Futatsu.org grand opening - hosted instance of Maniwani

/wdg/ among others probably knows this, but I've been working on an imageboard since about May or so named Maniwani (previous major threads , , and ), and I finally put up a hosted instance at futatsu.org. Most of the base imageboard features are there (boards, posting, etc.) with some nice extra features I don't think many engines have - try attaching code on the /code/ board, for instance, or use Markdown in your posts. I think Maniwani is the first imageboard engine with WebP support, too. Maniwani itself also has a REST API but I've disabled it on Futatsu until I get OAuth fully working. HTTPS is also missing on Futatsu at present (I'll get to it soon), but that has nothing to do with Maniwani itself.

There's a lot of features on the table that I plan to implement, such as the governance model discussed in the last big thread I made, in addition to some things like oekaki and everything listed in the issue tracker, but there's enough functionality that I thought it best to go ahead and host it as-is. Hopefully by spring or summer a lot of the current issues and features will get resolved. So go ahead, try it out, and give me your feedback. The GitHub repo is at github.com/DangerOnTheRanger/maniwani, if you want to contribute or just look at the code.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-12-26 Futatsu - home.png (1550x1170, 596K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/UprootLabs/poly-flif
rbt.asia/)
4kev.org/?style=windows95
futatsu.org
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WURFL
github.com/DangerOnTheRanger/maniwani
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>still no night theme

I'll get around to it eventually, I'm bogged down working on OAuth and live thread updating at the moment.

Attached: 1536980533325.png (1366x768, 1.13M)

looks souless. You cant target a niche community with such a bland and unwelcoming design

What an awful design

It'd be great if you could add flif support.

Any suggestions on what you'd change?

Have any browsers adopted the format? Even WebP is just now getting widespread support. I'm open to it if the format can actually be opened in most browsers.

Bump.

No offense but that is probably one of the most repulsive website designs I have ever seen. I commend you for putting your time to such a project but I honestly doubt anyone will want to use it.

>Have any browsers adopted the format?
nope

How do i see post numbers

What in particular don't you like about it?
They're hidden by default; hit reply to a post to see its post number. If Javascript is disabled you can see them all the time, however.

The landing page should display which board a thread is from.
Images should expand on hover.
Images should expand in place when clicked.
>amazon
>python

Lol at the pathetic ricers who can't even into user styles.
For the oauth support you don't mention what provider you are going to use. If you go with a third party please also support something else like personal tokens.

please use a staggered layout for the catalog

I don't think any browsers have support for it yet, but you can implement it in js github.com/UprootLabs/poly-flif

Design (on mobile) is plain but I like that as its out of the way, content is the focus. The body textarea needs to be a few rows taller, two lines is a little ridiculous, although it does work.

>/fate/
Nice. I am am glad you took up my suggestion, OP.

Attached: satisfied sakura.jpg (270x292, 54K)

I think people are reacting negatively to the design because it's just default/near default Bootstrap, which looks
perfunctory and corporate. An imageboard shouldn't look corporate.

Have a style instead of generic and bland.

Honestly, generic isn't that bad if it's the right kind of generic. OP could just rip off FoolFuuka's Yotsuba B (like you can choose on rbt.asia/) and it would be an improvement.

>The landing page should display which board a thread is from.
Someone suggested that, I plan on adding it.
>Images should expand on hover.
>Images should expand in place when clicked.
I want to do this but I'm working on other stuff at the moment, I'm only one man after all, user.
Staggered layout? Explain further.
I was looking at polyfills, though I think with such limited use there wouldn't be much of a return. I'm on the fence about essentially adding a JS-only image format. I'll keep it in mind though user, I always like adding more media support.
Yeah, I plan on resizing the textarea, I'm just spread a little thin so there's little rough-around-the-edges things like that that slip through.
Thanks again for all the suggestions in that one thread, user. Have another Saber on me.

You got me on the stock Bootstrap bit. I do want the CSS to be contrarian to the normal Futaba look though, partially just to experiment/do something different for the sake of being different, and in part because I want to see if I can find something better. After I get a couple more features implemented, I'll look more into styling.

Saber didn't attach, whoops.

