been blocked, Jow Forums users can still post.
HIROOOOO

If I simply never set up a Steam profile page. Does that mean it's impossible for others to view my play history etc?
And if I do set up a profile page, does that mean that everyone can view my history and I can do nothing to prevent it?

You can set your profile to private and no one but you can view it then.

But I can never like, remove the profile after making it, can I?
Any advantages to simply not having one?

What's the best way to root an Android phone (Moto g5s)? (Sorry for the dumb question)

Don't you always have a profile? You can set a vanity URL, but I think you always have one.
You can only delete games from your account or the account as a whole, but not the profile.

what is the actual purpose of the notch?

Do any proper online IQ tests exist, or do you need to do one in real life for a legitimate one? I strongly suspect that I'm low IQ, but I want to know how low.

So I have a windblows laptop and a connected HDD with huge tv show library. Is there any way I can stream a particular episode to my android device without moving it to the device manually?

Attached: 271.png (579x673, 533K)

Does a 90-day evaluation version of Windows 10 have more telemetry/botnet than an OEM version you can find on new computers? I have Windows 7 and it's fine but I want to try out Windows 10 just to have my own opinion of it

Depression.

Attached: 1ad45c2b7e0915fd5d7ef3e0054680c8.png (732x459, 245K)

I have a Fedora install for MUH GAMES and it FUBAR'd recently.
I am trying to check its logs from my LFS install because the boot log (normal kernel Dmesg-type thing) says something about NetworkManager failing to start but the important logs are all in fucking binary.
How the FUCK do I look at my logs from an absolutely minimal LFS?

Attached: systemd.png (454x159, 72K)

When I take pictures with my android phone, I notice that they get "category" tags added to them automatically. I took a picture of my hat just now and this appeared in the details. It's creepy that somebody or something knows the pictures I take. How does this work and how can I stop it?

Attached: 20181226_055933.jpg (833x531, 38K)

>this garbage randomly started to pop up whenever I hover over anywhere that allows for text input
I reinstalled the browser, removed every single extension, resynced shit up, nothing works.

Attached: Untitled.png (307x165, 6K)

Thinking of downsizing one of my servers. All it does is media stream, ftp,torrent, and client backup dump. Server is currently a 2012r2 box. I have a Zyzel 320s laying around that will do everything my server 2012 box does and more all while drawing less power and using less physical space.

Was gifted a Dell Inspiron for Christmas. Been trying to set it up but it runs extremely slow. CPU, Memory, and Disk all jumping to 80%+ and CPU running at 100% until I just restart the damn thing. All updates are complete. Tried reinstalling windows but I’m guessing win10 is too much for this little guy. Would downloading Win7 fix any of this? 4GB RAM btw

Just Wangblows things.

this is not your diary you retard

4gb of ram is pretty limited. Also if it's got an HDD, not SSD, that's a big problem for win10.

Being unactivated doesn't give it more telemetry, but you don't want to install an actual evaluation ISO, as those cannot be activated ever.

>4gb of ram is pretty limited
Huh?

Search exact model on XDA.

That's not a lot of ram for 2018.

How?
Why do you need more than 4 GB of RAM?

How the hell does copying images freaking works, why i am allowed to click on an image on a site and say copy image and then for example send it to someone on FB by pasting it and it pastes that exact image, what kind of black magic is this

Attached: 367373467.jpg (477x477, 41K)

What's the point of using an email client, like Thunderbird for example? Why not just log into your email inbox via web browser?

Both browsers can easily use 6+ by themselves. The OS can use up most of 4 by itself. And remember, if something can figure out a way to use more ram, you want it to. Otherwise it's not going as fast as it can.

Clipboard?
UI, security, privacy,etc..

>Both browsers can easily use 6+ by themselves
Firefox with 128 tab opened, less than 2GB.
The OS is using 345 MB.

>security, privacy
How would I lose security and privacy by logging in via a web browser, though? Because the web browser wouldn't be collecting data?

>Memory jumping to 80%
That's not a mistake. That's your system using what's available to it. If you had a lot more, it would use a lot more, and would therefore behave much faster. But if you don't have an SSD, I would start there. At least 240gb, go ADATA if you're on a budget.

How much can you realistically expect to boost your mic volume if you buy an amplifier?

Attached: 1490311635932.png (370x320, 10K)

Could anyone identify this macbook clone?

Attached: 1545810183195.jpg (4032x3024, 819K)

Multiple accounts.
Not every mail server has a web ui.

Phising attacks, offline messages, etc.

>falling for the SSD meme.
I'm not even using the SWAP.

Dude, if you think SSDs are a meme, you're beyond my help. Some day, years from now, you'll get your hands on a system that boots one, and you'll be like "holy fuck, that asshole was right". I hope that day comes sooner rather than later.

Yeah, because your OS isn't dumb enough to give you a cache at hard drive speeds when it doesn't absolutely have to.

I'm already using SSD, the boot time didn't change much.
It just boot 3 seconds faster now.

Only tards get SSDs for the boot times. It's about every other part of OS response. And if you've already got one, then move on to boosting your ram.

If you believe more RAM is better then you're the one beyond help.
It's the clock speed of it that matters.

>boost RAM
Unless you run several VMs, or deal with really large files, boosting the RAM will make a difference since it will decrease the need to write to the swap.
And if you have an SSD, more RAM would make little difference.
You remind me of the time when Jow Forums said you should have VRAM of the GPU should be 1/4 of your RAM for better performance.

need help hacking a registration

What Jow Forums x fork are you using?

Oneechan or Appchan X

Where are you even getting this shit from? It's like you browsed every conversation you could find, picked out the wrong points, and decided you were an expert. Fast ram can make a difference in certain situations, but if you don't have enough to run everything comfortably, then that can make a huge difference, because the speed of the slowest ram is so far beyond that of any other hardware, including SSDs.

It's your shit, but I would go for 8gb. That's not a controversial call for windows 10.

what's wrong with 4chanX?

>don't have enough
Define enough.
>windows 10
Most laptops with windows 10 comes in 2GB configuration though.

>Define enough
A sufficient amount of ram that you would not see a large performance increase in day to day tasks by adding more.

There's always been manufacturers willing to build cheap and painful systems, and people willing to buy them. Hell, people bought the original atoms. Some people would rather shave off that last $30 than have a 64 bit OS. But that difference in performance translates into time, which is more valuable to me.