My ideal would be something non-stock-Bootstrap that intentionally doesn't evoke Yotsuba. I think cutechan and fukuro have a bit of the right idea, for instance.

Attached: 1525307373939.jpg (686x441, 210K)

Self advertisement is not allowed. Fuck off teen

I'm not asking you to pay for anything, am I?

>it's not avdertising because i never told you to pay anything
? retard. fuck off

How do you think projects get publicity, user? Someone has to tell someone else at some point, might as well talk about an imageboard on an imageboard.

>Bootstrap standard (there is nothing wrong with using CSS frameworks, the minuscule effort poured into design however really shows)
>A lot of white space
>No visible themes
>Really hard to scan catalog and boards content/threads due to variable height
>Questionable board names (you are appealing to Jow Forums users, it makes sense to cater to naming schemes they used to). Don't be different just for the sake of it.
>Know your users (in this case, its Jow Forums)
>Clicking on an empty space on boards/catalog and home will select all content
>Post length cover the entire width instead of a maximum width to improve readability by reducing eye movement
>Clicking an image does not resize it to original resolution
>Permalink and Reply are the first things you see despite post content should be the primary focus
>Poor content/post separation. Individual posts are really hard to distinguish.
>Clicking New Post does not automatically focus the cursor to body field, despite being a dialog and blocking most of the content behind it
>Pressing a single enter doesn't break the line(move the following sentence to the next line); try your best in making it wysiwyg
>Checking the spoiler only display a spoiler warning, instead of just hiding the content altogether
>FAQ and Rules content should have a larger top margin
>Neat resizing animation
>Resizing the window slowly will cause the whole content to clip each other or just leave an empty space on the right
>Resizing the window to mobile will cause some content to clip on Boards
>Mobile menu is atrocious, should slide in from either side instead of pushing from top
>Mobile display thread stats in a very misaligned way
>Threads stats shouldn't be on navigation menu as users typically assumes all content within a predefined space work the same way. In other words, all of the stuff you put into your navigation menu should be a navigation unless you specifically defined their content space.

shit rules

Is there a way to go from a thread to the board it was posted on? I don't see one.

please use a statically typed language

>Catalog only view
While I approve of your lack of cross-site script calls, this is a hard no from me.
Fuck catalog view. Give me the classic paged-thread index system.

Why are your words Chinese? Are you Chinese?

>Bootstrap standard
I'm with you, I'll get some better frontend design soon hopefully.
>white space
This is more due to lack of user-posted content than anything else. It looks busy enough once there's stuff posted.
>no visible themes
Yep, I'm working on it.
>questionable board names, know your users
I think board names is a matter of opinion; I'm trying to target a different niche otherwise it's Jow Forums 2.0, and I don't think anyone wants that or would go there when we have here already.
>Clicking on an empty space on boards/catalog and home will select all content
Yeah, haven't gotten to fixing that either. I'm aware of it though.
>Post length cover the entire width instead of a maximum width to improve readability by reducing eye movement
I think it could be shortened a little bit, yeah. How do you feel about Jow Forums's post width, though?
>Clicking an image does not resize it to original resolution
Also on my bucket list. Honestly not that hard to implement, it's just there's other stuff I want to get out of the way.
>Permalink and Reply are the first things you see despite post content should be the primary focus
I think this makes for a better UI/UX personally, having it like that. Most forums do something similar.
>Individual posts are really hard to distinguish
Yeah, I'm trying to come up with something better.
>Clicking New Post does not automatically focus the cursor to body field
Also true. Another thing I'll get around to when I knock bigger features out of the way.
>Pressing a single enter doesn't break the line
This is standard Markdown behavior, Futaba and co. are the outlier here. I've thought about adding that in.
>Checking the spoiler only display a spoiler warning
What browser do you have? Spoilers hide the attachment in everything except the gallery for me in Firefox and Chrome.
>FAQ and Rules content should have a larger top margin
Noted, I'll play around with that.

>Neat resizing animation
Wish I could take credit but it's masonry.js' stock animation, thanks though.
>Resizing the window slowly will cause the whole content to clip each other or just leave an empty space on the right
Don't think I ever tried that, interesting. I'll look into it.
>Resizing the window to mobile will cause some content to clip on Boards
I'll double-check that, I thought that worked okay.
>Mobile menu is atrocious, should slide in from either side instead of pushing from top
How does sliding in from the side make for a better UX than from the top? Not necessarily disagreeing, just curious.
>Mobile display thread stats in a very misaligned way
Yeah, this isn't honestly that hard to fix but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
>Threads stats shouldn't be on navigation menu as users typically assumes all content within a predefined space work the same way
Fair point. Anywhere in particular you'd put it instead?

I appreciate all the feedback, user. This kind of thing is what I made the thread for. The project's only about 8 months old so there's a lot of rough edges, but please wait warmly.
Hit catalog in the navigation menu. Any suggestions on how to make that clearer?
Any particular reason you want the classic view back besides seeing which direction a thread took? It wouldn't be too hard to implement, but I feel I

Damn, posted on accident. Meant to say I feel I need to play with the UI as it is so I'm a little hesitant on adding another major UI view in the meantime.

Are you reinventing the wheel?

In the sense that Maniwani is another imageboard engine, yes, but I'm trying to make it as different as possible from the others out there within reason so I don't completely end up reinventing the wheel. I'm also using it to practice fullstack webdev and as resume material; it's invariably the open-source project of mine that gets the most questions from interviewers and stuff.
But yeah, part of the reason why I'm breaking from the established norm in so many areas is so it doesn't end up as the 25th Futallaby clone. Same reason why the board selection on the hosted instance is so different; I'd like to carve out a separate niche than the big-name imageboards.

>I think board names is a matter of opinion; I'm trying to target a different niche otherwise it's Jow Forums 2.0, and I don't think anyone wants that or would go there when we have here already.
Nothing wrong with that. As long as you know what you want to achieve and your core users, I won't press any further.
>How do you feel about Jow Forums's post width, though?
Shit. The mobile version is better in reading posts although rubbish in displaying images. You need to experiment whats the best (max or min) width for each common resolution out there (including 4K).
>Spoiler
I made a mistake there, sorry. I was assuming the spoiler was meant for post content, not images. Still, should hide everything instead of applying a light opacity where you can sort of view the content.
>How does sliding in from the side make for a better UX than from the top?
Because users can't see multiple different things at the same time. When they click a navigation menu, chances are, they want to navigate somewhere. Displaying content doesn't help the user to focus on the menu, worse, distracting and limiting the view. Sliding in from the side(usually left since we (english) read from left to right) means anything from within this menu is outside what you are viewing right now ie telling the user the menu is not related to the currently viewed content. Pushing from top or even sliding from top indirectly tells its part of the content, since most of your content is listed from top to bottom. Also, a nav menu needs to scale as the site grows (full height). See the reddit's or even gmail implementation of its nav menu on mobile. Simple, straight to the point. Slide in from the left side for navigation menu is the standard, not a rule if you have sliding animation.
>Thread stats placement
I am biased, at the bottom or hidden with a button. Thread stats are unnecessary in a discussion and should only be displayed on thread listing, not within the thread itself.

>You need to experiment whats the best (max or min) width
Gotcha, just checking. Post width was one of the things I actually modeled close to Jow Forums.
>Still, should hide everything instead of applying a light opacity where you can sort of view the content.
Yeah, I was leaning towards that. Honestly I kept it the way it was since I was so proud of figuring out how to make the spoiler overlay with CSS only.
>Because users can't see multiple different things at the same time.
I never thought about it that way, interesting. I'll make a note of having the mobile menu come from the side.
>I am biased, at the bottom or hidden with a button. Thread stats are unnecessary in a discussion and should only be displayed on thread listing, not within the thread itself.
That's fair, I had some stats visible from the catalog as it is. I'll see if I can whip something up to move the remaining stats there or just simply not show them. Thanks for all the feedback, user.

use the 4kev win95 theme if you can find it

It's not in 4kev's repository and I can't find it on 4kev.org, you got a link or picture I can use?

>is responsive and mobile-friendly by default
You do realise that if you're trying to make a "better" imageboard the first step is to ban all mobile user agents? The remaining mobileposters who know how to get around that can also get around a desktop site design.

Based and degeneracypilled

Attached: Screenshot_20181227-121210.png (1440x2560, 1.1M)

4kev.org/?style=windows95

I think the content/moderation of the board has a greater effect than allowing/disallowing mobile phone posting. The double-edged sword of running a loose ship moderation-wise means you've placed yourself at the mercy of whoever happens upon your site and you don't really have any way of forcing them out.
Guess I've stayed awake for too long, thanks. I'm not the biggest fan of it but once I get customizable themes working I'd accept a PR for it, at least.

It looks like pintrest or something..

I honestly don't get the logic behind trying to look different from "normal" imageboards. Imageboards specifically look different from "normal" websites, by distancing yourself from that you're just getting back into the territory of every single nusoycucklet modern "web 2.0" design. Default bootstrap is obviously ugly as all shit, but even riced bootstrap looks very gay 99% of the time.

Unless you can come up with something that differentiates itself from the average modern shitty website AND from the classic semi-retro look of imageboards, and doesn't look like complete ass to achieve this (a win95 theme is interesting but not something I'd find very pleasing to look at on a website), then I really think you're better off associating with the latter rather than the former.

>futatsu.org
HOW FUCKING SMALL IS THE UPLOAD LIMIT??? CANT POST WEBSM

This is worse than Wix

Attached: B5974954991B48DABB92AEB3F258EB1A.png (400x400, 282K)

cringe, how old are you?

I think Pinterest is probably the most well-known use of the whole wall-of-cards content stream the way I've stylized the catalogue, yeah. I'm personally a fan of the much larger thumbnails opposed to the tiny ones you get in the catalog in here and most other places like 8ch, it emphasizes the image. I'm admittedly concerned about how well it'll scale with a hundred or so threads in a single catalog, though.

To me there's not much point in making yet another imageboard engine if it's just going to look and act like all the others out there. Like I've said elsewhere it'd still be good resume material, but that's not fulfilling enough to me. So yeah, part of it is just being different for the sake of being different and seeing if something good is consequently born from the process.

nginx config on AWS is borked and won't let anything beyond 1MB go, sorry - I'll let you know when I fix it, should be within a day. ELB's method of overwriting nginx configs is way harder than it needs to be and I'm seriously considering moving over to a bare EC2 instance.

>So yeah, part of it is just being different for the sake of being different
But my point is so far you've failed at being different, you just made it similar to something else, and my point is that something else is much worse.
If you can manage a unique look that's both not aesthetically jarring but also doesn't look like yet another case of "modern web design" then good for you and I'd very much want to see that, but I just don't see that happening right now.

>it's another "user makes a shitty dead imageboard" episode

I don't disagree that stock Bootstrap doesn't look that great, it's just I've spent more implementing backend features that help differentiate it from other imageboards versus the frontend. Now that most of the basic imageboard features are there and the code isn't full of security holes (been a hectic 8 months) I'll allot more focus on polishing the UI/UX - if there's any modern websites you think I should take inspiration from, I'd be happy to take a look.

>Staggered layout? Explain further.
the threads should be tiled horizontally like here on Jow Forums, i found it very confusing otherwise

ok rape u next week

In the catalog for each board as well as the front page, threads are listed chronologically from left to right, most recent bump first. I have some JS that accounts for the thread previews being of unequal sizes and adjusts the layout to remove waste/empty space, though with JS disabled it falls back to a pure flexbox implementation, see pic related. Or were you talking about having the classic board overview that displays a couple posts from each thread?

Attached: Screenshot_2018-12-27 Futatsu - home.jpg (1588x1782, 502K)

yeah I think it shoud be like your pic, maybe more polished with previews having the same size
pic related is how it looks for me, is it pure flexbox?

Attached: Cattura.png (1920x1018, 2.24M)

Make the thumbnails square and the previews have a cutoff. Dashchan catalog is really pleasing look at.

Attached: Screenshot_20181227-145554.png (1440x2560, 1.15M)

Holy shit this is fantastic. Good job user.

The preview boxes should be the same height. Hell, align-items has it's default value as stretch, I'm not sure why you'd change that to flex-start. Also limit the image height in catalog so that the individual items don't get too high.

This, I've experienced a lot of "new and cool" imageboard software, even some popular stuff like vichan. But it all ends up either closely mirroring the classic kareha/wakaba or just being shit.

Yeah, what you're seeing is because you have JS enabled and masonryjs takes over the layout in that instance. The user below you had some interesting ideas that I think might help bring about what you're looking for, though.

Previews do have a cutoff but everyone has written pretty short bodies for their OP so far, except for my grand opening post on the site; cutoff length could do with some tuning, though. Square thumbnails means non-1:1 aspect ratio attachments (pretty much all of them, in practice) will get cropped, and I'm not the biggest fan of that. I think a good compromise would be that the OP gets to select what 1:1 section of their attachment gets used as the thumbnail - what do you think about that? It would probably take a little bit to implement (I'm juggling implementing several different things right now), but I like the concept.
Also quick reminder that the imageboard engine itself is open-source; link to the repo is at the top of the thread as well as in the footer on Futatsu - help working on features would be greatly appreciated! Don't worry, I'm still taking everyone's suggestions into account, just be aware that it could take a little bit for me to implement some of them.

Thanks user, it really warms my heart to hear people say stuff like that.

The big obstacle to that was my aversion to cropping images (and there's no way to guarantee same-size previews with the current style otherwise) but with the manual cropping idea I mentioned earlier in this post I think same-height preview boxes are fairly easily workable.

You're not wrong, which is why I'm trying to differentiate with backend features too (built-in 3D model viewing + Latex/PDF rendering soon, hopefully, you can already upload code as attachments and get it thumbnailed), but I'd rather make the attempt to be different and maybe fail than just be the bajillionth remix of Futallaby.

Attached: 1528597120089.png (900x706, 342K)

(I was the last quote in your reply)
Well user, I'll monitor your progress and check out your cool software, like I do with all Jow Forums projects.

what is this mobile phone mess jesus

Yeah automatic image cropping is a disaster desu. Even when you have people whose only job is to create content and choose pictures that work with a well specified cropping. Yet the literal retards manage to choose pictures that get cropped in the worst possible ways, and break and misuse every single component you create. It's going to be even worse when anonymous shitposters are on it.

I post on /wdg/ whenever I add a major new feature so as not to blogspam the catalog if you want to keep up. I thought I'd go and make a separate thread now I'm actually hosting the thing somewhere, though. I'll also try to make a habit of using Futatsu itself as the platform to relay development news once it gets a small following.

The whole cropping situation is a choice of poisons, since you either end up with thumbnails of differing size and have to work with the unevenly-sized thread previews (the current situation) or force all thumbnails to be the same size and force the end-users to deal with the trouble of cropping on their end. I'm not sure how clear I made it earlier, but the way I saw the thumbnail cropping feature work in my head was, the imageboard shows a preview thumbnail with the original aspect ratio maintained, and then the poster gets to drag an overlay in their browser across the thumbnail to pick what to crop. On a side note, I wonder if 16:9 cropping would work better than 1:1 since I'd bet most images come in 16:9 as it is. I don't think 16:9 stacks horizontally as well as 1:1, though.

>good software
>cool guy developing it
>MIT licensed
Most based fucking Jow Forums project ever.

Here is an idea for cropping: Just center the image and crop the borders (using CSS, do not actually crop the image itself). Then on mouse over it removes the crop giving it a "pop-out" effect.
Of course you'd need to experience how disruptive it would be from an UX point of view.

Stop it user, you're making me blush.
I like the concept, though how would you want that to work on mobile?

Attached: 1536206660430.gif (500x249, 1.21M)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WURFL

This is what my web class teacher used for his enterprise solutions, it serves different content for different devices, this way you can really serve different solutions for mobile and PC, optimal imo, but not sure what people are using nowdays. Probably something else.

I meant more along the lines of how your idea would be implemented on mobile. Since you can't really hover on a phone, I was thinking maybe a short tap on the thumbnail would bring up the larger uncropped version, while a slightly longer hold visits the thread itself the way clicking on thumbnails in the catalog works now. Then again, maybe it wouldn't be a good idea to mess with the ingrained notion of tap being equivalent to click. Also, I don't think anyone has actually commented yet so far on whether or not the mobile catalog is good or not, so I'm unsure of whether it even needs to change in the first place. I definitely like your idea for the desktop version, though.

Just don't let people view the whole image on mobile until they go into the thread. Keep it Simple, Stupid.

>longer hold visits the thread
Don't do this.
Either do or keep it for mobile as it is right now.

I like the idea, I really do.
But the frontend is lacking, my man. Looks poluted as fuck. Is it open source? Can I help you? I'm bored and I need something to put on my resume and also a sandbox I can practice my frontend skills.

Yeah, messing with established UX conventions probably is a bad idea. Thanks for helping dissuade me from that path, user.
I'm pretty rough around the edges when it comes to frontend stuff, so any and all help (on the backend too, for those more comfortable with that) would be appreciated. Everything's at github.com/DangerOnTheRanger/maniwani if you want to take a look around and hack away on the frontend.

You did a really, really good job. I'm going to set up my own instance with your software and anytime I make worthy changes or fixes I will make a pull request so you can benefit from my work.

You did a good thing by releasing this under MIT license, and you will find that this software gets really popular. Vichan is dead, all hail Maniwani.

>Catalog thumbs too big.
>The thumbs aren't aligned,looks retarded and it's confusing.
>No dark theme
>Thread theme lacks contrast which makes it hard to distinguish replies
>that jumbotron looks ugly , too big and empty, maybe center the text or put a picture.
>Make board links contain the boards name
Run an audit from chrome dev tools if you didnt already, you could also look into seo.
>Use a cdn for public libraries and css
The jquery from the google cdn is only 30kb and loads in 65 ms while yours is 85kb and loads in 395kb. Not to mention the much higher cache hit rate.
Also consider using a cdn for whatever custom stuff you have.
>Dont use a modal for replies, I want to copy paste stuff from other replies
>Make a more mobile friendly version with bigger buttons

The new reddit design is unironically good, especially the feature where threads open as a modal or whatever that is.

Imo general design is the biggest thing you should change, the rest can come later.

ALL HAIL FUTAMOOT, CREATOR OF MANIWANI AND HARBINGER OF Jow Forums'S DOOM.

Ok, I'll fork it later and play along with it. If I come up with something that pleases me, I'll send you a message over there and a solicitation to collab.

Imo you should really make all boxes containing threads in the catalog (or whatever that is) the same size, else it makes it chaotic. I see you are lacking in front end but you are strong with back end stuff, nothing wrong with that, keep it up bro.

it's not bad but im no fan of the way it looks. it's no tinychat/vichan.
> Content posted must be legal in the United States, where this site is hosted.
consider hosting it in a nation that is not a totalitarian censorship and spy apparatus. euro servers are best and are better at protecting free speech than the americans (surprising, i know!) kek.

Thanks for the compliments and future PRs, user, really means a lot to me. I hope Maniwani takes off, too.

>Catalog thumbs too big.
Maybe ever so slightly. I personally prefer them a bit large since it provides incentive to post interesting/topical images.
>The thumbs aren't aligned,looks retarded and it's confusing.
There's been some back and forth in this thread about whether to crop thumbnails so they can all be properly aligned. It definitely wouldn't come for free, unfortunately, but I'm amenable to aligning + cropping the thumbnails.
>No dark theme
Soon, user. Soon.
>Thread theme lacks contrast which makes it hard to distinguish replies
Yeah, you got me. This definitely needs to be worked on.
>that jumbotron looks ugly , too big and empty, maybe center the text or put a picture.
Yeah, I also agree with you here.
>Make board links contain the boards name
Which/what board links? The index has all the board names. Do you mean in the navbar inside threads and stuff? I think that would be a good change.
>Run an audit from chrome dev tools if you didnt already, you could also look into seo.
Holding off on SEO till Maniwani has matured a bit, but I definitely will.
>Use a cdn for public libraries and css
I definitely plan on doing so but was holding off until people started bringing up site performance since it's extra money out of my pocket.
>Dont use a modal for replies, I want to copy paste stuff from other replies
Text inside the modal is saved if you close it. Did you want a separate page entirely? You can get one if you disable JS. I'll make it user-configurable at some point, maybe.

Appreciate it user, thanks. Let me know if you run into issues setting anything up.
How do you feel about cropping thumbnails? I'm interested in everyone's opinion on that. Thanks for the encouragement, too.
Any place in particular you'd recommend? I feel Europe's laws are more restrictive on the whole, but I'll hear you out.

He's being an idiot. The US is the best place to host your content unless it is child porn or copyrighted materials that have rabid defenders, neither of which have a place on an imageboard.

looking at the way Jow Forums does it it seems it's not necessary, just max width and max height, with the thingy adapting to the maximum height of the container that is also set. Don't over engineer it, just copy how Jow Forums does it.

I agree, and I don't intend to host CP or anything approaching warez to begin with as it is (Futatsu board topics are a lot less generic than the average imageboard to hopefully incentivize better discussion), but I wanted to hear what he had to say anyway.
I think the underlying issue is that the way I have the catalog CSS set up requires that the thumbnail take up the full width of the thread preview so it fills out to the borders the way it looks now, and then to preserve aspect ratio the thread preview can sometimes have odd/funky heights - this is why there was talk of cropping earlier. Jow Forums doesn't have that kind of style, so it doesn't have to do that. As I mentioned earlier, I'm trying to avoid the Jow Forums/8ch/etc.-style catalog layout and go with something different, but then you get pitfalls like this issue here.

>Which/what board links?
futatsu.org/boards/fate instead of /boards/1
And thread links are /board/OPs id, just like Jow Forums
>it's extra money out of my pocket
Using googles cdn(or any other) for jquery/bootstrap is free.
You should look into cloudflare too, you get ssl/tls,cdn,caching,anti-ddos and other stuff for "free(?)"

>futatsu.org/boards/fate instead of /boards/1
Really easy to implement, just haven't gotten around to doing it yet for some reason.
>And thread links are /board/OPs id, just like Jow Forums
Do you meant /boards/fate/1234, or /boards/1234?
>Using googles cdn(or any other) for jquery/bootstrap is free.
>You should look into cloudflare too, you get ssl/tls,cdn,caching,anti-ddos and other stuff for "free(?)"
I'll look into Cloudflare but I wasn't quite sure whether or not Futatsu would fit in the free tier. And their cheapest commercial option is a relatively steep $20/month. I was also looking at AWS Cloudfront since I was using a lot of the AWS stack anyway and it seemed basically free for how much traffic I imagined Futatsu getting for a little while. Either way, I definitely plan on adding a CDN.

Regarding the image cropping I got another idea. You could have a max height for the preview container, show the image preview in it's original ratio, and then show an as much text in the preview as there is space for.

>any particular reason?
Its the classic futaba style of all chans and catalogue view sucks ass.

I like that idea too, but I'm not sure what would happen for weird corner cases like thin, tall rectangular images - which aren't handled well at all right now, admittedly. Honestly, having to deal with content with unpredictable aspect ratio is such a pain.
What don't you like about catalog view? I'd rather not include/remove a feature solely based on whether or not Futallaby had it, since I'd like to shake things up a little bit. Still, I'm interested in knowing what the catalog doesn't give you that you wish it did.

Just set a max height to something static and max width to 100%

Also just find some different bootstrap theme, there's tons of them online

Yeah, I'll give it a shot and post some comparisons to /wdg/ sometime. Far as themes go, I'll also look for some shortly. The ideal would be a totally custom look, but I'm not good enough with web design color theory to pick out a scheme that looks reasonable just yet.

>that one guy who posted guro
Didn't realize I had broken deletion from S3 buckets a while ago, thanks.

for better mobile experience, aka no borders on the containers, put it on your lowest media query or whatever you use to define the mobile experience
.container-fluid{padding:0;}

Attached: 148386664718418487.jpg (1525x2160, 853K)

You're talking about just for the catalogs and front page, right? I do think it looks nicer.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-12-27 Futatsu - home(1).jpg (1440x2960, 481K)

yeah for the catalog, there is more shit to tweak though.
.thread, .thread-sizer{
width:100%;
margin: 0.2em 0;
}

For some reason this breaks the height of some the boxes, not sure why, you should check that.

Can you provide a screenshot of what it looks like in your browser? Not quite sure how specifically the height is broken.

not the height, just some elements height cut off the reply button, others are fine